Ohio Student Suspended for Staying in Class During Walkout

How dare that malcontent wish to learn rather than stage a useless protest that would make Mao and his Red Guards blush. Taxpayer funded schools have a duty to push political issues on impressionable kids! Make him an example, that'll show the little twerp he needs to stop thinking for himself.

Ohio student suspended for staying in class during walkouts

Retarded thread.

It says in the very first paragraph that he was suspended for not being in one of the two places he was supposed to be.

From your link, dope.

"HILLIARD, Ohio — An Ohio high school student says he tried to remain nonpolitical during school walkouts over gun violence and was suspended for a day because he stayed in a classroom instead of joining protests or the alternative, a study hall."

It had not a thing to do with the protest.
Problem is that our laws say the place a student is supposed to be is in class! Same with teachers As far as I am concerned all those teachers can give up their salary for the day. I doubt my boss is going to give me a paid vaca day to protest!

The phony excuse used by the school district is just a cover for left wing radical political correctness.
One teacher or guidance counselor could have stayed with the student.

The kid was given a choice. He refused to follow instructions. You apparently could not get that from the article. He was probably being a defiant little shit about it and THAT will get you suspended. The kids don't get to make the rules for themselves.

We are quickly becoming a nation of dumbasses that cannot think!

[/thread]

If that was indeed the case, I will stand corrected, That being said a teacher or guidance counselor still could have been in the classroom and the school district would make clear to the parents and public at large no political gamesmanship was involved.

It wasn’t the case.
The kid didn’t want to be forcibly associated with either the anti gun protesters who walked out, nor with those sent to study hall as they were perceived to be ‘gun nuts’ as well as being unsympathetic to the 17 kids who were killed. Kids who support the second amendment are being exposed to bullying and some have been told supporting their rights means they support the murder of the 17 kids.

Had the organisers not deliberately politicised the event and had instead confined it to memorialising the victims, there would have been no conflict of conscience. But we know it was always political and using these kids was too good an opportunity for the leftards to pass up.

So this kid just wanted to remain neutral and to be seen to be so by joining neither group. I’m sure had a third neutral option been offered, he’d have been joined by more kids.

As you say, all they had to do was provide supervision for those who wanted to remain apolitical, but that seems to have either been beyond their organisational abilities, or they enjoy polarising the kids and ensuring they identify those who don’t support their anti gun left wing agenda.

To make sure no one is any doubt - they then decided to punish this kid for simply attempting to exercise his rights - as those who walked out were allowed to do.

There is no possible 3rd option, there are two options possible, and only two.

1. Join the walkout

2. Do not join the walkout.

There is no other option.
.The walk out was an unsanctioned act not sponsored by school administration who were also placed into a situation brought on by media hype, and the demon-crat party of malcontent's looking to score points on gun control, and hoping to create future voters.

And....

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The phony excuse used by the school district is just a cover for left wing radical political correctness.

The kid was given a choice. He refused to follow instructions. You apparently could not get that from the article. He was probably being a defiant little shit about it and THAT will get you suspended. The kids don't get to make the rules for themselves.

[/thread]

If that was indeed the case, I will stand corrected, That being said a teacher or guidance counselor still could have been in the classroom and the school district would make clear to the parents and public at large no political gamesmanship was involved.

It wasn’t the case.
The kid didn’t want to be forcibly associated with either the anti gun protesters who walked out, nor with those sent to study hall as they were perceived to be ‘gun nuts’ as well as being unsympathetic to the 17 kids who were killed. Kids who support the second amendment are being exposed to bullying and some have been told supporting their rights means they support the murder of the 17 kids.

Had the organisers not deliberately politicised the event and had instead confined it to memorialising the victims, there would have been no conflict of conscience. But we know it was always political and using these kids was too good an opportunity for the leftards to pass up.

So this kid just wanted to remain neutral and to be seen to be so by joining neither group. I’m sure had a third neutral option been offered, he’d have been joined by more kids.

As you say, all they had to do was provide supervision for those who wanted to remain apolitical, but that seems to have either been beyond their organisational abilities, or they enjoy polarising the kids and ensuring they identify those who don’t support their anti gun left wing agenda.

To make sure no one is any doubt - they then decided to punish this kid for simply attempting to exercise his rights - as those who walked out were allowed to do.

1. Join the walkout

Of course there is: Don't have the walkout.

[/thread]

It wasn’t the case.

1. Join the walkout

That would fall under option 2

[/thread]

It wasn’t the case.

1. Join the walkout

That would fall under option 2

No, it would not. I said "Don't have the walkout." This would apply to the school, not the kid.

As I mentioned before, everyone arguing on the side of the school has couched their remarks in a way as if to imply that the walkout was necessary or unavoidable. It was neither. The school had the option to stop the walkout the entire time. And if it's true that the students and not the school organized this event, this means the school chose to accommodate the ones who expressed their opinions by walking out but did not accommodate the ones who did not. They gave free rein to one group but only two choices to the other group.

Illegal action huh? Is it illegal for snow to stop school?

Oh, oh, I get it.

Yeah, NFL players protest and you people get all hot under the collar about it. This shouldn't happen, people shouldn't protest blah blah blah.

This isn't about the kids, this is about your fucking guns.
No it's about the leftist agenda and you know it. The issue is on it's way to being resolved hopefully, but it all depends on how bad the leftist act up. Like my granddaddy once said "the left will flub up a two car funeral".

From a school point of view, the kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The school said he should be somewhere else.

And where did they tell the other kids they should be? The kids outside CAN express themselves and attend the walkout but those not attending and want to express themselves SHOULD stay in the study hall. You don't see a contradiction here?

Not really.

The issue here is that the kids shouldn't be walking out of class. However the school has seen that it's going to happen anyway. They might have sent teachers along with the kids protesting to keep them safe.
They want other teachers to look after those who don't want to protest.

They don't have enough teachers to put each kid in their normal classrooms and teach their lessons.

So... what do you do?

Logistics.

So the students organized an unsanctioned walkout without the blessing or consent of the school administrators and because the school staff was too lazy to try and stop it or punish the hundreds that walked out, they punish the one kid who did not. Is that what you're saying?

More or less.

However what we don't know is what happened between this kid and the school.

We can't know if he was punished for something else.

The kids who walked out and protested probably didn't go to the school and say "fuck you, we're walking out you fuckers".

But this kid might have said something like "fuck you, I'm not leaving this classroom, you fuckers." He might not have said something like this either. We don't know.

Not everything at school is about learning traditional subjects.

Right. And a protest is not a subject to be learned, traditional or otherwise.

It was not a school function. It was not a field trip. It was not a learning exercise. It was not part of the school curriculum. It was not anything that would justify interrupting regular school activities.

I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying they need to learn to protest. I'll give an example.

I went to Kosovo in 2007. At the time Kosovo was in Serbia and under a UN mandate. A year later it would become its own country as recognized by a host of countries, not including Spain, China and other countries that are arrogant enough to think they can impose themselves on others.

The bus I was in was checked for bombs and other weapons. I turned up on a Saturday and it turned out there was a protest march in Pristina, the capital. So I half joined in the protest march.

It made my trip far more alive than other parts of that trip, because I was witnessing history. It made me get interest in the subject to understand what had happened over the previous 20-30 years and why it had come to this point.

The march itself was just a march, but it opened my mind to new things.

The same could be said for these marches. Kids are marching, some of them will be interested to know why. They'll look up information. Others won't give a damn, but that's the way it goes.

It wasn't a field trip. Does that mean you can't learn from it? Does that mean you'll learn from field trips? I don't think I ever learned much from field trips, I was just happy to not be at school.

Learning is not just a school based thing. The Far East thinks it is, and they LOSE education because of this. They have kids studying 14-16 hours a day on traditional subjects and the kids grow up ignorant of the world around them. They lack creativity, they lack the ability to think for themselves.... they become robots. You want American kids to be robots?

And I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about. I never said or suggested in any way that these kids should not be allowed to protest or march or anything. If you think I have then please, point me to the post you're referring to.

All I've been saying this whole time is that I don't think they should have had it during school hours. THAT...IS...IT.

Fine, you don't think they should have done it during school hours.

But they did it during school hours.

I mean, we could go through loads of things where people don't think protest should happen. If it were like this then protest wouldn't be effective.

A bunch of schools walk out of their home time to protest. Oh, who cares?

Who cares? The one kid who was unjustly punished because he wanted no part of the walkout either way.

You're never going to convince me that what they did to this kid was justified. The school created this situation or allowed it to happen and then they get their panties in a twist when one of them goes against the grain.

Part of protesting is getting the attention of those stupid mother fuckers who got elected to power. You have to pick and choose your times so they are INCONVENIENT for those people, otherwise it's not a protest.

It's quite simple.

This kid chose to express his opinion on the matter in his own way but it was INCONVENIENT for the school staff and so they punished him for it. Can you say "Double standard"?

Again, was it unjust? You don't have the information to make that call.

Double standards? Again, you don't have the information to make that call.

No it's about the leftist agenda and you know it. The issue is on it's way to being resolved hopefully, but it all depends on how bad the leftist act up. Like my granddaddy once said "the left will flub up a two car funeral".

From a school point of view, the kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The school said he should be somewhere else.

And where did they tell the other kids they should be? The kids outside CAN express themselves and attend the walkout but those not attending and want to express themselves SHOULD stay in the study hall. You don't see a contradiction here?

Not really.

The issue here is that the kids shouldn't be walking out of class. However the school has seen that it's going to happen anyway. They might have sent teachers along with the kids protesting to keep them safe.

They don't have enough teachers to put each kid in their normal classrooms and teach their lessons.

So... what do you do?

Logistics.

So the students organized an unsanctioned walkout without the blessing or consent of the school administrators and because the school staff was too lazy to try and stop it or punish the hundreds that walked out, they punish the one kid who did not. Is that what you're saying?

More or less.

I thought it was pretty much understood that he was punished for staying in the classroom when he was told to go to study hall.

The kids who walked out and protested probably didn't go to the school and say "fuck you, we're walking out you fuckers".

But this kid might have said something like "fuck you, I'm not leaving this classroom, you fuckers." He might not have said something like this either. We don't know.

Exactly right, we don't know. So because we don't know we can't very well speculate that he was rude or unruly about it and the others were not.

Not really.

So... what do you do?

Logistics.

More or less.

I thought it was pretty much understood that he was punished for staying in the classroom when he was told to go to study hall.

Exactly right, we don't know. So because we don't know we can't very well speculate that he was rude or unruly about it and the others were not.

Yes, things are often assumed and then people go and make declarations that have nothing to do with the truth, just their assumptions.

There's a big difference between a boy sitting in a classroom, being asked to leave, leaving and then being suspended for having been in that classroom, and a boy sitting in the classroom and telling those who tell him to leave to "fuck off".

So yes, this conversation has hit a point we can't really comment on without unfounded speculation.

Right. And a protest is not a subject to be learned, traditional or otherwise.

It was not a school function. It was not a field trip. It was not a learning exercise. It was not part of the school curriculum. It was not anything that would justify interrupting regular school activities.

I went to Kosovo in 2007. At the time Kosovo was in Serbia and under a UN mandate. A year later it would become its own country as recognized by a host of countries, not including Spain, China and other countries that are arrogant enough to think they can impose themselves on others.

The bus I was in was checked for bombs and other weapons. I turned up on a Saturday and it turned out there was a protest march in Pristina, the capital. So I half joined in the protest march.

It made my trip far more alive than other parts of that trip, because I was witnessing history. It made me get interest in the subject to understand what had happened over the previous 20-30 years and why it had come to this point.

The same could be said for these marches. Kids are marching, some of them will be interested to know why. They'll look up information. Others won't give a damn, but that's the way it goes.

It wasn't a field trip. Does that mean you can't learn from it? Does that mean you'll learn from field trips? I don't think I ever learned much from field trips, I was just happy to not be at school.

Learning is not just a school based thing. The Far East thinks it is, and they LOSE education because of this. They have kids studying 14-16 hours a day on traditional subjects and the kids grow up ignorant of the world around them. They lack creativity, they lack the ability to think for themselves.... they become robots. You want American kids to be robots?

And I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about. I never said or suggested in any way that these kids should not be allowed to protest or march or anything. If you think I have then please, point me to the post you're referring to.

All I've been saying this whole time is that I don't think they should have had it during school hours. THAT...IS...IT.

I mean, we could go through loads of things where people don't think protest should happen. If it were like this then protest wouldn't be effective.

Who cares? The one kid who was unjustly punished because he wanted no part of the walkout either way.

You're never going to convince me that what they did to this kid was justified. The school created this situation or allowed it to happen and then they get their panties in a twist when one of them goes against the grain.

Part of protesting is getting the attention of those stupid mother fuckers who got elected to power. You have to pick and choose your times so they are INCONVENIENT for those people, otherwise it's not a protest.

It's quite simple.

This kid chose to express his opinion on the matter in his own way but it was INCONVENIENT for the school staff and so they punished him for it. Can you say "Double standard"?

I have the same information you have so, until we get more info on the events leading up to the suspension, if you can assume it was justified, I can assume it wasn't.

Going strictly by the information we have, it sounds like the students organized the protest, that it would be political in nature as opposed to a memorial for the kids killed in Florida, and that the teachers either endorsed it or just went along. If that is the case, this means the school allowed the students to dictate the course of events and put the administration in a position where they then had to give the other kids the two choices as to joining the walkout or going to study hall.
Jacob Shoemaker was not comfortable with these choices because he felt that to do either one would be viewed as taking a stand on the issue and he didn't feel that was right. Plus, he got lots of kudos from other students but he also said a lot of them said nasty things about him such as that he was an awful person and a gun nut who cared nothing for the kids that were killed. This in spite of the fact that he chose to stay in the classroom rather than study hall.

Here is a video of an interview with him by Fox News.

It's quite simple.

I have the same information you have so, until we get more info on the events leading up to the suspension, if you can assume it was justified, I can assume it wasn't.

Going strictly by the information we have, it sounds like the students organized the protest, that it would be political in nature as opposed to a memorial for the kids killed in Florida, and that the teachers either endorsed it or just went along. If that is the case, this means the school allowed the students to dictate the course of events and put the administration in a position where they then had to give the other kids the two choices as to joining the walkout or going to study hall.
Jacob Shoemaker was not comfortable with these choices because he felt that to do either one would be viewed as taking a stand on the issue and he didn't feel that was right. Plus, he got lots of kudos from other students but he also said a lot of them said nasty things about him such as that he was an awful person and a gun nut who cared nothing for the kids that were killed. This in spite of the fact that he chose to stay in the classroom rather than study hall.

Here is a video of an interview with him by Fox News.

Oh, he was uncomfortable with the choices. Many kids are uncomfortable with the choices that are made for them at school. Some go and get themselves suspended, others do what they're told.

Maybe those in charge of the school actually agree with the nature of the political protest. However there's nothing wrong with student input into school decisions.

Students should not be treated as merely drones.

Having students actively engage in politics, especially when they're going to be voters in 2,3 or 4 years time would appear to be the right thing to do.

But again, what info do we have?

The video, this kid said "I didn't like that there was choice."

So, he made a choice, because he didn't like having to make a choice. What?

So he wanted to be told what to do, when told what to do, he refused to do it.

The he said "students should be able to make a choice and not be forced into a situation by the officials in their school"

Again, this kid is advocating NO CHOICE and CHOICE.

I'm not attacking this kid. He's a kid, he's been thrown on FOX and they're trying to make something out of this. He clearly hasn't thought about this properly and potentially he's hiding something. Still no blame for him. I'd do the same thing.

The school responded by saying "we do not leave students unattended in classrooms"

So the school had no choice.

So it wasn't forcing him to make a political choice. If you're not participating in this thing, the default mode is "study hall", he decided this was a political thing when it wasn't.

Yeah, I can't be arsed to read 500+ posts to see if this was already linked. All apologies if it was, symphony of sarcasm playing in the background.

A student was suspended after staying in class during walkouts. Here’s what actually happened.

He stayed in the classroom, his father said, because he didn’t want to choose a side.

“He was uncomfortable going to either location as he thought that going outside would most likely be politicizing a horrific event which he wanted no part of,” his father, Scott Shoemaker, wrote in a Facebook post on Friday. “But staying inside would make him look disrespectful or insensitive to 17 innocent victims if it turned out to be more of a memorial service.”

On social media, however, Shoemaker’s now-viral suspension slip has been spun into a tale about how a liberal school system impeded the rights of a student who supported the Second Amendment, and misleading headlines painted a picture of Shoemaker being suspended solely on the grounds that he did not participate in the walkout.

I mean, heaven fucking forfend anybody actually seek the truth.

My public schools did not have "study halls"---------but they did have libraries. I consider the suspension REALLY IDIOTIC----the kid did not want to walk out

Here ... It was made clear to students that walking out of the classroom was an act of willful disobedience ...
And would be punishable according to the policies identified in their Student Handbook.
The administration provided addition resource officers on campus to protect any children that chose to protest.

It seems as though any child that wanted to protest wasn't willing to accept the consequences of their behavior in doing so.
The additional resource officers enjoyed Subway sandwiches and snacks in the library after the non-event.

Last edited:
My public schools did not have "study halls"---------but they did have libraries. I consider the suspension REALLY IDIOTIC----the kid did not want to walk out

Here ... It was made clear to students that walking out of the classroom was an act of willful disobedience ...
And would be punishable according to the policies identified in their Student Handbook.
The administration provided addition resource officers on campus to protect any children that chose to protest.

It seems as though any child that wanted to protest wasn't willing to accept the consequences of their behavior in doing so.
The additional resource officers enjoyed Subway sandwiches and snacks in the library after the non-event.

Here it was left to the individual teachers to apply any consequences they deemed appropriate. A couple gave after school detention to all that joined the walk out. My son's teacher "rewarded" those who stayed with an extra credit "pop quiz" that had one question...what is your name.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Here it was left to the individual teachers to apply any consequences they deemed appropriate. A couple gave after school detention to all that joined the walk out. My son's teacher "rewarded" those who stayed with an extra credit "pop quiz" that had one question...what is your name.

That point was brought up here by some teachers.

They were informed that their required duties were to spend their classroom time providing their students with approved subject matter.
And that their arena of responsibility during scheduled classroom time did not extend beyond their doorway unless it was an approved activity.

They were also instructed appropriate administrative actions for failing to comply with school policy were covered in their Employee Handbook.

Last edited:
How dare that malcontent wish to learn rather than stage a useless protest that would make Mao and his Red Guards blush. Taxpayer funded schools have a duty to push political issues on impressionable kids! Make him an example, that'll show the little twerp he needs to stop thinking for himself.

I haven't read the thread yet, but let me guess. The leftists are all up in arms and angry at the school system because this was supposed to be a voluntary, student lead protest, right?

:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

Leftists believing in choice, I crack myself up ...

Why didn’t he just go to the study hall with the rest of the classmates that didn’t participate? What makes him so special?

Where was the teacher? Why wasn't she doing the job the taxpayers were paying her to do?

Oh wait, she was part of the protest. So you admit the student lead crap was a lie

That point was brought up here by some teachers.

They were informed that their required duties were to spend their classroom time providing their students with approved subject matter.
And that their arena of responsibility during scheduled classroom time did not extend beyond their doorway unless it was an approved activity.

They were also instructed appropriate administrative actions for failing to comply with school policy were covered in their Employee Handbook.

Yep. The teachers job was to be in the class teaching the one kid who wanted to be there. The rest should have suffered the consequences for leaving both in terms of discipline and material covered.

Leftists believe you should have the right to "protest," but you should not ever pay a price for that. If you don't pay a price, there's nothing brave about it, is there?

That's the best solution I've heard. There should be a consequence for walking out. Not a ridiculous one like suspension or expulsion, but a consequence.

That sounds like a pretty balanced punishment and reward for the choices they made.

The only thing I think they should have done differently is cover a class worth of material and make the walk outs figure out how to catch up on their own

Forum List

Back