Occupy Will Eclipse the Activism of the 1960s

It's weird that everyone here talks about OWS as some sort of organized movement.

It was just an ad hoc collection of disgruntled people.

It had a significant political impact in the first few weeks, but fizzled out (and degenrated) due to lack of leadership and direction.

It IS still significant in that it does indicate that there's a huge amount of pissed off people in this country - and that their anger is against the financial & business sector - not the government.

I don't expect OWS to continue as an organization. But there will be others, perhaps with better leadership and defined goals.

This is exactly on target.

All the OWS noise is a bunch of whining. But you never hear any solutions. Just bitching.

The people know they are being fucked, but have no clue exactly what to do about it because they don't fully understand the depth and scope of the problems. All we get in the way of solutions is "tax the rich more", which would solve nothing.

Last edited:
"In 1958, when I entered the elite University of Chicago, annual tuition was $870. Inflation would make that $6,945 today. But tuition at the U of C this year is $43,851, more than six times as much, making crushing debt inevitable for most students."

Almost no one pays full price.
How many are paying more than $6945?

It's weird that everyone here talks about OWS as some sort of organized movement.

It had a significant political impact in the first few weeks, but fizzled out (and degenrated) due to lack of leadership and direction.

It IS still significant in that it does indicate that there's a huge amount of pissed off people in this country - and that their anger is against the financial & business sector - not the government.

I don't expect OWS to continue as an organization. But there will be others, perhaps with better leadership and defined goals.

All the OWS noise is a bunch of whining. But you never hear any solutions. Just bitching.

The people know they are being fucked, but have no clue exactly what to do about it because they don't fully understand the depth and scope of the problems.

The people don't have the power to do anything about it. We may as well face up to it.

Are you ready for Wall Street meets Jim Crow in the Gulf of Tonkin?
Occupy is.

"A tsunami of citizen activism, initiated by Occupy Wall Street, is poised to wash over American society.

"The coming battle to correct the grotesquely unequal distribution of wealth and power in this country is likely to have an even more profound impact on our society than what occurred in the 1960s.

"Fifty years ago, a few white students like me were outraged to find that the sugarcoated view of America we had been taught in the 50s did not match reality.

"The notions of justice and human rights we had internalized motivated our actions, and as idealists, we opposed the Jim Crow laws in the South and the needless killing in Southeast Asia.

"Young activists taking to the streets today harbor no illusions about justice in America. They are cynical, worldly wise and unemployed; many are weighed down by debt..."

"In 1958, when I entered the elite University of Chicago, annual tuition was $870. Inflation would make that $6,945 today. But tuition at the U of C this year is $43,851, more than six times as much, making crushing debt inevitable for most students."

The Aftermath of Occupy Will Surpass the Gains of 1960s Activism

You absolutely NAILED your parallel between the Occupy Wall Street "movement" and the 1960s "activism".

In the 1960s, this country was inundated with "activists" and "protestors" and "movements" that consisted of anarchists, unemployed losers, junkies, young people who lacked basic personal hygiene skills, and people who believed in little more than "sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll".

Now, the ghosts of the 1960s are back, and it has a cool-sounding name, "Occupy Wall Street".

But, this time around, they are funded by leftist sympathizers and their illegal behaviors are being tolerated by many municipalities, at the expense of law-abiding citizens.

Last edited:

The people know they are being fucked, but have no clue exactly what to do about it because they don't fully understand the depth and scope of the problems.

The people don't have the power to do anything about it.

That's because they are stupid. If they took the time to study the issues that matter instead of gorging on "reality" TV, they would know exactly what to do and how to do it.

Let's hope so--Corruption outta be the #1 political issue this time around. The economy cannot recover if the corrupt are allowed to lead it.

Sadly, I dont think most people are worrired about corruption. If they were, they would be eliminating corruption from their own lives first.

Avatar--that's one of the wackiest things I've heard come outta you.

It's my observation, wacky or not, I dont see much evidence that people care about corruption.

If people cared about corruption, would they be dishonest? Or would they seek to tell the truth in all things?
If people cared about corruption, would they be proud? Or would they humble themselves?
If people cared about corruption, would they continually insult one another? Would they berate and mock others? Would they let their language become crude and full of swearing? Or would they be upright, civil, edifying and uplifting?
Would they continually blame others, or would they accept responsibility for their own actions?
Would they ignore principle when it's convenient, or stand by whats right regardless of how hard it is

Maybe I just see more of it because of my profession, but the world is a very corrupt place. People dont seem very worried about not being corrupt, even those who should be lifting people higher.

Our Founders put their firm reliance in Divine Providence and pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor for what they beleived in. And very few nowadays are willing to do that.

The people don't have the power to do anything about it. We may as well face up to it.

People always have more power than they realize. Sometimes all we can do is small and simple things, but through small and simple things, great things are brought to pass.

283607_332610810158330_2084995989_n.jpg

I believe you are absolutely right.

Before the Occupy movement there was nothing. The movement occurred almost spontaneously. It went directly to the source of the problem, Wall Street, and it occurred as a surprise, even to itself.

The movement wasn't really a movement but an eruption that inevitably attracted a lot of offensive degenerates and crazies to its disorganized ranks, which infected and weakened it. The undisciplined, directionless gathering became stagnant and offensive to public perception, which gave the financially-based power structure supportable cause to respond with sufficient brute force to crush it.

Occupy was nothing but what it left behind is definitely something which, when it reappears, won't make the same mistakes.

Those right-wing Tories who believe the energy that gave rise to the Occupy movement has simply vanished are urged to read a little bit about the early stages of every major revolution in history. They all began exactly like OWS.

The spontaneous movement that was planned for months before hand.

The problem isnt wall street. Heck, it's not even the government. The problem is the people. We have allowed ourselves to be corrupted and we cant even see that.

Did you ever consider the problem might be people who accept loans they have no business accepting as a rule if you only bring in 50,000 a year taking out a loan for a 200,000 dollar house is a disaster in the making let's no forget those who took adjustable rate mortgages and never considered the down side of that. The use of common sense can make most problems very easy to avoid more people should try it.
Do yourself a favor and make use of the URL in my signature line. Take the time to learn how millions of Americans were lured and deceived by crooked lenders to enter mortgage agreements they were duped into believing they could meet.

The fact that there have been no investigations and prosecutions which undoubtedly would have hundreds of these Shylocks imprisoned for their criminal conduct does not mean there has been no criminal conduct. It simply is a reflection of Barack Obama's principal failure as President. It was up to him to direct his Attorney General to take action, which he has not done.

Don't be so eager to blame those hopeful working class Americans who have been driven into poverty by the new Robber Barons. Educate yourself as to who are guilty of driving our economy into near collapse.

The people know they are being fucked, but have no clue exactly what to do about it because they don't fully understand the depth and scope of the problems. All we get in the way of solutions is "tax the rich more", which would solve nothing.
OWS is best described as the first manifestation of emerging dissent. Mistakes were made and the movement was crushed. But the impetus remains and the next occurrence will be much more refined.

Re: your belief that a substantial tax increase on the rich will "solve nothing," what effect do you suppose the tax rate had on the period prior to and during the Depression (20s - 30s) and the period that followed (40s - 70s) which was the most prosperous period in our history? Do you think it was just coincidental?

usgr_chart3p31.png

More OWS activism is on the way? Awesome! We were running low on pot smoke, feces, sexual assault, vagrancy, and all manner of other childish, selfish behaviors. When will the whiners come to a city near me?

Are you ready for Wall Street meets Jim Crow in the Gulf of Tonkin?
Occupy is.

"A tsunami of citizen activism, initiated by Occupy Wall Street, is poised to wash over American society.

"The coming battle to correct the grotesquely unequal distribution of wealth and power in this country is likely to have an even more profound impact on our society than what occurred in the 1960s.

"Fifty years ago, a few white students like me were outraged to find that the sugarcoated view of America we had been taught in the 50s did not match reality.

"The notions of justice and human rights we had internalized motivated our actions, and as idealists, we opposed the Jim Crow laws in the South and the needless killing in Southeast Asia.

"Young activists taking to the streets today harbor no illusions about justice in America. They are cynical, worldly wise and unemployed; many are weighed down by debt..."

The Aftermath of Occupy Will Surpass the Gains of 1960s Activism

This is meant as a joke right? This Occupy movement is totally insignificant.

Q: "What's your Mockupation?"

Occutard answers: "Occupy!"

GALES of derisive laughter directed at the smelly useless fuckwit occupiers.
Have you sucked your local Koch today?

What is it with you guys on the left and gay sex today? What's wrong with just discussing actual topics instead of descending into crude, pathetic insults?

I seriously don't get it.

They are just a little fixated. Talking about gay sex makes them believe they are adults.

I find it completely amusing that you post this on the day we have been talking about how little support Occupy has gotten lately.

Of course, I realize they will attempt to step it up for the convention.
How much of your information comes from corporate media?
I'm guessing all of it.
Maybe that's why you are so ignorant?

InterOccupy | Connect. Collaborate. Organize.

You do realize that your stupidity is - well - amusing and sad at the same time?

Wisconsin's Recall Election was the canary in the mine shaft for this style of protesting. The American public is fed up with tantrum tossing brats demanding a free ride because they can scream loudly and make anyone's life more difficult if they come within ear shot.

They're making a spectacle of themselves and an embarrassment to to the world that no one respects any more. In the 1960's, we didn't know any better about enabling. Now we do, and with the Great Depression 2.0 on, nobody's going to put up with it for long.

Well said.

Ooook I have no idea what your basing this claim on but hey what ever gets you through the day.:cuckoo:
Do you have any idea of "Foreclosuregate"?

"The surface scandal is about fraudulent business practices and a systematic assault on homeowners by lenders, servicers, and the legal system. A much broader picture must be viewed in order to understand the utter contempt that the ruling elite has toward citizens and the depraved tactics used to express that contempt, all to serve endless desire to accumulate more money and power."

Unless you're among the ruling elite, you might want to get ahead of this curve before it's too late.
A 500 year-old Ponzi scheme based on the private creation of money at interest may be about the blow up.
Occupy and Wall Street both recognize that much.
Why don't you?
Did you ever consider the problem might be people who accept loans they have no business accepting as a rule if you only bring in 50,000 a year taking out a loan for a 200,000 dollar house is a disaster in the making let's no forget those who took adjustable rate mortgages and never considered the down side of that. The use of common sense can make most problems very easy to avoid more people should try it.

You expect people to use common sense? How dare you? Don't you think the state should think and provide for them all?

Forum List

Back