CDZ The Abandonment of Civility

Elvis Obama

VIP Member
Nov 2, 2015
The American people appear to have decided that civility is irrelevant.

Why Paul Ryan's Ode To Civility Is A Giant Fail

Are we abandoning diplomacy, both nationally and globally? Is the kind of ad hominem attacks which constitute 99% of the so-called discussion on this board becoming the norm of human communication?

Civility means behavior which reflects the values of civilization. How can we abandon these values so casually? These norms have evolved over thousands of years of human experiments in building and living in cities. Isn't their value obvious? Is the abandonment of civility likely to make the world a more violent or less violent place?

Political correctness has replaced politenes..

politeness relyied on an innate consderation.

political correctness, is rule based and judaic. You can be litigious and be a c*nt.

Manners rock, kids.

We are born charming, fresh and spontaneous and must be civilized before we are fit to participate in society.
― Judith Martin​

I think too few folks these days appreciate the importance of civility. Moreover, too few appreciate the privileges that accompany it, but then they wouldn't if they've never learned what it means to lose them.

To this day I recall Daddy's instructions the evening after I'd made an unruly outburst at school. I was a sixth grader.

I was in my room doing homework when Daddy knocked gently on my door, opened it, greeted me, came in, sat down, and began speaking in the softest tone and most tersely measured drawl I've heard from him before or since.

"You will leave this room only to go to school during the next month. Louise will deliver your meals and return thirty minutes later to collect the dishes which you will have set outside your door for her to collect. Do not leave food on your plate, and do not make her knock."

He then presented an alarm clock he'd brought with him and showed me how to set it.

"Helen will be up directly to show you how to make your bed and to leave fresh linens. You will wake on time to go to school in time to bathe, eat and make your bed everyday. You will change the linens every third morning and place the used ones outside your door. Do you have enough toilet paper to last the month?"

"Yes, sir," I replied after going to the restroom to check.

"A driver will take you to and from school. Upon your return to school Monday, you will apologize contritely to your teacher and classmates for your surly misbehavior. Do not allow me to discover you failed to do so."

"During the next month you will study your classwork, and you will read this book, after which you will religiously comport yourself accordingly."

With that he tossed a wrapped book, Emily Post's Etiquette, onto my desk, and then continued.

"You will henceforth nevah publicly embarrass your mother or me. Have you anything you care to ask or say to your mother or me before your sequester commences?"

I apologized to him asked him if I might do so with Mother. He told me she'd be up shortly to receive my apology. With that he gently closed the door and left.

The gardner showed up next and removed my stereo and television. Then the housekeeper appeared with linens and showed me how to make my bed and deposited two other sets on the and took the dogs' beds from my room. She told me she'd leave a week's fresh linens on my desk as needed.

Mother appeared not long after and I apologized to her. That was the last I saw or spoke with either of my parents, the housekeeper, the cat, the dogs, the gardener and cook for a month.

Each school day I'd go downstairs to get in the cab knowing there had to be at least three people, two dogs, and a cat somewhere, yet there was not a soul to be seen or heard in the house. The driver wouldn't even talk to me other than to, on the my first attempt to engage him, tell me he'd been told I was to be silent and so was he.

On the Monday when I first returned to school, I was grateful to be there for at least I got to see other people whom I knew. Much to my dismay, Daddy's anger with and authority over me reached even there. He'd somehow managed to have my seat moved to the back of every class and set in a row unto itself. Also,I was forbad going to recess.

That was the most miserable month of my life. I neverafter lost control of myself until I was well into adulthood.
I think there remain a few communities in which shunning is still practiced. IMO, there need to be more. I think it'd do folks good to learn firsthand how Hester Prynne felt. Maybe then they'd appreciate the benefits of cordiality and the privilege of being permitted to interact with others. Too many folks take for granted and assume that the rest of us have to deal with them. In nearly all cases, we do not. It's pitiful that so many in our nation, most ironically the "social media" crowd who often behave in among the most antisocial ways conceivable, have forgotten that nothing forces our cultural approbation of boors, curs, cads and cretins.

I love luxury. Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. Luxury lies not in richness and ornateness, but in the absence of vulgarity.
― Coco Chanel​

Last edited:

Are we abandoning diplomacy, both nationally and globally? Is the kind of ad hominem attacks which constitute 99% of the so-called discussion on this board becoming the norm of human communication?

Civility means behavior which reflects the values of civilization. How can we abandon these values so casually? These norms have evolved over thousands of years of human experiments in building and living in cities. Isn't their value obvious? Is the abandonment of civility likely to make the world a more violent or less violent place?

You only need look at a forum like this to see how much civility doesn't matter to people any more. Every 3rd post or less contains personal attacks and insult.

'Reality TV' (an oxymoron if ever there was) has contributed immensely to the idea that being aggressively obnoxious and anti-intellectual is not only the norm, but the best approach.

You only need look at a forum like this to see how much civility doesn't matter to people any more. Every 3rd post or less contains personal attacks and insult.

Appearances given by anecdotal observations of USMB and other public forum posts notwithstanding, there is a segment of society for which gentility does matter and is routinely practiced. It's an increasingly small segment yet an extant one all the same. The question is whether it'll go extinct.

The grotesque obsession with materialism is as vulgar as is possible (see Coco Chanel quotation above).

Appearances given by anecdotal observations of USMB and other public forum posts notwithstanding, there is a segment of society for which gentility does matter and is routinely practiced. It's an increasingly small segment yet an extant one all the same. The question is whether it'll go extinct.

I doubt it, there'll always be people who want to civil to others. But then again it just looks like society is falling deeper everywhere you look.

We can exclude total extinction; intelligence dictates a modicum of self respect and, therefore, respect for others.
One serious menace to civility is the constant knee-jerk resorting to the dualistic 'left-right' rhetoric such as has just been interjected above (post #7).

Last edited:
'Reality TV' (an oxymoron if ever there was) has contributed immensely to the idea that being aggressively obnoxious and anti-intellectual is not only the norm, but the best approach.

Yes. What goes on in others' lives that is so captivating that one should have a reason to care, let alone watch it transpire? I mean really. The human condition just isn't that unique.

Red:
My idea of reality TV is news, game shows, talk shows, and talent contests. The appeal and entertainment value of watching a bunch of folks whom I do not know personally go about their lives, or parts of it, escapes me. I have a life of my own. In it, I do or did much the same things I suspect reality tv cast members do. Doesn't everyone?

The virtues of reality TV are not the only things that have passed me by. For example, I await the day when an erudite observer shares with me the thing that catalyzed America's transformation into a culture that, among other things, openly admits to a feverish interest in the comparative status-conveying qualities of dungarees and sneakers.

The grotesque obsession with materialism is as vulgar as is possible (see Coco Chanel quotation above).

Off Topic:
BTW, the "pre-Gates" embodiment of Dante is among my favorite pieces, and it apparently captures your imagination as well. Of that work, the sculptor once remarked, "He is no longer dreamer, he is creator." That pithy idea is, for me, what it means to be human. We are the creators, and it is only through thought that we are and become thus. That the artist had initially intended the figure to represent Dante in The Gates is surprising, particularly in comparing the stark simplicity of The Thinker with the visual verbosity of The Gates of Hell. Mind you, I like The Gates too. It's just that there's a lot going on in that piece; it can be a bit overwhelming to ponder.

The argument can be made that in order for civility to be warranted, those seeking civility should merit it – where bigots, racists, and other purveyors of hate have indeed failed to do so.

I would only disagree with the notion that we've abandoned the values casually. This seems like it has been a process.

It appears that fundamental civility has dropped in priority beneath "winning" and finger-pointing. Post 15 on this thread illustrates this, essentially saying "I will be the judge of those who deserve my civility". Once that division is made, civility breaks down because we are lowering our standards.

We can't fix any problems when we can't rise above petty differences and communicate. We can't communicate if we're only civil to those with whom we agree. Those who play this game are a big part of the problem.

Political correctness has replaced politenes..

politeness relyied on an innate consderation.

political correctness, is rule based and judaic. You can be litigious and be a c*nt.

Manners rock, kids.
Disagree.

There is no such thing as ‘political correctness’; in fact, hate speech and speech advocating for bigotry and racism are entitled to Constitutional protections.

There exists nowhere in the United States a regulatory measure ‘controlling’ the ‘appropriateness’ of speech, and there are no ‘punitive measures’ authorized by any jurisdiction for speech considered to be ‘politically incorrect.’

Yeah. It's a reflection of our culture - what we choose to entertain us is a reflection of ourselves, and that kind of behavior is clearly connecting with more and more people.

Forum List

Back