Outrageous: Obama Issues Permits To Kill Our Symbol Of Freedom, The Bald Eagle

The Bald Eagle is on the endangered species list.

Either obama supports the protection of disappearing species or he doesn't.

He doesn't. Unless it's a rat, or a 1/2 in long fish. Pretty selective.

If we are going to support killing anything in the name of religious ritual, why isn't this extended to human sacrifice, or is this being premature?

Are you sure it wasn't removed from the list? You sit in front of the Internet. It would be easy to find out.

Is this outrageous or not? This is a attack on our symbol of freedom, the bald eagle. What does this tell us about this man that sits in the White House? Would Teddy Roosevelt approve, or any other American president? I don't know about you but I cherish the Bald Eagle with pride and patriotism. Do you?

Permit to Kill Bald Eagles Granted by Obama Administration | Conservative Byte
I don't like it, but this is that religious freedom from gummint that you nutters have been shrieking about.

How ever they are protected under U.S. Code, Section 16, Chapter 703
PROTECTION OF MIGRATORY GAME AND INSECTIVOROUS BIRDS
http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/16C7.txt

Which was also part of a treaty signed with Canada.

From your link:
the Secretary of the Interior is authorized and directed,
from time to time, having due regard to the zones of temperature
and to the distribution, abundance, economic value, breeding
habits, and times and lines of migratory flight of such birds, to
determine when, to what extent, if at all, and by what means, it is
compatible with the terms of the conventions to allow hunting,
taking, capture, killing, possession, sale, purchase, shipment,
transportation, carriage, or export of any such bird, or any part,
nest, or egg thereof, and to adopt suitable regulations permitting
and governing the same, in accordance with such determinations,
which regulations shall become effective when approved by the
President.

Threadkiller.

Bald Eagles are no longer endangered.

The stress on the species of losing a couple birds to accomodate the religious services of one of our native Amerian tribes is minor and no threat to the species.

How ever they are protected under U.S. Code, Section 16, Chapter 703
PROTECTION OF MIGRATORY GAME AND INSECTIVOROUS BIRDS

Which was also part of a treaty signed with Canada.

From your link:
the Secretary of the Interior is authorized and directed,
from time to time, having due regard to the zones of temperature
and to the distribution, abundance, economic value, breeding
habits, and times and lines of migratory flight of such birds, to
determine when, to what extent, if at all, and by what means, it is
compatible with the terms of the conventions to allow hunting,
taking, capture, killing, possession, sale, purchase, shipment,
transportation, carriage, or export of any such bird, or any part,
nest, or egg thereof, and to adopt suitable regulations permitting
and governing the same, in accordance with such determinations,
which regulations shall become effective when approved by the
President

Threadkiller.

Actually no it isn't did you read the whole act? So obama has lowered himself to killing a national symbol for votes

Last edited:
Bald Eagles are no longer endangered.

The stress on the species of losing a couple birds to accomodate the religious services of one of our native Amerian tribes is minor and no threat to the species.

Has killing Eagles in the past helped them? So obama has lowered himself to killing a national symbol for votes?

In fact obama will be allowing the violation of Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940

Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940

Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940 (16 U.S.C. 668-668d, 54 Stat. 250) as amended -- Approved June 8, 1940, and amended by P.L 86-70 (73 Stat. 143) June 25, 1959; P.L. 87-884 (76 Stat. 1346) October 24, 1962; P.L. 92-535 (86 Stat. 1064) October 23, 1972; and P.L. 95-616 (92 Stat. 3114) November 8, 1978.
This law provides for the protection of the bald eagle (the national emblem) and the golden eagle by prohibiting, except under certain specified conditions, the taking, possession and commerce of such birds. The 1972 amendments increased penalties for violating provisions of the Act or regulations issued pursuant thereto and strengthened other enforcement measures. Rewards are provided for information leading to arrest and conviction for violation of the Act.

The 1978 amendment authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to permit the taking of golden eagle nests that interfere with resource development or recovery operations. (See also the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Endangered Species Act.)

A 1994 Memorandum (59 F.R. 22953, April 29, 1994) from President William J. Clinton to the heads of Executive Agencies and Departments sets out the policy concerning collection and distribution of eagle feathers for Native American religious purposes.
And U.S. Code, Section 16, Chapter 703

Since the Eagle is a bird of prey it's still protected.
Protected Species
The law protects 1,007 migratory and insectivorous game birds including songbirds, birds of prey, ducks, geese, gulls, shorebirds and wading birds. Most birds are protected except "some introduced birds, including European Starlings and House Sparrows, and some agricultural pests, such as Red-winged Blackbirds," and there are legal hunting seasons for some other birds, according to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.

Read more: Federal Migratory Bird Law | eHow.com Federal Migratory Bird Law | eHow.com

And it states "except under certain specified conditions, the taking, possession and commerce of such birds. "

This is a specified condition, and it wasn't done for commerce. It was just like the whale hunting back in the 90's of theWashington State coast that was permitted by the government, for the Indians for a tribal ritual. At that time Green Peace, and a number of left wing nuts tried to disrupt the tribal ritual.

So I have no issue with this, this is a religious freedom, just as I had no issue with the killing of the whales, the Indians are very respectful of this nations laws and for many decades held off the whale hunts until the were taken off the endangered list and it appears to be the same in this case.

I find it funny how hypocritical the lefties are in this matter. If it is okay with Obama, it's okay with them, "our fearless" has spoken.

The Bald Eagle is on the endangered species list.

No it isn't. It was removed from the endangered list in '95, and the endangered/threatened list altogether in '07.

Bald eagle soars off endangered list - CNN

press release: U.S. Department of the Interior - News Release - Bald Eagle Soars Off Endangered Species List Secretary Kempthorne: The eagle has returned

I thought I remembered reading that.

I don't like the idea of this. One reason is that the Bald Eagle is our national symbol, but I have to ask this, aren't Native American Tribes sovereign nations on their own? Do we have a legal right to prevent them from killing all the eagles they want?

I think we should be glad it is only two they are seeking at the moment.

Immie

I agree.

I also wonder how many Bald Eagles die every year of natural cause, disease, starvation of accidental death? Bird that are never found??

Two taken by American Indians isn't going to make or break the Eagle population.

In fact obama will be allowing the violation of Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940

Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940 (16 U.S.C. 668-668d, 54 Stat. 250) as amended -- Approved June 8, 1940, and amended by P.L 86-70 (73 Stat. 143) June 25, 1959; P.L. 87-884 (76 Stat. 1346) October 24, 1962; P.L. 92-535 (86 Stat. 1064) October 23, 1972; and P.L. 95-616 (92 Stat. 3114) November 8, 1978.
This law provides for the protection of the bald eagle (the national emblem) and the golden eagle by prohibiting, except under certain specified conditions, the taking, possession and commerce of such birds. The 1972 amendments increased penalties for violating provisions of the Act or regulations issued pursuant thereto and strengthened other enforcement measures. Rewards are provided for information leading to arrest and conviction for violation of the Act.

The 1978 amendment authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to permit the taking of golden eagle nests that interfere with resource development or recovery operations. (See also the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Endangered Species Act.)

A 1994 Memorandum (59 F.R. 22953, April 29, 1994) from President William J. Clinton to the heads of Executive Agencies and Departments sets out the policy concerning collection and distribution of eagle feathers for Native American religious purposes.
And U.S. Code, Section 16, Chapter 703

Since the Eagle is a bird of prey it's still protected.
Protected Species
The law protects 1,007 migratory and insectivorous game birds including songbirds, birds of prey, ducks, geese, gulls, shorebirds and wading birds. Most birds are protected except "some introduced birds, including European Starlings and House Sparrows, and some agricultural pests, such as Red-winged Blackbirds," and there are legal hunting seasons for some other birds, according to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.

Read more: Federal Migratory Bird Law | eHow.com Federal Migratory Bird Law | eHow.com

And it states "except under certain specified conditions, the taking, possession and commerce of such birds. "

This is a specified condition, and it wasn't done for commerce. It was just like the whale hunting back in the 90's of theWashington State coast that was permitted by the government, for the Indians for a tribal ritual. At that time Green Peace, and a number of left wing nuts tried to disrupt the tribal ritual.

So I have no issue with this, this is a religious freedom, just as I had no issue with the killing of the whales, the Indians are very respectful of this nations laws and for many decades held off the whale hunts until the were taken off the endangered list and it appears to be the same in this case.

I find it funny how hypocritical the lefties are in this matter. If it is okay with Obama, it's okay with them, "our fearless" has spoken.

I really have a problem with this for several reasons, since the birds mate for life, it's not like the birds other mate will search for another if one dies. It's our national symbol so obama is allowing the killing of our symbol for votes.

No that would be mr. spread the wealth obama

Yea, because helping the middle class is a bad thing. No, wait.

Your an idiot the only people obama wants to help is those receiving government help his voter base and the rich ceo's that he bailed out in 2009.

The way things are going, it is evident to me that President Obama wants to increase the number of people receiving government help by a minimum of ten fold.

Immie

Forum List

Back