Oregon imposes gag order on Christian bakers in gay wedding case

???.....so was the definition of marriage.....

It was? Funny...60 years ago blacks couldn't marry whites. Guess it wasn't as "settled" as you think, eh?
Bullshit.

Nope...true shit. You've heard of Loving v Virginia, yes?
Glad to see you're still alive and well...

Blacks and whites have married throughout the history of this country, even if not recognized in all states, a fact that renders your claim bullshit. So I was correct.

Oh, you mean in churches like gay folks have been doing for decades?

Completely separate issue.
Legally recognized in most states. You should become familiar with American history; most Americans were not racists like you are.

It was? Funny...60 years ago blacks couldn't marry whites. Guess it wasn't as "settled" as you think, eh?
Bullshit.

Nope...true shit. You've heard of Loving v Virginia, yes?
Glad to see you're still alive and well...

Blacks and whites have married throughout the history of this country, even if not recognized in all states, a fact that renders your claim bullshit. So I was correct.

Oh, you mean in churches like gay folks have been doing for decades?

Completely separate issue.
Legally recognized in most states. You should become familiar with American history; most Americans were not racists like you are.

So was SSM when the SCOTUS ruled. Legal in 37 states at the time. And?

What rights were infringed upon specifically? How was this bakery "attacked" by homosexuals? How did homosexual customers keep the bakery from worshiping God? Did they attack and burn the church?
well you might understand better if you went to a Muslim bakery and asked them to bake a gay wedding cake for you....i am sure they would inform you in no uncertain terms why they would not do so..... and if you didn't like their explanation and tried to sue them then you would probably be at the wrong end of a fatwa.....

of course this exercise would never happen because lefties and Muslims 'get along'.....

What rights were infringed upon specifically? How was this bakery "attacked" by homosexuals? How did homosexual customers keep the bakery from worshiping God? Did they attack and burn the church?
well you might understand better if you went to a Muslim bakery and asked them to bake a gay wedding cake for you....i am sure they would inform you in no uncertain terms why they would not do so..... and if you didn't like their explanation and tried to sue them then you would probably be at the wrong end of a fatwa.....

of course this exercise would never happen because lefties and Muslims 'get along'.....
I still don't understand what rights were infringed. Were the Christians kept from worshipping? Was their property damaged? What exactly were the means and methods of the attacks on rights?

I still don't understand what rights were infringed. Were the Christians kept from worshipping? Was their property damaged? What exactly were the means and methods of the attacks on rights?
their right to practice freedom of religion.....(not to mention their free speech)

of course the left is trying to limit religion to the confines of a church...and ban it from the public square...

their right to practice freedom of religion.....(not to mention their free speech)

of course the left is trying to limit religion to the confines of a church...and ban it from the public square...
A basic tenet of their Christian faith is to demean, dismiss and discriminate against homosexuals?

And here I was under the impression that Christianity peached to love your neighbor as you would be loved yourself.

So there is some belief that discrimination is part and parcel of Christianity? Or that discrimination is legal regardless of the public accommodation laws? Or that only some Christians should discriminate because the Bible tells them so, in spite of the law? Or, it it that only particular Christians believe this stuff and can ignore the admonition to judge not lest ye be judged? Or is this new found Christian dogma just religious cover for good old fashioned Gay bashing?

The answer has to lay in these questions somewhere.

A basic tenet of their Christian faith is to demean, dismiss and discriminate against homosexuals?

And here I was under the impression that Christianity peached to love your neighbor as you would be loved yourself.

So there is some belief that discrimination is part and parcel of Christianity? Or that discrimination is legal regardless of the public accommodation laws? Or that only some Christians should discriminate because the Bible tells them so, in spite of the law? Or, it it that only particular Christians believe this stuff and can ignore the admonition to judge not lest ye be judged? Or is this new found Christian dogma just religious cover for good old fashioned Gay bashing?

your impression is correct.....but Christians love themselves first by not engaging in homosexuality because it is sinful....and nobody here was getting demeaned - just politely told they could not bake the cake....and yes there is Christian discrimination between good and bad.....unlike secularists who blur the line....

another example....do you think it would be appropriate to force them to bake and decorate a nasty X-rated cake for some perverted sex party.....?

just where do you draw the line telling people what they can and can't do...? and who says you have the right to draw that line anyway under our Constitution....?

where in the Constitution does it say that all people must believe and do the same thing....?

The freedom to choose your customers requires a rather broad interpretation of freedom of religion, so broad that it would open the door for a person or business to do just about anything under the guise of freedom of religion.

The freedom to choose your customers requires a rather broad interpretation of freedom of religion, so broad that it would open the door for a person or business to do just about anything under the guise of freedom of religion.

i thought it was the customer who had the choice to buy or not buy....the freedom to shop wherever he got what he wanted...

are you saying a shop keeper must supply whatever any customer demanded...?

your impression is correct.....but Christians love themselves first by not engaging in homosexuality because it is sinful....and nobody here was getting demeaned - just politely told they could not bake the cake....and yes there is Christian discrimination between good and bad.....unlike secularists who blur the line....

another example....do you think it would be appropriate to force them to bake and decorate a nasty X-rated cake for some perverted sex party.....?

just where do you draw the line telling people what they can and can't do...? and who says you have the right to draw that line anyway under our Constitution....?

where in the Constitution does it say that all people must believe and do the same thing....?
An X-rated cake may or may not be on the menu at that bakery. But wedding cakes are. Some homosexual couple came to that bakery with cash or credit cards to employ that bakery in providing the same level of service that attracted that homosexual couple to the business in the first place. Does that constitute an attack on the Christian beliefs of that baker?

That Christian baker feared for the status of his immortal soul in dealing with his fellow American citizens who happened to be Gay. Does that baker also deal with those who fail to honor their parents, who fail to keep the Sabbath holy, who take the Lord's name in vein, customers who steal or covet their neighbor's possessions? I know from my Sunday School training that all those are sins specifically mentioned in the Bible. But dealing with a homosexual is more dire for your soul?

And after this dastardly attack from paying customers, the baker decides that public accommodation laws don't apply to him. He denies service due to an immutable trait of his customer. And that is seen as freedom?

C'mon!

Why is this peculiar bit of Christian dogma suddenly a primary tenet of the faith?

Using religion as a bludgeon rather than the device through which we can become a better people seems to me, at least, as an improper use of religion.

An X-rated cake may or may not be on the menu at that bakery. But wedding cakes are. Some homosexual couple came to that bakery with cash or credit cards to employ that bakery in providing the same level of service that attracted that homosexual couple to the business in the first place. Does that constitute an attack on the Christian beliefs of that baker?

That Christian baker feared for the status of his immortal soul in dealing with his fellow American citizens who happened to be Gay. Does that baker also deal with those who fail to honor their parents, who fail to keep the Sabbath holy, who take the Lord's name in vein, customers who steal or covet their neighbor's possessions? I know from my Sunday School training that all those are sins specifically mentioned in the Bible. But dealing with a homosexual is more dire for your soul?

And after this dastardly attack from paying customers, the baker decides that public accommodation laws don't apply to him. He denies service due to an immutable trait of his customer. And that is seen as freedom?

C'mon!

Why is this peculiar bit of Christian dogma suddenly a primary tenet of the faith?

Using religion as a bludgeon rather than the device through which we can become a better people seems to me, at least, as an improper use of religion.

must a butcher who sells regular meat provide kosher or halaal meat to those 'different' customers....?

if he doesn't does that mean he is 'denying service to an immutable trait of his customer'......?

is the butcher 'denying freedom' to those Jewish and Muslim shoppers....?

i thought it was the customer who had the choice to buy or not buy....the freedom to shop wherever he got what he wanted...

I'm saying if the shopkeeper is in business to serve the public he should serve the public. When he put's that open for business sign up, he should not be able to pick his customers based on race, sex, ethnic origins, or sexual preference.

C'mon!

must a butcher who sells regular meat provide kosher or halaal meat to those 'different' customers....?

if he doesn't does that mean he is 'denying service to an immutable trait of his customer'......?

No. Butcher shops that provide Kosher or halaal products are specialty shops. No pork is on their menu. If a customer wants the special preparations needed to certify meat as Kosher or Halaal would not be discriminated against should those butcher shops deny them of that service.

But...

Wedding cakes ARE on the menu at just about every bakery. And wedding cakes certainly are on the menu at the Oregon bakery. Wedding cakes are a cornerstone of their business model. Asking for a wedding cake at a bakery that makes wedding cakes is not analogous to asking for a Kosher brisket at Satriale's Pork Store.

I'm saying if the shopkeeper is in business to serve the public he should serve the public. When he put's that open for business sign up, he should not be able to pick his customers based on race, sex, ethnic origins, or sexual preference.

what about religion....?

isn't the 'ordinary' butcher picking customers based on religion....?

C'mon!

No. Butcher shops that provide Kosher or halaal products are specialty shops. No pork is on their menu. If a customer wants the special preparations needed to certify meat as Kosher or Halaal would not be discriminated against should those butcher shops deny them of that service.

But...

Wedding cakes ARE on the menu at just about every bakery. And wedding cakes certainly are on the menu at the Oregon bakery. Wedding cakes are a cornerstone of their business model. Asking for a wedding cake at a bakery that makes wedding cakes is not analogous to asking for a Kosher brisket at Satriale's Pork Store.

then shouldn't they shop at a specialty shop that provides gay wedding cakes...? most people buy straight ones...

what about religion....?

isn't the 'ordinary' butcher picking customers based on religion....?
You don't seem to grasp this. Let's try again.

Wedding cakes are on the menu at the bakery. The baker is discriminating against homosexuals by not providing an item that is part and parcel of his normal business.

A butcher may or may not go to the trouble of certifying his shop as Kosher or Halaal. If he does decide that his business should offer Kosher or Halaal products, he has to offer those product to the general public.

If a customer wants Kosher/Halaal products, he should go to a butcher offering such products as a normal part of his business.

If you offer products, be they wedding cakes or Kosher chicken, you have to sell to the general public. If you want specialized products, the customer cannot demand the proprietor to provide items beyond his menu.

C'mon!

But...

then shouldn't they shop at a specialty shop that provides gay wedding cakes...? most people buy straight ones...
What do you imagine a same sex wedding cake looks like? Here's a hint: it looks like a wedding cake.

Forum List

Back