Occupy Will Eclipse the Activism of the 1960s

Are you ready for Wall Street meets Jim Crow in the Gulf of Tonkin?
Occupy is.

"A tsunami of citizen activism, initiated by Occupy Wall Street, is poised to wash over American society.

"The coming battle to correct the grotesquely unequal distribution of wealth and power in this country is likely to have an even more profound impact on our society than what occurred in the 1960s.

"Fifty years ago, a few white students like me were outraged to find that the sugarcoated view of America we had been taught in the 50s did not match reality.

"The notions of justice and human rights we had internalized motivated our actions, and as idealists, we opposed the Jim Crow laws in the South and the needless killing in Southeast Asia.

"Young activists taking to the streets today harbor no illusions about justice in America. They are cynical, worldly wise and unemployed; many are weighed down by debt..."

"In 1958, when I entered the elite University of Chicago, annual tuition was $870. Inflation would make that $6,945 today. But tuition at the U of C this year is $43,851, more than six times as much, making crushing debt inevitable for most students."

The Aftermath of Occupy Will Surpass the Gains of 1960s Activism
I was with Occupy. I was on a committee that met with local government.

you are delusional.

This is the best joke thread of the week so far. Congrats, gp!
Occupy is very clear about how they would deal with crimes like this...

"ForeclosureGate represents the sum total illegal and unethical lending and collections activities during the real estate bubble.

"It continues today.

"Law professor and law school dean Christopher L. Peterson describes the contractual language for the sixty million contracts between borrowers and lenders as fictional since the boilerplate language names a universal surrogate as creditor (Mortgage Electronic Registration System), not the actual creditor. Other aspects of ForeclosureGate harmed homeowners but the contractual problems that the lenders created on their own pose the greatest threats."

Beyond Foreclosuregate - It Gets Uglier

What about you?

It's weird that everyone here talks about OWS as some sort of organized movement.

It was just an ad hoc collection of disgruntled people.

It had a significant political impact in the first few weeks, but fizzled out (and degenrated) due to lack of leadership and direction.

It IS still significant in that it does indicate that there's a huge amount of pissed off people in this country - and that their anger is against the financial & business sector - not the government.

I don't expect OWS to continue as an organization. But there will be others, perhaps with better leadership and defined goals.

Q: "What's your Mockupation?"

Occutard answers: "Occupy!"

GALES of derisive laughter directed at the smelly useless fuckwit occupiers.
Have you sucked your local Koch today?

No, but clearly you never suck quite enough ass.

As Imus says, you just can't suck enough.

Occupy is a brain dead movement of fucking zombie pussy losers.
Does that mean you love Dick?
Nixon or Cheney?
Your pathetic attempts at relevancy rival Mitt's
Get AIDs and die, Dick-Lover.

Occupy is.

"A tsunami of citizen activism, initiated by Occupy Wall Street, is poised to wash over American society.

"The coming battle to correct the grotesquely unequal distribution of wealth and power in this country is likely to have an even more profound impact on our society than what occurred in the 1960s.

"Fifty years ago, a few white students like me were outraged to find that the sugarcoated view of America we had been taught in the 50s did not match reality.

"The notions of justice and human rights we had internalized motivated our actions, and as idealists, we opposed the Jim Crow laws in the South and the needless killing in Southeast Asia.

"Young activists taking to the streets today harbor no illusions about justice in America. They are cynical, worldly wise and unemployed; many are weighed down by debt..."

"In 1958, when I entered the elite University of Chicago, annual tuition was $870. Inflation would make that $6,945 today. But tuition at the U of C this year is $43,851, more than six times as much, making crushing debt inevitable for most students."

LMAO !!:badgrin:
LHL(laugh harder loser)

"The United States graduates about 800,000 college students annually. With an economy no longer expanding as it did previously, only about 400,000 can find full-time jobs. For the same reason, there is insufficient employment for millions of working-class Americans led to expect a middle-class lifestyle, but sinking into poverty instead.

"Will 400,000 unemployed college graduates all meekly accept unpaid internships or flip hamburgers at minimum wage to pay off impossibly burdensome debt? No. A portion will inevitably become protesters.

"Every spring, more will join them from the next cohort of 400,000 unemployed graduates. Some will be embittered, and having nothing, will have nothing to lose. They will man the barricades and be the militants of a larger movement of increasingly impoverished working-class Americans."

Occupy is.

Take it from me kid, OCC has NOTHING on the Demonstrators and Movements of the 60's.

It's Support is only a Tiny Fraction of the Support they had.

OCC is down to nothing but a Bunch of anarchist, and Idiots, wake up.

Occupy is.

LHL(laugh harder loser)

"The United States graduates about 800,000 college students annually. With an economy no longer expanding as it did previously, only about 400,000 can find full-time jobs. For the same reason, there is insufficient employment for millions of working-class Americans led to expect a middle-class lifestyle, but sinking into poverty instead.

"Will 400,000 unemployed college graduates all meekly accept unpaid internships or flip hamburgers at minimum wage to pay off impossibly burdensome debt? No. A portion will inevitably become protesters.

"Every spring, more will join them from the next cohort of 400,000 unemployed graduates. Some will be embittered, and having nothing, will have nothing to lose. They will man the barricades and be the militants of a larger movement of increasingly impoverished working-class Americans."

So now we have the Left Blaming the Right for the high Cost of University Educations. Universities Ran by Liberals, Staffed by Tenured Union Professors, and they blame the Right for High Costs.

I swear there is no end to the Utter lack of Honest from the left.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain the occupy losers are not made up of college graduates who are profoundly employable.

I find it completely amusing that you post this on the day we have been talking about how little support Occupy has gotten lately.

Of course, I realize they will attempt to step it up for the convention.
How much of your information comes from corporate media?
I'm guessing all of it.
Maybe that's why you are so ignorant?

InterOccupy | Connect. Collaborate. Organize.

In other words, you have absolutely nothing to discusss.

If you are for occupy, then make it a good movement. I am skeptical that you can.

Take it from me kid, OCC has NOTHING on the Demonstrators and Movements of the 60's.

from what I've read anarchist, idiots, and radical lefties had alot to do with the movements of the 60s too.

Isnt it interesting that one of the few movements that succeed, MLKs, was a Christian based one?

Occupy is.

Ooook I have no idea what your basing this claim on but hey what ever gets you through the day.:cuckoo:

Last edited:
Occupy is.

LHL(laugh harder loser)

Our economy doesn't need 800,000 college grads a year. We need more skilled labor. Our problem is the gross devaluation of labor - the very people that create wealth.

most of the people I met at Occupy site were middle class, working poor, struggling, some wealthy with a social conscience.

very few were street people, bums, etc... but those ones were more visual and vocal. so what?

make the mistake of thinking the support for the Occupy movement was based on the often crazy demands of the general assemblies, and you err badly.

the national dialogue went from Tea Party idiocies and spending cuts, to what we have today...a more balanced discussion of wealth, social and government policies, financial realities, and more...

LHL(laugh harder loser)

Our economy doesn't need 800,000 college grads a year. We need more skilled labor. Our problem is the gross devaluation of labor - the very people that create wealth.
And maybe private capitalists in the US need some competition?
WPA II?

Occupy is.

Ooook I have no idea what your basing this claim on but hey what ever gets you through the day.:cuckoo:
Do you have any idea of "Foreclosuregate"?

"The surface scandal is about fraudulent business practices and a systematic assault on homeowners by lenders, servicers, and the legal system. A much broader picture must be viewed in order to understand the utter contempt that the ruling elite has toward citizens and the depraved tactics used to express that contempt, all to serve endless desire to accumulate more money and power."

Unless you're among the ruling elite, you might want to get ahead of this curve before it's too late.
A 500 year-old Ponzi scheme based on the private creation of money at interest may be about the blow up.
Occupy and Wall Street both recognize that much.
Why don't you?

from what I've read anarchist, idiots, and radical lefties had alot to do with the movements of the 60s too.

Isnt it interesting that one of the few movements that succeed, MLKs, was a Christian based one?

At the Core of any Movement like this you will find those Groups. The Difference is in the 60's you had much more Main stream Popular Support for the Demonstrations. the Level of Participation was massively bigger than OCC even when they were at their height, Which they are no where near now.

OCC today is nothing more than the Same Creeps that show up to throw Fire Bombs at the G8 Like Clock Work. It simply does not have the Popular Support they had in the 60's.

That's not to say that a lot of people do not understand what they say about the 1% vs the 99% but agreeing with a small part of the Message does not mean people support their Actions, or their entire Agenda, which is much more than just that issue.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back