Parent Arrested For Protesting Use of Common Core

Charges were dropped. Care to speak on that?

Good politics by the school board, I would think, with a private warning to the citizen, "You have had your moment. Next time, you go to court."

Erm. Actually, it wasn't good politics. That is akin to what you would see in Russia or China. Suppressing dissent. This man could in theory sue the board for violating his First Amendment rights on the grounds of being prevented from redressing his grievances. We don't silence honest people from asking honest questions, Jake.

It's telling that fakey thinks that parents who object to mandated government indoctrination of their children should be thrown in jail.

Interesting you need to ask.

1. I've sited who determines state standards: State Governors throught their appointed committees. This power is given through legislation

2. Common Core standards were developed by more than one person. "Who" is a meaningless question. Who cares is a better question: Answer; State Boards of Education.

If you don't like the laws in your state, the write your congressman; They are not a product of Common Core. If you have legitimate concerns about Common Core, then please, bring them to the debate. So far all you've managed to do is parrot a lot of hypothetical nonsense and half-truths.

wrongo......and i don't "need" to ask except to clear up your bluster....

1. for those who participate in CCore they might provide some input but it is NOT the states that really determine the standards....they are determined by CCore and are uniform for all states...

2. "Who" is a VERY significant question when it comes to standards....and it appears that CCore standards are being developed NOT by teachers but by a few leaders in the CCore program using 'international standards' and standards that are rather mediocre..."Who" is also very important because over time curriculum would be developed....

No, states really determine their own standards: Just because you have not been able to grasp this, doesn't make it untrue. Try turning off the talk radio and read some law some time.

It's your opinion (or should I say whatever talking head you've listened to recently) against the school boards of almost every state in the union. I'm not condemning those states (both red, e.g. Texas and blue, e.g. Minnasota) that adhere to developing their own standards. In fact, they serve as examples to contradict the absurd notion that CC is somehow the product of a vast Federally Funded conspiracy.

how can states have their own standards if they agree to the CCore standards....?

1. for those who participate in CCore they might provide some input but it is NOT the states that really determine the standards....they are determined by CCore and are uniform for all states...

2. "Who" is a VERY significant question when it comes to standards....and it appears that CCore standards are being developed NOT by teachers but by a few leaders in the CCore program using 'international standards' and standards that are rather mediocre..."Who" is also very important because over time curriculum would be developed....

No, states really determine their own standards: Just because you have not been able to grasp this, doesn't make it untrue. Try turning off the talk radio and read some law some time.

It's your opinion (or should I say whatever talking head you've listened to recently) against the school boards of almost every state in the union. I'm not condemning those states (both red, e.g. Texas and blue, e.g. Minnasota) that adhere to developing their own standards. In fact, they serve as examples to contradict the absurd notion that CC is somehow the product of a vast Federally Funded conspiracy.

how can states have their own standards if they agree to the CCore standards....?

The dumbness of this comment is beyond compare.

Let the USMB brain surgeons figure it out:

Common Core States:

CORR_10_Site_CommonCore_MAP_080911.png

bump for anyone who wants to make a difference.

You should call your legislators and your governors.

This is really quite simple.

It's about freedom of choice. Being limited to having 1 choice and no voice on your kids' education should be a no-brainer. Having 1 choice and no voice about only being allowed to have BC/BS for an insurance option - no brainer. Having the option of only being allowed cheddar cheese available at the grocery store - no brainer.

Tying parent's hands behind their backs and giving them 1 education "standard" option with no say so - public, charter AND private should be an issue. Unless you're a sheep. In which case, fall in line. You can't vote it out at the local level and it's shoved down your throat.

They do respond to continuous phone calls and letters from parents:

Governor Rick Scott Announces Path Forward for High Education Standards & Decision to Withdraw from PARCC

Following the Governor’s Education Summit in Tampa a few weeks ago, Governor Rick Scott sent a letter to State Board of Education Chairman Gary Chartrand today, outlining six steps for the board to:

1) Maintain high education standards; and,

2) Remove the state from federal intrusion in education policy.

To protect Florida from the federal government’s overreach in education policy, Governor Scott also sent a letter today to U.S. Department of Education Secretary Arne Duncan, announcing the state’s decision to withdraw from the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC). Lastly, the Governor also released an Executive Order today announcing policy improvements that were discussed in the Governor’s Education Summit.

Governor Scott said, “We listened to many people who are passionate about making Florida’s education system the best in the world during our Education Summit in Tampa a few weeks ago. The summit’s discussions were so robust and diverse that they have led to three actions today. First, I sent a letter to Chairman Chartrand outlining a six-step course forward for Florida to ensure we continue to hold our students to high education standards. Excellence in education begins with high expectations for our students. Second, I told the federal government we are rejecting their overreach into our state education system by withdrawing from PARCC. Last, I issued an executive order to address state assessments, ensure student data security and support a transparent and understandable school accountability system.

“While the debate surrounding Common Core Standards has become polarized into a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ discussion, we heard during the Education Summit that most education leaders agreed on two things. We agree that we should say ‘yes’ to high standards for Florida students and ‘no’ to the federal government’s overreach into our education system. Therefore, I notified the federal government that Florida would be withdrawing from PARCC, and at the same time we will hold public comment sessions to receive input on any alterations that should be made to the current Common Core Standards. We are committed to maintaining high standards for our students. Period. The six steps outlined to the Board of Education will help Florida move forward in maintaining exceptionally high standards while removing federal intrusion into our education system.”

Letter to the FL Board of Ed:

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ChairmanChartrand092313.pdf

Letter to US Secretary of Ed:

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SecretaryDuncan092313.pdf

Executive Order:

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/EO-13-276.pdf

EDIT: I did a bold font for anyone that's reading impaired.

See above and previous posts about no ability to vote it out or district/ parent power.

The lack of your scope to get a concept still astounds me.

Last edited:
Just the facts, Ma'am!

American education has always been run at the state and local level. Even as Washington has pushed states to try out this or that policy in exchange for federal funding, states have always chosen their own tests and learning goals.

But this fall, for the first time, a majority of American public school children are working to master the same set of more rigorous skills in math and English. These new targets, known as the Common Core State Standards, have been adopted by 45 states in an almost inexplicably speedy wave of reform, representing the biggest shift in the content of the American education in a century.

As such, hostilities have erupted on all sides. Tea Party groups refer to the standards as Obamacore, despite the fact that the federal government had nothing to do with their creation. Meanwhile, leftist critics have attacked the standards as "corporate" reforms, despite the fact that they were developed by teachers and researchers at the behest of a bipartisan group of governors and state education leaders.

One state bypassed all this tumult, however. Kentucky barreled headlong into the future three years ago and embraced the new targets before any other states, holding its children and teachers to a higher bar. Those same children and teachers, as well as the parents, who live there have much to tell the rest of us about what to expect next.

To continue reading: Subscribe now
or Log-In

The New Common Core Standards in Education - TIME

It wasn't a "comment".......it was a question.....

Can YOU answer it smartass.....?

Just the facts, Ma'am!

American education has always been run at the state and local level. Even as Washington has pushed states to try out this or that policy in exchange for federal funding, states have always chosen their own tests and learning goals.

But this fall, for the first time, a majority of American public school children are working to master the same set of more rigorous skills in math and English. These new targets, known as the Common Core State Standards, have been adopted by 45 states in an almost inexplicably speedy wave of reform, representing the biggest shift in the content of the American education in a century.

As such, hostilities have erupted on all sides. Tea Party groups refer to the standards as Obamacore, despite the fact that the federal government had nothing to do with their creation. Meanwhile, leftist critics have attacked the standards as "corporate" reforms, despite the fact that they were developed by teachers and researchers at the behest of a bipartisan group of governors and state education leaders.

One state bypassed all this tumult, however. Kentucky barreled headlong into the future three years ago and embraced the new targets before any other states, holding its children and teachers to a higher bar. Those same children and teachers, as well as the parents, who live there have much to tell the rest of us about what to expect next.

or Log-In

CCore is a "higher bar"......?

well perhaps for Kentucky...:lol:

Simple: There is no difference between the two.

I have Jeb's email address, you should have a chat with him.

Here, I'll give you a hint.

Two 2016 presidential horse race stories posit that former Gov. Jeb Bush’s stock is down following the recent resignation of Education Commissioner Tony Bennett and Florida and Indiana lawmakers questioning the veracity of the A-to-F school grading systems Bush pioneered.

"2016 presidential horse race stories?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Any more science fiction you'd like to use as support for your arguement?

:eusa_think:

Who knows, by 2016, the warp drive may be invented, and we can use the gravitational pull of the sun to return to 1980 and pick up Ronald Reagan in time to return him as a candidate for the Republican nomination.

I have Jeb's email address, you should have a chat with him.

Here, I'll give you a hint.

Two 2016 presidential horse race stories posit that former Gov. Jeb Bush’s stock is down following the recent resignation of Education Commissioner Tony Bennett and Florida and Indiana lawmakers questioning the veracity of the A-to-F school grading systems Bush pioneered.

"2016 presidential horse race stories?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Any more science fiction you'd like to use as support for your arguement?

Who knows, by 2016, the warp drive may be invented, and we can use the gravitational pull of the sun to return to 1980 and pick up Ronald Reagan in time to return him as a candidate for the Republican nomination.

Guess what?

I don't listen to "talking heads". Ever.

The point was...
I forgot what the hell point I was making.

I'll be back after coffee.

:rofl:

You're "you people" ing me again.

Just the facts, Ma'am!

or Log-In

Couple things.

This is not just a "tea party" concern. That's some propaganda crap. This is a parental concern in my world.

Race to the Top funding is indeed federal funding. This is state response to fed money and fed requirements. Keyword "common common common"

http://www2.ed.gov/news/pressreleases/2009/07/07242009.html

Also, I can't read the rest of that Time article. What's the actual stats and specifics on KY?

Edit... notice whose name is all over the federal money and requirements.

Last edited:

wrongo.....in your dreams....you know that would never happen in a million years...

for one reason....Common Core is composed of federal dictates which would always make it totally different than a state and local driven program....a state/local program would actually have input from teachers and parents whereas the CCore program doesn't...

so which state in their right mind would replace good traditional literature with federal informational texts on the EPA's “Recommended Levels of Insulation”....? or teach that 2 X 2 = 5....? only a deliberately bizarro program trying to dumb down the population to create a slave nation...

And what if people in certain communities don't want that?

obey_1984.jpg

Is that the kind of society you want?

I suspect so.

People can get up in the middle of a Presidential Speech and interrupt/protest the President of the United States.

Know what happens to them?

Nothing. They might be removed but even that seldom happens.

But interrupt some petty bureaucrat deep in the bowels of dimocrap-scum ruled territory and you'll find yourself roughed-up, slammed in jail and charged with a Felony.

It doesn't matter WHY people might object to Common Core.

It only matters that they do, Kommissar.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vBfFDTPPlaM]After The Fire - Der Kommissar - YouTube[/ame]

wrongo.....in your dreams....you know that would never happen in a million years...

for one reason....Common Core is composed of federal dictates which would always make it totally different than a state and local driven program....a state/local program would actually have input from teachers and parents whereas the CCore program doesn't...

so which state in their right mind would replace good traditional literature with federal informational texts on the EPA's “Recommended Levels of Insulation”....? or teach that 2 X 2 = 5....? only a deliberately bizarro program trying to dumb down the population to create a slave nation...

:eusa_hand:

Lemme see:

You don't believe states can adopt Common Core, because it is supported by the Obama Administration, and therefore cannot possibly match state educational goals.

Internet posters' opinions, including the fantacy that "Libtards" support Common Core as evidenced by the imaginary infusion of History Texts authored by Zinn

:tinfoil::cuckoo:

vs.

;)

almost every school board in the nation, all of which are composed of the educational professionals of the state.

I'm going to have to go with the overwhelming expert opinion.

Thanks for not making it a difficult choice

:clap2:

And what if people in certain communities don't want that?

obey_1984.jpg

Is that the kind of society you want?

I suspect so.

People can get up in the middle of a Presidential Speech and interrupt/protest the President of the United States.

Know what happens to them?

Nothing. They might be removed but even that seldom happens.

But interrupt some petty bureaucrat deep in the bowels of dimocrap-scum ruled territory and you'll find yourself roughed-up, slammed in jail and charged with a Felony.

It doesn't matter WHY people might object to Common Core.

It only matters that they do, Kommissar.

You get my vote for most appropriate avatar.

:lol:

Lemme see:

You don't believe states can adopt Common Core, because it is supported by the Obama Administration, and therefore cannot possibly match state educational goals.

Internet posters' opinions, including the fantacy that "Libtards" support Common Core as evidenced by the imaginary infusion of History Texts authored by Zinn

vs.

;)

almost every school board in the nation, all of which are composed of the educational professionals of the state.

you're ignorant and your logic resembles Swiss cheese.....

SwissCheese.jpg

Last edited:

Lemme see:

vs.

;)

you're ignorant and your logic resembles Swiss cheese.....

rapier wit.

****yawn***

Forum List

Back