Oh Dear...The facts get in the way again.

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
It seems that Valerie Plame Wilson was indeed a covert operative covered under the Foreign Intelligence Identities Protection Act. In a memoradum filed with the federal court handling the Libby case, Patrick Fitzgerald wrote:

<blockquote>It was clear from very early in the investigation that Ms. Wilson qualified under the relevant statute (Title 50, United States Code, Section 421) as a covert agent whose identity had been disclosed by public officials, including Mr. Libby, to the press.</blockquote>

This memorandum undercuts the assertion that since Richard Armitage, Karl Rove were the sources for Bob Novak's column, 'Scooter' should be given a break since his prosecution was "purely political". Knowing who leaked Ms. Plame's identity to Novak didn't end the case however, as there were a number of unanswered questions. Libby's repeated misleading of FBI investigators and prevarication effectively blocked inquiries into a conspiracy behind the leak, which could have led to Dick Cheney's office, thus the prosecution for perjury and obstruction of justice.

Fitzgerald concludes the memorandum with the following:

</blockquote>Early in the investigation...the critical issue remained as to precisely what the particular [administration] officials [who leaked] knew about Ms. Wilson's status and what the officials intended when they disclosed her identity to the media. Moreover, in assessing the intent of these individuals, it was necessary to determine whether there was concerted action by any combination of the officials known to have disclosed the information about Ms. Plame to the media as anonymous sources, and also whether any of those who were involved acted at the direction of others. This was particularly important in light of Mr. Libby's statement to the FBI that he may have discussed Ms. Wilson's employment with reporters at the specific direction of the Vice President.</blockquote>

In essence, th FBI was investigating whether or not Dick Cheney had been involved in the leaking of covert CIA asset's identity during, as this administration is so fond of pointing out, a time of war. The repeated false statements made by 'Scooter', pursuant to this investigation made them a subject of investigation.

You can find the full text of the memo in PDF format <a href=http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_weblog/files/libby_governments_sentencing_memo.pdf>HERE</a>.

The truth is inconvenient, and painful as Fiztgerald is recommending Libby be sentenced to between 30 and 37 months for his crimes.

Oh bully...don't expect much from your opponents on this issue...

The TRUTH HURTS, and they are "sissies" :)....can't handle the pain of being wrong about some of the key issues involving this case....

The same old articles that have already been proven false, just by reading the transcripts of the case, will be cut and pasted, and argued as truth...their minds seems to be not of their own lately... :(

care

what?!?!?!

no cut and paste from RSR to let us all know what NEWSMAX thinks?

It is clear? Please provide the ACTUAL point that makes it true. Further explain how if she was a covert agent the switchboard at Langley freely identified her as working at and for the CIA.

The opinion is worthless without an actually explaination of HOW she met the standard. You can cite all the opinions you want. That does not make it fact.

You see the CIA has non covert workers too.

That was her cover an Joe dokes paper shuffler at the CIA.

When in reality she was a covert agent.

There you go that wasnt hard huh?

filed with the federal court handling the Libby case, Patrick Fitzgerald wrote:

It was clear from very early in the investigation that Ms. Wilson qualified under the relevant statute (Title 50, United States Code, Section 421) as a covert agent whose identity had been disclosed by public officials, including Mr. Libby, to the press.

She was covert unless you want to call every branch of the government liars you need to accept that FACT!

Because Facts Matter

He provided NO evidence other than his opinion. The designation of Covert has SPECIFIC requirements, she met none of them... Provide this Prosecutor"s justification for his opinion.

Facts DO matter, this is not fact, it is opinion.

What IS a fact is that when the switchboard at Langley was called the operator FREELY admitted she was an employee and worked at and for the CIA.

poor gynosarge....

still trying to argue that the sky is orange just because you saw a sunset once and admitting to a blue sky is not politically convenient?

that pesky reality just keeps slapping.. and slapping.. and slapping.. and..

What? Not addressing the issues or the question? Now remind me again , who is it that rants on and on about someone not answering HIS questions?

I merely point out that your assumption is that the federal prosecutor is willfully lying in his statement...and I laughingly suggested that they do that all the time....don't they?

I merely point out that your assumption is that the federal prosecutor is willfully lying in his statement...and I laughingly suggested that they do that all the time....don't they?

I will assume you have no answer. Thanks though for being JUST like someone you claim to detest.

did you realyl wrap your mind around that statement before posting it?

really?

More to the point. Libby was not charged with nor convicted of disclosing her identity. He was not the one that did that. Armitage did. But that begs the question, how does one disclose ones covert nature if the cover is she works for the CIA? No one "disclosed" that she was covert, all that happened was the press reported she WORKED for the CIA.

How is one guilty of disclosure when all one need do is call the CIA switchboard and ask if she worked there and receive the answer " why yes, she works here"?

I will assume you have no answer. Thanks though for being JUST like someone you claim to detest.

All I know is: the CIA SAID she was a covert agent - were they lying? and it was JUST confirmed again by the NEW head of the CIA for Rep. Waxman - was HE lying? and now the sentencing memorandum from the federal prosecutor says the same thing - and he was lying too??? but the retired gunny says different and, obviously, he knows all about that covert stuff.... even moreso than the DCI does. excuse me.

Hey...I don't work at the CIA. I haven't been NEAR CIA HQ in 25 years. I have no idea what her cover was or what the rest of the world thought she was doing.... I just know that as soon as her cover was blown in the Novack article, the CIA immediately requested an investigation into the "outing".

All I know is: the CIA SAID she was a covert agent.... which was JUST confirmed again by the NEW head of the CIA for Rep. Waxman... and now the sentencing memorandum from the federal prosecutor says the same thing.... but the retired gunny says different and, obviously, he knows all about that covert stuff.... even moreso than the DCI does. excuse me.

Hey...I don't work at the CIA. I haven't been NEAR CIA HQ in 25 years. I have no idea what her cover was or what the rest of the world thought she was doing.... I just know that as soon as her cover was blown in the Novack article, the CIA immediately requested an investigation into the "outing".

In other words you have no idea if the complaint was political or truthful. It is simply amazing how if a republican does something it is wrong, it is deceitful, it is political, but anyone does something against a republican and wham they are angels of truth and Justice.

Forum List

Back