Pastor arrested for holding home Bible study

The guy has over 4 acres of land, and under 20 people attending his home-church. So, he's not crowding his neighbors.

On the other hand, there are shitheads who want to have home-churches on their quarter-acre city lot with 50 people attending every Sunday. There's a reason we have zoning laws. There's a reason we had segregation. Civilized people want to live in quite and peaceful neighborhoods.

:rolleyes:
After two years of relative calm, the feud between the City of Phoenix and the Salmans escalated when they erected a 2,000 square foot building in their backyard. Mr Salman said he applied for and was granted all the appropriate permits and the building has passed a city inspection.

‘At that point we took our Bible study from our living room – and we moved it into that building,’ he said. ‘We started worshiping in that building every weekend.’

However, Miss Hill, the chief assistant city prosecutor, said Salman has ‘mischaracterized the facts’ of the permit. She said that he was given a permit to convert a garage into a game room, not a church or anything else for that matter.

Father of six faces 60 days behind bars for hosting Bible study in his OWN home against city rules | Mail Online

Maybe he doesn't know that lying is a sin.

From the OP link:
"It came down to zoning and proper permitting. Anytime you are holding a gathering of people continuously as he does, we have concerns about people being able to exit the facility properly in case there is a fire."

Should religion be exempt from zoning and other laws?
Seems like that would be against the constitution.

As I recall it was a 400 sq ft barn on a 20 acre parcel.

Of course if you ARE concerned about zoning and crowds, then the party in the backyard has to be shut down too.

I suggest you go with that. Try Dearbornistan or, since it's closer, Tehrangeles.

I suggest you look up "sarcasm" in any dictionary.

I know lots of libs, and pretty much that's how they feel. I can be forgiven for assuming mainstream liberal intentions.

Oh, bull shit. I know lots of libs and probably more cons, and I can tell you how most of them feel. The libs, while perhaps not being religious themselves, would not deny religion to others. You see, that is one of the main differences between most libs and most cons. Liberals seem to be generally much more tolerant of other's viewpoints than do cons. Cons seem to be generally less tolerant of other's viewpoints - much less tolerant.

To state it succintly: Libs: I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it. Cons: If I don't like it, you can't have it.

Last edited:
Religious freedom does not mean exemption from all rules and regulations.
Churches are defined and subject to zoning laws, same as any other building.
He was holding regular meetings in his home for the purpose of relgious services. This makes it legally a church.
There were complaints from the neighbors as far as his parishoners and parking.
He applied to turn a garage into a game room and was approved. Instead he turned into a building specifically meant for worship services and had a sign usually associated with churches outside. It is a church.
He followed pretty much none of the safety and building requirements for a church.

The outrage is misplace, it has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with zoning laws and building regulations.

From the OP link:
"It came down to zoning and proper permitting. Anytime you are holding a gathering of people continuously as he does, we have concerns about people being able to exit the facility properly in case there is a fire."

Should religion be exempt from zoning and other laws?
Seems like that would be against the constitution.

Agreed.

Seems the good Pastor should've been more aware of zoning laws.

I don't particularly like the arrest but rules are rules and if we, as individuals, start picking out the one we will obey and the one we don't it is called anarchy. We are close now if things don't change

What if a woman has a quilting circle at her home every weekend?

The city should shut that down unless she obtains a commercial and public use permit?

The city should shut that down unless she obtains a commercial and public use permit?

If she builds a 2,000 square foot building to do it in and erects a sign advertising it then yeah, probably.

I'm surprised the guy doesn't want to declare himself a church and get the tax benefits.

If she builds a 2,000 square foot building to do it in and erects a sign advertising it then yeah, probably.

I'm surprised the guy doesn't want to declare himself a church and get the tax benefits.

I was wondering if someone would notice that he doesn't seem to have done that.

His group is private and noncommercial. He has a good argument that it is not a church and should no more require a commercial permit than a bridge club or a quilting circle does.

Forum List

Back