Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

the use of incandescent bulbs are not banned....if we have them, we can use them in 2012-the end of our lifetime.

manufacturers can not produce them, due to higher energy standards passed in this 2007 bill

the use of incandescent bulbs are not banned....if we have them, we can use them in 2012-the end of our lifetime.

manufacturers can not produce them, due to higher energy standards passed in this 2007 bill

Semantics.

If they are banned from production then use is banned by attrition.

Semantics.

If they are banned from production then use is banned by attrition.

yes, eventually....but i gotta feeling, with everyone stocking up and those stocking up to sell on ebay...it won't come in to fruition in my lifetime.

SAY WHAAA??...

The new $50 Bulb will replace incandescent Bulbs that have now been Banned by our Government. The Ban takes effect starting in January 2012.

Wow. Should our Government really be banning products and forcing Citizens to purchase particular products? This seems very disturbing to me. How can this be allowed to go forward? I've actually read where these new Bulbs are actually pretty hazardous. You don't want one of these Bulbs breaking in your Home. But these will be the only Bulbs you'll be allowed to purchase starting next year. Banning the old Bulbs just looks like an awful abuse of Power to me. I'm just so baffled as to how our Government can be allowed such unchecked power. Many are suspecting GE is behind this whole thing. They do have a very close relationship with this President. GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt is now his "Jobs Czar." I'm very disappointed this is being allowed to move forward. But what say you all?

Good grief, you people must lay awake nights thinking up shit you hope might stick as truth somewhere out in Loopyland.

I've never paid more than $.99 for a regular replacement spiral bulb for the equivalence of 100 watts. The highest priced one I could find on the Internet was a 105 WATT SPIRAL DAYLIGHT COMPACT FLUORESCENT BULB REPLACES UP TO A 500 WATT INCANDESCENT AND LASTS 10,000 HOURS that sells for $46.00. But that's one helluva light bulb, not one normally needed in the comfort of your home.

With regard to the scare tactic:
The average CFL contains 4 to 5 mg of mercury – a smidgen compared to other everyday items such as thermometers (500 mg), older thermostats (3,000 mg), and typical office lights (40 mg).

Should a bulb break, take these simple precautions. If a CFL breaks, first open nearby windows to disperse any vapor that may escape. Then sweep it up instead of vacuuming it to minimize vaporizing the mercury (that's when it becomes toxic). Do not use your hands. Finally, wipe the area with a damp, disposable paper towel to pick up all glass fragments. Place all fragments in a sealed plastic bag
[and put the whole thing in a coffee can with a lid, then dump it].

This phase in (not a "ban" by the way) was signed off by President Bush. No men in black will be knocking at your door demanding you turn over all your old light bulbs...or else.

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Federal legislation
In December 2007, many of these state efforts became moot when the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light[8] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions (historically, less than 40 Watts or more than 150 Watts). Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, rough service bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, and plant lights.

By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective, which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exemptions from the Act include reflector flood, 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.[30]

Two more things:

I replaced every lamp in my house with a spiral bulb more than three years ago and have only had to replace one--over the stove--which stays on 24/7.

What are the odds of breaking a light bulb anyway? I've never broken one in my entire [long] life, even when I needed to change one in the middle of the night having been asleep for hours.

This is a non-issue. That is all.

I'd really prefer just to be able to buy them instead of hoarding a 50+ year supply.

Just sayin'.

They banned Freon R-12 almost 20 years ago but you can still buy it. Mexico or some other country will make them & get them in the USA somehow.

I replaced every lamp in my house with a spiral bulb more than three years ago and have only had to replace one--over the stove--which stays on 24/7.

What are the odds of breaking a light bulb anyway? I've never broken one in my entire [long] life, even when I needed to change one in the middle of the night having been asleep for hours.

Bully for you. You should have the choice to buy the spiral bulbs if they are what you prefer to use.

The rest of us should be equally free to buy non-toxic bulbs which don't require hazmat procedures in the unlikely event of a breakage.

So . . . pros and cons:

The advantages of CFLs, according to ENERGYSTAR®, include:

Provides the same amount of light as an ordinary bulb, but uses about 75 percent less energy (the ones I buy don't)

Generates approximately 75 percent less heat, cutting home cooling costs

Lasts up to 10 times longer than a standard incandescent bulb (Anywhere from 6,000 to 15,000 hours of use.)

Saves about $30 in energy costs over each bulb’s lifetime (I question this)

Allows for different color temperatures (color) for differing applications

Quality CFLs give off pleasing, wide-spread general light at reduced energy costs
compared to standard incandescent light bulbs.

The disadvantages of CFLs include:

A minute amount of mercury is included, which requiring careful clean-up and disposal
Low-end, low-price bulbs often flicker, and burn-out quickly

Higher initial cost than incandescent bulbs

Not all CFL bulbs are dimmable. Use CFLs labeled for dimming

Most photocells, motion sensors and electric timers are not designed to work with CFLs.

Always check with the manufacturer or check the box for compatibility

CFLs require a warm-up time before reaching full brightness. The time varies from a few seconds to minutes, depending on the manufacturer.

LED advantages include:

No mercury or other harmful elements are in a finished LED
Extremely low energy consumption (LEDs use 8 watts to produce 60 watts of light. A CFL uses 14)

LEDs last an estimated 25 to 30 years, or 50,000 hours

Contain no glass and are difficult to break

Excellent for rapid cycling, vibration, and hard-to-reach applications.

LED disadvantages include:

High cost, which will be recovered by long life and energy-savings, but it still deters many purchases.

LEDs are often more direction oriented in light output, which may be ideal for a recessed can, but not your reading lamp.

Sometimes an incandescent bulb will be the best option, but we're not going to have that choice.

Guess who the largest producer of CFL and LED lighting in the world is? General Electric who unfortunately will be manufacturing most of the product overseas in places like China and then importing it back to the United States. And who is Obama's recently appointed head of the President's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness? Jeff Immelt, CEO of GE.

Who is Obama's current Chief of Staff? William Daley who just happened to recently be on the executive committee for JP Morgan. Why does that matter to energy policy? Well, JP Morgan is applying a lot of external and internal strategies to raise energy prices by bringing about government-mandated reductions in greenhouse gas emissions including mandating the appliances, heating, and lighting that will be allowed and imposing high taxes on energy to force people to buy smaller houses and appliances, etc.

All you have to do is follow the money on some of this stuff and all sorts of red flags pop up.

This bill was signed under Bush. Oops.

I remember when CD Rom drives cost a thousand to 1,500 a pop. Now they cost 15 dollars. It will be the same with these bulbs. The current technology being phased out is a hundred years old. Sometimes you just have to drag Conservatives kicking and screaming into the world of "today".

I remember when CD Rom drives cost a thousand to 1,500 a pop. Now they cost 15 dollars. It will be the same with these bulbs. The current technology being phased out is a hundred years old. Sometimes you just have to drag Conservatives kicking and screaming into the world of "today".

You missed the part about losing the choice of what to buy.

Which part of the constitution allows individual rights to coprorations?

Which part allows the regulation of drugs both prescription and non prescription?

Which part allows prohibiting the marriage of gays?

Which part...

You noticed how they always go there when its convenient. lolololol

Last edited:

You missed the part about losing the choice of what to buy.

i want my mtv on beta?

Bully for you. You should have the choice to buy the spiral bulbs if they are what you prefer to use.

The rest of us should be equally free to buy non-toxic bulbs which don't require hazmat procedures in the unlikely event of a breakage.

Then stock up now, sweetheart. Again, nobody's going to arrest you.

SAY WHAAA??...

The new $50 Bulb will replace incandescent Bulbs that have now been Banned by our Government. The Ban takes effect starting in January 2012.

Wow. Should our Government really be banning products and forcing Citizens to purchase particular products? This seems very disturbing to me. How can this be allowed to go forward? I've actually read where these new Bulbs are actually pretty hazardous. You don't want one of these Bulbs breaking in your Home. But these will be the only Bulbs you'll be allowed to purchase starting next year. Banning the old Bulbs just looks like an awful abuse of Power to me. I'm just so baffled as to how our Government can be allowed such unchecked power. Many are suspecting GE is behind this whole thing. They do have a very close relationship with this President. GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt is now his "Jobs Czar." I'm very disappointed this is being allowed to move forward. But what say you all?

Buy Health Care it's good for you
Buy different light bulbs it's good for you.
We don't want you driving around so much,Gas hits all time high.
WH starts controlling what people eat....

Are we starting to see a pattern here folks?:lol:

And God forbid anyone need a natural light incandescent bulb....

from what i was told the other day at Home Depot Dave,the incandescents are not being banned ....its the wattage that is being regulated.....no more 100 Watters..(already like this in California)....besides from what i also picked up,the Curly Q ones are just about obsolete.....Halos and LED's will be taking over pretty soon.....

So . . . pros and cons:

The advantages of CFLs, according to ENERGYSTAR®, include:

Provides the same amount of light as an ordinary bulb, but uses about 75 percent less energy (the ones I buy don't)

Generates approximately 75 percent less heat, cutting home cooling costs

Lasts up to 10 times longer than a standard incandescent bulb (Anywhere from 6,000 to 15,000 hours of use.)

Saves about $30 in energy costs over each bulb’s lifetime (I question this)

Allows for different color temperatures (color) for differing applications

Quality CFLs give off pleasing, wide-spread general light at reduced energy costs
compared to standard incandescent light bulbs.

The disadvantages of CFLs include:

A minute amount of mercury is included, which requiring careful clean-up and disposal
Low-end, low-price bulbs often flicker, and burn-out quickly

Higher initial cost than incandescent bulbs

Not all CFL bulbs are dimmable. Use CFLs labeled for dimming

Most photocells, motion sensors and electric timers are not designed to work with CFLs.

Always check with the manufacturer or check the box for compatibility

CFLs require a warm-up time before reaching full brightness. The time varies from a few seconds to minutes, depending on the manufacturer.

LED advantages include:

No mercury or other harmful elements are in a finished LED
Extremely low energy consumption (LEDs use 8 watts to produce 60 watts of light. A CFL uses 14)

LEDs last an estimated 25 to 30 years, or 50,000 hours

Contain no glass and are difficult to break

Excellent for rapid cycling, vibration, and hard-to-reach applications.

LED disadvantages include:

High cost, which will be recovered by long life and energy-savings, but it still deters many purchases.

LEDs are often more direction oriented in light output, which may be ideal for a recessed can, but not your reading lamp.

Sometimes an incandescent bulb will be the best option, but we're not going to have that choice.

Guess who the largest producer of CFL and LED lighting in the world is? General Electric who unfortunately will be manufacturing most of the product overseas in places like China and then importing it back to the United States. And who is Obama's recently appointed head of the President's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness? Jeff Immelt, CEO of GE.

Who is Obama's current Chief of Staff? William Daley who just happened to recently be on the executive committee for JP Morgan. Why does that matter to energy policy? Well, JP Morgan is applying a lot of external and internal strategies to raise energy prices by bringing about government-mandated reductions in greenhouse gas emissions including mandating the appliances, heating, and lighting that will be allowed and imposing high taxes on energy to force people to buy smaller houses and appliances, etc.

All you have to do is follow the money on some of this stuff and all sorts of red flags pop up.

This bill was signed under Bush. Oops.

No oops. The Bush energy policy was only one of several of his policies that I heavily criticized or condemned at the time and that caused me to eagerly join the Tea Party movement that is focused on criticizing and condemning these excesses of Congress no matter who is President or who controls Congress. It is policies like this that cost Bush his conservative credentials for many of us who once supported him.

Unfortunately, he signed the law forged and embraced by the Democrat majority with the help of several RINOs and the Obama Administration is of course more than eager to embrace it, expand it, and use it to great advantage in his long range plan to control all the energy in the country through Cap & Trade.

I'd really prefer just to be able to buy them instead of hoarding a 50+ year supply.

Just sayin'.

That's the issue. It isn't whether one is a reasonable trade off for another or which we should prefer as environmentalists which I suspect most or all of us are.

But I resist having yet another choice and option taken away by the ever more powerful government that presumes to tell me what will and will not be manufactured and sold in this country, most especially when it presumes to replace a servicable, inexpensive, and popular product with one that may be less satisfactory, costs more, and is more hazardous.

And will people use more CFLs or LEDs in an effort to get the same quanity and quality of light? Already we're taking more than one smaller car to haul a group places when we all used to be able to fit into the larger vehicles we used to be able to buy.

Let us have choice and let the market decide what product we will buy.

SAY WHAAA??...

"Should our Government really be banning products and forcing citizens to purchase particular products?"

SEE: Obamacare.

Forum List

Back