VA To Force Vets To Pay?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Ok, money for Citi, GM, Wachovia, AIG, but heh, let's hit the vets?

Senators slam plan for wounded vets to use private insurance - CNN.com

Senators slam plan for wounded vets to use private insurance

Story Highlights
Obama team considering plan in which vets would use private insurance for wounds
No official proposal to create such a program has been announced publicly
Veterans organizations have been lobbying Congress to oppose the idea
Lawmakers say plan would be rejected if it goes to Congress
By Adam Levine
CNN
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

But the proposal would be "dead on arrival" if it's sent to Congress, Sen. Patty Murray, D-Washington, said....

would vets then get decent medical treatment? or would they continue to get the half ass treatment they have been getting? let us remember the scandals under the gop administrations in the treatment of vets...i do not see the need for private insurance for military...seems like another flipping middle man is you ask me...but i would love to see vets getting decent medical treatment as well as more mental health help....i am for the system that benefits the vets the most.

would vets then get decent medical treatment? or would they continue to get the half ass treatment they have been getting? let us remember the scandals under the gop administrations in the treatment of vets...i do not see the need for private insurance for military...seems like another flipping middle man is you ask me...but i would love to see vets getting decent medical treatment as well as more mental health help....i am for the system that benefits the vets the most.

As the congresswoman said, 'not going to happen.' It's telling though, where the administration goes to effectively 'save money', while spending like drunken sailors, pardon the pun.

it is rather amazing that this is considered...did congress consider rolling back their upcoming pay raise?
obama is not paying attention...its like he has this big ass pr plan to get elected and didnt think past that...it is unfortunate that we as voters didnt turn them all out and go for an independent 3rd party...but the two party system will make sure there is never a viable 3rd party...

As the congresswoman said, 'not going to happen.' It's telling though, where the administration goes to effectively 'save money', while spending like drunken sailors, pardon the pun.

where is the pun?

We should ALL be getting health care as good as that which the NAV provided servicemen when I was serving.

ALL of us deserve HC that good.

Oh, BTW, that's FULLY SOCIALIZED MEDICINE

When I served, during the Vietnam era, the promise that the nation made to us, and to WWII and Korea vets, was that we would receive a certain set of benefits including education, home ownership, and lifetime medical care. Now, the only things left are our VA home loans and only medical care, IF we meet poverty income levels. And, even then, we have to pay part of our prescription costs. I volunteered to enter the service when I graduated in 1967. I was betrayed by my country when it reneged on that promise.

And, now all that the men and women who are serving in our all volunteer force over in Iraq and Afghanistan will get is a single year of medical care and a caution not to let the door hit em in the ass as they leave. That my friends is a national disgrace.

Story Highlights
Obama team considering plan in which vets would use private insurance for wounds
By Adam Levine
CNN
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

But the proposal would be "dead on arrival" if it's sent to Congress, Sen. Patty Murray, D-Washington, said....

One more GOOD reason to hate hussein.

poor treatment of vets has long been a shame for this country...i dont think you can blame any party...since it has happened in admins for how many years now...the biggest shame of this country was leaving mias/pows...

you are right ...your country turned their backs on vets

I guess Obama hasn't read the many insurance disclaimers about not being responsible for "acts of nature or war"

Story Highlights
By Adam Levine
CNN

When I served, during the Vietnam era, the promise that the nation made to us, and to WWII and Korea vets, was that we would receive a certain set of benefits including education, home ownership, and lifetime medical care. Now, the only things left are our VA home loans and only medical care, IF we meet poverty income levels. And, even then, we have to pay part of our prescription costs. I volunteered to enter the service when I graduated in 1967. I was betrayed by my country when it reneged on that promise.

And, now all that the men and women who are serving in our all volunteer force over in Iraq and Afghanistan will get is a single year of medical care and a caution not to let the door hit em in the ass as they leave. That my friends is a national disgrace.

The full GI Bill should be reinstated. Our fathers and grandfathers earned that during WW2, and the people that have served since, have been shortchanged by people who have never served, on both sides of the aisle.

On the plus side, if President Obama is looking for ways to unite both parties, this would certainly do it. Military veteran lawmakers on both sides of the aisle would unite to kill this idea.

I am surprised that this "consideration" even leaked out. It never should have gone past the "I got an idea" stage of discussion.

Change you can believe in!

Welcome home if you were in the nam ,and thanks for your service if not. I joined in 1966. Vietnam 67-68
I was willing to risk my life so I and everyother American could live free and persue happiness. Boy what a mess now. I submit although my company has excellent health insurance, Vets should have the same service as any congressman or they should have to go to the VA when they need health care. Not gonna happen agree with you another national descrace.

Story Highlights
By Adam Levine
CNN

Let him announce it publicly as a plan. One thing about being at war since 2001 -- LOTS of vets. We vote too.

I don't recall a GOP-specific scandal in the treatment of vets. The VA has been mediocre at best, for decades, with BOTH parties trying their best to ignore it.

But say hello to socialized medicine. THIS is what you folks are begging for.

I don't recall a GOP-specific scandal in the treatment of vets. The VA has been mediocre at best, for decades, with BOTH parties trying their best to ignore it.

But say hello to socialized medicine. THIS is what you folks are begging for.

privatizing walter reed and having the contractors give substandard care was a bush admin thing. you don't want to call that a GOP thing?

that said, i think you'd agree that in general, vets get pretty good care, although some things should be done quicker.

as for the op's premise, if they are considering making vets pay, i hope they discard that consideration quickly.

Story Highlights
By Adam Levine
CNN

You mean, there's actually something I agree with Patty Murray on????

Good thing I'm sitting down.

scandals under the GOP?......there is no administration that has taken care of returning war vets....i have at least 10 vietnam vets who live on my route who have nothing good to say about ANY of our leaders when it comes to them and their med problems,EVER,...i deliver to a couple of 1st gulf war guys,same story,no change......to them this story is just more of the same,just new people to bitch at....

Forum List

Back