Parts of Iowa, Nebraska, and New York could see the northern lights Sunday night

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Another strong Geo-magnetic storm..and again, some fantastic viewing opps for Americans:

1699232300526.jpeg

Parts of Midwest and Northeast states may be able to see the northern lights Sunday night, according to an alert sent by the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center.
Forecasts by the Prediction Center show that residents as far south as Nebraska and central Iowa may be able to see the aurora borealis if conditions permit. The expansion of the lights is influenced by a coronal mass ejection from the sun sparking a strong geomagnetic storm.
NASA describes coronal mass ejections as "huge bubbles of coronal plasma threaded by intense magnetic field lines that are ejected from the Sun over the course of several hours." The space agency says they often look like "huge, twisted rope" and can occur with solar flares, or explosions on the sun's surface.

The view line for the astral occurrence will recede on Monday, as forecasts show that the southernmost reaches of the view line will clip central Minnesota.

Missouri's always left out in the dirt.

We get nuttin.

Oh, wait, nm. It's closed down now. I just looked. Apparently Bob passed away.

Well that sucks.

There's always that. Kum and Go convenience stores too. Always a hoot.

Another strong Geo-magnetic storm..and again, some fantastic viewing opps for Americans:

View attachment 853898

Parts of Midwest and Northeast states may be able to see the northern lights Sunday night, according to an alert sent by the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center.
Forecasts by the Prediction Center show that residents as far south as Nebraska and central Iowa may be able to see the aurora borealis if conditions permit. The expansion of the lights is influenced by a coronal mass ejection from the sun sparking a strong geomagnetic storm.
NASA describes coronal mass ejections as "huge bubbles of coronal plasma threaded by intense magnetic field lines that are ejected from the Sun over the course of several hours." The space agency says they often look like "huge, twisted rope" and can occur with solar flares, or explosions on the sun's surface.

The view line for the astral occurrence will recede on Monday, as forecasts show that the southernmost reaches of the view line will clip central Minnesota.
Interesting but New Mexico is way too far south for that kind of treat. We took a truly great Alaskan cruise some years ago and my personal hopes/goals for the trip were almost all satisfied. We spent some time touring before boarding the ship. But three things on the list didn't get done. A great shot of Denali was disappointed by an extremely foggy drizzly day. I didn't get to see a moose in the wild. And I didn't get to see the northern lights again most likely because of extremely cloudy weather.

The northern lights miss was the biggest disappointment because that is something that has always fascinated me and I really wanted to see it.

Nope. He done disappeared.

Now and then, you'll see a lil fella that wants to hold your horse reins or something, though...

I was just wondering. Bob had one is what reminded me of it. Those things are high dollar these days, if you happen to stumble across em at the antique stores.

I was just wondering. Bob had one is what reminded me of it. Those things are high dollar these days, if you happen to stumble across em at the antique stores.

Yep. I remember momma reading us Little Black Sambo at bedtime now and then- there were some damned disturbing stories when ya think on it.

Is this the same or another phenomenon?​

Under a Blood-Red Sky: Geomagnetic Storm Causes Intense Auroras in Northern American and European Regions – Sky Explodes in Crimson over Russia and Ukraine​

1699232658142.png

Forum List

Back