Palin wants creationism taught in schools

SunniMan, you are deeply confused as to what you are arguing for. You are arguing that ID should be in science class. ID is not science. Creationism is not science. Evolution is science. You can mix and match those three to establish your personal view of the world. Many "wacko liberal kook scientists" that are bitched about on here by palerider and others, are not atheists. They just understand what evolution is and that it is not mutually exclusive to religion.

Intelligent Design-Philosophy. Who created everything/ Who created the creator? That's a philosophical question.

Creationism-Religion. God did it with magic.

Evolution-Science. Testable theory that has been observed through fossils and now with live bacteria species.

Many scientists believe that God used evolution as he mechanism, and that the whole 7-days thing is completely relative. Time is relative to the observer, and thus we may falsely conclude that if God said it took 7 days, then that means it took 7 Earth based days. I know the resident evolutionary biologist at the university and he's staunchly Christian. Sings in the choir, preaches in class, has answers to everything, ect....

I think the point SunniMan is trying to make is whether Intelligent Design is taught in a science course or a philosophy course, the idea or theory should be presented in schools. Today, what is taught in schools are theories or in some cases hypotheses of how our universe was created. Many of these without a whole lot of evidence but are taught anyways. ID should at least be mentioned as one possible theory to the creation of the universe. I don't really care what class its taught in.

Are these things taught in your schools? My kids aren't being taught any of that. They learn the hydrologic cycle etc but no mention of global warming or cooling.

Are you kidding? It's been years since I was in college but they were teaching global warming and greenhouse gas effects back then.

From a purely atheistic point of view. I don't want to see creationism tought in schools. It is higher power based and I have no use for that being taught in a school. It is a waste of time as I see it.

That should be taught at home or in a church along with the Noah stories and all the rest of it.

I have no problem with people having faith. None at all. I don't even run from the topic. I just don't see that it has a point in a public school education.

And many of those that do believe in a God, do want religion taught as part of their school curriculum. So then you may say, they should send their kids to a parochial school if they want religion taught in their child's school. But how is that fair, if parents have to pay extra because they want God to be included in their education. That goes against the fundamental framework of our country's creation. The Constitution is supposed to allow for the free exercise of religion, not create a means by which someone is forced to seek an alternative and/or pay more money to receive that basic education.

Last I checked the Constitution still prohibits the state teachin religion. Thank heaven.

Constitution says Congress cannot establish a national religion; the state cannot promote one religion over another. Teaching a religion is not unconstitutional, its promoting one over another that is.

Are you kidding? It's been years since I was in college but they were teaching global warming and greenhouse gas effects back then.

You said 3rd grade, and now you're saying college. I don't understand?

Are the gradeschools in your area teaching GW?

/puzzled

This is the nice thing about a scientific theory, and why the ability to make testable predictions is so important in science..

If man and all apes evolved from a common ancestor, then we can predict:

~That fossils that have similarities of several ape lineages should exist. As it happens, they do. This prediction has been found to be true.

~That the strata that these fossils are found in, should not have bones of modern day humans and apes. (bones of modern day apes should only be found in more recent strata). As it happens, human bones are not found in the older strata with the ancestor bones. The prediction has held up.

~ That the fossil record for great apes should be in certain geographic locations, such as Africa, consistent with where modern apes live and/or originated. THis prediction has held up.

These sorts of predictions are easy to make, and are easy to test. There are tons more. There are predictions about the chromosome structure, about the DNA relatedness, about dozens of things, predicted by evolutionary theory, and testable.

That's what makes it science. When a prediction is not found to hold up, the theory is modified. Science is not static. It is a process, not an answer.

Intelligent design and creationism make no testable predictions. They are static descriptions that provide an answer. They aren't science.

We also have 99% of the same genes as chimps....

Man, chimps share genes / Comparison of genomes shows thousands are virtually identical

6. There Are No Intermediate Fossil Forms

Yes, that objection to the theory of evolution really cracks me up.

No intermediate fossils?

Life itself is constantly in an intermediate state. Every species you look at is an internediate form of life.

Speaking as someone who believes that science is hardly the end all and be all of human knowledge, but one who also credits science with understanding one hell of a lot about the way the universe actually does work, I am constantly amazed by creationism.

Creationists are truly mixed up people, folks.

Everything they think they know about science is usually wrong. They remind me of that other idiotic faith based group...darwin thumping atheists.

When push comes to shove, when you question either creationists or most militant atheists who imagine that they understand the theory of evolution, you inevitably discover that neither group really understands the theory of evolution very well.

There is not enough common ground for an evolutionist and a creationist to even have a logical debate on the subject.

As to teaching creationism as an alternate theory to explain the species?

You have to be dumber than a box of rocks to think that makes sense in a biology class.

There is nothing even remotely scientific about creationism.

Last edited:
Hey idiot.. we didnt evolve from apes... You people scare the hell out of me ... how in the hell is this nation going to compete in the world when this dark age mentality persavers...

I for one am glad we're having this debate openly and honestly.

Republicans hate science and believe in creationism, as evidenced by this thread.

Cool. Obama was right that the modern Republican party celebrates ignorance. Its a damn shame that the Party of Eishenhower, which was pro-science, is now extinct. But, we should at least put our cards on the table. Democrats accept biological evolution. Republicans deny it.

Both Party's and their bases should make that explicitly clear.

Republicans hate science and believe in creationism, as evidenced by this thread.

Cool. Obama was right that the modern Republican party celebrates ignorance. Its a damn shame that the Party of Eishenhower, which was pro-science, is now extinct. But, we should at least put our cards on the table. Democrats accept biological evolution. Republicans deny it.

What a silly post.

Rebublicans aren't against science, and all Democrats don't believe in evolution.

Seems to me that a helluva lot of supporters of the republican Party believe that creationism needs to be taught to counter balance the theory of evolution than Dems do.

This board's resident Bushite supporters are a microcosm of the nation generally.

Is there a single person supporting Obama here who thinks creationism isanything but a myth?

If so, please speak up.

I for one am glad we're having this debate openly and honestly.

It's amazing, isn't it? How could one party be on the wrong side of every single issue?

Seems to me that a helluva lot of supporters of the republican Party believe that creationism needs to be taught to counter balance the theory of evolution than Dems do.

This board's resident Bushite supporters are a microcosm of the nation generally.

Is there a single person supporting Obama here who thinks creationism isanything but a myth?

If so, please speak up.

From my experience, I think this is mostly just a cyber space phenomena.

Republican message board posters, given the safety and anonymity of the internet, like to say crazy things like Evolution is fake, that we should eliminate medicare and social security, and go to war with Russia over Georgia. I think they do it to poke their finger in the eyes of liberal message board posters. The way a 13 year old kid likes to do contrarian things just to piss off their parents.

Because, deep down inside, I think they are actually embarrassed by their positions. Whenever you tell them to actually make the elimination of Medicaid a part of their National Platform; whenever you tell them to make Creationism a part of their science platform, they will inevitably start backtracking. They don't want their nutjob views to be exposed to public scrutiny within the context of their party's national platform.

That would be me. :eusa_angel:

If I thought you were anything but a Republican troll, one who is pretending to be something you are not, I might take that claim more seriously.

But having read some of your posts, posts I think were clearly designed to make people fearful of Islam, you've got a great long way to gain any credibility with me, chum.

If I am wrong, if it turns out that you are exactly what you say your are, then please accept by apologies in advance.

But right now, based on some of the vile things you've written, I think you're a trolling agent provocateur.

Forum List

Back