Obama was wrong - 14,000 people do not lose Health Insurance every day

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Actually, the number of people who lose Health Insurance a day is on average 15,238 a day.

PolitiFact | Obama claims 14,000 lose health insurance every day

Holahan and his co-author, using a baseline of 4.6 percent unemployment in 2007, calculated that 2.6 million people would lose coverage if the unemployment rate climbed to 7 percent; 3.7 million if it went to to 8 percent; 4.8 million at 9 percent; and 5.8 million at 10 percent. The estimates took into account people who lost their jobs but then switched to a spouse’s plan or extended their coverage through COBRA, the federal law that guarantees people who lose their job can still get continued health coverage.

Applying Holahan's calculations to the actual rise in unemployment from November 2008 to June 2009, we came up with 3.2 million people losing health coverage, or an average of 15,238 per day, so it is close to the 14,000 Obama cited.

:eusa_whistle:

Sorry Republicans for bringing up your hopes, and dashing them. :redface:

Last edited:
COBRA makes a limited kind of sens for those who've made enough to pay for it while unemployed.

Not a clue what percentage of workers losing their jobs pay for COBRA, but I'm betting its a very small percentage of all those who lose their jobs.

Health care saving plans?

Are you serious?

Who the fuck makes enough money to save for that heart attack or major health problem that sooner or later we all experience?

Maybe pne out of a thousand people?

COBRA makes a limited kind of sens for those who've made enough to pay for it while unemployed.

Not a clue what percentage of workers losing their jobs pay for COBRA, but I'm betting its a very small percentage of all those who lose their jobs.

Are you serious?

Who the fuck makes enough money to save for that heart attack or major health problem that sooner or later we all experience?

That, and the whole other list of flaws with HSAs. The #1 being if you aren't a healthy person, you're fucked.

Are you serious?

Very few people can pay for homes, cars, and education out-of-pocket either...So what??

I don't believe he is merely mistaken but lying outright, a-la that whopper he told the other day about doctors making decisions based upon fee schedules.

Did you even bother to read the OP?

Are you serious?

ETA. $276 per month here for a family of 4, a 40 year old male,a 38 year old female and 2 kids,$3000 deductible.

Gives me an incentive to get healthy and COBRA is cost prohibitive to most. Check on your full premium cost at work if you have group, I bet it will amaze you.

Last edited:
What does the OP have to do with the fact that the prez is a serial liar??....That he allegedly missed the number on the low side is irrelevant.

Is all you care about is political grandstanding in this situation? Honestly. :eusa_eh:

What does the OP have to do with the fact that the prez is a serial liar??....That he allegedly missed the number on the low side is irrelevant.

Is all you care about is political grandstanding in this situation? Honestly. :eusa_eh:
Fine...Let's go at this from a different angle.

What if 15,000 people lost their company cars or 30 days paid vacation every day??

Fine...Let's go at this from a different angle.

What if 15,000 people lost their company cars or 30 days paid vacation every day??

I'm pretty sure the company car is a reward for being such a great employee. The difference between a company car's and being able to afford such expensive treatment are two different things.

Yeah, why is it that the left thinks they are "Entitled" to anything? You are entitled to die, and everything else you must make for yourself. Nobody owes you jackshit.

Yeah, why is it that the left thinks they are "Entitled" to anything? You are entitled to die, and everything else you must make for yourself. Nobody owes you jackshit.

:lol: That statement made me laugh. What about this?

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We suddenly don't have these things Soaring?

:lol: That statement made me laugh. What about this?

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We suddenly don't have these things Soaring?
Wow.......Just wow.

You have a right to peruse it....Not force others to give it to you.

Forum List

Back