Ohio Student Suspended for Staying in Class During Walkout

No it wasn’t. Not participating in the walkout is seen as being against walkout, for whatever reason. The kids in that group were referred to as ‘gun nuts’ and as being uncaring about the kids that were killed.

I really don’t understand what you’re finding so difficult to understand here. You are familiar with YES/NO/DONT KNOW type surveys, yes?

If you provide only two ‘choices’ then you are polarising, pigeonholing and labelling the kids as for or against. Simple as. I don’t believe you don’t get this, so I’m not going to bother resting it again.
It it was that big of a deal, he could have stayed home from school. Kids will do that at the slightest provocation.
No. He shouldn’t have to miss school. If schools are going to hold political events, then they need to show equal respect for the kids who want to remain apolitical on the issue and provide equal supervision.

If that is beyond their organisational abilities, they have no right holding these events in the first place.
He did get equal respect. It was a 17 minute event. He had the opportunity to take his book and study in the study hall. You people are so ridiculous.
No, he was not treated with any respect at all.
He was punished for not wanting to be forced to align himself with the protesters or with those against the protest.

He wanted to remain apolitical and was denied that right because the teachers have so little foresight and so little respect for the kids they determined to herd them all into a for or against stance.
That is not treating the kids with equal respect.

He chose to make a stand knowing there would be consequences. He told his dad what he was going to do and his dad told him it was up to him.

If there were consequences to his taking a stand then there should have been the same consequences for those making a stand outside. You can't punish one for making a stand and not the other for the same thing.

.Oh no, he was where he was supposed to be, it was the illegal actions of the school to protest in a political way that let him and his fellow students down. They set him up for ridicule by his fellow students, and the school should have to pay in order to learn a valuable lesson out of this mess.

No, he clearly was NOT where he was supposed to be. Seeing as the school said that anyone in school that day was supposed to be in the STUDY HALL. Was he in the study hall? No. So how could he be in the place he was supposed to be if he wasn't in the place he was supposed to be?

It sounds like some kind of metaphysics question.
Because the school was engaging in an illegal action by staging a walk out on a whim. Now address where they have now set the students up to be bullied because they didn't kiss Obamas feet (oh wait), another topic sorry.

Illegal action huh? Is it illegal for snow to stop school?

Oh, oh, I get it.

Yeah, NFL players protest and you people get all hot under the collar about it. This shouldn't happen, people shouldn't protest blah blah blah.

This isn't about the kids, this is about your fucking guns.
No it's about the leftist agenda and you know it. The issue is on it's way to being resolved hopefully, but it all depends on how bad the leftist act up. Like my granddaddy once said "the left will flub up a two car funeral".

From a school point of view, the kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The school said he should be somewhere else.

And where did they tell the other kids they should be? The kids outside CAN express themselves and attend the walkout but those not attending and want to express themselves SHOULD stay in the study hall. You don't see a contradiction here?

You can not turn up at school or you can be in school and choose not to attend a non-school event on school time.

Let's just apply that to the ACT test like we are giving next week. If he is not taking the test, should he just be allowed to do as he wishes or should he go where he is directed?

Pay attention. An ACT test is a school event and is necessary. Therefore, if he had refused to show up for the test then he should be disciplined. The protest was neither a school event or necessary.

He could have stayed home.

He thought he was going to school to learn so why would he have stayed home?

Not everything at school is about learning traditional subjects.

Right. And a protest is not a subject to be learned, traditional or otherwise.

It was not a school function. It was not a field trip. It was not a learning exercise. It was not part of the school curriculum. It was not anything that would justify interrupting regular school activities.

I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying they need to learn to protest. I'll give an example.

I went to Kosovo in 2007. At the time Kosovo was in Serbia and under a UN mandate. A year later it would become its own country as recognized by a host of countries, not including Spain, China and other countries that are arrogant enough to think they can impose themselves on others.

The bus I was in was checked for bombs and other weapons. I turned up on a Saturday and it turned out there was a protest march in Pristina, the capital. So I half joined in the protest march.

It made my trip far more alive than other parts of that trip, because I was witnessing history. It made me get interest in the subject to understand what had happened over the previous 20-30 years and why it had come to this point.

The march itself was just a march, but it opened my mind to new things.

The same could be said for these marches. Kids are marching, some of them will be interested to know why. They'll look up information. Others won't give a damn, but that's the way it goes.

It wasn't a field trip. Does that mean you can't learn from it? Does that mean you'll learn from field trips? I don't think I ever learned much from field trips, I was just happy to not be at school.

Learning is not just a school based thing. The Far East thinks it is, and they LOSE education because of this. They have kids studying 14-16 hours a day on traditional subjects and the kids grow up ignorant of the world around them. They lack creativity, they lack the ability to think for themselves.... they become robots. You want American kids to be robots?

And I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about. I never said or suggested in any way that these kids should not be allowed to protest or march or anything. If you think I have then please, point me to the post you're referring to.

All I've been saying this whole time is that I don't think they should have had it during school hours. THAT...IS...IT.

We've already been over this.
I highly doubt a kid that understands the political ramifications of choosing sides is "that type"
He made a conscious decision to stay neutral and he said as much.

That choice was not offered. Being neutral was going to the study hall. I am sorry that aspect escapes your limited intellect, but not everyone can be valedictorian.

And do you know why he chose to stay in the classroom and not go to the study hall? Because he felt that to go to the study hall would have marked him by those who protested as a "gun nut." And you know what the sad part of that is? He's probably right.

And yet he's gained far more attention by not going to the Study Hall.

How much attention was garnered is not the point. What kind of attention he garnered is the point. He did not want to be seen as pro gun control and he didn't want to be viewed as a gun nut who cared nothing for the seventeen students killed in Florida.

Then he could have stayed at home.

He could have done a variety of things, but what he chose to do was to stay in a classroom he wasn't authorized to be in.

He wasn't authorized to stay home either as he had no medical or other excuse and he would have had an unexcused absence added to his report card.

No it wasn’t. Not participating in the walkout is seen as being against walkout, for whatever reason. The kids in that group were referred to as ‘gun nuts’ and as being uncaring about the kids that were killed.

I really don’t understand what you’re finding so difficult to understand here. You are familiar with YES/NO/DONT KNOW type surveys, yes?

If you provide only two ‘choices’ then you are polarising, pigeonholing and labelling the kids as for or against. Simple as. I don’t believe you don’t get this, so I’m not going to bother resting it again.
It it was that big of a deal, he could have stayed home from school. Kids will do that at the slightest provocation.
No. He shouldn’t have to miss school. If schools are going to hold political events, then they need to show equal respect for the kids who want to remain apolitical on the issue and provide equal supervision.

If that is beyond their organisational abilities, they have no right holding these events in the first place.
He did get equal respect. It was a 17 minute event. He had the opportunity to take his book and study in the study hall. You people are so ridiculous.
No, he was not treated with any respect at all.
He was punished for not wanting to be forced to align himself with the protesters or with those against the protest.

He wanted to remain apolitical and was denied that right because the teachers have so little foresight and so little respect for the kids they determined to herd them all into a for or against stance.
That is not treating the kids with equal respect.

He chose to make a stand knowing there would be consequences. He told his dad what he was going to do and his dad told him it was up to him.
I'm so old I remember when if you walked out of class when it was in session there was hell to pay.

But in those days the focus was education, not brainwashing kids to become leftist pussies.

No, he clearly was NOT where he was supposed to be. Seeing as the school said that anyone in school that day was supposed to be in the STUDY HALL. Was he in the study hall? No. So how could he be in the place he was supposed to be if he wasn't in the place he was supposed to be?

It sounds like some kind of metaphysics question.
Because the school was engaging in an illegal action by staging a walk out on a whim. Now address where they have now set the students up to be bullied because they didn't kiss Obamas feet (oh wait), another topic sorry.

Oh, oh, I get it.

Yeah, NFL players protest and you people get all hot under the collar about it. This shouldn't happen, people shouldn't protest blah blah blah.

No it's about the leftist agenda and you know it. The issue is on it's way to being resolved hopefully, but it all depends on how bad the leftist act up. Like my granddaddy once said "the left will flub up a two car funeral".

From a school point of view, the kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The school said he should be somewhere else.

And where did they tell the other kids they should be? The kids outside CAN express themselves and attend the walkout but those not attending and want to express themselves SHOULD stay in the study hall. You don't see a contradiction here?

Not really.

The issue here is that the kids shouldn't be walking out of class. However the school has seen that it's going to happen anyway. They might have sent teachers along with the kids protesting to keep them safe.
They want other teachers to look after those who don't want to protest.

They don't have enough teachers to put each kid in their normal classrooms and teach their lessons.

So... what do you do?

Logistics.

Let's just apply that to the ACT test like we are giving next week. If he is not taking the test, should he just be allowed to do as he wishes or should he go where he is directed?

Pay attention. An ACT test is a school event and is necessary. Therefore, if he had refused to show up for the test then he should be disciplined. The protest was neither a school event or necessary.

He could have stayed home.

It was not a school function. It was not a field trip. It was not a learning exercise. It was not part of the school curriculum. It was not anything that would justify interrupting regular school activities.

I went to Kosovo in 2007. At the time Kosovo was in Serbia and under a UN mandate. A year later it would become its own country as recognized by a host of countries, not including Spain, China and other countries that are arrogant enough to think they can impose themselves on others.

The bus I was in was checked for bombs and other weapons. I turned up on a Saturday and it turned out there was a protest march in Pristina, the capital. So I half joined in the protest march.

It made my trip far more alive than other parts of that trip, because I was witnessing history. It made me get interest in the subject to understand what had happened over the previous 20-30 years and why it had come to this point.

The same could be said for these marches. Kids are marching, some of them will be interested to know why. They'll look up information. Others won't give a damn, but that's the way it goes.

It wasn't a field trip. Does that mean you can't learn from it? Does that mean you'll learn from field trips? I don't think I ever learned much from field trips, I was just happy to not be at school.

Learning is not just a school based thing. The Far East thinks it is, and they LOSE education because of this. They have kids studying 14-16 hours a day on traditional subjects and the kids grow up ignorant of the world around them. They lack creativity, they lack the ability to think for themselves.... they become robots. You want American kids to be robots?

And I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about. I never said or suggested in any way that these kids should not be allowed to protest or march or anything. If you think I have then please, point me to the post you're referring to.

All I've been saying this whole time is that I don't think they should have had it during school hours. THAT...IS...IT.

Fine, you don't think they should have done it during school hours.

But they did it during school hours.

I mean, we could go through loads of things where people don't think protest should happen. If it were like this then protest wouldn't be effective.

A bunch of schools walk out of their home time to protest. Oh, who cares?
A bunch of NFL players kneel on the toilet. Oh, who cares?

Part of protesting is getting the attention of those stupid mother fuckers who got elected to power. You have to pick and choose your times so they are INCONVENIENT for those people, otherwise it's not a protest.

It's quite simple.

That choice was not offered. Being neutral was going to the study hall. I am sorry that aspect escapes your limited intellect, but not everyone can be valedictorian.

And do you know why he chose to stay in the classroom and not go to the study hall? Because he felt that to go to the study hall would have marked him by those who protested as a "gun nut." And you know what the sad part of that is? He's probably right.

And yet he's gained far more attention by not going to the Study Hall.

How much attention was garnered is not the point. What kind of attention he garnered is the point. He did not want to be seen as pro gun control and he didn't want to be viewed as a gun nut who cared nothing for the seventeen students killed in Florida.

Then he could have stayed at home.

He could have done a variety of things, but what he chose to do was to stay in a classroom he wasn't authorized to be in.

He wasn't authorized to stay home either as he had no medical or other excuse and he would have had an unexcused absence added to his report card.

Which is why I think suspending him may not have been the right course of action.

What we don't know is how he reacted to being told he couldn't be in the classroom. Seems he fought back and refused to do what he was told by his teachers.

That's probably what got him in trouble.

My public schools did not have "study halls"---------but they did have libraries. I consider the suspension REALLY IDIOTIC----the kid did not want to walk out

You didn't have study halls? Really. We did it was a non-credit option to fill a period when a student had enough credits to graduate but was still taking classes.

My son has study hall for his last quarter this year as the school district is stupid and requires 5 quarters of PE and the only other 1 quarter class is health and he took that in summer school
. Study halls have never been used in the way it was being used on this issue. The students should cry fowel for being forced to appear as if they were against the supporting of the families and victims over the tragedy that had taken place, when what they were protesting actually was the anti-gun protest or second amendment protest that evolved out of the situation.
You KNOW NOTHING about schools. Study halls are very often used for this and similar purposes. You are an ignorant blowhard.
One of the things 'study halls' are used for are in school detention. When kids behave badly, they can get in school detention instead of being suspended. The detention can be a certain number of hours, during the school day or after school. It is used to keep kids from classes where they have been extremely disruptive. It is used instead of home suspension so they can still be in school and learning. The supervier of the study hall helps kids with their work; the teachers supply assignment for them to work on.

Study hall isn't what it used to be 25 or 30 years ago.

Hmmm, unsure about that E - I was a 3 sport athlete in high school (late 70s) and we got study hall one period during the season because we traveled and such and would often miss classes.

There were TWO things at the time - Study Hall and Detention .. quite different, and being a bad boy my senior year .. I got BOTH :)
It depends on the school you are in. Whether it is called dentention or study hall or another name, it is the same thing though kids may be there for different reasons. In the schools I have been in over the past 20 years or more, in school detention is common and students are not allowed to just sit and stare at the ceiling. Teachers are asked to give assignments for the kids to work on while they are out of class. The teacher(s) supervising the detention/study hall are expected to help the kids with that work. A 'Breakfast Club' situation no longer exists.

Hmmm, unsure about that E - I was a 3 sport athlete in high school (late 70s) and we got study hall one period during the season because we traveled and such and would often miss classes.

There were TWO things at the time - Study Hall and Detention .. quite different, and being a bad boy my senior year .. I got BOTH :)

It depends on the school you are in. Whether it is called dentention or study hall or another name, it is the same thing though kids may be there for different reasons. In the schools I have been in over the past 20 years or more, in school detention is common and students are not allowed to just sit and stare at the ceiling. Teachers are asked to give assignments for the kids to work on while they are out of class. The teacher(s) supervising the detention/study hall are expected to help the kids with that work. A 'Breakfast Club' situation no longer exists.

Lol - Yeah, Breakfast Club came I think 5 years after my high school days were over but that's kind of what detention was like. Study hall was exactly as you now describe detention now. You were expected to be quiet and bring homework - Everyone did. There was a teacher available for help and he or she had a little office to take kids in who needed help.

Side note: I had a major crush on Molly Ringwald. :wink:

2d274907856491-breakfast-club-ringwald-2-150219-streams_desktop_large_2473fa4717da6cabef2a6c91911d8a21.today-inline-large.jpg

It is my UNSOLICITED opinion------that the person who imposed a suspension on the poor innocent kid---DID SO
BECAUSE SHE FERVENTLY SUPPORTED THE WALK-
OUT and decided that SHE HAD A RIGHT TO IMPOSE
HER VIEW. I hope she is fired. IM (less than humble) O, the
use of SCHOOL children to demonstrate or walk pickett lines,
is abusive.

Lol - Yeah, Breakfast Club came I think 5 years after my high school days were over but that's kind of what detention was like. Study hall was exactly as you now describe detention now. You were expected to be quiet and bring homework - Everyone did. There was a teacher available for help and he or she had a little office to take kids in who needed help.

Side note: I had a major crush on Molly Ringwald. :wink:

2d274907856491-breakfast-club-ringwald-2-150219-streams_desktop_large_2473fa4717da6cabef2a6c91911d8a21.today-inline-large.jpg
Well she was cute.

Nowadays, teachers are asked to provide work for kids who are doing in-school detention. If I didn't provide work, someone, usually a counselor, would come and see me and ask if I could provide something. They just don't allow the kids to sit and do nothing. It's an improvement, and it deters kids from ending up in detention, which for some, was just a way of getting out of class--in the old days.

Ohio student suspended for staying in class during walkouts

The phony excuse used by the school district is just a cover for left wing radical political correctness.
One teacher or guidance counselor could have stayed with the student.
I wish they were not so stupid as to have done what they did. I pay taxes in that school district. I would have rather seen my taxes go any where but a law suite. Now because of one persons stupidity evey one in the district gets to pay. Zero tolerance equals zero common sense. Bring common sense back into the schools and make decisions a little slower! How one couold not seen the possible repurcussions of this action I do not know but here we are again.

The phony excuse used by the school district is just a cover for left wing radical political correctness.

The kid was given a choice. He refused to follow instructions. You apparently could not get that from the article. He was probably being a defiant little shit about it and THAT will get you suspended. The kids don't get to make the rules for themselves.

We are quickly becoming a nation of dumbasses that cannot think!

[/thread]

If that was indeed the case, I will stand corrected, That being said a teacher or guidance counselor still could have been in the classroom and the school district would make clear to the parents and public at large no political gamesmanship was involved.

It wasn’t the case.

The kid didn’t want to be forcibly associated with either the anti gun protesters who walked out, nor with those sent to study hall as they were perceived to be ‘gun nuts’ as well as being unsympathetic to the 17 kids who were killed. Kids who support the second amendment are being exposed to bullying and some have been told supporting their rights means they support the murder of the 17 kids.

Had the organisers not deliberately politicised the event and had instead confined it to memorialising the victims, there would have been no conflict of conscience. But we know it was always political and using these kids was too good an opportunity for the leftards to pass up.

So this kid just wanted to remain neutral and to be seen to be so by joining neither group. I’m sure had a third neutral option been offered, he’d have been joined by more kids.

As you say, all they had to do was provide supervision for those who wanted to remain apolitical, but that seems to have either been beyond their organisational abilities, or they enjoy polarising the kids and ensuring they identify those who don’t support their anti gun left wing agenda.

To make sure no one is any doubt - they then decided to punish this kid for simply attempting to exercise his rights - as those who walked out were allowed to do.

The kid was given a choice. He refused to follow instructions. You apparently could not get that from the article. He was probably being a defiant little shit about it and THAT will get you suspended. The kids don't get to make the rules for themselves.

[/thread]

If that was indeed the case, I will stand corrected, That being said a teacher or guidance counselor still could have been in the classroom and the school district would make clear to the parents and public at large no political gamesmanship was involved.

It wasn’t the case.
The kid didn’t want to be forcibly associated with either the anti gun protesters who walked out, nor with those sent to study hall as they were perceived to be ‘gun nuts’ as well as being unsympathetic to the 17 kids who were killed. Kids who support the second amendment are being exposed to bullying and some have been told supporting their rights means they support the murder of the 17 kids.

Had the organisers not deliberately politicised the event and had instead confined it to memorialising the victims, there would have been no conflict of conscience. But we know it was always political and using these kids was too good an opportunity for the leftards to pass up.

So this kid just wanted to remain neutral and to be seen to be so by joining neither group. I’m sure had a third neutral option been offered, he’d have been joined by more kids.

As you say, all they had to do was provide supervision for those who wanted to remain apolitical, but that seems to have either been beyond their organisational abilities, or they enjoy polarising the kids and ensuring they identify those who don’t support their anti gun left wing agenda.

To make sure no one is any doubt - they then decided to punish this kid for simply attempting to exercise his rights - as those who walked out were allowed to do.

There is no possible 3rd option, there are two options possible, and only two.

1. Join the walkout

2. Do not join the walkout.

There is no other option.

Oh, oh, I get it.

Not really.

The issue here is that the kids shouldn't be walking out of class. However the school has seen that it's going to happen anyway. They might have sent teachers along with the kids protesting to keep them safe.
They want other teachers to look after those who don't want to protest.

They don't have enough teachers to put each kid in their normal classrooms and teach their lessons.

So... what do you do?

Logistics.

So the students organized an unsanctioned walkout without the blessing or consent of the school administrators and because the school staff was too lazy to try and stop it or punish the hundreds that walked out, they punish the one kid who did not. Is that what you're saying?

[/thread]

It wasn’t the case.

There is no possible 3rd option, there are two options possible, and only two.

1. Join the walkout

2. Do not join the walkout.

There is no other option.
.The walk out was an unsanctioned act not sponsored by school administration who were also placed into a situation brought on by media hype, and the demon-crat party of malcontent's looking to score points on gun control, and hoping to create future voters.

Fine, you don't think they should have done it during school hours.

But they did it during school hours.

I mean, we could go through loads of things where people don't think protest should happen. If it were like this then protest wouldn't be effective.

A bunch of schools walk out of their home time to protest. Oh, who cares?

Who cares? The one kid who was unjustly punished because he wanted no part of the walkout either way.

You're never going to convince me that what they did to this kid was justified. The school created this situation or allowed it to happen and then they get their panties in a twist when one of them goes against the grain.

Part of protesting is getting the attention of those stupid mother fuckers who got elected to power. You have to pick and choose your times so they are INCONVENIENT for those people, otherwise it's not a protest.

It's quite simple.

This kid chose to express his opinion on the matter in his own way but it was INCONVENIENT for the school staff and so they punished him for it. Can you say "Double standard"?

Forum List

Back