Outrageous: Obama Issues Permits To Kill Our Symbol Of Freedom, The Bald Eagle

Bald Eagles are no longer endangered.

The stress on the species of losing a couple birds to accomodate the religious services of one of our native Amerian tribes is minor and no threat to the species.

Has killing Eagles in the past helped them? So obama has lowered himself to killing a national symbol for votes?
Just what drove these birds to near extinction?

Hint: It wasn't Native American religious and cultural rites.

I really have a problem with this for several reasons, since the birds mate for life, it's not like the birds other mate will search for another if one dies.

Of course they do. From a number of sources:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]Bald eagles return to the same nesting areas year after year and often breed with the same mate. If something happens to either the male or female, the surviving bird will find a new mate. [/FONT]

---

Bald eagles mate for life, but when one dies, the survivor will not hesitate to accept a new mate.

---------

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q. If eagles mate for life, what would happen if one died?[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. The remaining bird finds a new mate and usually carries on in the same nesting territory.[/FONT]

-------

Bald Eagles are socially monogamous, and tend to re-nest with the same mate from year to year.
However, if one member of the pair fails to return to the breeding territory, the remaining bird will accept a new mate.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

Last edited:
In fact obama will be allowing the violation of Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940

Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940

Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940 (16 U.S.C. 668-668d, 54 Stat. 250) as amended -- Approved June 8, 1940, and amended by P.L 86-70 (73 Stat. 143) June 25, 1959; P.L. 87-884 (76 Stat. 1346) October 24, 1962; P.L. 92-535 (86 Stat. 1064) October 23, 1972; and P.L. 95-616 (92 Stat. 3114) November 8, 1978.
This law provides for the protection of the bald eagle (the national emblem) and the golden eagle by prohibiting, except under certain specified conditions, the taking, possession and commerce of such birds. The 1972 amendments increased penalties for violating provisions of the Act or regulations issued pursuant thereto and strengthened other enforcement measures. Rewards are provided for information leading to arrest and conviction for violation of the Act.

The 1978 amendment authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to permit the taking of golden eagle nests that interfere with resource development or recovery operations. (See also the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Endangered Species Act.)

A 1994 Memorandum (59 F.R. 22953, April 29, 1994) from President William J. Clinton to the heads of Executive Agencies and Departments sets out the policy concerning collection and distribution of eagle feathers for Native American religious purposes.
Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940
And U.S. Code, Section 16, Chapter 703

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/16C7.txt
Since the Eagle is a bird of prey it's still protected.
Protected Species
The law protects 1,007 migratory and insectivorous game birds including songbirds, birds of prey, ducks, geese, gulls, shorebirds and wading birds. Most birds are protected except "some introduced birds, including European Starlings and House Sparrows, and some agricultural pests, such as Red-winged Blackbirds," and there are legal hunting seasons for some other birds, according to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.

Read more: Federal Migratory Bird Law | eHow.com Federal Migratory Bird Law | eHow.com

And it states "except under certain specified conditions, the taking, possession and commerce of such birds. "

This is a specified condition, and it wasn't done for commerce. It was just like the whale hunting back in the 90's of theWashington State coast that was permitted by the government, for the Indians for a tribal ritual. At that time Green Peace, and a number of left wing nuts tried to disrupt the tribal ritual.

So I have no issue with this, this is a religious freedom, just as I had no issue with the killing of the whales, the Indians are very respectful of this nations laws and for many decades held off the whale hunts until the were taken off the endangered list and it appears to be the same in this case.

I find it funny how hypocritical the lefties are in this matter. If it is okay with Obama, it's okay with them, "our fearless" has spoken.

I really have a problem with this for several reasons, since the birds mate for life, it's not like the birds other mate will search for another if one dies. It's our national symbol so obama is allowing the killing of our symbol for votes.

I see no issue, it is an animal, it is a symbol yes, but it is still an animal. If it was for hunting or other things, I'd have an issue, this however is a religious ceremony and it is conducted by a group of people that are very aware of nature and their impact on it, they are not being disrespectful to the symbol of America, this ceremony has been around longer than this country. This also falls under religious freedom.

I do find the libs hypocrisy on allowing one religion to exercise it's freedom while condemning another's freedom quite interesting, it shows their true interest and heart when it comes to religion, they make for a dangerous group.

How the wingnuts long for those good old days.

ddt.jpg

Oh goody more Faux Outrage.

Ho-Hum.....

The federal agency granted a permit last week allowing the Northern Arapaho to kill or capture and then release up to two bald eagles this year. The tribe filed a federal lawsuit in Cheyenne last fall over the agency's earlier failure to grant a bald eagle permit after the tribe applied for one nearly three years ago.

The permit was granted in response to the tribe's application, not the lawsuit that is still pending, Matt Hogan, assistant regional director for the Fish and Wildlife Service in Denver, told The Associated Press in a statement Wednesday.

"Issuance of the permit was in accordance with the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act which allows for take of bald or golden eagles for the 'religious purposes of Indian tribes' if it is compatible with the preservation of eagle populations," Hogan wrote.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service determined that killing one or two bald eagles would be consistent with the standard of preserving eagle populations, Hogan stated.

The national bird was removed from the federal list of threatened species in 2007, following its reclassification in 1995 from endangered to threatened. The birds remain protected under the federal Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.

Feds say Wyo. tribe's bald eagle permit a first - US News and World Report

Is this outrageous or not? This is a attack on our symbol of freedom, the bald eagle. What does this tell us about this man that sits in the White House? Would Teddy Roosevelt approve, or any other American president? I don't know about you but I cherish the Bald Eagle with pride and patriotism. Do you?

Permit to Kill Bald Eagles Granted by Obama Administration | Conservative Byte

Where is PETA?

Oh I doubt they will say anything considering its Obama (a progressive) doing it.

I can't say I really care myself.

It's a damn bird and it's for religious reasons (not that had anything to do with Obama's rationale on the issue)... He probably only did it because they're American Indians.

Quite frankly I don't understand the whole sacrificing a living being for religious reasons. It doesn't seem very humble.

Bald Eagles are no longer endangered.

The stress on the species of losing a couple birds to accomodate the religious services of one of our native Amerian tribes is minor and no threat to the species.

Has killing Eagles in the past helped them? So obama has lowered himself to killing a national symbol for votes?
Just what drove these birds to near extinction?

Hint: It wasn't Native American religious and cultural rites.

Who said it was?

I read this sentence:

"The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has taken the unusual step of issuing a permit allowing an American Indian tribe in Wyoming to kill two bald eagles for religious purposes."

And all I can think about this thread is "Feigned outrage"

Yes the article adds

"Federal law prohibits the killing of bald eagles in almost all cases. The government keeps eagle feathers and body parts in a federal repository and tribal members can apply for them for use in religious ceremonies."

It still does not add to the "Destroy All symbols of America" implication that I gathered from this thread.

You have political victories in hand, why waste time with this secondary non-partisan mess? You even risk messing up your argument for religious freedom if you play this one wrong. Really!

Obama is just fine with the sacrificial killing of our national symbol....

Obama is just fine with a religion that practices animal sacrifice....for a few feathers...

Obama is however against religions that try to protect human life....

btw....other than for food.....is animal sacrifice even legal today in this country.....?

Forum List

Back