Obesity's price tag

This steady drumbeat of reporting on foods and obesity reminds me of the early rumblings of the tobacco fascists.

Can class action suits against Jack in the Box and McD's (Big Food) be far off?

Obama knows best.

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- CS Lewis

There's so many factors that are involved in our Country's increasing obesity problem, that it's hardly worth your guys' little partisan quips at each other.

Comb through the bi-partisan factors.

-Poor Public Education.
-Poor food in Public Schools.
-Capitalism.
-Deadbeat/Walkout parents. (druggies, alcoholics, etc. included)

Burp.

Attachments

• $murkinfatty.jpg
    $murkinfatty.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 62

-Poor Public Education.
-Capitalism.

3 out of 4.

Yea because you're conservative, you get to deny reality? No.

Capitalism leads to innovation. Innovation leads to laziness. Laziness leads to obesity. Think about the remote control, for instance. Garage door openers. Self-propelled lawn mowers. The innovation in capitalism is showing a trend toward convenience, and convenience lends itself to laziness.

Again, because you're a right wing propogandist, doesn't mean you get to deny truth.

Also, fast food tastes great (good product), and is well marketed, hence there's a McDonalds within a few miles of anyone breathing almost. That's pure capitalism at work.

It's a factor. Reality.

Two words, natural selection.
If we, as a nation would stop interfering with natural selection there would be lots less fat people.
Heart attacks, strokes, diabetes would take care of the problem, as well as getting stuck in small spaces.......

Where else on the planet are historically poor demographics (as defined by government standards) obese?

Can we say that the government model of eradicating poverty has failed, and can we say that no person who is obese is poor?

I think it's safe to say that in the United States, it's cheaper to eat fattening foods. When everthing purchased off the shelf in supermarkets contains sugar or corn syrup, loaded up with salt and mystery ingredients, people will get fat unless they exercise it off. And we all know the only exercise most of us get is walking from the kitchen chair to the recliner or computer chair. The only "blame" I have for the shocking statistics is that we have allowed this to happen. The articles simply point out that we're really in trouble if it continues. But every time even partial solutions are offered it's OH NO!!! DON'T TAKE AWAY MY 'RIGHT' TO BE FAT IF I WANT TO BE!!!

i agree the groc. stores sale crappy foods that make you fat on sale...but anything healthy you pay alot.organic for one.i'am so glad i got off that road.i dont eat meat or fried foods or junk.and my fatness is slowly disapearing.

Good for you. I have two neices, one 16 and one 12 and they are HUGE (and white). They're now seeing the effect of being obese as their classmates distance themselves, and a slew of other emotional problems that get added to an already slew of hormonal changes in teenagers. Nobody is even discussing the mental health aspect of obesity.

Who knows? Maybe fat will be the norm eventually. It could actually create jobs. Businesses would have to retool their assembly lines to accommodate fat people on airplanes, in automobiles, strengthen beds, build more recliners built for two. Homes would be built with new building codes calling for wider hallways and entrances, requiring new architects to be employed. Acht! The benefits are ENDLESS!!

There's so many factors that are involved in our Country's increasing obesity problem, that it's hardly worth your guys' little partisan quips at each other.

But like every other foreseen crisis, conservatives will bury their heads in the sand and only be reactive when it hits their own wallets.

I've been seeing the horrific numbers for quite sometime, but that story about the $10,000 gurnies was a shocker and brings it front-center exactly how serious this problem is. But do they care? Nah...

-Poor Public Education.
-Capitalism.

3 out of 4.

Capitalism leads to innovation. Innovation leads to laziness. Laziness leads to obesity. Think about the remote control, for instance. Garage door openers. Self-propelled lawn mowers. The innovation in capitalism is showing a trend toward convenience, and convenience lends itself to laziness.

Again, because you're a right wing propogandist, doesn't mean you get to deny truth.

Also, fast food tastes great (good product), and is well marketed, hence there's a McDonalds within a few miles of anyone breathing almost. That's pure capitalism at work.

It's a factor. Reality.

Capitalism also leads to light as air running shoes (including my size 13's) Pilaties classes available in every city, Yoga, Strollers built for joggers, exercise bikes, home weight training systems, a diet book industry, exercise balls, electronic cardio monitors, treadmills, Bowflex, rock climbing, aqua aerobics, home gyms, stairclimbers, rowing machines, elliptical trainers, nautilus, walking/running/biking/hiking paths/trails, roller blades, ice skating rinks, bowling alleys, golf courses, putt putt golf, swimming pools, skiing resorts, surfboarding, beach vollyball, home weightlifting equitment, basketball/tennis courts etc etc etc

There are private places for all of the above.

There are public places for all of the above, paid for though the wealth generated by our partly capitalistic system.

On edit:

Capitalism is not a health problem. lol

Last edited:
This steady drumbeat of reporting on foods and obesity reminds me of the early rumblings of the tobacco fascists.

Can class action suits against Jack in the Box and McD's (Big Food) be far off?

San Jose CA is already trying to outlaw Happy Meals.

Capitalism also leads to light as air running shoes (including my size 13's) Pilaties classes available in every city, Yoga, Strollers built for joggers, exercise bikes, home weight training systems, a diet book industry, exercise balls, electronic cardio monitors, treadmills, Bowflex, rock climbing, aqua aerobics, home gyms, stairclimbers, rowing machines, elliptical trainers, nautilus, walking/running/biking/hiking paths/trails, roller blades, ice skating rinks, bowling alleys, golf courses, putt putt golf, swimming pools, skiing resorts, surfboarding, beach vollyball, home weightlifting equitment, basketball/tennis courts etc etc etc

There are public places for all of the above, paid for though the wealth generated by our partly capitalistic system.

On edit:

Also, the more money people earn (and keep) the more they are able to afford healthy foods.

3 out of 4.

It's a factor. Reality.

On edit:

Your argument is that since Capitalism can be a factor leading to fitness, it can't be a factor leading to obesity? That's kind of weak, man. To try and pretend that it's not a factor in the equation is pretty-much laughable.

3 out of 4.

It's a factor. Reality.

On edit:

^^ Classic. Nowhere can that be proven more untrue than a stroll around WalMart on any given day:

Memo to Tank: Perhaps a "study" should be done in a WalMart store to get a more accurate picture of ethnicity and obesity.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798&paged=2

And found in the whitest state:
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?s=Utah

What IS your point in posting this?

The ObamaCare you support forces all of us to pay for the extraordinary care for the obese. Are they now going to be a target for rationed/denied care under the Berwick model?

That must be why we are all going to be forced to provide our BMI electronically to the government.

"Forced to provide our BMI"?

LMAO. It's not like it's your tax return and most clinics and hospitals routinely include it in vitals now.

And yes, preventing obesity is why they do it. It's responsible health maintenance.

Last edited:

It's a factor. Reality.

On edit:

Your argument is that since Capitalism can be a factor leading to fitness, it can't be a factor leading to obesity? That's kind of weak, man. To try and pretend that it's not a factor in the equation is pretty-much laughable.

Well it lacks the creativity of your anti-innovation argument though your contention was not only laughable, it's a laugh riot. (thanks for that) :clap2:

My actual argument was that Capitalism is not a heath problem. People have health problems (of the kind we are talking about) due to their own actions and lack of action.

It's a factor. Reality.

On edit:

^^ Classic. Nowhere can that be proven more untrue than a stroll around WalMart on any given day:

Memo to Tank: Perhaps a "study" should be done in a WalMart store to get a more accurate picture of ethnicity and obesity.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798&paged=2

And found in the whitest state:
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?s=Utah

Really? :lol:

Capitalism provides a wide variety of goods and services, both high end and low end, that people can choose to partake of and the proof AGAINST that truth is Wal Mart? :lol:

Yikes.

Forum List

Back