'Pay Teachers More'

If you want to take advanced math courses, then you should take them in college where you should pay for them.

The majority of U.S. high schools offer calculus as apart of their curriculum. If we start to devolve our educational system by omitting advanced courses, then we're just dumbing down our students. Plus, it is helpful for those to take it during high school and not have to pay for it in college.

I also just used that as an example of why I want a teacher to be knowledgeable.

I'm fairly certain that most Calculus teachers today have pretty high IQ's. But whether they can DO higher level math or whether they can TEACH it, has little to do with IQ. Being an expert in children is as important as being an expert in one's subject area. That's why teachers are on probation their first three years. Some people just aren't cut out for it. It takes a thick skin, a sense of humor, and a whole lotta patience. IQ has nothing to do with those attributes.

If you want to take advanced math courses, then you should take them in college where you should pay for them.

The majority of U.S. high schools offer calculus as apart of their curriculum. If we start to devolve our educational system by omitting advanced courses, then we're just dumbing down our students. Plus, it is helpful for those to take it during high school and not have to pay for it in college.

I also just used that as an example of why I want a teacher to be knowledgeable.

Oh, well, let's not dumb-down our students....ANYTHING but THAT!!:eek:

After all, so many take Calculus in High School:tongue:

Actually, plenty of students take calculus. Especially those who are aiming for advanced, A.P., or I.B. diplomas.

Last edited:
:eek:

The profound level of your posts never ceases to amaze me.

:lol::lol::lol:

Do any students studying foreign language take French?

Your sarcasm is overbearing. I think I'll enter into other conversations... :)

Probably a good idea.

This thread is about Paying Teachers More.

One reason we cannot pay more, is because we allocate the education budget to absurdities that have nothing to do with the purpose of public education (providing citizens with enough education to run a democracy). One of these is teaching AP and IB, both of which can, and should be taken in college where students pay for their education.

Well I disagree with you there Samson. Unless we graduate kids at 14 (which you've suggested) we need higher level courses to keep our best and brightest challenged.

But I do agree that "paying teachers more" will not translate into better candidates applying for jobs. Teaching requires on the job training, and no one can predict with certainty whether they will be good or not. Teacher education programs don't prepare future educators to handle half the crap they have to deal with. They should offer an entire course in dealing with intentional flatulence and profanity. Lol

Well I disagree with you there Samson. Unless we graduate kids at 14 (which you've suggested) we need higher level courses to keep our best and brightest challenged.

But public school is not, and never has been, the vehicle for "challenging our best and brightest."

This is what college is for.

Retaining the Best and Bightest in the Public Warehouse for an extra 4 years pretending that it could be worth their while is not only expensive, but also a drain on the resources that could be spent on developing the BASIC knowledge and skills for AVERAGE citizens of a democracy.

Probably a good idea.

One reason we cannot pay more, is because we allocate the education budget to absurdities that have nothing to do with the purpose of public education (providing citizens with enough education to run a democracy). One of these is teaching AP and IB, both of which can, and should be taken in college where students pay for their education.
Well I don't agree with you concerning AP. I think Advanced Placement is important and should be in the budget of every district. The AP students are the ones most likely to be the leaders of tomorrow.

You are right that there is too much in educational budgets that don't contribute to better education. We spend huge sums of money collecting information for the state and federal DOE as well as the local district. We report on everything that students do or don't do. We report student progress and we report the lack of progress. We count kids. We count books. We count tardies, we count spills of bodily fluid. We report on why kids fail. We report on why kids pass. Every time a legislator says we need to know..., there goes another hundred thousand gathering more information.

We teach classes on being a good citizen. We teach state history. We teach black history. We teach Indian history. We teach just about anything the legislature thinks kids need to know.

Probably a good idea.

Well I don't agree with you concerning AP. I think Advanced Placement is important and should be in the budget of every district. The AP students are the ones most likely to be the leaders of tomorrow.

You are right that there is too much in educational budgets that don't contribute to better education. We spend huge sums of money collecting information for the state and federal DOE as well as the local district. We report on everything that students do or don't do. We report student progress and we report the lack of progress. We count kids. We count books. We count tardies, we count spills of bodily fluid. We report on why kids fail. We report on why kids pass. Every time a legislator says we need to know..., there goes another hundred thousand gathering more information.

We teach classes on being a good citizen. We teach state history. We teach black history. We teach Indian history. We teach just about anything the legislature thinks kids need to know.

The reason the public school is responsible for reporting their financial activity is because it is a public school.

What, you don't think government bureaucracy should be accountable for their activity?

The American public school was never designed to cater to Gifted and Talented students or Special Ed students, but for the Average Joe.

The reason the expense of public school is so enormous is it instists that EVERYONE can be satisfied, including AP students that think that they can save a few bucks letting the public finance their highly specialized course requirements, and then testing out of those courses for college credit.

Teachers in Two US States Walk Out for more pay, better pension benefits...
icon11.png

Teachers in Two US States Walk Out in Funding Protests
April 02, 2018 - Tens of thousands of teachers in the U.S. states of Oklahoma and Kentucky took to the streets Monday, demanding better pay and more funding for education.
Classrooms in both states — Oklahoma in the southwestern part of the country, and Kentucky in the mid-South — were shuttered, some because of the teacher walkouts, some because of scheduled spring breaks. The teacher protests in Oklahoma City and Frankfort, the capital cities of Oklahoma and Kentucky respectively, mirrored a similar nine-day strike in West Virginia, where teachers recently won a pay raise to end their walkout.

In Oklahoma, with the third-lowest teacher salaries among the 50 U.S. states, the protesters said funding concessions made by state lawmakers last week were not big enough to improve education there. Some school systems only hold classes four days a week for lack of funding for a five-day week and use 20-year-old textbooks.

3602D8D8-C2C4-449C-87D3-C746BBBE3EDE_w650_r0_s.jpg

Teachers picket around the Oklahoma State Capitol in Oklahoma City, April 2, 2018, as teachers rally against low school funding.​

The Oklahoma teachers' union is demanding $10,000 raises for teachers, $5,000 pay boosts for support staff and $200 million in new education funding. But state lawmakers only agreed to smaller amounts: a $6,100 teacher pay boost, $1,250 for support staff and $50 million in new education funding. Even with the pay boost, some Oklahoma teachers said they have to take on second and third jobs, such as working at restaurants or mowing laws, in order to make enough money to pay their household bills.

In Kentucky, teachers protested changes to their pension plans that lawmakers tucked into a bill about sewage and demanded more state funding for school systems. The teachers decried the fact that there is no change to cost-of-living adjustments to their pensions and that they will have a limited number of sick days they can put toward their retirement.

Teachers in Two US States Walk Out in Funding Protests

See also:

Okla., Kentucky schools close as teachers demand better pay
April 2, 2018 -- Thousands of teachers in Oklahoma and Kentucky walked out of classrooms Monday to pressure lawmakers for higher wages and better resources.
In Oklahoma City, teachers rallied for the cause and forced the closure of about 200 schools in the state. Union officials say the walkout is expected to last one day. "There is a disturbing common message: more and more people ... are saying, 'I don't know if I can AFFORD to do the world's most important work," Lily Eskelsen Garcia, president of the National Education Association, said in a statement. Robyn Waldrop, a kindergarten teacher from Putnam City Schools, said she must work several jobs, including tutoring and working at a farmers market. Waldrop's daughter, Lauren, held a sign that read, "My mom shouldn't have to work two jobs to support my family and yours."

In Kentucky, teachers gathered at the state capitol in Frankfort to demand Gov. Matt Bevin veto a controversial bill passed last week that made significant changes to educators' pensions. "We have no choice but to be here," Jeffrey Peeno, a Kenton County art teacher, said. "We have to represent what we do. When they pass this with the sewage bill, it tells us exactly what we need to know about what they think of us." Teachers filled the halls of the capitol with shouts of "Vote them out!" and "Enough is enough!" Many signs took aim at Bevin, who has accused teachers of "selfish" and "thuggish" behavior for opposing the pension overhaul plans. "We will be back in the schools when our members tell us to," Alicia Priest, president of the Oklahoma Education Association, told CNN earlier.

Okla-Kentucky-schools-close-as-teachers-demand-better-pay.jpg

Thousands of educators, parents and students gathered outside the capitol in Kentucky in protest education budget cuts.​

Priest said the organization is asking for teachers to receive a pay raise of $10,000 per year, as well as additional funding to the tune of $200 million over the next three years. "It's not about teacher pay raises. It's not about being greedy and needing what I need. It's me seeing what my kids need and recognizing that I can only do so much in the classroom," David Walls, a seventh-grade teacher in Moore, Okla., told ABC News. Earlier this month, teachers in West Virginia were given a 5 percent raise after nearly two weeks of a school shutdown -- which inspired other educators to do the same. Kentucky's GOP-controlled legislature said the pension reform bill was crafted to help the state cover a $41 billion shortfall in pension costs over the next 30 years. Educators say the bill cuts into their futures too much and would only generate $300 million in savings.

As many as 10,000 teachers, parents and students are expected to attend Monday's demonstration in Frankfort. At least two Kentucky districts were forced to close Friday due to teacher absences. Bevin, a Republican who has not announced whether he will sign the legislation, tweeted in support of the pension bill, saying public workers owe "a deep debt of gratitude" to lawmakers. "Forty-nine members of the Kentucky House and 22 members of the Kentucky Senate voted not to keep kicking the pension problem down the road," Bevin tweeted. "Anyone who will receive a retirement check in the years ahead owes a deep debt of gratitude to these 71 men & women who did the right thing."

Okla., Kentucky schools close as teachers demand better pay

People wanr good teachers without paying them. Case in point oklahoma. Shame on oklahoma for treating them like dirt. Even mcpukes gives raises. Not a raise for ten years...some schools down to your days a week. Talk about backwards.

Actually, plenty of students take calculus. Especially those who are aiming for advanced, A.P., or I.B. diplomas.
The actually figures are 68% of students in college took calculus in high school. Most high schools who go to college will take algebra, pre-calculus, and calculus. Many students will follow that with statistics or another advance math class. If a student is going into any of the science and technology fields they should take as much as they can in high school.

People wanr good teachers without paying them. Case in point oklahoma. Shame on oklahoma for treating them like dirt. Even mcpukes gives raises. Not a raise for ten years...some schools down to your days a week. Talk about backwards.
Teachers in a number of red states are finally rebelling, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and West Virginia this year.

I think the problem is the results that the schools are getting. I think most people would be willing to pay teachers more-if students performed better.

I personally have no problem throwing money at teachers-but not blindly. I think our education system needs to be revamped. A good compromise is to pay teachers more, but get rid of tenure. Getting rid of tenure will naturally make is so that the best teachers are in the classrooms (or at least the worst teachers are out), and by raising salaries you add more incentive to potential teachers.

I don't think education is something that can be fixed just by paying more money-but I also don't think GOOD teachers get paid enough-bad teachers are overpaid and should be fired.

If our teachers are so good....why are the students in this country lagging so far behind the rest of the world?

Students have been coddled. They're push through, give a million "2nd" chances, undisciplined, etc. I had a student tell me to "fuck off" last week...because "I failed them" (they slept everyday in class and did no work). Their consequence? The office reviewed the rules with them and explained what appropriate behavior is. You think that kid learned any lesson whatsoever? They'll push him through regardless. PS: he's 16, old enough to know better.

I think the problem is the results that the schools are getting. I think most people would be willing to pay teachers more-if students performed better.

I personally have no problem throwing money at teachers-but not blindly. I think our education system needs to be revamped. A good compromise is to pay teachers more, but get rid of tenure. Getting rid of tenure will naturally make is so that the best teachers are in the classrooms (or at least the worst teachers are out), and by raising salaries you add more incentive to potential teachers.

I don't think education is something that can be fixed just by paying more money-but I also don't think GOOD teachers get paid enough-bad teachers are overpaid and should be fired.

If our teachers are so good....why are the students in this country lagging so far behind the rest of the world?

Students have been coddled. They're push through, give a million "2nd" chances, undisciplined, etc. I had a student tell me to "fuck off" last week...because "I failed them" (they slept everyday in class and did no work). Their consequence? The office reviewed the rules with them and explained what appropriate behavior is. You think that kid learned any lesson whatsoever? They'll push him through regardless. PS: he's 16, old enough to know better.

Sounds like your school sucks.

Forum List

Back