Occupy Will Eclipse the Activism of the 1960s

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Are you ready for Wall Street meets Jim Crow in the Gulf of Tonkin?
Occupy is.

"A tsunami of citizen activism, initiated by Occupy Wall Street, is poised to wash over American society.

"The coming battle to correct the grotesquely unequal distribution of wealth and power in this country is likely to have an even more profound impact on our society than what occurred in the 1960s.

"Fifty years ago, a few white students like me were outraged to find that the sugarcoated view of America we had been taught in the 50s did not match reality.

"The notions of justice and human rights we had internalized motivated our actions, and as idealists, we opposed the Jim Crow laws in the South and the needless killing in Southeast Asia.

"Young activists taking to the streets today harbor no illusions about justice in America. They are cynical, worldly wise and unemployed; many are weighed down by debt..."

"In 1958, when I entered the elite University of Chicago, annual tuition was $870. Inflation would make that $6,945 today. But tuition at the U of C this year is $43,851, more than six times as much, making crushing debt inevitable for most students."

The Aftermath of Occupy Will Surpass the Gains of 1960s Activism

Occupy is.

"A tsunami of citizen activism, initiated by Occupy Wall Street, is poised to wash over American society.

"The coming battle to correct the grotesquely unequal distribution of wealth and power in this country is likely to have an even more profound impact on our society than what occurred in the 1960s.

"Fifty years ago, a few white students like me were outraged to find that the sugarcoated view of America we had been taught in the 50s did not match reality.

"The notions of justice and human rights we had internalized motivated our actions, and as idealists, we opposed the Jim Crow laws in the South and the needless killing in Southeast Asia.

"Young activists taking to the streets today harbor no illusions about justice in America. They are cynical, worldly wise and unemployed; many are weighed down by debt..."

"In 1958, when I entered the elite University of Chicago, annual tuition was $870. Inflation would make that $6,945 today. But tuition at the U of C this year is $43,851, more than six times as much, making crushing debt inevitable for most students."

Really?

Where the hell are they?

Have they taken showers?

Occupy is.

Really?

Where the hell are they?

Have they taken showers?
The rich haven't...

"What's the most basic service banks provide? Borrow money and lend it out. You put your savings in a bank to hold in trust, and the bank agrees to pay you interest on it. Or you borrow money from the bank and you agree to pay the bank interest.

"How is this interest rate determined? We trust that the banking system is setting today's rate based on its best guess about the future worth of the money.

"And we assume that guess is based, in turn, on the cumulative market predictions of countless lenders and borrowers all over the world about the future supply and demand for the dough.

"But suppose our assumption is wrong.

"Suppose the bankers are manipulating the interest rate so they can place bets with the money you lend or repay them – bets that will pay off big for them because they have inside information on what the market is really predicting, which they're not sharing with you.

That would be a mammoth violation of public trust."

Not that slaves in the showers would notice...

The Wall Street Scandal of All Scandals

Murkins were fit, trim and seriously stoned in the sixties. Now they're fat, brainwashed and cowards on scrips(and eating garbage) that are 1000x more dangerous than the stuff we did.
See all the fat asses on Prozac ?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StFhvAIv3Js]The History of the Woodstock Festival - YouTube[/ame]

Dead hippies !
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ApdwmxXww]Carlos Santana/Eric Clapton - Jingo Live From Crossroads Guitar Festival 2004 - YouTube[/ame]

I find it completely amusing that you post this on the day we have been talking about how little support Occupy has gotten lately.

Of course, I realize they will attempt to step it up for the convention.

Q: "What's your Mockupation?"

Occutard answers: "Occupy!"

GALES of derisive laughter directed at the smelly useless fuckwit occupiers.
Have you sucked your local Koch today?

What is it with you guys on the left and gay sex today? What's wrong with just discussing actual topics instead of descending into crude, pathetic insults?

I seriously don't get it.

Q: "What's your Mockupation?"

Occutard answers: "Occupy!"

GALES of derisive laughter directed at the smelly useless fuckwit occupiers.
Have you sucked your local Koch today?

No, but clearly you never suck quite enough ass.

As Imus says, you just can't suck enough.

Occupy is a brain dead movement of fucking zombie pussy losers.

Occupy is.

LMAO !!:badgrin:

I know, that was my reaction too.

This thread deserves an award!

major_award_4.jpg

Murkins were fit, trim and seriously stoned in the sixties. Now they're fat, brainwashed and cowards on scrips(and eating garbage) that are 1000x more dangerous than the stuff we did.
See all the fat asses on Prozac ?
The History of the Woodstock Festival - YouTube
"But the difficulty in actually achieving economic reform leaves many skeptical that a new movement can succeed. Granted, true economic reform is a greater challenge than the battles for political and human rights that we waged in the 1960s.

"But the other side of that coin is that such a movement can have tremendous staying power because the economic conditions provoking it are unlikely to change and the supply of ready new protesters will not diminish."

Since rich bitches can't stop stealing for the same reason sharks can't stop swimming, Occupy and Whatever Comes Next will never run out of fresh recruits. Maybe one day the rich will fight the wars and pay the debts?

Could there be hope ?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQCo8Mu4PjY&feature=related]The Eagles - Hotel California Cover by Yana - YouTube[/ame]

I find it completely amusing that you post this on the day we have been talking about how little support Occupy has gotten lately.

Of course, I realize they will attempt to step it up for the convention.
How much of your information comes from corporate media?
I'm guessing all of it.
Maybe that's why you are so ignorant?

InterOccupy | Connect. Collaborate. Organize.

Forum List

Back