Obama to Announce Car Mileage Plan

Ya know Chris, we could drill our own oil. If not for your buddies, who keep us dependent on the evil foreign oil. Just a thought you might want to digest, instead of coming up with those old, and I mean old one liners that you keep repeating.

I'm all for drilling for oil, but conservation costs nothing an makes America stronger.

Only a fool would not see that.

Yeah ... conservation costs nothing ... :cuckoo:
Tell that to all the companies that are making a fortune on it by forcing legislation through fear.

Driving fuel efficiency vehicles saves money and keeps us from giving money to the terrorists in Saudi Arabia. Green energy does the same thing. It is the most patriotic thing you can do.

But the Bush Republicans have been supporting the terrorists in Saudi for a long time. You should read "House of Bush, House of Saud."

Obama to Announce Car Mileage PlanBy KEN THOMAS and PHILIP ELLIOTT, AP
posted: 4 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGOcomments: 1297filed under: National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAWASHINGTON (May 19) -- President Barack Obama wants drivers to go farther on a gallon of gas and cause less damage to the environment — and be willing to pick up the tab.
Obama on Tuesday planned to announce the first-ever national emissions limits for cars and trucks, as well as require a 35.5 miles per gallon standard. Consumers should expect to pay an extra $1,300 per vehicle by the time the plan is complete in 2016, officials said.

Obama Mileage Plan

Obama's 35.5-m.p.g. deal may be a game-changer | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

The standardization of emission limits makes a great deal of sense for everyone involved, so I give this plan the thumbs up from that perspective. However, is the 35.5 mile per gallon standard realistic? In real terms, the government is requiring manufacturers to increase the mileage per gallon by over 36% in the next seven years.

In order to achieve this standard, auto makers will be forced to build more small cars, and we are likely to see a huge increase in hybrids. That is great if that is what consumers want. However, if this is not what consumers want, then there will be a very big problem for the manufacturers. In order to make that standard, a lot of these cars will need to get between 40 to 50 miles per gallon to offset the bigger ones that will continue to fall in the low to mid 20's.

While there is a percentage of people who will be, and currently are, happy buying really small cars, many families want something bigger and safer. Another question is whether or not increasing production of hybrids will lower the cost. While the auto manufacturers are trying to recover, increasing the cost of vehicles to the consumer seems to be the last things we should be doing. And right now, hybrids tend to cost around $5000 to $8000 more than the same non-hybrid. That's a lot of money for a car that will probably only save the user a few hundred dollars per year due to the better gas mileage.

Saving Money, Saving Fuel - Is the Hybrid Worth It?

I see big trouble in these numbers. I'm all for increasing mileage but forcing this on the manufacturers in such a short period of time, when they are currently just trying to stay in business..... well, you get the idea.

Short time period? It's 8 years away. $1600 more means about $29 more a month with a 60 month loan at a 7% interest rate. If I have to fill up 18 gallons of gas each week I spend $36 to buy $2/gallon gas. If I only have to go to the gas pump twice a month instead of 4x a month, I save $72 while I spent $29 which means I save $43 a month, $516 a year or $2580 during the life of my auto loan.

If the government had not stepped in decades ago and forced car manufacturers to change the way they do business, we would still have junkers that give us 8 mpg, made of wood, with glass that cut you up severely and eject you out of the car upon a 10 mph crash like they used to. Seat belts? What are those?

do you really think you'll be paying 2/gallon for gas in 8 years. i have a feeling it will be more than that.

I'm all for drilling for oil, but conservation costs nothing an makes America stronger.

Only a fool would not see that.

Yeah ... conservation costs nothing ... :cuckoo:
Tell that to all the companies that are making a fortune on it by forcing legislation through fear.

Driving fuel efficiency vehicles saves money and keeps us from giving money to the terrorists in Saudi Arabia. Green energy does the same thing. It is the most patriotic thing you can do.

But the Bush Republicans have been supporting the terrorists in Saudi for a long time. You should read "House of Bush, House of Saud."

Oh yeah, I'll get right on reading that book ... not.
There is so much you are so easily fooled by. Look into how much money all your crap has really cost us, "green" energy won't cost less, and it's not really green either.

Complete bunk. And you know it is, which makes you a liar. And a troll, because you're just going from thread to thread spouting the same stupid shit and not even reading replies such as these:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/1224572-post32.html
http://www.usmessageboard.com/1224665-post36.html
Gee, the US has been "friends" with Saudi Arabia for decades. It's not strictly a Boooosh thing. But I'm sure you prefer getting our foreign oil from Venezuela and Chavez, good despot totalitarian that he is.

NOTE! haven't read the whole thread...

but I thought I read very recently that asian cars will be averaging 45 miles to the gallon....how do they do it and stay monetarily competitive with others?

but I thought I read very recently that asian cars will be averaging 45 miles to the gallon....how do they do it and stay monetarily competitive with others?
We have cars that get 40-45. What you're missing is, the free market, not government control, dictates what sells. Higher mileage standards have never produced the "intended" result, it's always worked in the opposite. MORE driving happens, and MORE fuel usage.

The actual intent is, control.

We have cars that get 40-45. What you're missing is, the free market, not government control, dictates what sells. Higher mileage standards have never produced the "intended" result, it's always worked in the opposite. MORE driving happens, and MORE fuel usage.

The actual intent is, control.

the supposed free market...DICKED US mm. or those in the American car industry did...

they DIDN'T follow what the market wanted...THIS IS WHY they are in so much trouble in the market place now..... I guess, the free market doesn't always work, when you have short sited dipshits running these companies that only cared about immediate money in hand without anticipating the future of their companies and what the consumer actually wanted....millions of foreign cars would not be having a hayday being sold here IF THE AMERICAN auto makers gave us, proportionately, what we wanted....

care

the supposed free market...DICKED US mm. or those in the American car industry did...

they DIDN'T follow what the market wanted...THIS IS WHY they are in so much trouble in the market place now..... I guess, the free market doesn't always work, when you have short sited dipshits running these companies that only cared about immediate money in hand without anticipating the future of their companies and what the consumer actually wanted....millions of foreign cars would not be having a hayday being sold here IF THE AMERICAN auto makers gave us, proportionately, what we wanted....

care
Riiiiiiiight.

GM forced all them people who drive Hummers and Suburbans to by them, at the point of a gun. :cuckoo:

Thank you, Jimmy Carter....Gonna tell us to turn down our thermostats and put on a sweater next?? :cuckoo:

Actually you are the cuckoo one, if you dont realize it that makes alot of sense. As long as you and others dont want to change we fall behind even China is figuring out it cant survive and grow based on how we developed into the country we are today. Only the ones who adapt survive right.

Actually you are the cuckoo one, if you dont realize it that makes alot of sense. As long as you and others dont want to change we fall behind even China is figuring out it cant survive and grow based on how we developed into the country we are today. Only the ones who adapt survive right.
You don't know jack shit about me, so spare the sweeping generalization.

What you're saying makes ZERO sense, as you (as do all other closet authoritarian do-gooders) have overlooked the free will of the consumer. We're not just all bunch of meat puppets who grab whatever GM or Ford throw out in their showrooms.

There's a reason big-assed cars fly out of the dealerships....People want to buy them.

If Americans all really want little econoshitboxes, then why did companies like Toyota start building pickup trucks to compete with Ford F-Series and Dodge Rams??

BTW....I guess that you also didn't know that the most popular car in China is.....BUICK!

Last edited:

care
Riiiiiiiight.

GM forced all them people who drive Hummers and Suburbans to by them, at the point of a gun. :cuckoo:

Hey Dude,

they sold the suv's just fine, they didn't sell much of anything else because they did NOT have what the customer wanted...you can't make a business work with only one item that is selling and the rest just sitting there....while the japanese/Korean cars were being snatched up due to their quality and gas milelage....

They did not do their jobs in reading the MARKET Place, they were too busy patting eachother on the back when their one big ticket item sold....

they did THIS to themselves, and to us....

Hey Dude,

they sold the suv's just fine, they didn't sell much of anything else because they did NOT have what the customer wanted...you can't make a business work with only one item that is selling and the rest just sitting there....while the japanese/Korean cars were being snatched up due to their quality and gas milelage....

They did not do their jobs in reading the MARKET Place, they were too busy patting eachother on the back when their one big ticket item sold....

You're nuckin futs!!!!!

CAFE means Corporate Average Fuel Economy.....In order for car companies to make the behemoths that they did, they also had to make little econoshitboxes, which they had to take a loss on to sell the cars people wanted......I guess you've forgotten little hunks of crap like the Geo.

Also. the consumer has ha plenty of choice in the market for the smaller cars you claim are all the rage....Toyota, Kia, Hundai, Honda, Subaru.....

And, just to set the record straight here, I drive a Subaru Outback.

The only time that sales of the monster SUV took a dump was when gas hit $4.00 a gallon. Let's not also forget that he foreign manufacturers , like Toyota, have also taken a big hit in sales.

Hey Dude,

You're nuckin futs!!!!!

CAFE means Corporate Average Fuel Economy.....In order for car companies to make the behemoths that they did, they also had to make little econoshitboxes, which they had to take a loss on to sell the cars people wanted......I guess you've forgotten little hunks of crap like the Geo.

Also. the consumer has ha plenty of choice in the market for the smaller cars you claim are all the rage....Toyota, Kia, Hundai, Honda, Subaru.....

And, just to set the record straight here, I drive a Subaru Outback.

The only time that sales of the monster SUV took a dump was when gas hit $4.00 a gallon. Let's not also forget that he foreign manufacturers , like Toyota, have also taken a big hit in sales.

you are obviously very young! (not that there is anything wrong with this) :)

the American car companies since carter, have DONE THIS TO THEMSELVES....there was no kia. honda, mitzubishi, hyundai ////just a tad of toyota and datson who is now nissan i believe....

all foreign car makers jumped on fuel efficient cars during the oil embargo in the 70's....and on average get 20 miles to the gallon over usa fleets now....

since 2001 oil/gas prices have risen with monthly double digit increases....but the american companies sat back and DID VIRTUALLY NOTHING....because their SUV's had alot of profit in each of them....so they chose the EASY ROUTE, EASY MONEY instead of reading the writing on the wall...while still producing cars, no one wanted.

SUV's have NEVER been held to the CAFE standards of cars, they were considered small trucks....

care

I've been around a lot longer than you think.

Japanese manufacturers were making smaller cars as a matter of course back in the 70s, not as any reaction to the Arab oil embargo.

And I'm not absolving the American producers from all the blame here either. However, the CAFE mandate that forced them to build cars that few wanted, and that were in great supply from foreign manufacturers, squeezed their margins to the point that $4.00 gas, the recession, and the subsequent falloff of sales of big cars, is what pushed them over the brink.

Do I think that they should've been bailed out??...Hell no. But by the same token, they shouldn't have been regulated to the margins of profitability, either.

WASHINGTON (May 19) - President Barack Obama is asking consumers to put their money — up to $1,300 per new vehicle by 2016 — behind his plan for higher efficiency standards for cars and trucks and tougher rules on their greenhouse gas emissions. In return, Obama said Tuesday in unveiling the plan, drivers would make up the higher cost of more fuel-efficient, cleaner vehicles by buying less gas at the pump.
It would take just three years to pay off the investment and would, over the life of a vehicle, save about $2,800 through better gas mileage, the president said.

How can he make this promise without knowing what the cost of a gallon of gasoline will be????

Well basically he makes this promise by figuring at today's dollars what it would be. In 2016, the savings would be (based on his estimate) about $2,800 in 2008 dollars. In 2016 that may be $3,000 or it might be $2,500 but in today's dollars it would be about $2,800. The value will be about the same as saving $2,800 today.

Of course, he's just trying to sell his plan for increased government control of Corporate America. It makes sense that you will save money on gasoline with more efficient engines, but at what costs? Save $2,800 on gas but how much more are you going to have to pay for the car?

Immie

Midnight brings up a good question. Would we be better off getting our oil from Chavez than the Saudis?

care
Nonsense. The free market is WHY you have foreign car companies here. They are satisfying a demand. And they're ALSO selling pick-up trucks and SUVs big time.

As to the OP, read these posts:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1224572-post32.html
http://www.usmessageboard.com/1224665-post36.html

Midnight brings up a good question. Would we be better off getting our oil from Chavez than the Saudis?
This is why I call for "Country of Origin" labels on the gas pumps. Let us vote with our dollars and allow us the freedom to choose what countries to give our money to. I like US, Canadian and Mexican oil, and appreciate the EU's production which is ninth in the world. We should help support the fledgling government of Iraq, by buying gas made from that oil too.

Gas made from Saudi, Chinese, Russian, Iranian, and Venezuela oil would obviously be lesser choices. But we would HAVE a choice. And could exercise it.

Forum List

Back