[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

BTW, @Pogo , this is all I was talking about:

kICyYpl.png

This program is not compatible with my iPhone at all. Could be because this is a UK product? Buy American baby.

@cereal_killer

Might wanna buy some additional bandwidth for the site. Noticing a huge increase in how long it takes to display a full thread of replies I watched my connection speed. Out of about 600KB/sec down max (4800Kb/sec) at 6am presumedly low-usage time of day the max rate was a burst of 1200Mb/sec. This resulted in a full page (30 replies) taking 48s to display. And that was a very fast loadtime relative to the new interface. But it was still no where near my max possible and I'm just on DSL.

Better hosting site, or more bandwidith is probably going to become a necessity as this interface is profoundly slower than vBulletin.

Bells and whistles are great. But first and foremost this is a discussion site. The primary functions being reading posts, replying to posts. You need to take a lesson from computer game design: framerate, framerate, framerate. If bells and whistles cause triple the load time, ditch them.

Now, that is amazing, for over here on the other side of the big drip, the site is running decidedly faster.

I just don't get what is tripping some people up.

Maybe I am misinterpreting things, but it seems to me admin has fixed the nested quote problem? If I am seeing that correctly, KUDOS to the tech team because that is definitely a reasonable compromise. Surely if the nesting goes on so long it redevelops the problem, we all are smart enough to cut out sufficient content for context purposes and start a new string? But if it is working like I think it is working I'm a happy camper about that.

Now some additional things on my wish list for future tech projects--maybe for a rainy day when you're all bored? :):

1. I would like some way to easily access my most current threads as the old UserCP feature allowed me to do. UNREAD WATCHED THREADS doesn't do it because if I use it to access say the Coffee Shop, read the content, and then return to make a post, the Coffee Shop is no longer listed in the unread watched threads until somebody posts there. YOUR CONTENT doesn't do it on the profile page because all posts are shown there and you might have to scroll a long way to find one in the thread you want to visit.

2. I would like the members currently on line to be shown in text instead of avatars. The avatars are too small to be useful even if you know what to look for, and having to hover over each one to find somebody is irritating and too time consuming.

3. I would like today's birthdays listed on the home page as they were before. We try to celebrate those and no longer have any way to find out who is having one.

Foxy, if you go to the Watched Threads and scroll to the bottom under the last thread on the left, you will see an option to click on Show All Watched Threads.

Yes, and the posts are becoming HUGE! Under the prior system only the last 3 are quoted. In the one linked below there are 14 quotes. :eek-52:

Liberalism vs America

Since the Reply test box doesn't have a scroll function it makes it awkward to apply formatting.

How can anyone decipher who is saying what when you have to scroll up and down and probably put your finger in the space and follow it up and down to see who said what? I would think multi-quoting would be more sensible, then you can see each quote and who said it, if it's all necessary to have all relevant posts available in one post.

Maybe I am misinterpreting things, but it seems to me admin has fixed the nested quote problem? If I am seeing that correctly, KUDOS to the tech team because that is definitely a reasonable compromise. Surely if the nesting goes on so long it redevelops the problem, we all are smart enough to cut out sufficient content for context purposes and start a new string? But if it is working like I think it is working I'm a happy camper about that.

Now some additional things on my wish list for future tech projects--maybe for a rainy day when you're all bored? :):

1. I would like some way to easily access my most current threads as the old UserCP feature allowed me to do. UNREAD WATCHED THREADS doesn't do it because if I use it to access say the Coffee Shop, read the content, and then return to make a post, the Coffee Shop is no longer listed in the unread watched threads until somebody posts there. YOUR CONTENT doesn't do it on the profile page because all posts are shown there and you might have to scroll a long way to find one in the thread you want to visit.

2. I would like the members currently on line to be shown in text instead of avatars. The avatars are too small to be useful even if you know what to look for, and having to hover over each one to find somebody is irritating and too time consuming.

3. I would like today's birthdays listed on the home page as they were before. We try to celebrate those and no longer have any way to find out who is having one.

Foxy, if you go to the Watched Threads and scroll to the bottom under the last thread on the left, you will see an option to click on Show All Watched Threads.

I know, but its an extra unnecessary step and therefore an annoyance. I also have All Watched Threads favorited on the computers I most often use but experience minor irritation of even having to go use that step. Would be so much simpler if a button ALL WATCHED THREADS was up there with the Watched Forums, Watched Threads or if the Watched Thread button opened ALL Watched Threads instead of Unread Watched Threads.

File this under the "Don't make things harder than they have to be" category. That is a favorite slogan of mine. :)

I know, but its an extra unnecessary step and therefore an annoyance. I also have All Watched Threads favorited on the computers I most often use but experience minor irritation of even having to go use that step. Would be so much simpler if a button ALL WATCHED THREADS was up there with the Watched Forums, Watched Threads or if the Watched Thread button opened ALL Watched Threads instead of Unread Watched Threads.

File this under the "Don't make things harder than they have to be" category. That is a favorite slogan of mine. :)

Yeah, it's not the best option, but better than scrolling through content as you described. At least when I use that feature, the CS and colors thread are always near the top and I don't need to go hunting.

Yeah, it's not the best option, but better than scrolling through content as you described. At least when I use that feature, the CS and colors thread are always near the top and I don't need to go hunting.

Except, it won't be there if you check in on the colors or CS threads, leave USMB for whatever reason, and then come back to read some more or post. Once it's 'read' it doesn't appear there again until somebody posts. In 'all watched threads' it stays there and disappears only if there are sufficient posts in your other watched threads to bump it off the immediate page.

Except, it won't be there if you check in on the colors or CS threads, leave USMB for whatever reason, and then come back to read some more or post. Once it's 'read' it doesn't appear there again until somebody posts. In 'all watched threads' it stays there and disappears only if there are sufficient posts in your other watched threads to bump it off the immediate page.

I understand, and I agree that a Show All Watched Threads tab at the top would be easier. In the meantime, using the Show All Watched Threads at the bottom of the page is the easiest way I've found so far to be able to quickly access the CS and colors thread when nobody else has made a post to bump them to the Watched Threads.

I can finally use the site in my win (business) phone.

Thanks

This program is not compatible with my iPhone at all. Could be because this is a UK product? Buy American baby.

@cereal_killer

Might wanna buy some additional bandwidth for the site. Noticing a huge increase in how long it takes to display a full thread of replies I watched my connection speed. Out of about 600KB/sec down max (4800Kb/sec) at 6am presumedly low-usage time of day the max rate was a burst of 1200Mb/sec. This resulted in a full page (30 replies) taking 48s to display. And that was a very fast loadtime relative to the new interface. But it was still no where near my max possible and I'm just on DSL.

Better hosting site, or more bandwidith is probably going to become a necessity as this interface is profoundly slower than vBulletin.

Bells and whistles are great. But first and foremost this is a discussion site. The primary functions being reading posts, replying to posts. You need to take a lesson from computer game design: framerate, framerate, framerate. If bells and whistles cause triple the load time, ditch them.

Now, that is amazing, for over here on the other side of the big drip, the site is running decidedly faster.

I just don't get what is tripping some people up.
Try Tapatalk.
Tapatalk

I'm looking to find my previous posts, I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the last thousand remarks on this thread. Probably best just to write it down on a separate paper.

[
Yes, and the posts are becoming HUGE! Under the prior system only the last 3 are quoted. In the one linked below there are 14 quotes. :eek-52:

Liberalism vs America

Since the Reply test box doesn't have a scroll function it makes it awkward to apply formatting.

How can anyone decipher who is saying what when you have to scroll up and down and probably put your finger in the space and follow it up and down to see who said what? I would think multi-quoting would be more sensible, then you can see each quote and who said it, if it's all necessary to have all relevant posts available in one post.

Multiquoting is an option we were trying before nesting was enabled but one problem is that multiquotes seem to appear in random order. If they're not chronological it's impossible to figure out who was responding to what.

Forum List

Back