Pay for the military

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
Much has been made by those on the right here on USMB, about supposed lefties who are either down and out or are living paycheck to paycheck, and of course what a bad thing this is, and how only those on the left, who RELY on the Federal government for their very being, would live such a life.

With this in mind, why was so much made about how the Federal government shutdown would hurt military families and how such a shut dwon could make military families destitute and possibly lose their homes, etc. Are military families lefties? All of them? Really?

Much has been made by those on the right here on USMB, about supposed lefties who are either down and out or are living paycheck to paycheck, and of course what a bad thing this is, and how only those on the left, who RELY on the Federal government for their very being, would live such a life.

With this in mind, why was so much made about how the Federal government shutdown would hurt military families and how such a shut dwon could make military families destitute and possibly lose their homes, etc. Are military families lefties? All of them? Really?

For the same reason that $250,000 a year is "middle class" when it comes to taxes, but $100,000 a year pay for a teacher is too high.

Really? I don't recall ever having such conversations.

But why are you down on the troops? Fact is most anyone who is used to a certain paycheck to suddenly have it cut off could be rather devastating. I had my income cut by nearly 2/3s while waiting for disability, the only bill that really got paid was the mortgage. We spent $9 on Christmas that year. Thankfully it was the Mrs and I, one son who was 30 and my Brother. No kids... And just FYI the active military is mostly Conservative.

But why are you down on the troops? Fact is most anyone who is used to a certain paycheck to suddenly have it cut off could be rather devastating. I had my income cut by nearly 2/3s while waiting for disability, the only bill that really got paid was the mortgage. We spent $9 on Christmas that year. Thankfully it was the Mrs and I, one son who was 30 and my Brother. No kids... And just FYI the active military is mostly Conservative.

Not down on the military. Just trying to figure out why they are not subject to the same brow beating that the right wingers on here give others who may live paycheck to paycheck. Why was it so important to ensure these budget challenged individuals got their paychecks, when those non-military folks who live paycheck to paycheck are so easily disregarded by right wingers on this board?

Are you thrown in the clink for not showing up to work when you're not getting paid?

Which has WHAT to do with living beyond your means?

As a soldier.. I had the freedom to spend or not spend as I chose.. even though I made less than 1K per month...

The complaint was that the soldiers, of all people, should receive their compensation... I lived thru the government shutdown before as a soldier... and did what I had to in order to scrape by... and showed up for my duty EVERY damn day... I saw some who did not go so carefully... and put things on credit... or ones that did not save for a rainy day... seen plenty of soldiers who were on the verge of bankruptcy... and saw some get into mega trouble for it...

And you know damn well that those that were talked about relying on the government to exist were not the employees, but the entitlement junkies

Are you thrown in the clink for not showing up to work when you're not getting paid?

Which has WHAT to do with living beyond your means?

As a soldier.. I had the freedom to spend or not spend as I chose.. even though I made less than 1K per month...

The complaint was that the soldiers, of all people, should receive their compensation... I lived thru the government shutdown before as a soldier... and did what I had to in order to scrape by... and showed up for my duty EVERY damn day... I saw some who did not go so carefully... and put things on credit... or ones that did not save for a rainy day... seen plenty of soldiers who were on the verge of bankruptcy... and saw some get into mega trouble for it...

And you know damn well that those that were talked about relying on the government to exist were not the employees, but the entitlement junkies

The military families interviewed on FOX and CNN were entiltment junkies? How do you know?

Last edited:

Not down on the military. Just trying to figure out why they are not subject to the same brow beating that the right wingers on here give others who may live paycheck to paycheck. Why was it so important to ensure these budget challenged individuals got their paychecks, when those non-military folks who live paycheck to paycheck are so easily disregarded by right wingers on this board?

I don't believe that anyone who is working for a living has been browbeaten. Those who expect a handout so they don't have to work maybe....

But why not guarantee our troops of whom many are in war zones that we will make sure their families at home are taken care of while they are dodging bullets and explosions of various types? God knows it wasn't easy for my family and it certainly can't be any easier today.

I don't believe that anyone who is working for a living has been browbeaten. Those who expect a handout so they don't have to work maybe....

But why not guarantee our troops of whom many are in war zones that we will make sure their families at home are taken care of while they are dodging bullets and explosions of various types? God knows it wasn't easy for my family and it certainly can't be any easier today.

Ahhhhh....here it comes. "because they are dodging bullets". Isn't that their chosen profession? We have a 100% VOLUNTEER military, which by the way has some damn good benefits that go along with it. They are simply DOING THEIR JOBS, the same as everyone esle. Why shoul dthey be guaranteed ANYTHING more than anyone else?

Ahhhhh....here it comes. "because they are dodging bullets". Isn't that their chosen profession? We have a 100% VOLUNTEER military, which by the way has some damn good benefits that go along with it. They are simply DOING THEIR JOBS, the same as everyone esle. Why shoul dthey be guaranteed ANYTHING more than anyone else?

Sometimes I really have to wonder if it was worth it. Or at least if some people were.

I did not see a conversation about living paycheck to paycheck. I can't imagine why anyone would not complain that there are our troops FORCED to continue in COMBAT-- forced to die for their country without pay. AND OR forced to worry about how their families rent would not get paid and they would go without food and in worrying are far from mission ready. They would not be focused on the job at hand ( WAR) but on if their family was okay and that would put them in a situation where they were got themselves killed and or their unit.

Sometimes I really have to wonder if it was worth it. Or at least if some people were.

Based on the military and DOD budgets year over year? You and me both....

Why shoul dthey be guaranteed ANYTHING more than anyone else?

They should be guaranteed more because a stressful day at the office isn't Bob forgot to refill the coffeemaker, but that they may be spread into a paste over a quarter acre of real estate.

The greater the risk, the greater the guarantees.

CaféAuLait;3523028 said:
I did not see a conversation about living paycheck to paycheck. I can't imagine why anyone would not complain that there are our troops FORCED to continue in COMBAT-- forced to die for their country without pay. AND OR forced to worry about how their families rent would not get paid and they would go without food and in worrying are far from mission ready. They would not be focused on the job at hand ( WAR) but on if their family was okay and that would put them in a situation where they were got themselves killed and or their unit.

FORCED??? What part of "volunteer military" are you struggling with?

They should be guaranteed more because a stressful day at the office isn't Bob forgot to refill the coffeemaker, but that they may be spread into a paste over a quarter acre of real estate.

I will ask you as well, what part of "VOLUNTEER MILITARY" do you not understand?

I will ask you as well, what part of "VOLUNTEER MILITARY" do you not understand?

The question I was responding to had nothing to do with volunteer or not.

The greater the risk, the greater the guarantees. Else you don't voluntarily enter into the agreement.

The greater the risk, the greater the guarantees. Else you don't voluntarily enter into the agreement.

Obviously, you have never served, because there was NOTHING signd that guranteed pay period!

Obviously, you have never served, because there was NOTHING signd that guranteed pay period!

Never said there was.

Reply to what was written, not what you think was said. Try it sometime :thup:

Your analogy is preposterous and frankly, dishonest. Our military contribute to the well-being of ALL of us, this nation as a whole, more so than any other segment of society. And they do it thanklessly while being labeled "baby killers" by the far-left whackaloons and dip shits like the psychotics at Westboro.

Knock it off.

Forum List

Back