CDZ Once again, Trump shows us he has no regard for even his own tenets - SCOTUS

I get it but he is going to be the nominee unless the RNC changes the rules at convention. Which, they wont BTW. I don't see what the problem is.
Also, considering SC picks are a hot button issue right now......

Nominees don't appoint judges.
REALLY? HOLY COW MAN!

Why not just man up and admit the error that you made? Trump is premature.
What error? Did I say nominees appointed SC Jsutices?
People want to know man.

Couple things. Cruz had absolutely no path to the nomination when he announced Fiorina as his VP. With Trump, he is now the presumptive nominee and has promised his supporters and other conservatives that he would be releasing this list. Unlike Cruz he's going to wait until the convention to reveal his VP.

He made due on his promise (to release the list) and a lot of conservatives that were on the fence should now come forth and endorse/support him.

Couple things. Cruz had absolutely no path to the nomination when he announced Fiorina as his VP. With Trump, he is now the presumptive nominee and has promised his supporters and other conservatives that he would be releasing this list. Unlike Cruz he's going to wait until the convention to reveal his VP.

He made due on his promise (to release the list) and a lot of conservatives that were on the fence should now come forth and endorse/support him.

The only thing he needs to release right now are his tax returns. :)

I'm convinced that Trump is as shocked as any other American about where he is right now. We missed his point when he said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not go down in the polls. He was calling his supporters idiots. And he proved it when he made that statement, and they all applauded (and continue to do so).

As for his list of nominees, I think it might be Trump's way of answering his critics who claim he offers no substance. "Here's some substance! Actual smart people who do smart things that I'll associate myself with in a press release!" And, once again, Trump clones will slop it up like pigs in a trough.

I'm convinced that Trump is as shocked as any other American about where he is right now. We missed his point when he said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not go down in the polls. He was calling his supporters idiots. And he proved it when he made that statement, and they all applauded (and continue to do so).

As for his list of nominees, I think it might be Trump's way of answering his critics who claim he offers no substance. "Here's some substance! Actual smart people who do smart things that I'll associate myself with in a press release!" And, once again, Trump clones will slop it up like pigs in a trough.

Ah. "Glory by association." Of course the glaring speciousness of that line of thought, assuming folks actually think that way, is that the substance still isn't Trump's, but rather that of the folks he'd consider nominating.

Indeed, in simply coming up with his list of potential jurists, no substance at all was needed. A cursory look at some of the most conservative decisions and who made them is all that was needed. Moreover, doing even that -- something easily achieved via Google -- probably isn't anything Trump himself did. I doubt he ever heard any of those jurists' names before a staffer presented the list to him. I doubt even now that the knows a damn thing about each of them other than that they passed the muster of someone who, unlike him, truly is a conservative.

Last edited:
I am increasingly convinced Trump genuinely thinks the American people are "dumber than is a midsummer day is long."

Not long ago Ted Cruz announced Carly Fiorina as his VP running mate. Today Trump announced a list of folks he'd consider as SCOTUS nominees. The premise of the message of both actions is clear: this person/these people are the only with whom I find favor; vote for me because of my approbation of them.

Okay. Fine. Now what was Trump's comment when Mr. Cruz announced Ms. Fiorina? Essentially he responded with remarks about how doing so was premature and a diversion because Mr. Cruz had not yet won anything that indicated the announcement would ever come to fruition. Well, Trump is in exactly the same position re: the Presidential election, yet the same rationale, a line of argument Trump presented, apparently doesn't apply. Say what? Puh-lease!

This is just another illustration of the fact that Trump has zero principles and will opportunistically say anything. It simply doesn't matter if a principle he advanced last month is diametrically the opposite of one he's tacitly advancing on his own behalf now. Can people truly not see as much? Just how deaf, dumb or blind need one be not to notice it?
I am increasingly convinced Trump genuinely thinks the American people are "dumber than is a midsummer day is long."
Wow, The Donald and I have something in common! Do you think they're smart? Why?

Right now Donald Trump will be the next president. I am beginning to adjust to that prospect, though I have made no peace with the notion, nor do I have any idea what this will mean for us. There's a new national poll which shows Trump is winning. Hillary is the worst Democrat candidate in my lifetime. Both are New York candidates, and as a lifelong New Yorker I can tell you that the contempt for both of the Presidential candidates in their home (assuming Bernie doesn't convince the Dems that Hillary is toxic waste dump of a candidate) is absolute. We're going to have a trash-off, and the candidate that is the least disgusting choice will prevail.

It is nothing short of astonishing that the American people have reached the conclusion that the political parties are bad. They're right! The coup in the Republican party is entirely a grass roots movement. They would have nothing to do with the establishment in this election cycle. In 2008 they did an amazing dance, turning from Mitt to an astounding array of idiots, Michelle Bachman, Herman Cain, Rick Perry, only to turn back to Mitt when the complete inadequacy of these alternatives revealed itself (9-9-9!). This time around, faced with the prospect of a Bush being shoved down their throats, they said no, in a very loud and unified voice. That much they could figure out, but otherwise this is a clueless revolution, with an ignorant, gross clown at its head. Angels and ministers of grace defend us!

Funny thing is, Donald Trump has had about a dozen of Herman Cain's "Libya, let's see, Libya...hmmmm" moments but he's just so good at bullshitting his way through his own ignorance that the waterheads don't notice.

Not long ago Ted Cruz announced Carly Fiorina as his VP running mate. Today Trump announced a list of folks he'd consider as SCOTUS nominees. The premise of the message of both actions is clear: this person/these people are the only with whom I find favor; vote for me because of my approbation of them.

Okay. Fine. Now what was Trump's comment when Mr. Cruz announced Ms. Fiorina? Essentially he responded with remarks about how doing so was premature and a diversion because Mr. Cruz had not yet won anything that indicated the announcement would ever come to fruition. Well, Trump is in exactly the same position re: the Presidential election, yet the same rationale, a line of argument Trump presented, apparently doesn't apply. Say what? Puh-lease!

This is just another illustration of the fact that Trump has zero principles and will opportunistically say anything. It simply doesn't matter if a principle he advanced last month is diametrically the opposite of one he's tacitly advancing on his own behalf now. Can people truly not see as much? Just how deaf, dumb or blind need one be not to notice it?
As much as I disapprove of Trump, he does actually have a reason for unveiling SCOTUS picks. Many Republicans have managed to get behind him as the candidate using the argument that as a Republican, he will appoint more conservative judges than if Hillary gets into the WH. They're grasping for twigs as they fall from the tree, but hey, they have to find SOME way to justify the guy. So Trump is obliging them and using it as a selling point.

But see that's the thing. Those of us with half the sense God gave a goose are thus supposed to endure four years, maybe eight, of a Trump Presidency just to get a SCOTUS appointment? Those of us who, unlike Suzy, have more than "one note" on our instrument, realize that no Court decision can bring the nation to its knees, but there's plenty a nut-job narcissist numbskull in the White House can literally do that can, and can in numerous ways. That some woman's baby whom I will never know gets born rather than not being born, say, just doesn't bring me any comfort in view of that having been what I'd receive in exchange for installing in the Presidency a hot headed, ego maniacal, belligerent and bellicose buffoon whom I cannot trust and who will have his hand on "the button."

I may be crazy, but that just does not work for me. I just do not see how I come out ahead in that deal. Hell, screw "coming out ahead." I don't see how I break even in that trade.
So you realize I agree with you there, right? Although I see why the SCOTUS picks are important, I also see that the justices tend to come to their decisions based on careful interpretation of the law rather than on their politics. SCOTUS, in its very conception, is supposed to be apolitical. Our out of bounds political parties have turned it into the battle ground it is right now. Very disappointing. Our founding fathers are turning in their graves.

I have never understood why politicians release their tax returns. Whats the point?

I have never understood why politicians release their tax returns. Whats the point?

Ever heard the phrase "follow the money"?

Ever heard the phrase "follow the money"?

That works, though " putting one's money where one's mouth is" is the axiom I had in mind.

So you realize I agree with you there, right?

Yes. I know that. I was amplifying, not contradicting.

I should have begun that post with "and" instead of "but." I can see how the conjunction I chose created confusion. Sorry.
So back to your mission. Can you think of anything we could discover about Trump that would stop his cult following or at least make them think, soberly, of what they are doing? Since the Washington Post announced its Team of 20 to dig up dirt on Trump, I've been trying to imagine what they could possibly find that would have any effect whatever.

It's customary, and has been for a long time. Why should it stop with Trump? Wouldn't you demand to see Hillary's taxes? Of course you would.

It's part of the vetting process for us to see who we're voting for. Trump stated that he would release his taxes, he also demanded that Romney release his taxes. Don't you want to know if he's a liar? (I'm guessing you don't want to know)

Second, the leak of the Panama Papers, the deluge of documents detailing the offshore accounts of various foreign leaders and their relatives, underscored the value of disclosing financial information, and the wisdom of a norm in which elected officials release their tax filings as a prudent matter of course — not in the midst of a political firestorm.

Every presidential candidate should release full tax returns

It's customary, and has been for a long time. Why should it stop with Trump? Wouldn't you demand to see Hillary's taxes? Of course you would.

It's part of the vetting process for us to see who we're voting for. Trump stated that he would release his taxes, he also demanded that Romney release his taxes. Don't you want to know if he's a liar? (I'm guessing you don't want to know)

Second, the leak of the Panama Papers, the deluge of documents detailing the offshore accounts of various foreign leaders and their relatives, underscored the value of disclosing financial information, and the wisdom of a norm in which elected officials release their tax filings as a prudent matter of course — not in the midst of a political firestorm.

I get that is has been tradition for a few decades, my question was why
People seem to focus on their rate. However, idk why people think politicians are going to treat their taxes different from the rest of America.
And I don't give a crap about cankles taxes.

People seem to focus on their rate. However, idk why people think politicians are going to treat their taxes different from the rest of America.

You don't care about her taxes because she's not refusing to release them.

Roberton Williams, the Sol Price fellow at the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, told us that there are three things we could learn from Trump’s tax returns: details about where he gets his income and how much it is; “how he’s structuring his income for tax purposes”; and what kind of deductions he takes, including charitable giving. If Trump had overseas income or foreign bank accounts, for instance, that information would be on his tax return.

Trump’s Tax Returns

Me personally, think it should be mandatory for them to release 10 yrs of tax returns

Roberton Williams, the Sol Price fellow at the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, told us that there are three things we could learn from Trump’s tax returns: details about where he gets his income and how much it is; “how he’s structuring his income for tax purposes”; and what kind of deductions he takes, including charitable giving. If Trump had overseas income or foreign bank accounts, for instance, that information would be on his tax return.

Trump’s Tax Returns

Me personally, think it should be mandatory for them to release 10 yrs of tax returns
No, I just don't give a damn. I really don't understand why you cant grasp that.

Trump reminds of every day, in every way, that he is richer than god, and then tells us that his taxes are none of our business.

Trump is absolute proof that nobody every went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the average American citizen.

Trump’s Tax Returns

No, I just don't give a damn. I really don't understand why you cant grasp that.

You must care some, or you wouldn't be asking me to explain it to you.

Trump’s Tax Returns

So we know you don't like Hillary's cankles.

What about Trump's rug, or his tiny hands?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what sort of criteria you use to judge the qualifications of a candidate.

Forum List

Back