Patreus story: "Tampa socialite"; WTF is a "socialite"?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Im so sick of hearing the media repeating that phrase, the "Tampa socialite". WTF is a socialite? I know her husband is a surgeon, and they live in a mansion in Tampa. So...what is she?? A "socialite"? Her profession is being married to a really rich guy, and flocking around the social scene in Tampa?

Im so sick of hearing the media repeating that phrase, the "Tampa socialite". WTF is a socialite? I know her husband is a surgeon, and they live in a mansion in Tampa. So...what is she?? A "socialite"? Her profession is being married to a really rich guy, and flocking around the social scene in Tampa?

you answered your own question, correctly.

i will share this.

i know of a similar scenario--involving someone i knew in high school.

served his country. now has a second career.

had a wife while he was serving his country---they lived all over the world. had 2 outstanding children--a girl and a boy. wife is sister of an attorney selected by Bush to handle the 'hanging chads'.

ok.

he is now divorced.

what goes on in FL--they have boats and they fish and party. Mardi Gras all the time there.

there are women who handle the parties--Jimmy Buffet/Margaritaville--that is how they live.

they say things like--'sigh--It is terrible to be poor'. and lol and drink and whatever they want to do.

like the A list in LA.

did that help--i hope so.

what GOD thinks of all of this--imo---he responded promptly. consequences---mess around and HE will GET YOU. or karma if you prefer. or pure science--cause and effect.

Johnny Cash--'Walk the Line'--man in black. he learned.

Often children or spouses of the wealthy who frequent society functions and pay attention to their cred/coverage on the society pages.

you answered your own question, correctly.

i will share this.

i know of a similar scenario--involving someone i knew in high school.

served his country. now has a second career.

had a wife while he was serving his country---they lived all over the world. had 2 outstanding children--a girl and a boy. wife is sister of an attorney selected by Bush to handle the 'hanging chads'.

ok.

he is now divorced.

what goes on in FL--they have boats and they fish and party. Mardi Gras all the time there.

there are women who handle the parties--Jimmy Buffet/Margaritaville--that is how they live.

they say things like--'sigh--It is terrible to be poor'. and lol and drink and whatever they want to do.

like the A list in LA.

did that help--i hope so.

what GOD thinks of all of this--imo---he responded promptly. consequences---mess around and HE will GET YOU. or karma if you prefer. or pure science--cause and effect.

Johnny Cash--'Walk the Line'--man in black. he learned.

Ah, yes, we have that style in Charleston to. Wives of rich men who wake up, go to yoga, go to tennis club, pick up the kids and drop them off to the nanny, then off on the boats or to the waterside cocktail parties.

No real contribution to society, but having fun at least.

THanks for the responses. That term is foreign to us working class folks. Imagine that...party all week, worry only about what my rep in the local gossip pages are. Must be nice.

When I think of the ultimate socialite, I think of Paris Hilton. People who get attention because of money or their family's standing in the community.

It's the PC term for an unemployed bimbo that has a ton of cash simply because their spouse or parents are loaded.

See Ann Romney.

Last edited:

It's the PC term for an unemployed bimbo that has a ton of cash simply because their spouse or parents are loaded.

See Paris Hilton.

Oh. Well...we sure cant go raising taxes on people like that. How would our country survive???

A socialite is someone who does not actually have a job

dont get "so sick" of things, bucs. life is better that way my deude.

If you are poor, don't work and do nothing but party......you are a deadbeat
If you are rich, don't work and do nothing but party....you are a socialite

a social-lite vs a social-heavy...

ex: Paris Hilton vs Queen of England...

:tongue:

Last edited:
If you are poor, don't work and do nothing but party......you are a deadbeat
If you are rich, don't work and do nothing but party....you are a socialite

OH!! Thanks. I was confused. Thought there were "socialites" all over the local ghetto and trailor parks. They're just deadbeats with no job who party all the time. But the folks in the mansions and yacht clubs around here...without a job who party a lot...they're socialites.

Thanks for clarifying that for me!!

Ah, yes, we have that style in Charleston to. Wives of rich men who wake up, go to yoga, go to tennis club, pick up the kids and drop them off to the nanny, then off on the boats or to the waterside cocktail parties.

No real contribution to society, but having fun at least.[/QUOTE]

~~~
mmmmmm---'Fun'

a few thoughts:

--what is real fun?

-is that the highest purpose in life?

-how much respect is due such people?

~~
i simply don't have much regard for 'this group'--wherever they are.

you're in Charleston?

i taught in the Savannah-Chatham system for a while.

the deepest regard for the grandmothers raising several generations of children on welfare and working in menial positions.

no doubt of where they are headed in the hereafter.

'The Highest will become the Lowest'.
i believe that.

Holly Petreaus on the other hand --sounds like a very fine person.

that is how I am. hth.

wavingrl

Please learn how to properly use the quote function.

Thanks.

i guess i will in time.

actually--the multiquote function is not an asset, imo. a number of forums have chosen to opt out of that. visually challenging for some.

a few short sentences --better for me.

i will give this forum a chance. lots to accomplish irl, etc.

if it seems there are 'too many issues'-- you will not need to waste one second of your time in 'reforming' me. that is the best offer i can make.

what i have to ask myself --are the expectations 'too high'---2 days, i have been here 2 days.

after a trip to the grocery , i just finished walking my dog and cooking supper, cleaning the kitchen, taking the garbage out and doing a load of laundry----and still at 8:30 PM i must return to the grocery----it is honestly unrealistic to think that i could devote several hours to reading and internalizing the extensive FAQ's/TOS.

i still have a headache from earlier in the day. fyi.

take care.

Forum List

Back