Obama to Tax Us 1% More at the Gas Pump!

Of course the headline doesn't read like this... It tells you that BP is being charged 1% more but we all know who is going to be paying for it... Well except for maybe some liberals on here...

Barack Obama plans to punish BP with tax hike as Gulf spill worsens - Times Online

Jeezus, when will people start doing some simple fact-checking instead of taking a screaming headline and running with it?

Obama's Oil Spill Bill Seeks $118 Million, Oil Company Tax Increase

...the bill would, for any single incident, raise the expenditure limitation for the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund from $1 billion to $1.5 billion and the cap on natural resource damage assessments and claims from $500 million to $750 million.

The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund ensures that there are sufficient resources available to pay for clean-up and damages associated with an oil spill.

In particular, the Trust Fund finances ongoing federal government activities in responding to the BP oil spill, and then provides the legal authority for the government to seek full reimbursement from the responsible party for these activities.

The proposed legislation would also raise the caps on liability for responsible parties.

While the bill does not state target caps, the White House said the administration looks forward to working with the Congress to develop levels for the various caps that provide for substantial, and proportional, increases.

The administration proposes to increase the tax that oil companies pay to finance the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund from eight cents per barrel to nine cents per barrel starting this year.

This increase in the oil spill liability tax moves forward a planned increase in 2017 of one cent per barrel, and sets a tax of 10 cents per barrel starting in 2017 to make sure that there is long-term oil industry financing for the Trust Fund.

Said Trust Fund was set up after the Valdez oil spill, which we've been paying into as taxpayers since that disaster!!! READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATTENTION PEOPLE: I live on the gulf coast in a resort/commercial/recreational fishing town. BP is actually showing themselves to be suprisingly
proactive in anticipation of the communities that are potentially threatened by the spill. Not only have they taken applications from over 15,000 boats owners (commercial/recreational charter boats) but they've already sent WRS-Compass, a safety company, to our community and offered the HAZMAT operations level clean -up class that is required by the EPA. I took the 8 hour class, along with about 150 other boat captains/mates, and amazingly, we're not whining about BP because we're smart enough to know that without oil, our boats don't leave the dock, and we don't make any money. Instead, we've come together as a community, IN PARTNERSHIP WITH BP, to figure out how to combat the problem long before it ever reaches our shores. BP is offering to pay $1500 to $2500 per boat/per day to put out and recover sorbent booms and other operational needs. So for all you idiot "lib's" who like to talk about having "skin in the game", we actually do and there's no fingerpointing going on here ideological dumbass's!! BP is already proven themselves prompt to us from filing claims to making sure we're prepared well in advance for what may be coming to our shores as well as doing what they can EXPIDITIOUSLY to help our local economy in the process!! So go back to your liberal talking points and shut up about something YOU don't have any "skin in the game in" retards!!

Oh fuck off you stupid piece of shit. WE, the American taxpayer, not just you Bubba Gump motherfuckers are going to have to pay to clean this shit up. So, who the fuck are you to say we don't have "skin the game"?
No, you fuck off idiot! I was responding to your ilk that claim BP is trying to shrug off their responsibility, and I happen to have firsthand experience that they're NOT! Why don't you address the subject matter directly instead of wetting your pants and having to resort to a juvenile namecalling rant that exposes your intellect, or lack thereof......

Aren't these YOUR words from YOUR original post:

So go back to your liberal talking points and shut up about something YOU don't have any "skin in the game in" retards!!

Go get 'em Bubba....

And of course that tax increase will be passed down to the consumers.

We wouldn't want consumers to actually have to pay for the consequences of using oil. I think only those living on the gulf coast should have to pay for this, obviously, for some reason, they should have to pay more.
Your first sentence was right on the money, then you digressed right back into stupidity. Keep that helmet strapped on tight and remember; DONT EAT THE CRAYONS!!!! ....

Oh fuck off you stupid piece of shit. WE, the American taxpayer, not just you Bubba Gump motherfuckers are going to have to pay to clean this shit up. So, who the fuck are you to say we don't have "skin the game"?
No, you fuck off idiot! I was responding to your ilk that claim BP is trying to shrug off their responsibility, and I happen to have firsthand experience that they're NOT! Why don't you address the subject matter directly instead of wetting your pants and having to resort to a juvenile namecalling rant that exposes your intellect, or lack thereof......

Aren't these YOUR words from YOUR original post:

So go back to your liberal talking points and shut up about something YOU don't have any "skin in the game in" retards!!

Go get 'em Bubba....
That's called a "statement",.... you must have missed that day...

Any cost of this will be passed to the consumer no matter how its paid for

Oh.Mi.Gawd.

The second thing posted by TM in one day which is very sensible.

Of course the costs will be passed on to consumers. At the end of the day, consumers pay for everything.

Any cost of this will be passed to the consumer no matter how its paid for

I think we ought to eliminate all government regulation, to make it cheaper to the consumer. Do you have any idea how much money the consumer can save if the corporations are allowed to dump their toxic waste into lakes, streams, and rivers?
What?? Was that supposed to be for another thread? What the hell does that have to do with this thread?? Does your mother know what your doing??

Not surprisingly, the rightwing herd has slowly but surely managed en masse to align itself in defense of big oil on this one. Nice work, Limbaugh.

And, time and again, the left want to 'blame' before they have the evidence required to make an informed decision.

Less fucking ranting, more fucking critical thinking required by the left.

The OP wasn't assessing blame against anyone except the Obama administration for DARING to assess another one cent per gallon on ALL oil companies in order to sufficiently fund the existing Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund. How dare he?

Did I hear yesterday or earlier this week, that Congress is going to change the law on how much in damages a company must pay for a spill like this? After the Exxon Valdez spill it was a certain amount and how Congress wants that amount rised to $10b.

It also appeared that they expected this to be retroactive to this spill. How can you change a law after the fact and apply it to that party?

There was already an approved increase for the fund which wasn't to kick in until 2017. This just fast-tracks that. See my link.

Not surprisingly, the rightwing herd has slowly but surely managed en masse to align itself in defense of big oil on this one. Nice work, Limbaugh.

And, time and again, the left want to 'blame' before they have the evidence required to make an informed decision.

The OP wasn't assessing blame against anyone except the Obama administration for DARING to assess another one cent per gallon on ALL oil companies in order to sufficiently fund the existing Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund. How dare he?

One cent per BARREL of oil - that's 42 gallons. Not sure how much gas that becomes, but substantially more than a gallon.

Did I hear yesterday or earlier this week, that Congress is going to change the law on how much in damages a company must pay for a spill like this? After the Exxon Valdez spill it was a certain amount and how Congress wants that amount rised to $10b.

It also appeared that they expected this to be retroactive to this spill. How can you change a law after the fact and apply it to that party?

I guess that depends on how dearly they value that document that we refer to as the US Constitution. Evidence suggests that they don't value it much at all.

That is why I questioned the report. If true, that is my conclusion as well.

(AP) The White House is pushing to lift the limit on how much BP pays for the Gulf Coast oil spill.

Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Tuesday the administration wants to work with Congress to change a law that caps at $75 million BP's liability for economic damages like lost wages or dwindling tourist dollars.

BP PLC is responsible for all cleanup costs under the Oil Pollution Act, but Gibbs said that other costs could easily top $75 million.

Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez is co-sponsoring a measure that would raise the liability limit to $10 billion. Menendez also wants it to be made retroactive so it can apply to the huge spill that began after an oil rig exploded in the Gulf on April 20.

Gibbs said the administration supported Menendez's attempts to raise the limit retroactively.

White House: Lift Liability Cap for Gulf Spill - CBS News

Oh look, I didn't make it up. 0bama, the Constitutional law genius, wants to do just that. Impeach him! He is not standing up for the Constitution he is sworn to protect.

Well considering that 20 years after the Valdez spill that some local residents and fishermen still have not been compensated by Exxon-Mobil, I'd say some updates are needed post-haste. Whoever is responsible for this disaster is also responsible for the demise of the fishing industry all along the Gulf Coast, and many of those livelihoods will never return.

You are they CG

Only to a brain dead moron, TM. There is no 'they', people are individuals.

This from the person who said, 3 hours earlier:

"I guess that depends on how dearly they value that document that we refer to as the US Constitution. Evidence suggests that they don't value it much at all."

At least you ADMIT you're a braindead moron.

The one cent is the camel's nose in the tent. Does anyone believe it will stay at that level?

Okay, you tell me. If it is premature to decide that BP (and the affiliated companies, TransOcean etc.) is liable for this spill and its attendant damages,

what are the alternative possible explanations, i.e., those that would exonerate BP from liability?

List them.

I don't believe in speculating about responsibility. I judge on FACT, not theories or speculation. Interestingly, you are the one of the few people on this board who mentions any other liability other than BP.

That's probably because "BP" is quick and easy to say and write. :lol: Unlike Transoceanic and Halliburton, the latter of course being a naughty word in general.

ATTENTION PEOPLE: I live on the gulf coast in a resort/commercial/recreational fishing town. BP is actually showing themselves to be suprisingly
proactive in anticipation of the communities that are potentially threatened by the spill. Not only have they taken applications from over 15,000 boats owners (commercial/recreational charter boats) but they've already sent WRS-Compass, a safety company, to our community and offered the HAZMAT operations level clean -up class that is required by the EPA. I took the 8 hour class, along with about 150 other boat captains/mates, and amazingly, we're not whining about BP because we're smart enough to know that without oil, our boats don't leave the dock, and we don't make any money. Instead, we've come together as a community, IN PARTNERSHIP WITH BP, to figure out how to combat the problem long before it ever reaches our shores. BP is offering to pay $1500 to $2500 per boat/per day to put out and recover sorbent booms and other operational needs. So for all you idiot "lib's" who like to talk about having "skin in the game", we actually do and there's no fingerpointing going on here ideological dumbass's!! BP is already proven themselves prompt to us from filing claims to making sure we're prepared well in advance for what may be coming to our shores as well as doing what they can EXPIDITIOUSLY to help our local economy in the process!! So go back to your liberal talking points and shut up about something YOU don't have any "skin in the game in" retards!!

So today you're in the oil business. The other day you were an unemployment expert because you were running a small business with your finger on the pulse of America.

lol, what a phoney fuck you are.

What's the problem TM? The passing of a retroactive law raising BP's liability from $75 million to $10 billion not onerous enough for you?

"retroactive" ?

The spill is still happening, its not "retro-active". If BP doesn't want to have the liability limits raised on the oil they will be leaking after the law is passed, I guess they ought to stop the fucking leak then, right?

When the spill happened, the cap was $75m. That's a fact. No one can pretend otherwise. You fucking money grabbing little bastards just sitting there waiting to file your illegitimate claims make me sick. You're an embarrassment to your country.

Money grubbing? 75 million? So if a million American's livelihoods are damaged because of BP's fuck up,

they could get 75 bucks apiece.

Yes that is very greedy.

So today you're in the oil business. The other day you were an unemployment expert because you were running a small business with your finger on the pulse of America.

lol, what a phoney fuck you are.

I think he mentioned in the commercial fishing business. Oil in the Gulf effect that much? Looks like the egg-on-my face insert other foot into mouth person would be you NYC,

Forum List

Back