Paul Ryan: "Let's Make This Country a Tax Shelter"

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Nick Baumann and Brett Brownell

After calling the Cayman Islands "the place where you hide your money," Ryan said we should make the United States more like that notorious tax haven.

In 2010, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), now Mitt Romney's running mate, called the Cayman Islands "the place you hide your money," arguing that the United States needs to slash tax rates below those of other countries in order to make this country "a haven for capital formation." But in previously unreported comments, from an interview with American Business Magazine in August 2011, Ryan went even further on the same topic, saying, "let's make this country a tax shelter for other countries instead of having other countries be a tax shelter for America."

Romney has been criticized for his use of controversial tax techniques and overseas investment vehicles, including some in the Caymans—where he has at least $30 million in assets—and other well known tax havens. Here's how one expert described tax haven countries to our colleague Stephanie Mencimer:

James Henry, a former chief economist at McKinsey & Co., describes offshore tax havens like the "bar scene in Star Wars." He explains, "Dictators and kleptocrats used them to conceal stolen loot. Arms dealers and drug dealers use them to launder their deals. Google and Apple and Pfizer use them to park their intellectual property and pay themselves tax-free royalties. Banks use them to park lousy loans and stash the offshore accounts and assets under management of their wealthy individual clients, many of which are paying zero taxes back home…And so on."​

Here's the transcript of the full Ryan interview; the "tax shelter" line, which was pointed out to Mother Jones by a tipster, begins at 18:22 in the full video, which you can see here. You can also jump down to the full Q&A.

As you can see in the charts below, the United States already raises significantly less money (as a percentage of GDP) from corporate taxes than most other first-world nations, and although corporate tax rates are high here, corporations' effective tax rates—what they actually pay—are lower than those in most other first-world economies.

More: Paul Ryan: "Let's Make This Country a Tax Shelter" (VIDEO) | Mother Jones

NOTE: The above link contains several live supporting source links.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKo2t_W_uT4&feature=player_embedded]Paul Ryan: "Let's Make This Country a Tax Shelter" - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
And who wants this clown to be Vice President of the United States - a heartbeat away from the presidency?

Who cant love this guy Lakota..........puts it on the tee for conservatives every single day in this forum...........

Lets face it........Joe Biden is pure proof that the old mantra, "In the United States, you can be whatever you want to be!!"..........is clearly true.

Bidenism's...........

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened." –Joe Biden, apparently unaware that FDR wasn't president when the stock market crashed in 1929 and that only experimental TV sets were in use at that time, interview with Katie Couric, Sept. 22, 2008 (Watch video clip)

"A man I'm proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next President of the United States — Barack America!" --Joe Biden, at his first campaign rally with Barack Obama after being announced as his running mate, Springfield, Ill., Aug. 23, 2008 (Watch video clip)

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking." --Joe Biden, in a private remark to an Indian-American man caught on C-SPAN, June, 2006 (Watch video clip)

"Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number-one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S, jobs." --Joe Biden, Athens, Ohio, Oct. 15, 2008 (Source)

"My mother believed and my father believed that if I wanted to be president of the United States, I could be, I could be Vice President!" --Joe Biden, campaigning in Youngstown, Ohio, May 16, 2012

"Folks, I can tell you I've known eight presidents, three of them intimately." --Joe Biden, Aug. 22, 2012

“Did you know Romney once strapped a dog to the roof of his car? I’d never do that. I once let my dog drive the car. At least that’s what I told the police when I crashed into a goalpost at the football stadium.”

“Look at me! I can speak Chinese! Chee chong choo choo!”

Last edited:
Hey Lakotra.................

laughing_man-1.jpg

Interesting idea. Let's allow all the drug king pins and other organized crime and tax cheats to save some car fare, and put all their money here. Is Ryan really this fucking stupid?

And who wants this clown to be Vice President of the United States - a heartbeat away from the presidency?

He wants to attract capital...and thats a problem for you?

But you're happy about...

2127847458_Crazy20Joe20Biden_xlarge.jpeg

You really are one stupid fuck. We already attract capital. Overseas investors who put money in US banks don't pay US tax now. How the fuck do you remember how to breath?

Oh, Liberals think that government is the only money making enterprise! Now that makes sense

If you have a strong government you don't need capital or business

You didn't built that!

Shitting Bull is upset because Ryan wants other countries to invest here, bank, here, etc. Why do you hate America, Shitting Bull? Still all butt hurt about losing your land? Get over it.

He wants to attract capital...and thats a problem for you?

But you're happy about...

2127847458_Crazy20Joe20Biden_xlarge.jpeg

You really are one stupid fuck. We already attract capital. Overseas investors who put money in US banks don't pay US tax now. How the fuck do you remember how to breath?

It's not just banks, Dear.

Pay attention in class

poor Lakhota such a sheep who doesn't even understand haft the shit he spams this board with

Last edited:
Ryan is a tool, folks.

He's more than ready to sell out the American people for thirty pieces of silver and a shot at the White House in 2016.

A man of Irish decent whose family escaped the famines in Ireland. The very famine that was the brainchild of the BRITISH LIBERTARIANS of the 19th century as they attempted to starve the Irish race to death

Ryan has become the exactly the same kind of self serving Libertarian monster that tried to kill his own family and his own race 150 years ago.

I guess that this is his idea of the American dream...to become the sort of monster that his family had to escape from.

Shameful.

poor Lakhota such a sheep who doesn't even understand haft the shit he spams this board with

Starkey and Greenbeard tell him what to get upset about and its only 50/50 that he understands the subject in the first place

Ryan is a tool, folks.

He's more than ready to sell out the American people for thirty pieces of silver and a shot at the White House in 2016.

A man of Irish decent whose family escaped the famines in Ireland. The very famine that was the brainchild of the BRITISH LIBERTARIANS of the 19th century as they attempted to starve the Irish race to death

Ryan has become the exactly the same kind of self serving Libertarian monster that tried to kill his own family and his own race 150 years ago.

I guess that this is his idea of the American dream...to become the sort of monster that his family had to escape from.

Shameful.

Bringing capital and entrepreneurs to the USA is "selling us out"?

Really?

wow, you would think foreign investors in this country is SOME NEW thing

only now it's called, selling us out

Forum List

Back