Old cars suck | Change my mind

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

1972 Ford Gran Torino. I do like that.
Unfortunately or fortunately (whichever way you look at it) I hate, hate, hate most of the 70s and 80s cars, think they are the ugliest pieces of junk Detroit ever put out.

With few exceptions (Trans Am) they were ugly, poorly made cars

Lazy ass Union workers, who thought their gravy train would last forever?

I agree.

Union workers did not design the cars, they did not buy the parts, they did not set quality standards

So you telling us they didn't give a damn, correct, even when they knew better?

Btw the Unions ran GM, Ford and Chrysler.

A union worker is unable to change the design or materials used to build cars. That would be a management responsibility

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

Unfortunately or fortunately (whichever way you look at it) I hate, hate, hate most of the 70s and 80s cars, think they are the ugliest pieces of junk Detroit ever put out.

I agree.

Union workers did not design the cars, they did not buy the parts, they did not set quality standards

It took a combination of commie auto unions and inbreed, clueless management to kill Detroit and they did a through job of it. Teamwork!

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

I agree.

It took a combination of commie auto unions and inbreed, clueless management to kill Detroit and they did a through job of it. Teamwork!
The Capitalist corporations used up and abandoned Detroit. They designed crappy cars, cut corners and ignored the market

The consumers weren’t buying it

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
So you would retromod a 48 million dollar Ferrari

RM Sotheby's - 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO by Scaglietti | Monterey 2018

But wait that's a muscle car from the 60's

So exactly what motor would you drop in this baby, and decrease it's value by 10 or 20 million
This Duesenberg is the most expensive American car ever sold at auction

Wow that's really stoopud

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

You see, youre a lot like me, except ill hate on cars older than that.
BTW, my dream car isn't even a car.

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg
That is cool, but Rubicons are even better. A "Starwood Jeep Rubicon" is my dream 4x4.

18844239797ac_low_res_2017-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-sport.jpg

Last edited:
I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

So exactly what motor would you drop in this baby, and decrease it's value by 10 or 20 million

For that kind of money, i would have a garage full of cars that are actually awesome.

For that kind of money, i would have a garage full of cars that are actually awesome.

But if you were given one of those cars would you retro it and smash it's value

I would only retromod a cool car. I wouldnt bother doing it to those cars. Id just sell them and get what i want.

I would only retromod a cool car. I wouldnt bother doing it to those cars. Id just sell them and get what i want.

So 20 plus million dollar cars are not cool.

Dude the fact is that the car itself determines what you do with it. I was watching a show where a guy was showing off his Chevelle with new engine new rear new suspension and supercharger...…………..

No one wanted it, because he totally fucked the car up by spending 50 grand on the car

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

You see, youre a lot like me, except ill hate on cars older than that.
BTW, my dream car isn't even a car.

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg
That is cool, but Rubicons are even better. A "Starwood Jeep Rubicon" is my dream 4x4.

18844239797ac_low_res_2017-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-sport.jpg
Cool
How much do they go for?

I agree.

The Capitalist corporations used up and abandoned Detroit. They designed crappy cars, cut corners and ignored the market

Like I said the first step in fixing any problem is first realizing that its broken. Apparently you too are too damned stupid to know this.
BTW your precious unions came up in that conversation I had with that honcho running Pontiac at the time. I had to infrom him that I nor did the country at large owe them one damned thing and that they would either have to get off of their dead asses and earn a living or chose unemployment. And now we both know how that went. Their choice was unemployment at the taxpayers expense.

Last edited:
ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

I agree.

True.... but they did drive up labor costs.

If you are making a car that will sell for $20,000, and labor costs are $10,000, you can put $10,000 into quality, design, and style.

If labor costs are $15,000, then you can only put $5,000 into quality, design, and style.

The numbers I'm giving are obviously made up for example... but the point is, if the cost of labor goes up, then that is less money you can put into other aspects of the car.

And if the competition does not have high labor costs, like say non-union Toyota and Honda, then they can put more money into quality, design, and style, for the same base price car.

In short, union labor loses, and non-union labor wins.

I agree.

Like I said the first step in fixing any problem is first realizing that its broken. Apparently you too are too damned stupid to know this.
BTW your peprecious unions came up in that conversation I had with that honcho running Pontiac at the time. I had to infrom him that I nor did the country at large owe them one damned thing and that they would either have to get off of their dead asses and earn a living or chose unemployment. And now we both know how that went. Their choice was unemployment at the taxpayers expense.
Again you fail to address the basic premise that it was management who designed the cars, cut corners on materials and failed to anticipate a changing market

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

I agree.

If you are making a car that will sell for $20,000, and labor costs are $10,000, you can put $10,000 into quality, design, and style.

If labor costs are $15,000, then you can only put $5,000 into quality, design, and style.

The numbers I'm giving are obviously made up for example... but the point is, if the cost of labor goes up, then that is less money you can put into other aspects of the car.

And if the competition does not have high labor costs, like say non-union Toyota and Honda, then they can put more money into quality, design, and style, for the same base price car.

Labor was not getting rich. They fought to maintain the same wages and benefits

Republicans fought for “right to work” laws that was code for right to get paid like shit

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

I agree.

Honestly it was ownership, management and labor not reacting quickly enough to market changes, Detroit had been king and thought they always would be, no one was willing to sacrifice even part of the lifestyles that had been created to rapidly adapt to rapidly changing markets. Then came manufacturing automation....... That was the death knell.

Last edited:

I agree.

Labor was not getting rich. They fought to maintain the same wages and benefits

Republicans fought for “right to work” laws that was code for right to get paid like shit
And like it or not that was part of their downfall.

Forum List

Back