Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

i don't care who you want to blame. It's still wrong. Someone should step in and stop this from happening. I don't care whether it's a republican or a democrat who does it. Just stop it from being implemented and i'll be satisfied. If you just watch it happen without doing anything then you are at fault and are complicit.

qft

I don't care who you want to blame. It's still wrong. Someone should step in and stop this from happening. I don't care whether it's a Republican or a Democrat who does it. Just stop it from being implemented and i'll be satisfied. If you just watch it happen without doing anything then you are at fault and are complicit.
Who the hell cares if lightbulbs have to become more energy efficient?

Jesus, do you pee your pants in terror over everything?

If this shit passed Congress then the Clowns in Congress are to blame.

Who the hell is gonna have the money to pay $50 for a damned light bulb??

If you break one its a hazmat issue. Who is to blame if you or a member of your family dies of mercury poisoning??

Brilliant. Another bright idea courtsey of the best and brightest in the land. Our elected officials.

What a bunch of morons.

I don't care who you want to blame. It's still wrong. Someone should step in and stop this from happening. I don't care whether it's a Republican or a Democrat who does it. Just stop it from being implemented and i'll be satisfied. If you just watch it happen without doing anything then you are at fault and are complicit.

I support enery-efficiency regulations. One of the few decisions of Presisent Bush that I agree with.

Philips Lighting is launching a range of incandescent light bulbs that it says comply with impending energy-efficiency regulations.

The EcoVantage range has the same look, shape and feel as common household bulbs, available in soft white, true-color natural light and crystal clear options, and starts at $2.97 for a two-pack, Philips said. EcoVantage uses halogen technology to offer energy savings of at least 28 percent, the company added.

The lights are available in 29-watt, 43-watt and 72-watt versions, replacing 40-watt, 60-watt and 100-watt traditional incandescents. The bulbs will be sold exclusively at Home Depot, starting on Earth Day.

Philips Seeks to Beat Incandescent ‘Ban’ · Environmental Management & Energy News · Environmental Leader

How the government improves our lives:

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL

What to Do if a Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulb or Fluorescent Tube Light Bulb Breaks in Your Home: Overview

Fluorescent light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. When a fluorescent bulb breaks in your home, some of this mercury is released as mercury vapor. The broken bulb can continue to release mercury vapor until it is cleaned up and removed from the residence. To minimize exposure to mercury vapor, EPA recommends that residents follow the cleanup and disposal steps described below.

This page presents only the most important steps to reduce exposure to mercury vapor from a broken bulb.

► View the detailed recommendations.

► Download and print a three-page PDF version of this overview and the detailed recommendations (91K, about PDF) | en español (30K, about PDF)

Before cleanup
Have people and pets leave the room.
Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb.

During cleanup
Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After cleanup
Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

You know,most often when the Government tells you it's "For your own Good",it probably isn't. That has been my experience with Government anyway. It's always "For your own Good." When they say that,you just know they're taking more of your Freedom away. It's actually very sad to see so many cheerleading for these kinds of Government abuses. I guess they just don't know any better.

If this shit passed Congress then the Clowns in Congress are to blame.

Who the hell is gonna have the money to pay $50 for a damned light bulb??

If you break one its a hazmat issue. Who is to blame if you or a member of your family dies of mercury poisoning??

Brilliant. Another bright idea courtsey of the best and brightest in the land. Our elected officials.

What a bunch of morons.

It passed Congress in 2007.

The $50 bulbs are new LED's and are said to last 15-17 years

I don't know if there is any hazzard if you break an LED

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL

What to Do if a Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulb or Fluorescent Tube Light Bulb Breaks in Your Home: Overview

Fluorescent light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. When a fluorescent bulb breaks in your home, some of this mercury is released as mercury vapor. The broken bulb can continue to release mercury vapor until it is cleaned up and removed from the residence. To minimize exposure to mercury vapor, EPA recommends that residents follow the cleanup and disposal steps described below.

This page presents only the most important steps to reduce exposure to mercury vapor from a broken bulb.

► Download and print a three-page PDF version of this overview and the detailed recommendations (91K, about PDF) | en español (30K, about PDF)

Before cleanup
Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.

During cleanup

After cleanup
Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

You know,most often when the Government tells you it's "For your own Good",it probably isn't. That has been my experience with Government anyway. It's always "For your own Good." When they say that,you just know they're taking more of your Freedom away. It's actually very sad to see so many cheerleading for these kinds of Government abuses. I guess they just don't know any better.

Actually there are several examples through-out our history that "For your own good" really was and is. The problem in many of the historical cases is that the government reacted to an incident. The one I remember the best is when some phamacist mixed anti-freeze in cough syrup and several children got sick and died. That launched the FDA.

Think about all the toxic crap being used to make the silicon for this stuff the enviro nut's were screaming bloody murder not long ago about that little fact.....now suddenly it ok?

NEW YORK – Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each — so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs.

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

To encourage energy efficiency, Congress passed a law in 2007 mandating that bulbs producing 100 watts worth of light meet certain efficiency goals, starting in 2012. Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them. The same rule will start apply to remaining bulbs 40 watts and above in 2014. Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs.
LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms - Yahoo! News

So...exactly which part of the Constitution covers 'mandating which light bulbs Americans can use'?
(in 2007, Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress)

Is that after the 'toilet bowl amendment'? ("When the federal government mandated that new toilets use no more than 1.6 gallons per flush,...")

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

LED Bulbs Get Brighter As Ban Looms

Get that? The bulb produces so much heat, it's used in an "oven" to bake.

However, 60-watt bulbs are the big prize, since they're the most common. There are 425 million incandescent light bulbs in the 60-watt range in use in the U.S. today, said Zia Eftekhar, the head of Philips' North American lighting division. The energy savings that could be realized by replacing them with 10-watt LED bulbs is staggering.

Oops.

How about this novel approach...we inform the citizens of the choices, as in an open debate, and allow them to make up their own minds....

... as opposed to bans and mandates.

Why is coercion so prominent in the Left's approach?
Because they know the Right hates this country so much that they will choose to aid and abet the enemies of this country by being as wasteful as humanly possible rather than starve our enemies of the oil money that fuels their terrorist attacks on our soil.

April 22, 2008
RUSH: "It's very simple. Drive. Drive! Drive five miles above the speed limit when you're on the highway. Go out and buy, buy, buy! Use extra toilet paper. Clog up the toilet if you have to with extra toilet paper. Use, use, use. Turn on every light in the house, every light in the office, and leave it on when you leave -- and if you see anybody driving a stupid hybrid around, just buzz 'em with your horn and wave at 'em as you speed by."

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL

Before cleanup

During cleanup

After cleanup

Actually there are several examples through-out our history that "For your own good" really was and is. The problem in many of the historical cases is that the government reacted to an incident. The one I remember the best is when some phamacist mixed anti-freeze in cough syrup and several children got sick and died. That launched the FDA.

Making broad based laws and regulations over isolated incidents is overkill and your little POV neglects the costs and burdens such overkill places on those who have done no harm.

LED Bulbs Get Brighter As Ban Looms

Get that? The bulb produces so much heat, it's used in an "oven" to bake.

However, 60-watt bulbs are the big prize, since they're the most common. There are 425 million incandescent light bulbs in the 60-watt range in use in the U.S. today, said Zia Eftekhar, the head of Philips' North American lighting division. The energy savings that could be realized by replacing them with 10-watt LED bulbs is staggering.

Oops.

How about this novel approach...we inform the citizens of the choices, as in an open debate, and allow them to make up their own minds....

... as opposed to bans and mandates.

Why is coercion so prominent in the Left's approach?
Because they know the Right hates this country so much that they will choose to aid and abet the enemies of this country by being as wasteful as humanly possible rather than starve our enemies of the oil money that fuels their terrorist attacks on our soil.

April 22, 2008
RUSH: "It's very simple. Drive. Drive! Drive five miles above the speed limit when you're on the highway. Go out and buy, buy, buy! Use extra toilet paper. Clog up the toilet if you have to with extra toilet paper. Use, use, use. Turn on every light in the house, every light in the office, and leave it on when you leave -- and if you see anybody driving a stupid hybrid around, just buzz 'em with your horn and wave at 'em as you speed by."

:eek:

Did you say "Rush"???

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCkJ16gbrgg&feature=related]YouTube - The Pretenders- My City Was Gone (45)[/ame]

Making broad based laws and regulations over isolated incidents is overkill and your little POV neglects the costs and burdens such overkill places on those who have done no harm.

I can't completely disagree that the government has at times overreacted and overreacted badly. However, the consequences of not taking action many times outweights the problems of "overkill". Regulating energy efficency I happen to agree with.

I just bought a half dozen of these New Orleans style gas lamps for my pub in the barn.

BevoloFQlamp_t180.jpg

Maybe I'll use them all through my house too.

The SCOTUS just gave law enforcement effective carte blanche to ignore the 4th Amendment and garden variety government regulation of commerce is what you choose to get your panties in a twist about?

That's some seriously fucked up priorities right there.

I use halogen bulbs in all my recessed lighting. As far as I know, they're not being banned.

Here's a solution.

Don't ban the sale of incandescent bulbs, just tax them at $100 a piece.

Any alleged constitutional stumbling blocks eradicted. :thup:

Last edited:
CFLs don't fit in my oven & likely can't handle the heat. They also don't work in cold weather for outdoor lighting. Not good as dimmers either.

SAY WHAAA??...

The new $50 Bulb will replace incandescent Bulbs that have now been Banned by our Government. The Ban takes effect starting in January 2012.

Wow. Should our Government really be banning products and forcing Citizens to purchase particular products? This seems very disturbing to me. How can this be allowed to go forward? I've actually read where these new Bulbs are actually pretty hazardous. You don't want one of these Bulbs breaking in your Home. But these will be the only Bulbs you'll be allowed to purchase starting next year. Banning the old Bulbs just looks like an awful abuse of Power to me. I'm just so baffled as to how our Government can be allowed such unchecked power. Many are suspecting GE is behind this whole thing. They do have a very close relationship with this President. GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt is now his "Jobs Czar." I'm very disappointed this is being allowed to move forward. But what say you all?

I fucking can't wait to see what the libtards are gonna do with all that damn mercury.. teee heeee heee.

Forum List

Back