Oprah pays a real cost for supporting Barack Obama

"Tain't but dat big"

A surprise: Oprah pays a real cost for supporting Barack Obama
4/9/08 from Andrew Malcolm

--
Writing at Politico.com, he suggests the aging empress of TV has paid a price for getting into the dirty business of politics with and for her man Barack. By August last year, a CBS poll found her favorable rating had plunged from 74% to 61%, still twice as good as the president but nearly a 20% drop.

--
But 10 days after the campaign media explosion her favorable rating had dropped further to 55% and her unfavorable ratings for the first time climbed to 1 in 3.

A December ABC/Washington Post poll of Democrats found 8% were persuaded by her Obama endorsement, 82% said it wouldn't matter either way and 10% said her recommendation had turned them off Obama.

Now, Panagopoulos has discovered an AOL TV popularity survey of 1.35 million Americans that found 46% said the daytime TV host who "made their day" was Ellen DeGeneres while only 19% chose Winfrey. Forty-seven percent said they'd like to have dinner with Ellen, while only 14% chose Oprah.

Apparently, neither Ellen nor Oprah were asked who they'd like to dine with.

Panagopoulos draws the conclusion that in these days of pervasive media, in reality, celebrity endorsements run the real risk of costing the celebrity more than they benefit the endorsee. So celebs may want to think twice before hitting the stump.

A surprise: Oprah pays a real cost for supporting Barack Obama - latimes.com

Oprah Winfrey Network lays off one-fifth of staff
March 19, 2012|Lynn Elber, AP Television Writer
Oprah Winfrey Network lays off one-fifth of staff - Boston.com

Well then, I have to admire Oprah's willingness to take the hit, in order to do something she believes in.
I also like that so may people find a woman who is married to another woman, to be the person who "makes their day". That's nice.

Huh?

How is it "my" money that hollywood stars are spending?
Actually, that was addressed at everyone. That's why I said, "By the way folks."

But to answer your question, if you go to the movies, you are putting money in the pockets of the people who make those movies. So if they spend that money to do good OR evil...you have enabled their activity.

That's why I haven't watched network TV in over 15 years. I haven't been to see but one movie in...well, I don't even remember how long. I THINK it was a Star Trek. A Shatner Star Trek!

The networks and those stars don't give a crap if I don't show up. But there are getting to be more and more people like me, which is why their ratings are in the dumper. And if these stars don't think crap like supporting Obama will hurt them...just ask the Dixie Chicks how it's going!

Huh?

How is it "my" money that hollywood stars are spending?
Actually, that was addressed at everyone. That's why I said, "By the way folks."

But to answer your question, if you go to the movies, you are putting money in the pockets of the people who make those movies. So if they spend that money to do good OR evil...you have enabled their activity.

That's why I haven't watched network TV in over 15 years. I haven't been to see but one movie in...well, I don't even remember how long. I THINK it was a Star Trek. A Shatner Star Trek!

The networks and those stars don't give a crap if I don't show up. But there are getting to be more and more people like me, which is why their ratings are in the dumper. And if these stars don't think crap like supporting Obama will hurt them...just ask the Dixie Chicks how it's going!

If you go to the movies now, you are likely putting money in China's pocket.

China firm buys AMC to form world's largest cinema chain - CNN.com

The selling of America!

Oprah is failing for a number of reasons. Not only her support of obama or, the way the obama's have ignored her since. Oprah was all about Oprah. She was the monthly cover girl on her own magazine, got her own network, has her own book club. No celebrity maintains that level of popularity for very long. Her star is fading. Since she has not diversified outside of herself, all of her enterprises are fading too.

Oprah is failing for a number of reasons. Not only her support of obama or, the way the obama's have ignored her since. Oprah was all about Oprah. She was the monthly cover girl on her own magazine, got her own network, has her own book club. No celebrity maintains that level of popularity for very long. Her star is fading. Since she has not diversified outside of herself, all of her enterprises are fading too.

That seems to make more sense than anything posted. You can't name a single star who stayed popular forever. Oprah was more popular than any talk show host in history - even my favorite, Johnny Carson. She had her time but like you say, every star eventually fades.

That seems to make more sense than anything posted. You can't name a single star who stayed popular forever. Oprah was more popular than any talk show host in history - even my favorite, Johnny Carson. She had her time but like you say, every star eventually fades.

That's not how it happened. :lol:

Day by day as Oprah jumped up on her couch and told us how she got Obama elected over and over ad nauseum despite stupid white viewers of her's INCLUDING the most bodacious moment with Brad Pitt where I swear the woman came live on TV, we started to turn her off one by one.

Day by day as Oprah jumped up on her couch and told us how she got Obama elected over and over ad nauseum despite stupid white viewers of her's INCLUDING the most bodacious moment with Brad Pitt where I swear the woman came live on TV, we started to turn her off one by one.

Okay I'll believe you. I leave FOX or CNN on at the office during the day so never saw an episode of Oprah. That sounds pretty egotistical. How surprising in a Diva...

Okay I'll believe you. I leave FOX or CNN on at the office during the day so never saw an episode of Oprah. That sounds pretty egotistical. How surprising in a Diva...

She truly shocked me. Oprah's a pro. I only ever saw her come this close to the edge before over burgers, lol, and she had to do a mea culpa in Texas.

And let me be very clear here. It's not the cheering on of those who voted for Obama. It's the slagging of those of us who supported the other side.

And O didn't get the message. CNN's not gotten the message. The Washington Posts not gotten the message.
MSNBC's not gotten the message.

When one depends on viewership to bring in revenue dollars, one of the worst things you can do is tell a viewer they're a dumb fuck. A dumb fuck on a continual basis. :lol:

We change the channel.

Last edited:

She truly shocked me. Oprah's a pro. I only ever saw her come this close to the edge before over burgers, lol, and she had to do a mea culpa in Texas.

And let me be very clear here. It's not the cheering on of those who voted for Obama. It's the slagging of those of us who supported the other side.

And CNN's not gotten the message. The Washington Posts not gotten the message.

When one depends on viewership to bring in revenue dollars, one of the worst things you can do is tell a viewer they're a dumb fuck. A dumb fuck on a continual basis. :lol:

We change the channel.

Well it's good to know that no one on FOX has ever referred to Liberals or Dems in a perjorative manner! And certainly NewsMax has never allowed such a thing! ;)

And CNN's not gotten the message. The Washington Posts not gotten the message.

We change the channel.

Well it's good to know that no one on FOX has ever referred to Liberals or Dems in a perjorative manner! And certainly NewsMax has never allowed such a thing! ;)

I beleive it is the constant demeaning of one's intellectual abilities combined with colloquial terms from the mensa stature of the likes of Chris Matthews ranting on about "rednecks" when he hadn't realized that half those "rednecks" voted for Obama.

Last edited:

You must admit though that Newsmax is far more reliable and far less partisan than the Washington Post.

I don't think it's fair to besmirch Newsmax by lumping them in with open DNC propaganda like the post.

You must admit though that Newsmax is far more reliable and far less partisan than the Washington Post.

I don't think it's fair to besmirch Newsmax by lumping them in with open DNC propaganda like the post.

Okay you're kidding, right? I'm not familiar with your leanings (sorry) so please tell me this is sarcasm.

Oprah and lower ratings for her cable channel, well I am not suprised, she changed her format and this is the presidents fault? You all need a real life.

People stopped looking at Oprah like she knew everything and started wondering why she was supporting Obama.

I think the way she snubbed Sarah Palin pretty much sealed the deal.

You see, they used to think she wasn't like the other......you know.......black people.

Turned out she was.

Last edited:
You do know Oprah made $165 million in 2011, down from $265 million in 2010, due to her ending her talk show and was #2 on Forbe's Celebrity 100 list, even though she earned 3 times the amount of the #1 J-Lo.

Oprah owns the Dr. Phil, Rachael Ray, Dr. OZ and Nate Bergis shows, along with OWN and the O magazine.

You do know Oprah made $165 million in 2011, down from $265 million in 2010, due to her ending her talk show and was #2 on Forbe's Celebrity 100 list, even though she earned 3 times the amount of the #1 J-Lo.

Oprah owns the Dr. Phil, Rachael Ray, Dr. OZ and Nate Bergis shows, along with OWN and the O magazine.

A few more years of Obama and people won't have the time or the money to watch lousy TV shows.

A few more years of Obama and people won't have the time or the money to watch lousy TV shows.

And yet movie viewership, tv viewership, book purchases and music downloads are all up. Just because you are broke doesn't mean the rest of the country is.

A scandal, with a side of pie

May 16, 2012|John Kass

The last thing President Barack Obama needs is a domestic crisis of gargantuan proportions, one that threatens to swallow up the NATO Chicago summit:

Michelle vs. Oprah: The catfight.

Does Michelle Obama really think Oprah Winfrey is too heavy to help in America's fight against obesity? Does Oprah really think Michelle doesn't want her "waddling around the White House"?

And did Michelle really sit with Oprah and talk endlessly about the delicious pies baked in the White House kitchen, teasing Oprah about the scrumptious flaky crusts, and then refuse to offer Oprah a slice?

I, for one, can't believe Michelle would be so cruel as to tease someone with thoughts of pie. But it's out there now. And the president has to deal with it.

The alleged feud between first lady Michelle Obama and talk show diva Oprah Winfrey is contained in Edward Klein's biography of the president, "The Amateur: Barack Obama in the White House," excerpted in the pages of the New York Post.

If it's in the Post, it must be true. No?

Michelle? Oprah? Sit down and have some pie. - Chicago Tribune

"I ate all da blueberry pie"​

And yet movie viewership, tv viewership, book purchases and music downloads are all up. Just because you are broke doesn't mean the rest of the country is.

There's difference between watching TV and watching movies.

It's pure escapism. People want to escape the realities of politics in this country. The hopelessness. The fact that they elected someone who not only doesn't know what to do but doesn't want to do anything to improve the economy. Instead he has his media paint a positive picture while censoring the bad news.

Pretty soon all of the crap this prick is trying to cover up is going to bite us in the ass and we'll be lucky to afford air-conditioning or even fucken electricity.

A 30 gal jug of R-22 used to cost $1 per pound. Now a jug of R-22 costs over $300. Most home HVAC systems take several pounds of R-22. All of them will have to be swapped out for 410a systems in the next 10 years or so, thanks to the EPA. 410a is almost as expensive as R-22 already and the price is going up. Pretty soon it will take over a thousand dollars just to charge your system. 410a also operates at much higher pressures, so leaks will start developing and more and more systems will have to be put in a vacuum and new Freon added to bring it back into full operation. The costs will go up. So say goodbye to air-conditioning.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back