Old cars suck | Change my mind

Pure junk as are all English made cars. They were junk long before Americans began making junk. Now there are no English car companies of any note remaining. The same route American brands are following. Today Chrysler brands are actually Fiat and that is truly lame. A note of ironey is that previous English brands are now either German or funnier still Indian owned. How's that for revenge?

Well I managed to keep the three MG's I had running in the 70's and 80's (SU downdraft carbs). The Land Rovers had/have their reliability problems and one reason I went with a new Jeep over a used D90, but I wouldn't call them "junk".

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

LOL you bring welding equipment with you or you light a flare like MacGyver

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.
I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed
You have no idea what you're talking about. Absolutely none. Let's start with the simple fact that 80 - 90% of the rigs on rock crawling trails are either Jeeps or Toyotas with a sprinkling of old Scouts and Broncos. Nissans are indeed rare.

I'll take my GT40 MkI over a modern car any day of the week
A 2019 Ford GT is simply a better looking/performing version of that car, but i do love GT40s.

ford-gt-carbon-series-1.jpg

ford-gt_100676780.jpg

Yep. I like the 2005 version as well. But mine has history, and it sounds better than the new ones.

Well I managed to keep the three MG's I had running in the 70's and 80's (SU downdraft carbs). The Land Rovers had/have their reliability problems and one reason I went with a new Jeep over a used D90, but I wouldn't call them "junk".

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

LOL you bring welding equipment with you or you light a flare like MacGyver

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.
I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed
You have no idea what you're talking about. Absolutely none. Let's start with the simple fact that 80 - 90% of the rigs on rock crawling trails are either Jeeps or Toyotas with a sprinkling of old Scouts and Broncos. Nissans are indeed rare.
Because a jeep is a piece of shit that no one cares if they lose it.

Now on to the reality, if you are rock climbing and lose a rod you lose steering and control, this can and has been life ending. If you took a vehicle with substandard rods that you expected to break or had been previously welded you need a mental exam.

But you will never know because you think the company that went bankrupt TWICE makes quality vehicles. I used to be a Chevy guy but frankly GM has dropped in quality more than any other company. I will never buy another Nissan since they have merged with Mitsubishit.

The Chrysler flagship blows up
FCA investigates Dodge Demon differential failures at drag strip [Video] - LeftLaneNews

The Land Rover D90 Defender is one of my favorite vehicles. I almost bought a used one in 2003, after they stopped being imported. It was $30K, and since I wanted a daily driver, I passed and bought a new Jeep Wrangler TJ for $20K which I still have as a weekend vehicle. They are getting huge bucks today.

Pure junk as are all English made cars. They were junk long before Americans began making junk. Now there are no English car companies of any note remaining. The same route American brands are following. Today Chrysler brands are actually Fiat and that is truly lame. A note of ironey is that previous English brands are now either German or funnier still Indian owned. How's that for revenge?

Well mine is a 2003 TJ Jeep Wrangler with 206,000 miles on it. Half its life was spent in the Colorado Rockies, and doubled as a daily driver and weekend rock crawler. No tie rods broke, and only normal maintenance required. I did replace one water pump. Yes, anecdotal, but my experience, and it's still running strong with the same clutch.

Unless it's really built, I bet I could take that thing to a trail not thirty minutes from my house and it would be broken inside of a morning or afternoons wheeling. If it's stock, it wouldn't last an hour.
Rattletrap is the best rock crawler | Change my mind

I'll take my GT40 MkI over a modern car any day of the week
A 2019 Ford GT is simply a better looking/performing version of that car, but i do love GT40s.

ford-gt-carbon-series-1.jpg

ford-gt_100676780.jpg

Yep. I like the 2005 version as well. But mine has history, and it sounds better than the new ones.
You own a GT40? Consider me impressed!

Yup. It placed in the top three at Sebring one year and won a couple of smaller races.

Unfortunately or fortunately (whichever way you look at it) I hate, hate, hate most of the 70s and 80s cars, think they are the ugliest pieces of junk Detroit ever put out.

With few exceptions (Trans Am) they were ugly, poorly made cars

Lazy ass Union workers, who thought their gravy train would last forever?

I agree.

Union workers did not design the cars, they did not buy the parts, they did not set quality standards

It took a combination of commie auto unions and inbreed, clueless management to kill Detroit and they did a through job of it. Teamwork!

You are both wrong.

It isn't the workers, it isn't the management.

Well, it is not entirely one or the other.

BOTH use GOBERMENT.

It was, in the final analysis, THE MAN, that destroyed the industry. It is primarily GOVERNMENT that did in the industry, and still meddles with the free market. It does it to death.

Another stupid Prager U propaganda video

The Land Rover D90 Defender is one of my favorite vehicles. I almost bought a used one in 2003, after they stopped being imported. It was $30K, and since I wanted a daily driver, I passed and bought a new Jeep Wrangler TJ for $20K which I still have as a weekend vehicle. They are getting huge bucks today.

Well mine is a 2003 TJ Jeep Wrangler with 206,000 miles on it. Half its life was spent in the Colorado Rockies, and doubled as a daily driver and weekend rock crawler. No tie rods broke, and only normal maintenance required. I did replace one water pump. Yes, anecdotal, but my experience, and it's still running strong with the same clutch.

Unless it's really built, I bet I could take that thing to a trail not thirty minutes from my house and it would be broken inside of a morning or afternoons wheeling. If it's stock, it wouldn't last an hour.
Okay, we got it, you don't like English vehicles or later day Jeeps........ Nobody cares.......

I agree.

Union workers did not design the cars, they did not buy the parts, they did not set quality standards

It took a combination of commie auto unions and inbreed, clueless management to kill Detroit and they did a through job of it. Teamwork!

You are both wrong.

BOTH use GOBERMENT.

It was, in the final analysis, THE MAN, that destroyed the industry. It is primarily GOVERNMENT that did in the industry, and still meddles with the free market. It does it to death.

Prager U debunks bullshit from people like you.

Unfortunately or fortunately (whichever way you look at it) I hate, hate, hate most of the 70s and 80s cars, think they are the ugliest pieces of junk Detroit ever put out.

I agree.

You are both wrong.

BOTH use GOBERMENT.

giphy.gif

I had a friend who named his rig raisen because it looked like o

I had a friend out in Arizona who named his rig Raisin because it looked like one. There wasn't a single square inch of straight, undended or creased sheetmetal on the entire truck including the roof of the cab.
He eventually tossed the body and used the frame and drive train to build a buggy. It was a sad day to see the Raisin go.

Okay, we got it, you don't like English vehicles or later day Jeeps........ Nobody cares.......
Or latter day American makes either.

I agree.

You are both wrong.

BOTH use GOBERMENT.

Prager U debunks bullshit from people like you.

Prager U is Conservative propaganda

It is at best, opinion
At worst, misinformation

In reality my next dream vehicle is a Ural.......

d446413470c39de2268cace94ad92348.jpg

Now I'll sit back and wait for the nay-sayers to arrive........ :D

Or latter day American makes either.
Good for you, you have your preferences, others have theirs....... Ain't choices great.........

You know I spend a lot of time watching Velocity and a lot of the car building shows they do on it.

And, I've figured out that if I decide to buy another car someday, it's gonna be an older model that doesn't have a computer in it. Why? Because if that day ever comes when a nuke war is unleashed, the cars without the computers are going to be the only ones that will still work.

Besides, I don't like the thought of having to use a computer to diagnose an engine. My Grandfather could listen to an engine for around 30 sec. and know exactly what was wrong with it and what needed to be done to fix it.

You know I spend a lot of time watching Velocity and a lot of the car building shows they do on it.

And, I've figured out that if I decide to buy another car someday, it's gonna be an older model that doesn't have a computer in it. Why? Because if that day ever comes when a nuke war is unleashed, the cars without the computers are going to be the only ones that will still work.

Besides, I don't like the thought of having to use a computer to diagnose an engine. My Grandfather could listen to an engine for around 30 sec. and know exactly what was wrong with it and what needed to be done to fix it.
I thought you went everywhere by bike

I'm looking for an older pick-up, mid '60s to early '70s... an FJ45 would be my preferred... I'd settle for an FJ40...

iu

iu

a VW bug or micro-bus wouldn't necessarily suck...

Last edited:

That was not made in Detroit. Well maybe the body was but that's all. Like my truck, nothing from the frame down came out of the Toyota factory and a lot of the drive train is different too.
BTW I've wheeled all of the same trails and obsticals in Moab where that clip was filmed, several times.

I thought you went everywhere by bike

From the summer of 1986 until late summer of 1999, I rode a bicycle everywhere I went. When I got stationed in Norfolk and my house was all the way in Va. Beach (around 25 miles away), I got a motorcycle and a Mustang.

Forum List

Back