'Pay Teachers More'

I doubt very much that you've dealt with attempting to get services provided from public schools either from private schools or homeschooling. For the past 8 years it's been close to impossible to get them to agree to testing until March, by then they've run out of budgeting and try to get the case carried over into the next school year. Call in the fall and they respond with, after we finish testing here, we'll call back. It takes the parents to threaten lawsuits and guess what? These are often the same folks who pulled their kids out of public schools because they didn't want the child tested in the first place.

You do not have an inkling of the system.

Homeschooling parents have a very difficult time just getting the appropriate texts even though the school must provide them or provide the ability to get them through publishers.

BTW, standardized tests are interchangeable. Each state has their own version of 'state tests' based upon certain criteria. Iowa Basics and Terra Nova have both been providing the same, for more years than any state tests.
You use the word system as if there were one system. There are as many systems as there are districts and services can vary tremendously from district to district. In the district I worked in, I doubt you would have the problems you experienced. The reason is our superintendent and board were commitment to partnering with private schools, homeschoolers, and the community to provide quality education to all students in the district.

Sorry about your bad experience.

You were the one that started speaking in generalities. You were the one that spoke about 1 test for public and standardized testing in other schools not being of the same standards. Ha, my guess would be that in creationist leaning states, their 'standardized' tests by the state are not quite that. You won't see that problem with independent tests such as Pearson, (Terra Nova) or Iowa Basics.

You 'doubt' regarding your 'system'? LOL! What would you expect the superintendent to say regarding 'best for all', since the requirements are law? As I said, you've not an inkling.
I believe in most states, I know it is in Florida, the Superintendent is legally responsible for the education all K-12 student within the district, regardless of whether they are home schooled, in public, or private school. However, the actual availability of services such as testing and special ed. varies from district to district. It shouldn't but it does.

BTW As I recall Iowa Tests of Educational Development is just for grades 9-12.

I did not know that.

But I am curious about the growth of homeschooling through the use of the internet, the growth of its popularity, and how it would save states' budgets.

In Colorado, because of the many remote Mountain communities, Internet Schooling seems to be more popular than in most metropolitan areas. But there's no reason it COULD NOT be more greatly utilized......RIGHT?

Unless parents are using public schools as free baby sitting services.:confused:

:eusa_hand:
Of course we know, they'd never do that.

I think home schooling could be used a lot more if the parents have the time, dedication, and the right home environment. I would think home schooling several kids at different grade levels would be pretty hard.

So, then you believe parents do not have the time, dedication, and the right home environment.....perhaps this is the problem, since this is where kids spend most of their time.

Anyway, here's some MYTHBUSTERS:

Myths and Facts About Online Schools| Colorado Virtual Academy

MYTH: Students who attend online schools lack socialization and social skills.
FACT: Students at the Colorado Virtual Academy have the opportunity to participate in many academic and social outings. These outings and activities may include trips to museums, skate parks, zoos, clubs, student government, dances, and even graduation ceremonies.

MYTH : You’ll spend all day staring at a computer.
FACT: While attendance, planning, and assessment are all recorded online, only about 30 percent of the K-8 lessons are taught online, with the percentage higher for high school as students work at more of a collective pace online in conjunction with the teacher. The rest of the K¹² curriculum relies on printed and/or hands-on materials, including beautifully crafted textbooks, paint, rocks, and telescopes.

MYTH : Attending the Colorado Virtual Academy is a part-time job.
FACT: Students will need to spend about four to six hours on schoolwork each day, depending on grade level.

MYTH : Online schools don’t meet the curriculum requirements for public schools.
FACT: The Colorado Virtual Academy is a public school that happens to operate outside of a traditional classroom. As public school students, your children will be expected to spend a certain amount of time each day engaged in schoolwork. They will also be required to take standardized tests mandated by the state of Colorado. COVA students also have district-approved graduation requirements, aligned to meet state university admission standards. The K¹² curriculum was developed by experts to meet or exceed Colorado Academic Standards, and has proven to be one of the top-scoring online school curriculum programs in the nation
Interesting.

Both parents work in 58% of families in the US. I really don't see how home schooling would work in most of these families. In the remaining 42%, I think you would have to eliminate the functionality illiterates, homemakers that are overly burden with child care, housekeeping, and other duties. Also, there are a lot of parents that are very happy with the local public or private school in their neighborhood and are not about to take on home schooling. Then there's the issue of the kids who want to be in band or play football, or simply just want to go to school with their friends. When you consider all this, I don't think home schooling is ever going to be an option for most parents, although I think it has some room to grow.

I think home schooling could be used a lot more if the parents have the time, dedication, and the right home environment. I would think home schooling several kids at different grade levels would be pretty hard.

So, then you believe parents do not have the time, dedication, and the right home environment.....perhaps this is the problem, since this is where kids spend most of their time.

MYTH: Students who attend online schools lack socialization and social skills.
FACT: Students at the Colorado Virtual Academy have the opportunity to participate in many academic and social outings. These outings and activities may include trips to museums, skate parks, zoos, clubs, student government, dances, and even graduation ceremonies.

MYTH : You’ll spend all day staring at a computer.
FACT: While attendance, planning, and assessment are all recorded online, only about 30 percent of the K-8 lessons are taught online, with the percentage higher for high school as students work at more of a collective pace online in conjunction with the teacher. The rest of the K¹² curriculum relies on printed and/or hands-on materials, including beautifully crafted textbooks, paint, rocks, and telescopes.

MYTH : Attending the Colorado Virtual Academy is a part-time job.
FACT: Students will need to spend about four to six hours on schoolwork each day, depending on grade level.

MYTH : Online schools don’t meet the curriculum requirements for public schools.
FACT: The Colorado Virtual Academy is a public school that happens to operate outside of a traditional classroom. As public school students, your children will be expected to spend a certain amount of time each day engaged in schoolwork. They will also be required to take standardized tests mandated by the state of Colorado. COVA students also have district-approved graduation requirements, aligned to meet state university admission standards. The K¹² curriculum was developed by experts to meet or exceed Colorado Academic Standards, and has proven to be one of the top-scoring online school curriculum programs in the nation
Interesting.

Both parents work in 58% of families in the US. I really don't see how home schooling would work in most of these families. In the remaining 42%, I think you would have to eliminate the functionality illiterates, homemakers that are overly burden with child care, housekeeping, and other duties. Also, there are a lot of parents that are very happy with the local public or private school in their neighborhood and are not about to take on home schooling. Then there's the issue of the kids who want to be in band or play football, or simply just want to go to school with their friends. When you consider all this, I don't think home schooling is ever going to be an option for most parents, although I think it has some room to grow.

My point wasn't that it should be an option.

In light of increasing school costs, the band, football, and "being happy with the [traditional] public school," or "going to school with friends" become increasingly luxurious in a world that demands more internet learning. Why not make it more a part of public education?

If anyone wants to be with friends, play football, or be happy playing the tuba, why should the public pay?

I think the problem is the results that the schools are getting. I think most people would be willing to pay teachers more-if students performed better.

I personally have no problem throwing money at teachers-but not blindly. I think our education system needs to be revamped. A good compromise is to pay teachers more, but get rid of tenure. Getting rid of tenure will naturally make is so that the best teachers are in the classrooms (or at least the worst teachers are out), and by raising salaries you add more incentive to potential teachers.

I don't think education is something that can be fixed just by paying more money-but I also don't think GOOD teachers get paid enough-bad teachers are overpaid and should be fired.

If our teachers are so good....why are the students in this country lagging so far behind the rest of the world?

I think the problem is the results that the schools are getting. I think most people would be willing to pay teachers more-if students performed better.

I personally have no problem throwing money at teachers-but not blindly. I think our education system needs to be revamped. A good compromise is to pay teachers more, but get rid of tenure. Getting rid of tenure will naturally make is so that the best teachers are in the classrooms (or at least the worst teachers are out), and by raising salaries you add more incentive to potential teachers.

I don't think education is something that can be fixed just by paying more money-but I also don't think GOOD teachers get paid enough-bad teachers are overpaid and should be fired.

If our teachers are so good....why are the students in this country lagging so far behind the rest of the world?

I'll 'splain for the 1355th time.

No other country is the USA.

Interesting.

My point wasn't that it should be an option.

In light of increasing school costs, the band, football, and "being happy with the [traditional] public school," or "going to school with friends" become increasingly luxurious in a world that demands more internet learning. Why not make it more a part of public education?

If anyone wants to be with friends, play football, or be happy playing the tuba, why should the public pay?
I don't know if the world is demanding education delivered via the Internet. I know it would be very cost effective if we could just sit all the kids down at computers at home and education would just happen without teachers, schools, and all the associated cost. We are not there yet and in my opinion we will probably never be there. A computer is a good tool in education but it remains a tool and it doesn't replace the teacher or the school.

Things like band, sports, chess club, debate team, math competitions, science fairs, class projects, school projects, and drama club are important parts of education. Many students are motivated by their teacher and seek approval and recognition from the teacher. For some students peer pressure is a very important motivation. Socialization and team work is one of the most important things kids learn. Kids just don't get these things sitting at home in front of a computer. These things are not luxuries. They are an important part of education.

I recall two teachers, one a seven grade math teacher, the other a Physics teacher. They were great teachers and really motivated me. I doubt I would have gone on to college if it had not been for these two teachers. I think there are millions of kids that have had similar experiences. Somehow, I just don't see a computer replacing teachers like this.

Last edited:
Yes social skills are as important as academics IMHO. A computer can not teach you manners or discipline. A computer cannot teach you to get along with people who are different or you may not even like. A computer cannot smile.

A free compulsory public education is an American institution that has made this country great. It will not go away.

For millions of American children, school is the only place they feel valued and safe. However, when they don't feel safe, they cannot learn. And that's something that should make people angry. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the worst schools in this country are the most dangerous. That should be the #1 priority of school reform.

Not everything is subjective. When I was 18 years old, I could run a mile in about 4:30 and three miles in under 15 minutes. That is not subjective. It really, really happened.

Today I could do neither of those things. Again, not subjective. A real hard fact.

Another fact is that our educational system used to produce students who ranked number one in the world on test scores. Now they are 19th. Not subjective. Stack ranking.

Unions and particularly unions comprised of governemnt workers overwhelmingly support Domocrat politicians through contributions. Again, not subjective. Fact.

A good way to measure anything is to determine first what is measurable and how to measure it. Once this is done, you are faced with the problem of doing something to move the needle. For 25 years, our educational system has moved the needle down.

Instead of talking about the unfair wages which have been rising, why not talk about the unfair results which have been dropping. Both of these, again, not subjective. Facts.

Actually, everything is subjective because enable for something to be true it must be held as true by everyone in the world. Enable for something to exist, then someone must acknowledge its existence (perception = existence). While it may exist to that single person, it may not to everyone else (because for something that is considered true to single person is a form of opinion which ties into the concept of subjectivity). The idea that we have gravity is not true either because gravity did not exist before time and space was created (not to mention mankind didn't really define what gravity is until Isaac Newton did). Even that statement I just made is subjective because that is what I believe (while others may not/do not know about it).

Another explanation is that enable for something to be true it must be permanent and since nothing is permanent then nothing is true. Give me an atheist and a theist. One believes in a god, while the other does not. Are they both right? No because it is their opinion (of course, this is a more obvious example).
Everything I just said up there is subjective. This is nothing but a simple Taoist principle...

Oh, and the reason why wages are rising (which I trouble believing because I have educators in my family who have been in a pay freeze for about six years) is because the value of that the worldwide economy is always growing. Just because their wages are rising, doesn't mean it makes a huge difference. I can tell you. I have a close friend who's a single mother of two who is currently teaching English at a high school and she can barely support her children. She tutors, teaches at Sylvan, etc. It's still not enough.

Also, the concept is simple... if you raise requirements and increase pay then you will attract better, more qualified educators.

Everything you wrote that i highlighted in red might get you a high grade as you compare the writings of aquinas to hume, but in the real world, it's rubbish.

Kennedy did not acknowledge the existance of the bullet that blew the back of his head off. Does that mean that bullet did not exist? Your argument is empty.

Permanence does not equal truth. In fact, the very nature of truth, since this is more of a societal thing than it is a fact, almost demands that it is constantly changing. A fact on the other hand just is. That is the definition of a fact. Truth demands understanding while fact demands nothing. It simply is.

"If you raise requirements and increase the pay..." Do you see the flaw in what you propose? The only thing you need to do to raise the requirements is to raise the requirements. It has already happened in every segment of society except public works.

Talk to anyone who works for a privately held company who has worked in the same position for an extended period of time and you will find that they are doing more, are responsible for more, are producing more and are involved in more than they were 5 years ago and that they are making about the same wage rate in inflation adjusted dollars or less.

Why should teachers be different than the rest of society?

If the USA paid teachers like WALL STREET pays its workers, what do you suppose would happen to the average IQ of our educators?

I suspect that it might improve somewhat.

Anybody disagree?

If the USA paid teachers like WALL STREET pays its workers, what do you suppose would happen to the average IQ of our educators?

Anybody disagree?

if the value of the stocks did what the test scores have done over the last 25 years, Wall Street Workers would be paid like teachers.

DJI is up around 10,000 points.

Chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Averages since 1974

You use the word system as if there were one system. There are as many systems as there are districts and services can vary tremendously from district to district. In the district I worked in, I doubt you would have the problems you experienced. The reason is our superintendent and board were commitment to partnering with private schools, homeschoolers, and the community to provide quality education to all students in the district.

Sorry about your bad experience.

You were the one that started speaking in generalities. You were the one that spoke about 1 test for public and standardized testing in other schools not being of the same standards. Ha, my guess would be that in creationist leaning states, their 'standardized' tests by the state are not quite that. You won't see that problem with independent tests such as Pearson, (Terra Nova) or Iowa Basics.

You 'doubt' regarding your 'system'? LOL! What would you expect the superintendent to say regarding 'best for all', since the requirements are law? As I said, you've not an inkling.
I believe in most states, I know it is in Florida, the Superintendent is legally responsible for the education all K-12 student within the district, regardless of whether they are home schooled, in public, or private school. However, the actual availability of services such as testing and special ed. varies from district to district. It shouldn't but it does.

BTW As I recall Iowa Tests of Educational Development is just for grades 9-12.

Once again, you're wrong, they are standardized tests for grammar school students:

Iowa Tests of Basic Skills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iowa Tests of Basic Skills
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS), also known as the Iowa Tests, are standardized tests provided as a service to schools by the College of Education of the University of Iowa. The tests are administered to students in kindergarten through eighth grade as part of the Iowa Statewide Testing Programs, a division of the Iowa Testing Programs (ITP). Developers E. F. Lindquist, Harry Greene, Ernest Horn, Maude McBroom, and Herbert Spitzer first designed and administered the tests, originally named the Iowa Every Pupil Test of Basic Skills, in 1935 as a tool to improve instruction.[1] Over decades, participation expanded and currently nearly all school districts in Iowa participate annually in the program, as do many other school districts across the United States. In a cooperative relationship, participating schools receive ITBS test materials, scoring and reporting services and consultation in the use of ITBS for instructional purposes, and ITP utilizes participation by schools in research and test development.[2]

Anybody disagree?

Are you implying that Wall Street workers have high IQ's?

:lol:

Naive.

Anybody disagree?

What evidence is there that smart people make good teachers?
Best teacher I ever had was a football coach. Taught me to be a man, stand up, do right, make no excuses, work hard in the real world, the classroom second, the field third, play fair (well most of the time:lol:)and get better each day.
And he wasn't very smart as far as IQ goes.

Best teacher I ever had was a football coach. Taught me to be a man, stand up, do right, make no excuses, work hard in the real world, the classroom second, the field third, play fair (well most of the time:lol:)and get better each day.

Well, I would like to have a calculus teacher be knowledgeable of the subject he or she is teaching and be fairly intelligent. Now, what you are talking about is wisdom and common sense (both which are necessary and essential characteristics in an effective teacher).

Well, I would like to have a calculus teacher be knowledgeable of the subject he or she is teaching and be fairly intelligent. Now, what you are talking about is wisdom and common sense (both which are necessary and essential characteristics in an effective teacher).

Good.

Go to college and pay for a Math Professor.

Pay sanitation workers more. You would die if they didn't handle your garbage. Pay Cops more, as a matter of fact require a PHD degree to walk a beat. It all sounds good but we can't afford it so we do the best we can.

Forum List

Back