Patriotism Over Partisanship - A Conservative's Pledge

The BKP

Grand Inquistor
Jul 15, 2008
In the wake of the President’s inauguration, the vanquished wantonly forsook the traditional mantle of the loyal opposition. In its’ stead they donned the threadbare and tattered robe of the blind antagonist. Granting them no solace from the biting winds of defeat, their hearts grew as cold and bitter as the barren political wilderness they wandered in.

Alternately bickering with and consoling their fellow travelers, consumed by their resentment and disdain, they mocked the president and crowed loudly at every miscue or stumble. Their relentless vituperation filled the airwaves and the blogosphere with an anger born of frustration, humiliation and defeat.

With twisted sneers they condemned their fellow countrymen. Chastising them for their naivete, they wailed and bitterly asked how they could be so foolish. How could they entrust the nation’s future to an unqualified and inexperienced ideologue at best or a cynical power-hungry charlatan at worst they demanded.

While others appealed to the patriotic belief that the nation’s success was directly tied to that of the president, the bitter partisans obstinately rejected the thought out of hand. In their zero sum rationale, any success that their nemesis enjoyed came at their expense – regardless of any positive impact it might have on the nation as a whole. Partisan advancement took prominence over all else.

Warmed only by their arrogance, they smugly waited for the moment of vindication - the day when they could at last tell the nation, “We told you so”.

While these were my thoughts of Liberals and Democrats in January, 2001, sadly, the same could be said of many of my fellow Conservatives today. In essence, they have adopted the same pettiness they have previously and rightfully reviled.

Let me be clear.

I in no way advocate abandoning fundamental Conservative principals - be they from the social or fiscal camps of the movement.

Nor do I believe the president – from the long shadows and broad shoulders of Washington and Lincoln to the charismatic eloquence of Obama - is beyond reproach or criticism. To the contrary, it is a tradition that predates the founding of the Republic to speak truth to power and boldly confront our leaders when their actions conflict with our desires; even more so when they place our common interests and the general welfare in jeopardy.

Neither will I remain silent when the President succumbs to the temptations of pride and arrogance. Embracing both, as well as indulging in his own shallow and petty partisanship, he condescendingly chastised Republican congressional leaders Friday.

"You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done," the president lectured GOP leaders, during a White House meeting to discuss the details of his nearly $1 trillion stimulus package.

This was followed by a tense exchange with Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) about the proposal. “I won,” the president pointedly shot back. "I will trump you on that."

This is hardly the bipartisan spirit the president invoked in his inaugural address.

Not only does it speak poorly of a man who has portrayed himself as the humble servant of the people’s will, it portends of a willingness to arrogantly wield his political capital and Democratic majorities in Congress at the first sign of principled disagreement. These are by no means reassuring first steps into the post-partisan era the president so eloquently spoke of during the heady days of the fall campaign.

Nonetheless, bearing no malice or ill-will, I must respectfully agree to disagree with my Conservative brethren that long for the president’s failure and humiliation.

The nation finds itself trolling the depths of the greatest economic crisis in decades. The economic foundation of the nation is crumbling and threatens to collapse beneath our very feet. Each day brings news of thousands more layoffs with some economists predicting up to three million more could occur before the crisis reaches its’ nadir.

Heartened by our economic maladies, our enemies and adversaries eagerly await our forced withdrawal from the international sphere as we can no longer afford guns and aircraft carriers abroad while struggling to pay for butter and public services at home.

Eying our fragile and tenuous state, investors globally debate the practicality of loaning trillions more to a nation whose debt has already placed the value of its currency at the tender mercy of its creditors – many of them our economic and political competitors.

Yet, without their investment largess there is little hope of financing the exorbitant deficits and trillions of dollars in stimulus and bailout packages many see as our only hope for economic recovery.

It is this daunting and calamitous set of circumstances that confronts our neophyte president as he leads the nation into an uncertain future. Truly, the Republic is confronted by perils, challenges and even threats to its existence not seen since another eloquent and introspective Illinois lawyer led it.

It is for these reasons that I pray for the nation and its’ new president.

If we are to succeed in the face of challenges not seen for more than a century, it requires leadership worthy of the ages. And so, with a hopeful heart filled with the spirit of patriotism, President Obama will remain in my prayers for the duration of his tenure.

On those occasions when he seeks to steer the nation on a course I believe places it in greater peril, I will oppose him with a vehemence and passion equal to that which I hope for his success when I agree with him. I will not blindly abandon reason and hope in the face of philosophical and policy disagreements. No, I will redouble my efforts to enlighten him and his supporters to the fallacies and perils of their positions. In doing so, I earnestly hope to follow in the path of patriots rather than partisans.

No doubt this will place me at odds with many of my fellow Conservatives. Rest assured, though, I am neither collaborator nor traitor. Indeed, I remain your faithful compatriot and a fellow traveler as we seek a path out of the political wilderness.

Know I will not abandon the true faith for the seductive wiles of false prophets and political charlatans. I will stand fast with you and man the barricades against the encroachment of governmental power on personal freedom – both economic and political. And on those occasions when we part company – be it on policy or philosophy – I will disagree without being disagreeable.

And so, my friends, I pledge my fealty to our common cause, my hope for our new president and my undying allegiance to our beloved nation.

Quite a treatise...

I believe that we need to bypass partisanship for the sake of pursuing party aims, but not in any way for the pursuit of ideological aims. If Republicans or Democrats are acting out of self-promotion of party, then they need to stop and unite. If there are ideological differences I believe that being disagreeable is completely right. I will not stand for my rights or liberties to be trampled on by a growing government or evil and conspiring men. I don;t care what party they are...

People need to stand up for what is right and get over themselves...

In the wake of the President’s inauguration, the vanquished wantonly forsook the traditional mantle of the loyal opposition. In its’ stead they donned the threadbare and tattered robe of the blind antagonist. Granting them no solace from the biting winds of defeat, their hearts grew as cold and bitter as the barren political wilderness they wandered in.

Alternately bickering with and consoling their fellow travelers, consumed by their resentment and disdain, they mocked the president and crowed loudly at every miscue or stumble. Their relentless vituperation filled the airwaves and the blogosphere with an anger born of frustration, humiliation and defeat.

With twisted sneers they condemned their fellow countrymen. Chastising them for their naivete, they wailed and bitterly asked how they could be so foolish. How could they entrust the nation’s future to an unqualified and inexperienced ideologue at best or a cynical power-hungry charlatan at worst they demanded.

While others appealed to the patriotic belief that the nation’s success was directly tied to that of the president, the bitter partisans obstinately rejected the thought out of hand. In their zero sum rationale, any success that their nemesis enjoyed came at their expense – regardless of any positive impact it might have on the nation as a whole. Partisan advancement took prominence over all else.

Warmed only by their arrogance, they smugly waited for the moment of vindication - the day when they could at last tell the nation, “We told you so”.

While these were my thoughts of Liberals and Democrats in January, 2001, sadly, the same could be said of many of my fellow Conservatives today. In essence, they have adopted the same pettiness they have previously and rightfully reviled.

Let me be clear.

I in no way advocate abandoning fundamental Conservative principals - be they from the social or fiscal camps of the movement.

Nor do I believe the president – from the long shadows and broad shoulders of Washington and Lincoln to the charismatic eloquence of Obama - is beyond reproach or criticism. To the contrary, it is a tradition that predates the founding of the Republic to speak truth to power and boldly confront our leaders when their actions conflict with our desires; even more so when they place our common interests and the general welfare in jeopardy.

Neither will I remain silent when the President succumbs to the temptations of pride and arrogance. Embracing both, as well as indulging in his own shallow and petty partisanship, he condescendingly chastised Republican congressional leaders Friday.

"You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done," the president lectured GOP leaders, during a White House meeting to discuss the details of his nearly $1 trillion stimulus package.

This was followed by a tense exchange with Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) about the proposal. “I won,” the president pointedly shot back. "I will trump you on that."

This is hardly the bipartisan spirit the president invoked in his inaugural address.

Not only does it speak poorly of a man who has portrayed himself as the humble servant of the people’s will, it portends of a willingness to arrogantly wield his political capital and Democratic majorities in Congress at the first sign of principled disagreement. These are by no means reassuring first steps into the post-partisan era the president so eloquently spoke of during the heady days of the fall campaign.

Nonetheless, bearing no malice or ill-will, I must respectfully agree to disagree with my Conservative brethren that long for the president’s failure and humiliation.

The nation finds itself trolling the depths of the greatest economic crisis in decades. The economic foundation of the nation is crumbling and threatens to collapse beneath our very feet. Each day brings news of thousands more layoffs with some economists predicting up to three million more could occur before the crisis reaches its’ nadir.

Heartened by our economic maladies, our enemies and adversaries eagerly await our forced withdrawal from the international sphere as we can no longer afford guns and aircraft carriers abroad while struggling to pay for butter and public services at home.

Eying our fragile and tenuous state, investors globally debate the practicality of loaning trillions more to a nation whose debt has already placed the value of its currency at the tender mercy of its creditors – many of them our economic and political competitors.

Yet, without their investment largess there is little hope of financing the exorbitant deficits and trillions of dollars in stimulus and bailout packages many see as our only hope for economic recovery.

It is this daunting and calamitous set of circumstances that confronts our neophyte president as he leads the nation into an uncertain future. Truly, the Republic is confronted by perils, challenges and even threats to its existence not seen since another eloquent and introspective Illinois lawyer led it.

If we are to succeed in the face of challenges not seen for more than a century, it requires leadership worthy of the ages. And so, with a hopeful heart filled with the spirit of patriotism, President Obama will remain in my prayers for the duration of his tenure.

On those occasions when he seeks to steer the nation on a course I believe places it in greater peril, I will oppose him with a vehemence and passion equal to that which I hope for his success when I agree with him. I will not blindly abandon reason and hope in the face of philosophical and policy disagreements. No, I will redouble my efforts to enlighten him and his supporters to the fallacies and perils of their positions. In doing so, I earnestly hope to follow in the path of patriots rather than partisans.

No doubt this will place me at odds with many of my fellow Conservatives. Rest assured, though, I am neither collaborator nor traitor. Indeed, I remain your faithful compatriot and a fellow traveler as we seek a path out of the political wilderness.

Know I will not abandon the true faith for the seductive wiles of false prophets and political charlatans. I will stand fast with you and man the barricades against the encroachment of governmental power on personal freedom – both economic and political. And on those occasions when we part company – be it on policy or philosophy – I will disagree without being disagreeable.

And so, my friends, I pledge my fealty to our common cause, my hope for our new president and my undying allegiance to our beloved nation.

Somebody's mother made the right investment when she bought her boy a thesuras, I see.

Now that we're ALL Kensyians again, we are, all of us, depending on our masters to put back togewther what their greed broke...our economy.

We're all in this sinking ship of state together, folks.

Of course those of us who are locked in steerage would appreciate it enormously if you people in first class would unlock the gates so we had a chance to jump into the seas before the ship went down.

We understand that your ilk will have all the lifeboats, naturally, but giving us at least a chance (for a change) might be nice.

I don't see a problem with saying you can't just listen to Rushbo and expect to get things done, especially since Rushbo publically wished for Obama to fail. So don't just listen to Rushbo, listen to others as well that are actual conservatives and quit being a bunch of dicks.

Or not. If conservative wish to continue letting Rush be their voice that is certainly their choice.

I don't see a problem with saying you can't just listen to Rushbo and expect to get things done, especially since Rushbo publically wished for Obama to fail. So don't just listen to Rushbo, listen to others as well that are actual conservatives and quit being a bunch of dicks.

Or not. If conservative wish to continue letting Rush be their voice that is certainly their choice.

What a bunch of bullshit. No one, not even the messiah should be arrogant enough to deem his power over what and who people listen too. Shades of Hugho effn Chavez. :lol:

:eek:OMFG!!!!!

:clap2:

Let me be clear.

this is what got me: "No doubt this will place me at odds with many of my fellow Conservatives. Rest assured, though, I am neither collaborator nor traitor."

I could never imagine a situation where a liberal (not to be confused with a progressive nitwit) would feel the need for having to clarify a disagreement with other liberals
using such stilted and silly language. :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

gawd, why do con-artists feel such a need to make these kinds of speeches?

Hey, Willow, you can listen. It wasn't fucking banned. He made comment.

Get a life. You have nothing of substance to attack him on yet, so you squander your time with more pissant stuff.

I watched parts of that meeting. Obama didn't say that until some of the Repubs kept acting like they were still in charge. They aren't. The people said they weren't. They just haven't gotten the message. I would do just like he is doing until it comes to the point where, after all compromise has failed and the other side refuses to budge, that you as the leader finally say, sorry, but this is the way the train is going. If you don't want to go that way, get off the train.

Last edited:
Hey, Willow, you can listen. It wasn't fucking banned. He made comment.

Get a life. You have nothing of substance to attack him on yet, so you squander your time with more pissant stuff.

I watched parts of that meeting. Obama didn't say that until some of the Repubs kept acting like they were still in charge. They aren't. The people said they weren't. They just haven't gotten the message. I would do just like he is doing until it comes to the point where, after all compromise has failed and the other side refuses to budge, that you as the leader finally say, sorry, but this is the way the train is going. If you don't want to go that way, get off the train.

I got a life raybo.. he is an arrogant egomaniac who thinks his KOS KRAP is gonna fly.. It don't You bitched about Bush's "My Way or the HighWay" Now you applaud obamalama ding dong when he does the same dam crap.. and guess what buddy I get to bitch now. :lol:

the fact that you would respond to my statement shows me exactly how far on the totem pole you are. Rush is an idiot who's ignorant rants showed exactly who he was. If you have any sense you would understand it. But hey if you support him I can see why you respond the way you do. In which we will see if you are ignorant or not.

the fact that you would respond to my statement shows me exactly how far on the totem pole you are. Rush is an idiot who's ignorant rants showed exactly who he was. If you have any sense you would understand it. But hey if you support him I can see why you respond the way you do. In which we will see if you are ignorant or not.

hey! you stupid dumb communist. I don't listen to rush, I don't support rush, What I support is the right of anybody to read and listen to whomever they wish. I am not the ignorant one here. Nor am I indoctrinated with your KOOL AID.

With Bush it was my way or the highway. He did not look for compromises. It isn't in his style of leadership.

Obama is trying to work with the Republicans. If at some point there are those who refuse to go along, then you tell them tuff nuggies. You can't go on forever trying to please everyone: nothing will get done.

I teach management and leadership. I actually have some information on this issue.

You have no idea of what you are talking about on this one - Wait, what am I saying: this one?

With Bush it was my way or the highway. He did not look for compromises. It isn't in his style of leadership.

Obama is trying to work with the Republicans. If at some point there are those who refuse to go along, then you tell them tuff nuggies. You can't go on forever trying to please everyone: nothing will get done.

I teach management and leadership. I actually have some information on this issue.

You have no idea of what you are talking about on this one - Wait, what am I saying: this one?

And at the same time you cannot expect people to vote for a bill they disagree with. so tuff nuggies.. vote it in yer own dammself and take responsiblility.

wow im a communist now is that all I talk about Rush you call me an idiot and then you get mad at me for stating the reason i said what i did about him and I am a communist. I didnt protect the guy or stick up for him which ever you chose. But if you reply when someone says such things expect a response in kind. I didnt expect anyone on this board to respond to my "Rush is an idiot" line but you did so I gave you a valid response on. Its not that I said you shouldnt listen but the rehtoric he spouts is not american i would say racist but I am not going that route. He should have been saying something to help the world not divide it. He can say what ever he wants but like him i can speak and say what I want and I say he is an idiot!!!!

wow im a communist now is that all I talk about Rush you call me an idiot and then you get mad at me for stating the reason i said what i did about him and I am a communist. I didnt protect the guy or stick up for him which ever you chose. But if you reply when someone says such things expect a response in kind. I didnt expect anyone on this board to respond to my "Rush is an idiot" line but you did so I gave you a valid response on. Its not that I said you shouldnt listen but the rehtoric he spouts is not american i would say racist but I am not going that route. He should have been saying something to help the world not divide it. He can say what ever he wants but like him i can speak and say what I want and I say he is an idiot!!!!

guess what? I get to say what I want too..

Forum List

Back