Obamanomics

The Keystone presser

"The Keystone pipeline isn't good for the economy. It won't create many jobs."

Immediately followed by

"What would create jobs is an infrastructure program."

Wow.

:clap:

Outstanding.

well, i'm pretty sure we're not thnking of the pipeline as OUR infrastructure.

our infrastructure is bridges, roads, trains, etc., all of which are in dire need of repair.

had they done a jobs problem in 2008, we'd be a lot better off.

that said, the keystone people just asked to withdraw their application. so I think that issue is pretty much done.

and yes, I get that you see the building of the pipeline as infrastructure and I get that the statement was inartful. :thup:

The Keystone presser

Immediately followed by

Wow.

Outstanding.
He's right. Keystone would help the Canadian economy and give the US a mere 40 or so jobs. Better to spend on ourselves, and that includes infrastructure of our own.

He's right. Keystone would help the Canadian economy and give the US a mere 40 or so jobs. Better to spend on ourselves, and that includes infrastructure of our own.

So infrastructure doesn't create jobs then?

Keystone would have been built by Americans. It goes across the United States.

our infrastructure is bridges, roads, trains, etc., all of which are in dire need of repair.

Pipelines are infrastructure.

In the United States.

I responded to that.

thanks. :thup:

it's about 40 permanent jobs in the US. and me? I think environmentally it was a train wreck.

List of pipeline accidents in the United States in the 21st century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So infrastructure doesn't create jobs then?

Keystone would have been built by Americans. It goes across the United States.
Last time this was in the news big it turned out that keystone would add about 40 jobs in the USA.

Why on earth would we want to build something for the Candians? That's just stupid.

In the United States.

I responded to that.

it's about 40 permanent jobs in the US. and me? I think environmentally it was a train wreck.

List of pipeline accidents in the United States in the 21st century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many "permanent jobs" does a road or a bridge create?

Zero.

Yet, you're saying we should invest in roads and bridges.

There are very few "permanent" jobs created by most infrastructure spending.

The jobs that are created by infrastructure are almost all temporary.

The reason why economists love infrastructure jobs is because of the multiplier effect they have. They don't love them because they are permanent.

Whether it is a bridge or a road or a building - or a pipeline! - the effects are similar.

In the United States.

I responded to that.

How many "permanent jobs" does a road or a bridge create?

Zero.

Yet, you're saying we should invest in roads and bridges.

There are very few "permanent" jobs created by most infrastructure spending.

The jobs that are created by infrastructure are almost all temporary.

The reason why economists love infrastructure jobs is because of the multiplier effect they have. They don't love them because they are permanent.

Whether it is a bridge or a road or a building - or a pipeline! - the effects are similar.

for me the objection is environmental. I linked why.

and I also said that I was fully aware the president's comment was inartful.

The Keystone presser

Immediately followed by

Wow.

Outstanding.

Possibly the dumbest thing a politician will say all year the guy is a moron.

In the United States.

I responded to that.

The transfer of oil via the railroad is damn scary, particularly through densely populated urban areas.

Truly, I'm stunned.

I wonder how many Obama supporters will not get it?

Weak.

Keystone is a single infrastructure project that won't lead to many jobs being created. So, what he said makes perfect sense.

Weak try, bro.

The State Department said that 42,000 jobs would have been created.

The State Department report does puts the total number of jobs at 42,100 -- but the definition of a job in this sense is a position filled for one year. This total reflects both jobs created directly as a result of construction and manufacturing for the pipeline -- about 3,900 annual positions over two years -- as well as spin-off jobs supported by construction workers who purchase materials for the project or spend their wages in the economy. Much of the construction work would come in four- or or eight-month stretches​

3 key Keystone XL questions answered

Forum List

Back