On the Meirs Selection and Avoiding 'Elitism'

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Why is being educated a handicap, especially when one is criticising a nomination? Of ones own party? Is it wrong to say they just do not have the gravitas for the position? I hope I'm wrong, really.

PC has gone too far, when a person that has given over 1000 hours of volunteer time, must qualify statements criticising the party for selling out. GW was not willing to fight with Senate, a fight he KNEW he'd win, but would take time.

I could chase down the links, but why? When the professor does so? Obviously there are mega links:

http://instapundit.com/archives/025968.php
October 04, 2005

THE NEW EDITOR, referencing my first reaction on Miers, says that it is "underwhelmed" with the blogosphere's response to the nomination. It's hard to see why. Things were quite different when Roberts was nominated, and the blogosphere hasn't changed significantly in those few weeks. The difference in the reaction has to do with the nominee.

Bush raised the bar with Roberts, and then, having set the stage brilliantly for a McConnell, gave us a non-McConnell. Miers might turn out to be a great Justice, of course, but at the moment there's absolutely no reason to expect that. Hope, maybe, but not expect. This isn't the blogosphere's fault, but the Administration's.

UPDATE: Bill Stuntz thinks that Bush is channeling Truman.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Robert Musil is comparing Miers to Byron White and Robert Jackson. I find these comparisons less than fully convincing.

MORE: A somewhat more persuasive defense from Thomas Lifson. But the Bush Administration should have seen this reception coming. Perhaps it did, and for whatever reason didn't care.

STILL MORE: A response to Lifson, from Paul Mirengoff.
posted at 12:03 PM by Glenn Reynolds

Kathianne said:
Why is being educated a handicap, especially when one is criticising a nomination? Of ones own party? Is it wrong to say they just do not have the gravitas for the position? I hope I'm wrong, really.

The number one biggest threat to America doesn't come from the outside, but the inside. It's anti-intellectualism, which is a pandemic reaching across all racial, class, political, religious and geographic boundaries in this country. Never show anybody you are educated. It's verboten.

Nuc said:
The number one biggest threat to America doesn't come from the outside, but the inside. It's anti-intellectualism, which is a pandemic reaching across all racial, class, political, religious and geographic boundaries in this country. Never show anybody you are educated. It's verboten.

Many times it's not intellectualism that is the turn off, it's the political myopia of those in power in what are considered the citadels of intellectualism, universities. Of course, intellectualism is going on all around us all the time, in the tiny conversations here and there in daily in life where we analyze events and discuss them with others in our world, or in the 9 or so hours one might spend on the internet.

Forum List

Back