Obama to Announce Car Mileage Plan

WASHINGTON (May 19) - President Barack Obama is asking consumers to put their money — up to $1,300 per new vehicle by 2016 — behind his plan for higher efficiency standards for cars and trucks and tougher rules on their greenhouse gas emissions. In return, Obama said Tuesday in unveiling the plan, drivers would make up the higher cost of more fuel-efficient, cleaner vehicles by buying less gas at the pump.
It would take just three years to pay off the investment and would, over the life of a vehicle, save about $2,800 through better gas mileage, the president said.

How can he make this promise without knowing what the cost of a gallon of gasoline will be????

He can because the government is genius while you and are are morons that they need to take care of.

And another thing - if it is only going to take three years to pay off $1300 and then $2800 over the life of the vehicle, is Obama saying the life of a vehicle is just a little over six years????

WTF??????

How can he make this promise without knowing what the cost of a gallon of gasoline will be????

He can because the government is genius while you and are are morons that they need to take care of.

And another thing - if it is only going to take three years to pay off $1300 and then $2800 over the life of the vehicle, is Obama saying the life of a vehicle is just a little over six years????

WTF??????

Well if he's talking about hybrids, you have to replace that huge expensive battery about every 3 years at a cost of what? $1300? He must realize that after doing that once or twice people are going to want to get rid of the damn thing, thus a 6 year average life per owner.

How do you save the auto industry? Force them to build cars no one wants to buy. That is, of course, after you force them to sell out to the unions that helped get you elected.

I think the Air Force One flyover photo-op used more fuel and caused more emissions in one day than my SUV and Silverado do in a year.
Oh stop sounding so smart. :tongue: :lol:

oh yeah... it's not like the guy who pulled the bonehead move got fired or anything...

I suppose he could have given him a medal of honor instead... like "you're doing a heck of a job, Brownie".

I think the Air Force One flyover photo-op used more fuel and caused more emissions in one day than my SUV and Silverado do in a year.

oh yeah... it's not like the guy who pulled the bonehead move got fired or anything...

I suppose he could have given him a medal of honor instead... like "you're doing a heck of a job, Brownie".

Do you think Mr Obama is so clueless he didn't know about it in advance?

Obama to Announce Car Mileage PlanBy KEN THOMAS and PHILIP ELLIOTT, AP
posted: 4 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGOcomments: 1297filed under: National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAWASHINGTON (May 19) -- President Barack Obama wants drivers to go farther on a gallon of gas and cause less damage to the environment — and be willing to pick up the tab.
Obama on Tuesday planned to announce the first-ever national emissions limits for cars and trucks, as well as require a 35.5 miles per gallon standard. Consumers should expect to pay an extra $1,300 per vehicle by the time the plan is complete in 2016, officials said.

Obama Mileage Plan

Obama's 35.5-m.p.g. deal may be a game-changer | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

The standardization of emission limits makes a great deal of sense for everyone involved, so I give this plan the thumbs up from that perspective. However, is the 35.5 mile per gallon standard realistic? In real terms, the government is requiring manufacturers to increase the mileage per gallon by over 36% in the next seven years.

In order to achieve this standard, auto makers will be forced to build more small cars, and we are likely to see a huge increase in hybrids. That is great if that is what consumers want. However, if this is not what consumers want, then there will be a very big problem for the manufacturers. In order to make that standard, a lot of these cars will need to get between 40 to 50 miles per gallon to offset the bigger ones that will continue to fall in the low to mid 20's.

While there is a percentage of people who will be, and currently are, happy buying really small cars, many families want something bigger and safer. Another question is whether or not increasing production of hybrids will lower the cost. While the auto manufacturers are trying to recover, increasing the cost of vehicles to the consumer seems to be the last things we should be doing. And right now, hybrids tend to cost around $5000 to $8000 more than the same non-hybrid. That's a lot of money for a car that will probably only save the user a few hundred dollars per year due to the better gas mileage.

Saving Money, Saving Fuel - Is the Hybrid Worth It?

I see big trouble in these numbers. I'm all for increasing mileage but forcing this on the manufacturers in such a short period of time, when they are currently just trying to stay in business..... well, you get the idea.

More government control from the Democrats. And they whined about Bush's NSA wiretaps? Oh yeah, Obama likes those too.

I'm about sick of these control freaks.

wasn't it the same obamalama who flew a guy from across the yewnitedstates just to make him a pizza?? now you know that was no accident

wasn't it the same obamalama who flew a guy from across the yewnitedstates just to make him a pizza?? now you know that was no accident

I'm no fan of the Messiah, but the pizza guy went to D.C. on his own dime.

and we know this how? and besides,, we are not talking about dimes,, we are talking about saving fuel and carbon emissions.. right?

and we know this how? and besides,, we are not talking about dimes,, we are talking about saving fuel and carbon emissions.. right?

You're right, the discussion is about mpgs, fuel, and carbon emmisions, I was pointing out that, to the best of my knowledge, Obama did not pay for pizza guy to come to D.C. Perhaps I should have slowed down in my reaction to your post and addressed how it applies to this discussion, especially since I rarely jump to the defense of a President I do not care for...

As for how we know this... I know it because, at the time I did more than a few Google searches on the topic for the sake of argument on another board. Every story I found indicated that pizza guy was going to D.C. to see his girlfriend and offered to make pizza for the President while he was in town. Apparently Barack had tried this pizza on the campaign trail and loved it.

Anywho... If the story is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, introducing it into the discussion in this thread serves no purpose as the pizza guy was seemingly going to D.C. regardless of whether or not he was going to cook at the White House.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Today's automobiles are 80% more fuel efficient than their 1970s counterparts. This is mostly due to use of computer controlled fuel injection and combustion airflow management. We got rid of the carburetor. Phased it totally out. Technology advanced and so did our efficiency.

That said, higher mileage standards for vehicles have never produced the stated desired result - lowering of consumption. It's always had the exact opposite effect -- people driving more because of the better mileage and therefore, using more gasoline!

IF the desired result really is to reduce our dependence on enemy oil, I have a simple solution they'll never do, precisely because it would actually work -- "country of origin" labels on the gas pumps!

Just like we now have on food, why not on the gas pump? We can then vote with our dollars at the pump, will be empowered like never before as individuals to reduce consumption of enemy oil.

There's lots of foreign oil from allies and friends. Countries that like us and always have. There's no reason why we shouldn't have a choice at the pump whether or not to support and fund people who don't like us. And with the country of origin label, YOU get to decide where your gasoline money goes!

Of course, the actual goal of this new CAFE standard isn't anything like what they say it is, it's actually about control. And it conveniently circumvents the court system too, because of course now the automakers' lawsuits against California will be dropped because they're now moot.

In the end, the free market and good old American engineering and ingenuity will do what no government mandate can -- make that 80 MPG SUV baby!

You're right, the discussion is about mpgs, fuel, and carbon emmisions, I was pointing out that, to the best of my knowledge, Obama did not pay for pizza guy to come to D.C. Perhaps I should have slowed down in my reaction to your post and addressed how it applies to this discussion, especially since I rarely jump to the defense of a President I do not care for...

As for how we know this... I know it because, at the time I did more than a few Google searches on the topic for the sake of argument on another board. Every story I found indicated that pizza guy was going to D.C. to see his girlfriend and offered to make pizza for the President while he was in town. Apparently Barack had tried this pizza on the campaign trail and loved it.

Anywho... If the story is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, introducing it into the discussion in this thread serves no purpose as the pizza guy was seemingly going to D.C. regardless of whether or not he was going to cook at the White House.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

The fact is, we have cars NOW that meet both fuel and emissions requirements. This is just another example of Obama shoving the Fed down everyone's throats. These Democrats and their Big Brother mentality are getting on my last nerve.

Good job, Obama!

America's dependency on foreign oil is our greatest security threat.

Only an idiot would not recognize that.

Good job, Obama!

Only an idiot believes this will in any way help with that issue, and only an idiot believes this is really about reducing consumption of enemy oil.

And only an idiot cheers Obama for repeating the same failed policy of a couple of his predecessors. Showing once again that he has no original ideas of his own.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Of course he knew - he has to be notified of Air Force One's change in status.

It is ridiculous to assert Obama, or those very close to him, did not sign off on that ridiculous waste of taxpayer dollars and complete disregard for the New Yorkers who crapped their pants in what clearly looked like a 9/11 repeat.

That whole thing still pisses me off big time.

Good job, Obama!

Ya know Chris, we could drill our own oil. If not for your buddies, who keep us dependent on the evil foreign oil. Just a thought you might want to digest, instead of coming up with those old, and I mean old one liners that you keep repeating.

Good job, Obama!

Ya know Chris, we could drill our own oil. If not for your buddies, who keep us dependent on the evil foreign oil. Just a thought you might want to digest, instead of coming up with those old, and I mean old one liners that you keep repeating.

I'm all for drilling for oil, but conservation costs nothing an makes America stronger.

Only a fool would not see that.

Good job, Obama!

I'm all for drilling for oil, but conservation costs nothing an makes America stronger.

Only a fool would not see that.

Yeah ... conservation costs nothing ... :cuckoo:
Tell that to all the companies that are making a fortune on it by forcing legislation through fear.

Forum List

Back