Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

Wait a minute $50 light bulbs? how are people supposed to afford this?

Not only that. But factories will close and jobs lost.

Congress has nothing better to do, than to kowtow to GE?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eA4uJjE70&NR=1]YouTube - Incandescent light bulb ban in 2014[/ame]

Remember this?

Jeffrey Immelt's appointment to the Economic Recovery Advisory Board doesn't signal any change in direction for the White House. Why? Because GE CEO Immelt has been on board with Team Obama and its big government agenda all along.

I'm in the process of stocking up on tungstens. Every time I go to the store, I pick up a few.

It started many moons ago......

In addition to raising auto fuel efficiency standards 40 percent, an energy bill passed by Congress yesterday bans the incandescent light bulb by 2014.

President Bush signed the 822-page measure into law today after it was sent up Pennsylvania Avenue in a Toyota Prius hybrid vehicle. The House passed the bill by a 314-100 vote after approval by the Senate last week.

Rep. John D. Dingell, D-Mich., chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said the legislation will boost the energy efficiency of "almost every significant product and tool and appliance that we use, from light bulbs to light trucks."

The phase-out of incandescent light is to begin with the 100-watt bulb in 2012 and end in 2014 with the 40-watt.

Read more: Congress bans incandescent bulbs Congress bans incandescent bulbs

Oh and the $50.00 light bulb are LED and are suppose to last 15-17 years.

LED lights have been used on trucks and trailers for a few years now. They end up burning out in about 1 & 1/2 years.

it's not just the USA, it's on the agenda for the whole world.....!!

we are one of the last countries to implement it from what i have read....

I had the hubby go out and buy a ton of incandescent bulbs inevery watage that exist, 25,40, 60,75,100 and some 3 ways....hahahahahahahaha! I hate the fluorescent lights...we boaght a bunch of them, and paid a fortune, and tried to truly do the right thing and cut our light wattage down...BUT they are just horrible, i hate the light they give off and we broke one the first day over the stove area and mercury got everywhere....around my cooking area, along with the fine glass....freaked me out, especially the warning on the mercury....

anyway, I sent Matt out to pick up all the incandescent lights he could find! :lol:

they say they put out more heat than light and they are a waste, but THIS IS WHY I LIKE THEM, living in Maine, it's near always cold in the house a good portion of the year...the heat that the incandescent lights put out is like a 2 for 1, for me!
Not all incandescents are being banned, just the ones that are energy inefficient.

The ban is on 100W starting in 2012; 40W and up starting in 2014.

Wait a minute $50 light bulbs? how are people supposed to afford this?

Not only that. But factories will close and jobs lost.

Congress has nothing better to do, than to kowtow to GE?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eA4uJjE70&NR=1]YouTube - Incandescent light bulb ban in 2014[/ame]

Remember this?

Jeffrey Immelt's appointment to the Economic Recovery Advisory Board doesn't signal any change in direction for the White House. Why? Because GE CEO Immelt has been on board with Team Obama and its big government agenda all along.

you reap what ya sow.

In addition to raising auto fuel efficiency standards 40 percent, an energy bill passed by Congress yesterday bans the incandescent light bulb by 2014.

President Bush signed the 822-page measure into law today after it was sent up Pennsylvania Avenue in a Toyota Prius hybrid vehicle. The House passed the bill by a 314-100 vote after approval by the Senate last week.

Rep. John D. Dingell, D-Mich., chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said the legislation will boost the energy efficiency of "almost every significant product and tool and appliance that we use, from light bulbs to light trucks."

The phase-out of incandescent light is to begin with the 100-watt bulb in 2012 and end in 2014 with the 40-watt.

LED lights have been used on trucks and trailers for a few years now. They end up burning out in about 1 & 1/2 years.

That's really worth 50 BUCKS!

Some fleets are requiring them to be replaced with incandescents when they burn out. those are only 7 bucks each.

SAY WHAAA??...

The new $50 Bulb will replace incandescent Bulbs that have now been Banned by our Government. The Ban takes effect starting in January 2012.

Wow. Should our Government really be banning products and forcing Citizens to purchase particular products? This seems very disturbing to me. How can this be allowed to go forward? I've actually read where these new Bulbs are actually pretty hazardous. You don't want one of these Bulbs breaking in your Home. But these will be the only Bulbs you'll be allowed to purchase starting next year. Banning the old Bulbs just looks like an awful abuse of Power to me. I'm just so baffled as to how our Government can be allowed such unchecked power. Many are suspecting GE is behind this whole thing. They do have a very close relationship with this President. GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt is now his "Jobs Czar." I'm very disappointed this is being allowed to move forward. But what say you all?

what is this $50.00 bulb?

Oh and if anyone wants incandecents, i have cases ready to sell at overinflated prices when they are no longer made, and all my bulbs were made in the USA!

A side note: I actually use the obamabulbs (CFL bulbs) in my house and have been using them for over 10 years. I dont do it to save the planet, I did it because they dont burn out and make my electric bill cheaper.
Why do you call them Obamabulbs? Bushbulbs would be more accurate.

How about congressbulbs? Maybe, dumbpeoplewhovoteouttheirbuttbulbs? :D

This is great! Now our government can "require" us to purchase items according to decree. When the republicans get in, they could "require" all people to own a firearm (maybe even an automatic)! They could also be ordered to support the coal and oil industries! They could make houses have a 3000 sq ft minimum!
Then when democrats get back in office, they can order everyone to cut their houses in half for another family or tear down half! They can "require" everyone to install solar panels on their property to help supply the community with "free power" (of course the homeowner would be responsible for maintenance)! They can give waivers to all companies that are "friends of the democrats".

It will be like old England when the royalty decreed which religion would be followed, usually involving much bloodshed! Wow, aren't we "progresssing"?

Hey here's a crazy idea...Why not let the Citizens/Consumers decide for themselves which light bulbs they want to purchase? I know this sounds shocking & appalling to the usual suspects,but what the hell? Give Freedom a chance. How bout it people?

a little more info:

Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007

Legislative history
Introduced in the House as H.R.6 by Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV) on January 12, 2007
Passed the House on January 18, 2007 (264 - 163)
Passed the Senate on June 21, 2007 (65 - 27)
Reported by the joint conference committee on December 6, 2007; agreed to by the Senate on December 13, 2007 (86 - 8) and by the House on December 18, 2007 (314 - 100)
Signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 19, 2007

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (Pub.L. 110-140[1] originally named the CLEAN Energy Act of 2007) is an Act of Congress concerning the energy policy of the United States. As part of the Democratic Party's 100-Hour Plan during the 110th Congress,[2] it was introduced in the United States House of Representatives by Representative Nick Rahall of West Virginia, along with 198 cosponsors. Despite Rahall becoming 1 of only 4 Democrats to oppose the final bill,[3] it passed in the House without amendment in January 2007. When the Act was introduced in the Senate in June 2007, it was combined with Senate Bill S. 1419: Renewable Fuels, Consumer Protection, and Energy Efficiency Act of 2007.[4] This amended version passed the Senate on June 21, 2007.[5][6] After further amendments and negotiation between the House and Senate, a revised bill passed both houses on December 18, 2007[7] and President Bush, a Republican, signed it into law on December 19, 2007 in response to his "Twenty in Ten" challenge to reduce gasoline consumption by 20% in 10 years.[8]

The stated purpose of the act is “to move the United States toward greater energy independence and security, to increase the production of clean renewable fuels, to protect consumers, to increase the efficiency of products, buildings, and vehicles, to promote research on and deploy greenhouse gas capture and storage options, and to improve the energy performance of the Federal Government, and for other purposes.”.[9] House Speaker Nancy Pelosi promoted the Act as a way of lowering energy costs to consumers.[10] The bill followed another major piece of energy legislation, the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

The bill originally sought to cut subsidies to the petroleum industry in order to promote petroleum independence and different forms of alternative energy. These tax changes were ultimately dropped after opposition in the Senate, and the final bill focused on automobile fuel economy, development of biofuels, and energy efficiency in public buildings and lighting.
Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder if people are willing to be clear in their statements about this. The OP and some subsequent posts make it sound as though the government has banned incandescent bulbs and will require the manufacture of these $50 dollar bulbs.

BTW a local Lowes recently were selling the flourescent bulbs for $1 each.
So how does this mandate a person buying the most expensive bulbs?

This is a much better post...the first one was just nonsense.

The question is, should the government be mandating or banning lightbulbs?

I'm gonna guess, from that other post, that you would be fine with the gov sticking to its Constitutional powers, pretty much.

Nope, because the constitution is way out of date. The writers could not envision our electric grid or our dependence on oil nor the effects of polloution, etc.
And our govt has not kept up in updating the constitution.

Nor could the founders envision how lazy and spoiled the American people would become.

The Constitution is out of date huh. Nice to know where you stand on individual liberty and freedom. No doubt your Con Con would see the end of the 2nd Amendment and universal amnesty for illegals eh?

I imagine they are not these.

GE's New Omni-Direction LED Bulb that Will Last for 17 Years

GE’s new omnidirection LED bulb that will last for 17 years is an excellent breakthrough for modern technology. GE has announced that an LED 40 watt replacement bulb is expected to be available in the near future. This “Energy Smart” bulb is expected to save consumers over seventy-five percent more energy while putting out almost the same amount of light as the incandescent bulb does.

So . . . pros and cons:

The advantages of CFLs, according to ENERGYSTAR®, include:

Provides the same amount of light as an ordinary bulb, but uses about 75 percent less energy (the ones I buy don't)

Generates approximately 75 percent less heat, cutting home cooling costs

Lasts up to 10 times longer than a standard incandescent bulb (Anywhere from 6,000 to 15,000 hours of use.)

Saves about $30 in energy costs over each bulb’s lifetime (I question this)

Allows for different color temperatures (color) for differing applications

Quality CFLs give off pleasing, wide-spread general light at reduced energy costs
compared to standard incandescent light bulbs.

The disadvantages of CFLs include:

A minute amount of mercury is included, which requiring careful clean-up and disposal
Low-end, low-price bulbs often flicker, and burn-out quickly

Higher initial cost than incandescent bulbs

Not all CFL bulbs are dimmable. Use CFLs labeled for dimming

Most photocells, motion sensors and electric timers are not designed to work with CFLs.

Always check with the manufacturer or check the box for compatibility

CFLs require a warm-up time before reaching full brightness. The time varies from a few seconds to minutes, depending on the manufacturer.

LED advantages include:

No mercury or other harmful elements are in a finished LED
Extremely low energy consumption (LEDs use 8 watts to produce 60 watts of light. A CFL uses 14)

LEDs last an estimated 25 to 30 years, or 50,000 hours

Contain no glass and are difficult to break

Excellent for rapid cycling, vibration, and hard-to-reach applications.

LED disadvantages include:

High cost, which will be recovered by long life and energy-savings, but it still deters many purchases.

LEDs are often more direction oriented in light output, which may be ideal for a recessed can, but not your reading lamp.

Sometimes an incandescent bulb will be the best option, but we're not going to have that choice.

Guess who the largest producer of CFL and LED lighting in the world is? General Electric who unfortunately will be manufacturing most of the product overseas in places like China and then importing it back to the United States. And who is Obama's recently appointed head of the President's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness? Jeff Immelt, CEO of GE.

Who is Obama's current Chief of Staff? William Daley who just happened to recently be on the executive committee for JP Morgan. Why does that matter to energy policy? Well, JP Morgan is applying a lot of external and internal strategies to raise energy prices by bringing about government-mandated reductions in greenhouse gas emissions including mandating the appliances, heating, and lighting that will be allowed and imposing high taxes on energy to force people to buy smaller houses and appliances, etc.

All you have to do is follow the money on some of this stuff and all sorts of red flags pop up.

I imagine they are not these.

GE's New Omni-Direction LED Bulb that Will Last for 17 Years

GE’s new omnidirection LED bulb that will last for 17 years is an excellent breakthrough for modern technology. GE has announced that an LED 40 watt replacement bulb is expected to be available in the near future. This “Energy Smart” bulb is expected to save consumers over seventy-five percent more energy while putting out almost the same amount of light as the incandescent bulb does.

No, I'm talking about these lights.

Sealed, 4" Round LED Trailer Stop, Turn and Tail Light, Flange Mount, 3-Function, 10 SuperDiode Optronics Trailer Lights STL42RB

Optronics Trailer Lights - STL42RB

5-1/2" Diam x 1-5/16" D; Sealed, waterproof; flange mount on 4-1/4" centers; 3-prong plug connection; 10 super diode LEDs
Sealed, 4" Round LED Trailer Stop, Turn and Tail Light, Flange Mount, 3-Function, 10-Super Diode

This is a sealed, round LED combination stop, turn, and tail light. The LEDs in this light are super diodes for exceptional brightness and performance

Do you think the auto LED's cost 50 bucks?

Forum List

Back