On the fiscal cliff, Republicans are so screwed

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see how Republicans have anything but bad options regarding the fiscal cliff. At least, not in the short term.
Even if Republicans negotiate the best bipartisan deal possible (something akin to the Corker plan), anyone who votes for it would be accused of selling out.

This would cause the base to either become demoralized or (more likely) angry — angry enough to primary the “read my lips” traitors. Either way, it’s not a good thing.

On the other hand, if no deal is reached, Republicans will surely be blamed (this is always a safe assumption and a smart default position — for a variety of reasons.)

This hasn’t stopped some conservative pundits from acting as if Republicans hold all the cards. But the notion that Republicans have leverage is silly. It’s the same kind of happy thinking that led some to boldly predict a Romney victory.

Look at it from Obama’s perspective. Would allowing the sequestration cuts to kick in be that bad? It would allow him to cut the U.S. military (and blame Republicans), make some much-needed spending cuts (without taking heat from his base), and — as a bonus – raise taxes!

*snip*

Republicans are so screwed.

This is from thedailycaller.com, Fucker Carlson's online wingnut-fest. It was written by Matt K. Lewis:

mlewis-717718814-icon.jpg
, ubiquitous wingnut mouthpiece.

Actually, it's the country that's screwed.

No it's not.

The cuts in defense will prove once and for all that government spending creates jobs. And to the very people that say it doesn't.

I am really hoping this happens.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see how Republicans have anything but bad options regarding the fiscal cliff. At least, not in the short term.
Even if Republicans negotiate the best bipartisan deal possible (something akin to the Corker plan), anyone who votes for it would be accused of selling out.

This would cause the base to either become demoralized or (more likely) angry — angry enough to primary the “read my lips” traitors. Either way, it’s not a good thing.

On the other hand, if no deal is reached, Republicans will surely be blamed (this is always a safe assumption and a smart default position — for a variety of reasons.)

This hasn’t stopped some conservative pundits from acting as if Republicans hold all the cards. But the notion that Republicans have leverage is silly. It’s the same kind of happy thinking that led some to boldly predict a Romney victory.

Look at it from Obama’s perspective. Would allowing the sequestration cuts to kick in be that bad? It would allow him to cut the U.S. military (and blame Republicans), make some much-needed spending cuts (without taking heat from his base), and — as a bonus – raise taxes!

*snip*

This is from thedailycaller.com, Fucker Carlson's online wingnut-fest. It was written by Matt K. Lewis:

No it's not.

The cuts in defense will prove once and for all that government spending creates jobs. And to the very people that say it doesn't.

Er, so Obamas spending is creating jobs now, really?

Polls show, if we go off the cliff, America will blame the GOP, and I think they will have sunk themselves for 2014.

The GOP hasn't learned from history. Like the two gov't shutdowns that were blamed on Gingrich and the GOP back when Clinton was president. And like the debt ceiling debacle from last year. They're just going to do it again.

Too bad some on this board do not see it that way or a least admit it, I am currently enjoying the greatest gift of partisan schadenfreude I have had since 2006. It is pretty rare that a party can outmaneuver themselves so completely, in this I give no credit to democrats for being better, only less suicidal in their goals.

Clearly when republicans agreed to this ‘cliff’ budget scheme, they believed by 2013 they’d have control of the Senate and a republican in the WH.

*snip*

No it's not.

come on sallow, THE MILITARY is the one thing this government is SUPPOSE to spend on.

Too bad some on this board do not see it that way or a least admit it, I am currently enjoying the greatest gift of partisan schadenfreude I have had since 2006. It is pretty rare that a party can outmaneuver themselves so completely, in this I give no credit to democrats for being better, only less suicidal in their goals.

Well, a few haven't even admitted that Obama won. So don't wait for a miracle...:clap2:

Clearly when republicans agreed to this ‘cliff’ budget scheme, they believed by 2013 they’d have control of the Senate and a republican in the WH.

so? whose idea was it anyway? not that it matters.:rolleyes:

in any event- obamas offer wasn't serious. no details, no nothing but a doubling of demands to 1.6 trillion, entitlement cuts 'to be named later', a free hand on the debt ceiling and, more spending.

Polls show, if we go off the cliff, America will blame the GOP, and I think they will have sunk themselves for 2014.

We need to go off the cliff. Really we do. The democrats need about 12 more years to get us to the bottom. Let's give it to em.

So far, all you conservatives have been saying the Republicans should do nothing and let the country fall to it's knees, just to show the Dems.

Yet another reason why you lost the election.

The GOP hasn't learned from history. Like the two gov't shutdowns that were blamed on Gingrich and the GOP back when Clinton was president. And like the debt ceiling debacle from last year. They're just going to do it again.

This time I hope Obama tells them to kiss his ass and simply invoke the 14th Amendment.

That's exactly what they were counting on, because they thought that with enough money, and enough squawking about how bad the economy is, Obama would be a one term President.

Unfortunately, people actually looked at what the economy was doing, that jobs were coming back to America, and that the stock market had doubled since he took office.

They also listened to what Mittens and Lyin' Ryan wanted to do with their tax plan, and after the past 10 years, they saw it was pretty much bullshit.

If the Republicans continue to block like they have over the past 2 years, come 2014, there's gonna be a whole lot more Dems in both the House and the Senate, and Obama is still gonna be prez.

And yeah...............everyone knows that the Reps were very much in favor of kicking the can down the road until after the elections. Now? It's been kicked too far, and if they keep blocking, they're gonna go the way of the Whigs.

Well, a few haven't even admitted that Obama won. So don't wait for a miracle...:clap2:

LOL....well Fox News told them it was close:

Obama.......................332
Romulus.....................206

Last edited:
If it's really a Fiscal Cliff (!!!) why haven't Obama and Reid bothered to even pass a budget?

Tell the Dems fo Get Fluked...Fluke Off and Grow the Fluke up

So far, all you conservatives have been saying the Republicans should do nothing and let the country fall to it's knees, just to show the Dems.

That is the silliest Leftytoon thing I heard all day. You guys are whining that the Republicans are keeping you from passig a budget. If they step aside and vote present whatever gets passed would be 100% Dem. Yet somehow if America implodes as a result it is their fault.:badgrin:

Forum List

Back