Patriotism Test

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DGS49, Jun 26, 2012.

1. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    Could you write a short essay on the topic, "What Makes America Special?"

Recognizing that very few of us actually have detailed knowledge of what it is like to live in another country, I still don't think it would be unreasonable to expect any well-informed American to write a short essay on the topic. (NOTE: I use "ROW" to mean, the rest of the world).

My personal essay (maybe I'll post it later) includes sections on:

Educational opportunity (anyone with sufficient intelligence and perseverance can go as far as they want educationally);

Economic opportunity (many, many fortunes are made all the time by people who start out with next to nothing, mainly through entrepreneurship and/or investment);

Technology (The US is in the forefront of technology in virtually every major field of endeavor);

Entertainment I (TV, Film, Music, gaming, electronic entertainment);

Entertainment II (Spectator sports and events: US has unparallelled variety and quality. ROW has...soccer...wake me up when it's over);

Entertainment III (Participant sports: golf tennis, bowling, cycling, skiing, etc., etc., etc., and most are much cheaper here than in ROW due to America's size);

Communications (we lead the world - for better or worse);

Freedoms (communication, artistic, behavioral, political)

Medicine (access to the best the world has to offer, though we might have to pay for it)

NOW, it is my experience, especially on the Internet, that when some people write about what makes America "special," the first things they think of are substandard infant mortality rates, math scores, and negative things like that.

But if you would like to think of yourself as a patriotic American then this assignment should be relative easy.

What makes America great?

2. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,770
    What makes America really great is I can get on the internet and tell blowhards like DGS49 to go fuck themselves.

Sincerely,
    manifold

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. daws101

daws101 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,112
    [Patriotism] ...is a word which always commemorates a robbery. There isn't a foot of land in the world which doesn't represent the ousting and re-ousting of a longline of successive "owners" who each in turn, as "patriots" with proud swelling hearts defended it against the next gang of "robbers" who came to steal it and did -- and became swelling-hearted patriots in their turn.
    - Mark Twain's Notebook

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.
    - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. Gideonprime

Gideonprime Guardian of the Wastes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Let's see should it be About how exceptional we are at locking our population in prison?

How about Forprofit warehousing of the sick, old and oh yeah Prisoners?

I woudl agree there are many things that make America great. However, I do think of myself as a patriot American and assuch it is my duty to point out where we stumble and fall flat. Forto ignore such travesties is toonly make America a weaker less civil adn free place to live.

As such your premiss that only positive things should be mentioned in an essay would make the essay or the writer patriotic is utterly false and flawed. IMO.

5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,823
    What makes America great: getting to pretend that people that don't agree with you are anti-American.

6. Gideonprime

Gideonprime Guardian of the Wastes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    awesome!

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Yes, I could.

8. initforme

initforme VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    I frankly have never bought into this "exceptionalism" jargin. The US a decent place to work and raise a family just as I have done. It has its own unique culture and history just like every other country. But it has been falling flat since the late 70's. Steady decline in my eyes.

9. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    I choose not to.

10. Cowman

Cowman Cows Have Liberal Minds

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +714
    What makes America great is that I don't have to prove patriotism, or even be patriotic.

I can love this country in my own way... and not under some silly guise of patriotism that somebody else has defined.