'Open-air prison' in southern Mexico traps thousands of migrants

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The desperation here is palpable.

It fills the stifling air as migrants line up in the hot sun outside the National Migration Institute in hopes of receiving an interview, their children close at hand and their visa applications tucked under their arms in colorful protected sleeves so the papers won’t get ruined on the nights their families sleep outside in the rain.

It strains the voices of the asylum seekers protesting outside a news conference by Mexico’s president, as they chant demands for action before some sew their mouths shut in defiant, gruesome silence.

And it wells in the eyes of displaced Haitians – struggling to deal with a system entrenched in anti-Black racism – when they throw rocks and set fires on the streets to bring attention to their plight.

These moments unfold day after day in Tapachula, a city of about 350,000 near the border of Guatemala that has long served as a waystation for migrants spurred north by political turmoil, gang violence, discrimination and poor economic prospects in their countries of origin.

I agree with the advice: Don't come.

So all the scum who encouraged them should be levied to feed them. That would be all registered Democrats, Greens, LA Raza activists, etc., and every employer who has hired criminal illegal aliens.

The title is misleading ... these thousands of migrants aren't "trapped" . They simply aren't allowed to move North.

There are many remaining points of the compass towards which they may move.
There is that. They just can't get to their destination.

There is that. They just can't get to their destination.

Perhaps their choice of destination wasn't achievable in the first place?

I would love to visit Shangri-La someday ... but, it just doesn't exist.

Perhaps their choice of destination wasn't achievable in the first place?

I would love to visit Shangri-La someday ... but, it just doesn't exist.
One would hope it's not achievable.

Forum List

Back