Obama to charge for healthcare for wounded soldiers?

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
I'm trying to read the headline that Drudge has which reads:

Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment...

Which basically means our soldiers have to pay for their healthcare.

Now I click over the link, here:

The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment

The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment

Again, same interpretation.

Now I read the first paragraph:

WASHINGTON, March 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The leader of the nation's largest veterans organization says he is "deeply disappointed and concerned" after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

So in this instance, Blue Cross/Blue Shield would have to pay the medical bills.

The article does not say who would pay the private health insurance company.

Do soldiers have to pay a monthly premium on their own health insurance right now? If so, would this save a soldier money? If they don't have to pay health insurance, and Obama's plan is going to force them to pay health insurance, well that's a TERRIBLE idea. Why should soldiers have to pay for private health insurance when private citizens will soon be able to pay for public health insurance.

This article isn't very well written and it needs more information.

i read it too- seems a weird mix -long on outrage and short on details - it looks like if a military person has insurance the VA will ask the insurance company to take on some of the cost-it looks like either way the soldier isnt paying

either their insurance pays or the VA pays- where people are getting that soldiers have to pay sounds like hackery.

i read it too- seems a weird mix -long on outrage and short on details - it looks like if a military person has insurance the VA will ask the insurance company to take on some of the cost-it looks like either way the soldier isnt paying

either their insurance pays or the VA pays- where people are getting that soldiers have to pay sounds like hackery.

the private insurance will turn around and increase the premiums the veteran pays. as the article mentioned, if the disability is significant enough; it could max out the veteran's total max payout and then the family will be without insurance.

There are enough veterans in Congress, both democrat and republican, to ensure the veteran is not having to pay for service related injuries.

the private insurance will turn around and increase the premiums the veteran pays. as the article mentioned, if the disability is significant enough; it could max out the veteran's total max payout and then the family will be without insurance.

There are enough veterans in Congress, both democrat and republican, to ensure the veteran is not having to pay for service related injuries.

Health insurance companies don't insure Veterans. They get their insurance through the government.

Is he right? Well, as usual, partly. I heard this a few minutes ago on rant radio. Shaun Hannity was going on about how Obama wants injured vets to pay for their own medical care.

As soon as I got home, I checked it out. This is the rest of the story:

Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan for Private Insurance to Pay for Service-Related Health Care

President Obama's plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs for the treatment of troops injured in service has angered veterans groups who say the government has a moral obligation to pay for service-related medical care.

OK, so now you and I both know all of of the story.

What do you think? Of course, asking injured vets to pay for their own care is unthinkable, unconscionable, and never going to happen. What about asking the insurance companies to kick in?

I say no, it's wrong to ask private insurance to pay for war related injuries. What do you say?

It is wrong, those men and women served this Country, regardless of how one feels about the conflicts we are in, these servicemen need to be cared for....by our Government!

Is he right? Well, as usual, partly. I heard this a few minutes ago on rant radio. Shaun Hannity was going on about how Obama wants injured vets to pay for their own medical care.

As soon as I got home, I checked it out. This is the rest of the story:

Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan for Private Insurance to Pay for Service-Related Health Care

President Obama's plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs for the treatment of troops injured in service has angered veterans groups who say the government has a moral obligation to pay for service-related medical care.

OK, so now you and I both know all of of the story.

What do you think? Of course, asking injured vets to pay for their own care is unthinkable, unconscionable, and never going to happen. What about asking the insurance companies to kick in?

I say no, it's wrong to ask private insurance to pay for war related injuries. What do you say?
that is essentially saying that the vets have to pay for it themselves, since they have to pay for that private medical insurance

Health insurance companies don't insure Veterans. They get their insurance through the government.

Some of them do have private health insurance. Some are National Guard who are on leave from jobs that provide it. Some have spouses whose insurance covers them.

Health insurance is not like car insurance that increases when you have a claim. The company isn't going to increase just the veteran's premiums, but all of the premiums for everyone.

What could happen is that the veteran could max out his coverage. Most insurance plans have a lifetime cap of two million or so, and that much could easily be reached with a major injury requiring rehab. Were that to happen, then there would be no coverage for subsequent claims.

The question I have is, how did the Obama administration come up with such a stupid idea? For one thing, it doesn't have a snowball's chance of passing. For another, even if it did, it wouldn't make a huge financial difference to the government. For a third, it just makes him look bad, look even more anti military than he already is perceived as being, and just plain makes people mad. It also gives his opponents ammunition to make the proposal look even worse than it actually is.

Dumb idea, dumb!

As a former soldier I can tell you that there is a small amount <$100 taken out of military pay checks for health care, but as a disabled vet I can tell you that, for now, vets don't have to pay for health insurance as long as you are medically retired with a disability rating of 30% or higher. If you are given a rating of 0-20 you have to pay a deductible with your medical care.

Now I know there will be questions about the 0% rating so I will explain it now. A 0% rating is given to someone with a (non-service disqualifying) pre-existing condition that was made worse or aggravated in line of duty.

Now...On to the topic at hand. When I heard about our fearless leader's latest anti-military blunder I am not exaggerating when I say that I had to hold back tears and suppress the growing lump in my throat. I just cant believe that our president would turn his back on all of my fellow vets and I. I say this knowing that he has never had the absolute best interest of the military in mind, but I never thought it would go this far. I have had several friends fall in the name of their country, and it disgusts me to think that this is the mindset of the man that sends down the final orders. Especially when I read other articles that inform us that "The Mexican consul in Los Angeles proudly announced that nearly 300,000 Mexicans in the area have benefited from his government’s health referral program." Yes these are "MEXICANS" not Mexican-Americans. That means immigrants. So the government is willing to pay for the care of someone that has no claim to anything in this country, but turns it's back on vets? What sense does that make?

Does anyone know of an active link to a video of this debacle? I live in D.C. and this being such a liberal area I would love to show a few voters how this whole "Change" thing is working out.
Thanks in advance.
Jimmy

R.I.P. SPC Joshua Givens -I love you bro.

As a former soldier I can tell you that there is a small amount <$100 taken out of military pay checks for health care, but as a disabled vet I can tell you that, for now, vets don't have to pay for health insurance as long as you are medically retired with a disability rating of 30% or higher. If you are given a rating of 0-20 you have to pay a deductible with your medical care.

Now I know there will be questions about the 0% rating so I will explain it now. A 0% rating is given to someone with a (non-service disqualifying) pre-existing condition that was made worse or aggravated in line of duty.

Now...On to the topic at hand. When I heard about our fearless leader's latest anti-military blunder I am not exaggerating when I say that I had to hold back tears and suppress the growing lump in my throat. I just cant believe that our president would turn his back on all of my fellow vets and I. I say this knowing that he has never had the absolute best interest of the military in mind, but I never thought it would go this far. I have had several friends fall in the name of their country, and it disgusts me to think that this is the mindset of the man that sends down the final orders. Especially when I read other articles that inform us that "The Mexican consul in Los Angeles proudly announced that nearly 300,000 Mexicans in the area have benefited from his government’s health referral program." Yes these are "MEXICANS" not Mexican-Americans. That means immigrants. So the government is willing to pay for the care of someone that has no claim to anything in this country, but turns it's back on vets? What sense does that make?

Does anyone know of an active link to a video of this debacle? I live in D.C. and this being such a liberal area I would love to show a few voters how this whole "Change" thing is working out.
Thanks in advance.
Jimmy

R.I.P. SPC Joshua Givens -I love you bro.

I'm pretty sure this was dropped, after a lot of flack from Vets AND Dems.

Obama mulls making vets foot bill for service injuries : World & Nation : The Buffalo News
Mar 17, 2009 ... WASHINGTON—The Obama administration is considering making veterans use private insurance to pay for treatment of combat and service-related ...

Dems Fuming Over White House Plan To Make Vets Pay For Service Injuries

Obama Drops Plan to Bill Veterans' Private Insurers - washingtonpost.com
Mar 18, 2009 ... President Obama yesterday abandoned a proposal to bill veterans' private insurance companies for the treatment at VA hospitals of ...

More privatizing tasks which reasonable belong in the PUBLIC sector, are we?

Bad idea.

Its was bad when we let Halliburton fight our wars for us, and its an even worse idea to expect private insurers to assume the task of taking care of our veterans.

Well right and wrong. A smart Military person has some kind of private insurance for his family and himself for when he gets out, cheaper now then later.

The VA and Tricare DO charge any private insurance BEFORE you use their coverage, always been that way. FOR RETIRED people. Active Duty MEMBERS are and always have been completely covered unless they CHOSE to go outside the military for treatment. This includes when the MILITARY sends them to private practice or out sources because of shortages in the area they are in.

Dependents do not have that coverage so again one might need private coverage.

Add some spouses may work and have coverage at work that would cover the military member if he were NOT already covered.

SO to make a long story short. BY forcing ACTIVE DUTY personnel to use private insurance, the Government is cheating them of their benefits and is possibly raising the cost of private insurance they need or getting them canceled.

IT does cost the ACTIVE DUTY member in that case.

Well right and wrong. A smart Military person has some kind of private insurance for his family and himself for when he gets out, cheaper now then later.

The VA and Tricare DO charge any private insurance BEFORE you use their coverage, always been that way. FOR RETIRED people. Active Duty MEMBERS are and always have been completely covered unless they CHOSE to go outside the military for treatment. This includes when the MILITARY sends them to private practice or out sources because of shortages in the area they are in.

Add some spouses may work and have coverage at work that would cover the military member if he were NOT already covered.

SO to make a long story short. BY forcing ACTIVE DUTY personnel to use private insurance, the Government is cheating them of their benefits and is possibly raising the cost of private insurance they need or getting them canceled.

Yup.

BAD idea.

How very ANTI-SOCIALIZED MEDICINE of them, eh?

Matthew is over 30% Disabled Veteran...the Va does cover his medical care if he can make it to the Veterans hospital which is 60 miles away from here and when we lived in Massachusetts the Va Hospital was 45 miles, neither were convenient...Matthew still used the facilities regarding his injuries sustained but regarding the rest of his healthcare, he tried to use our local doctors covered under the insurance that he took out with his employer....he paid about $300 a month himself for it and his company paid about $300 towards it...

In Massachusetts, starting about 7 years ago, the VA asked for matthew's private medical coverage card, for them to file any claims they could to the private insurance.

Here in Maine, the VA asked for the same thing, a copy of matthew's private insurance, this was 2 years ago when we moved here and he got his first appointment with the Maine VA.

I never had a problem with the VA asking for a copy of matthew's medical Insurance and using it where and if they could to recover some money.

I saw this as HELPING the VA and helping the veterans because this would give the VA more money to pay for other veterans if they could collect money from the private insurance some vets may be paying through their outside of Service jobs.

I also DID NOT SEE this as something the Private Health care coverage would not cover, or should not cover IF THE INSURANCE COMPANY ALREADY MADE THE AGREEMENT TO COVER PREEXISTING SICKNESSES OR INJURIES....which insurance coverage policies at new employers usually ALWAYS COVERS preexisting injuries or sicknesses...

As example, if a new hire has diabitis, the job insurance group policy would cover the new hire with all of his medical problems and pay for such going forward and THIS IS IN THE PRICE OF THE POLICY that the Company buys from the Insurance companies....and pays a higher price for this coverage from the insurance company to get this preexisting sickness coverage.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, why in the heck should the VA be left out? They are a hospital like any other hospital my husband chooses to go to for his injuries and if the Insurance my husband and his employer PAY FOR, would pay for my husband if he went to a private hospital for this health coverage why shouldn't the VA be reinbursed as all the other private hospitals would be? WHY SHOULD these private insurance companies not take the hit on medical cost of who they insured and of who is paying for them to cover them with their health care policy if the insurance company and Job's policy says they cover preexisting conditions?

I don't see a problem with doing such....not one itty bitty bit...

Care

Forum List

Back