Obamacare.......the good stuff.

Paperwork, phone calls, call centers, holds, changing stories, misbills. Its horrendous and was not so for us prior. That is absolute fact, doesnt much matter what the fuck anyone's politics are, to me.

Do you have the same insurer that you had in the past?
Yes, and they had told us the plans shifted to the high deductibles because of the new laws. And my employer offers a different insurance than my wife's and is a huge deductible as well, except with mine my employer doesnt throw in for the deductible like hers does.

Then your employer is trying to save themselves a few bucks at your expense "because Obamacare." You might do better finding insurance on your own. Does your state have its own insurance exchange?

Paperwork, phone calls, call centers, holds, changing stories, misbills. Its horrendous and was not so for us prior. That is absolute fact, doesnt much matter what the fuck anyone's politics are, to me.

Yes, and they had told us the plans shifted to the high deductibles because of the new laws. And my employer offers a different insurance than my wife's and is a huge deductible as well, except with mine my employer doesnt throw in for the deductible like hers does.

Then your employer is trying to save themselves a few bucks at your expense "because Obamacare." You might do better finding insurance on your own. Does your state have its own insurance exchange?
my employer should be responsible for the new high deductibles and not the fucking law that made them common place? Man, hate to tell you this but - the problem is clearly the price of healthcare in general and obamacare didnt quite fix that did it? Look at your next itemized doctor bill - its pretty comic I assure you.

my employer should be responsible for the new high deductibles?

Your employer made that call because they wanted a cheaper premium. Yes, your employer is responsible for their own decisions.

Do yourself a favor. Start here:
Subsidy Calculator Widget

Then go to your state health exchange (if you're fortunate enough to have one) or the federal exchange and you'll find there are many choices of insurer and plan.

Or allow your employer to take advantage of you just so you can mutter about Obamacare. That's your choice.

my employer should be responsible for the new high deductibles?

Your employer made that call because they wanted a cheaper premium. Yes, your employer is responsible for their own decisions.

Do yourself a favor. Start here:
Subsidy Calculator Widget

Then go to your state health exchange (if you're fortunate enough to have one) or the federal exchange and you'll find there are many choices of insurer and plan.

Or allow your employer to take advantage of you just so you can mutter about Obamacare. That's your choice.
You wonder where the mentality comes from where an employer, one, WOULDNT want to save money, and TWO, still ignore this entire situation: high deductible plans werent a "thing" with either of our employers before this Law, and....NOW THEY ARE. Why? My best guess is the Law, but Im also dirty blonde and have been hit in the head a few times.

You wonder where the mentality comes from where an employer, one, WOULDNT want to save money, and TWO, still ignore this entire situation: high deductible plans werent a "thing" with either of our employers before this Law, and....NOW THEY ARE. Why? My best guess is the Law, but Im also dirty blonde and have been hit in the head a few times.

No, I don't wonder that an employer would try to provide health insurance on the cheap. Nor would I wonder that they'd blame it on the PPACA. What amazes me is how many employees are gullible enough to believe that what their employer is offering is the only choice, and who lack the curiosity to even look for alternatives.

Wait till next year when your employer tells you the company's no longer offering you any insurance.

No, I don't wonder that an employer would try to provide health insurance on the cheap. Nor would I wonder that they'd blame it on the PPACA. What amazes me is how many employees are gullible enough to believe that what their employer is offering is the only choice, and who lack the curiosity to even look for alternatives.

Wait till next year when your employer tells you the company's no longer offering you any insurance.
umm, my wife's HR manager is a close friend of our family - basically is family. We went over this extensively with her bud.

umm, my wife's HR manager is a close friend of our family - basically is family. We went over this extensively with her bud.

An HR manager can only offer what the company offers. Sometimes you can find a better deal outside of the company's plan...but only if you're willing to try.

An HR manager can only offer what the company offers. Sometimes you can find a better deal outside of the company's plan...but only if you're willing to try.
I have a very pointed question for you, what did Obamacare do to address healthcare costs?? My best friends father smokes ciggs. At his annual check up he said this ensued: Doc: do you smoke? Him: yes. Doc: want to quit? Him: no. Itemized bill: $45.00, smoking consultation. Oh and my own bills are fucking HILARIOUS, too.

I have a very pointed question for you, what did Obamacare do to address healthcare costs?? My best friends father smokes ciggs. At his annual check up he said this ensued: Doc: do you smoke? Him: yes. Doc: want to quit? Him: no. Itemized bill: $45.00, smoking consultation. Oh and my own bills are fucking HILARIOUS, too.

See Post #7.

GT....

There is so much misinformation about what the ACA does and doesn't do......that I couldn't possibly address your specific issue without knowing a lot more.

Health insurance in this nation is not designed to provide people with services at the lowest possible cost. It is based on a for profit system of delivering health care.

What the ACA did, simply, was to set up a minimum standard for preventive care, end exclusions due to preexisting conditions and force insurers to cover medical costs without arbitrary limits. It also provides subsidies so more people can get some skin in the game and raised the age that a person can stay on his or her parent's plan.

Any plan changes that don't violate these very simple and hardly overreaching policies of the ACA are done at the will of the insurer....and that is where your ire ought to be directed. These fuckers are in it for the money. And they will tell you anything to make you keep paying up.

You seem to have experienced a hike in your deductible. That's on the insurer and the private health care industry. Still....if you get a serious illness.....that deductible will look like peanuts compared to what that insurer will have to cover moving forward. Also...take a look at the historical increases in premiums and deductibles prior to the ACA. She went up every year without fail.

Look to the rest of the free world for answers. The health care industry here has very powerful lobbyists....and they made sure that we wouldn't even talk about single payer......Medicare for all. That is the method of reducing health care costs.....and it means that the profit motive is essentially stripped from the process. As it should be.

Question. Have you ever gone to healthcare.gov to just look at the plans that are available to you if you decide to get your own insurance? If not...please do so. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Final note. You have expressed an interest in striking out on your own in some business venture. That would make you a person seeking insurance on the open market. The ACA makes that possible for millions of entrepreneurs who used to be shit out of luck.

Peace.

This is an honest appraisal from the article:

Unfortunately, the good stuff and the bad taxes are inseparable. The law is a three-legged stool. The ban on discriminating against people with preexisting conditions only works if you require everyone to join the insurance risk pool. And the mandate that everyone obtain health insurance only makes sense if subsidies are available to make it universally affordable. Subsidies cost money, and that means taxes — taxes that lots of people don't like.

Many employers do what they need to do in order to meet several agendas. That means providing quality benefits that don't break the bank so they can retain employees.

There are some who don't get the connection or are so institutionalized that they can't get it.

Not every employer is out to screw his employees.

Many employers do what they need to do in order to meet several agendas. That means providing quality benefits that don't break the bank so they can retain employees.

There are some who don't get the connection or are so institutionalized that they can't get it.

Agreed, but they should level with their employees and tell them what you've just said there, not "It's Obama's fault."

Agreed, but they should level with their employees and tell them what you've just said there, not "It's Obama's fault."

Obamcare has raised people's premiums.

That's a fact.

Whey you come clean on that, we'll have a starting point.

That's a fact.

Why does it seem like you think premiums didn't get raised by double digit percentages every year in the decade that preceded the ACA's enactment? Is that on purpose?

That's a fact.

Why does it seem like you think premiums didn't get raised by double digit percentages every year in the decade that preceded the ACA's enactment? Is that on purpose?

Because we haven't addressed them.

Premiums were going up. They continue to go up.

And what is worse is that you get less care for your dollar.

Except for the lower income folks.

Seems like you could have fixed that problem without f**king up the system in total.

That's a fact.

Seems like you could have fixed that problem without f**king up the system in total.

Nope. Much more care for the dollar. Not even close. Sorry.

That's a fact.

Nope. Much more care for the dollar. Not even close. Sorry.

I would agree.

Not sure what that has to do with my challenging that graph.

BTW: This is a government study. I won't say it isn't true, but I am highly suspicious of anything the government does that proves a government program.

You implied millions gaining coverage is "meaningless" because they aren't benefiting from the insurance. Obviously they are.

And yes, the CDC tracks this. It's not a conspiracy.

People with private insurance - the large majority of those in working families - saw much less of an improvement than people with government coverage. The finding also held true for middle-class households.

Christ, we're quibbling over the magnitude of the improvement families have experienced and this is supposed to be an indictment of the ACA?

But why did we need to screw up the health care system to get this done ?

The system is not screwed up. Cost growth remains below the historical average, coverage is at an all time high, quality has been steadily improving, and the system itself has been transitioning to one designed to actually preserve and restore health. You can exhale, things are okay.

Forum List

Back