Obama to Announce Car Mileage Plan

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
Obama to Announce Car Mileage PlanBy KEN THOMAS and PHILIP ELLIOTT, AP
posted: 4 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGOcomments: 1297filed under: National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAWASHINGTON (May 19) -- President Barack Obama wants drivers to go farther on a gallon of gas and cause less damage to the environment — and be willing to pick up the tab.
Obama on Tuesday planned to announce the first-ever national emissions limits for cars and trucks, as well as require a 35.5 miles per gallon standard. Consumers should expect to pay an extra $1,300 per vehicle by the time the plan is complete in 2016, officials said.

Obama Mileage Plan

Obama's 35.5-m.p.g. deal may be a game-changer | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

The standardization of emission limits makes a great deal of sense for everyone involved, so I give this plan the thumbs up from that perspective. However, is the 35.5 mile per gallon standard realistic? In real terms, the government is requiring manufacturers to increase the mileage per gallon by over 36% in the next seven years.

In order to achieve this standard, auto makers will be forced to build more small cars, and we are likely to see a huge increase in hybrids. That is great if that is what consumers want. However, if this is not what consumers want, then there will be a very big problem for the manufacturers. In order to make that standard, a lot of these cars will need to get between 40 to 50 miles per gallon to offset the bigger ones that will continue to fall in the low to mid 20's.

While there is a percentage of people who will be, and currently are, happy buying really small cars, many families want something bigger and safer. Another question is whether or not increasing production of hybrids will lower the cost. While the auto manufacturers are trying to recover, increasing the cost of vehicles to the consumer seems to be the last things we should be doing. And right now, hybrids tend to cost around $5000 to $8000 more than the same non-hybrid. That's a lot of money for a car that will probably only save the user a few hundred dollars per year due to the better gas mileage.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Saving-Money,-Saving-Fuel---Is-the-Hybrid-Worth-It?&id=2044375

I see big trouble in these numbers. I'm all for increasing mileage but forcing this on the manufacturers in such a short period of time, when they are currently just trying to stay in business..... well, you get the idea.

posted: 4 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGOcomments: 1297filed under: National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAWASHINGTON (May 19) -- President Barack Obama wants drivers to go farther on a gallon of gas and cause less damage to the environment — and be willing to pick up the tab.
Obama on Tuesday planned to announce the first-ever national emissions limits for cars and trucks, as well as require a 35.5 miles per gallon standard. Consumers should expect to pay an extra $1,300 per vehicle by the time the plan is complete in 2016, officials said.

Obama Mileage Plan

The standardization of emission limits makes a great deal of sense for everyone involved, so I give this plan the thumbs up from that perspective. However, is the 35.5 mile per gallon standard realistic? In real terms, the government is requiring manufacturers to increase the mileage per gallon by over 36% in the next seven years.

In order to achieve this standard, auto makers will be forced to build more small cars, and we are likely to see a huge increase in hybrids. That is great if that is what consumers want. However, if this is not what consumers want, then there will be a very big problem for the manufacturers. In order to make that standard, a lot of these cars will need to get between 40 to 50 miles per gallon to offset the bigger ones that will continue to fall in the low to mid 20's.

While there is a percentage of people who will be, and currently are, happy buying really small cars, many families want something bigger and safer. Another question is whether or not increasing production of hybrids will lower the cost. While the auto manufacturers are trying to recover, increasing the cost of vehicles to the consumer seems to be the last things we should be doing. And right now, hybrids tend to cost around $5000 to $8000 more than the same non-hybrid. That's a lot of money for a car that will probably only save the user a few hundred dollars per year due to the better gas mileage.

Saving Money, Saving Fuel - Is the Hybrid Worth It?

I see big trouble in these numbers. I'm all for increasing mileage but forcing this on the manufacturers in such a short period of time, when they are currently just trying to stay in business..... well, you get the idea.

Yeah I don't see how it's going to encourage people to buy new cars, given that the cost will just be passed on to the consumer. Too much govt interference imo.

They are already producing cars that get this kind of mileage. However, adding approximately $1600.00 per car to the emissions of said cars in this bill will in effect--drive prices up--making it more affordable for Foreign cars to be sold here. To Americans--it's always about cost.

As far as trucks & SUV's--I work in construction--we need big trucks with 4 wheel drive capabilities. We can't carry equipment around in small electric cars. It doesn't look like they have a plan for that.

They are already producing cars that get this kind of mileage. However, adding approximately $1600.00 per car to the emissions of said cars in this bill will in effect--drive prices up--making it more affordable for Foreign cars to be sold here. To Americans--it's always about cost.

As far as trucks & SUV's--I work in construction--we need big trucks with 4 wheel drive capabilities. We can't carry equipment around in small electric cars. It doesn't look like they have a plan for that.

The milege requirements don't pertain to larger trucks, only cars and light trucks. As for the emission standards raising prices, it will raise them on the foreign cars just as much as on American cars, so this won't give an advantage to the foreign companies.

Produce greater and greater mileage cars... more power to 'em... if they are indeed in demand (which I believe they are and will be), they will sell.. good for people, good for businesses, good for fuel savings, etc..

BUT... if I have the means and the will to have a big 500CI engine that gets 7 miles to the gallon, or I wish to produce it, thinking that it will sell.. I have every right to do so in a freedom based society... it'ss my risk, my gamble, and my choice

I think it would be one thing to ENCOURAGE companies to produce vehicles with better and better mileage... to force it is a whole different ball of wax

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
The milege requirements don't pertain to larger trucks, only cars and light trucks. As for the emission standards raising prices, it will raise them on the foreign cars just as much as on American cars, so this won't give an advantage to the foreign companies.

Freep isn't really the place to get a viable discussion on the issue. But it does seem the automakers are on board so I'm figuring that the new standards were a condition of keeping them alive.

WASHINGTON - Joined by an uncommon alliance of auto executives, union leaders and environmental activists, President Barack Obama on Tuesday announced a national program to cut new vehicle carbon emissions and raise mileage by 30 percent, while also reducing oil needs.

"The status quo is no longer acceptable," Obama said at a White House ceremony. "We have done little to increase fuel efficiency of America's cars and trucks for decades."

"As a result of this agreement, we will save 1.8 billion barrels of oil over the lifetime of the vehicles sold in the next five years," Obama added. "And at a time of historic crisis in our auto industry, this rule provides the clear certainty that will allow these companies to plan for a future in which they are building the cars of the 21st century."

Automakers back Obama rule to raise mpg - Climate Change- msnbc.com

Freep isn't really the place to get a viable discussion on the issue. But it does seem the automakers are on board so I'm figuring that the new standards were a condition of keeping them alive.

WASHINGTON - Joined by an uncommon alliance of auto executives, union leaders and environmental activists, President Barack Obama on Tuesday announced a national program to cut new vehicle carbon emissions and raise mileage by 30 percent, while also reducing oil needs.

"The status quo is no longer acceptable," Obama said at a White House ceremony. "We have done little to increase fuel efficiency of America's cars and trucks for decades."

"As a result of this agreement, we will save 1.8 billion barrels of oil over the lifetime of the vehicles sold in the next five years," Obama added. "And at a time of historic crisis in our auto industry, this rule provides the clear certainty that will allow these companies to plan for a future in which they are building the cars of the 21st century."

Automakers back Obama rule to raise mpg - Climate Change- msnbc.com

It is true that GM sure as hell didn't listen to the consumer when we wanted better mileage and they kept making SUV's. I just don't like that kind of regulation.

What ... people still want freedom? Who'd have thunk it?

Oh wait ... it's only the freedoms they agree with, forgot.

I say, if they can sell it, let them make it, period. If there is no market the company will fail, like all those which have recently that were bailed out with our money.

Obama Mileage Plan

Short time period? It's 8 years away. $1600 more means about $29 more a month with a 60 month loan at a 7% interest rate. If I have to fill up 18 gallons of gas each week I spend $36 to buy $2/gallon gas. If I only have to go to the gas pump twice a month instead of 4x a month, I save $72 while I spent $29 which means I save $43 a month, $516 a year or $2580 during the life of my auto loan.

If the government had not stepped in decades ago and forced car manufacturers to change the way they do business, we would still have junkers that give us 8 mpg, made of wood, with glass that cut you up severely and eject you out of the car upon a 10 mph crash like they used to. Seat belts? What are those?

Obama Mileage Plan

From what I understand this was a compromise deal worked out with the car makers...and they are relieved to have a national standard instead of having to make different cars for different states.

The technology already exists.

What ... people still want freedom? Who'd have thunk it?

Oh wait ... it's only the freedoms they agree with, forgot.

I say, if they can sell it, let them make it, period. If there is no market the company will fail, like all those which have recently that were bailed out with our money.

All for Freedom till it conflicts with YOUR personal YUCK factor, I see.

Obama Mileage Plan

Short time period? It's 8 years away. $1600 more means about $29 more a month with a 60 month loan at a 7% interest rate. If I have to fill up 18 gallons of gas each week I spend $36 to buy $2/gallon gas. If I only have to go to the gas pump twice a month instead of 4x a month, I save $72 while I spent $29 which means I save $43 a month, $516 a year or $2580 during the life of my auto loan.

If the government had not stepped in decades ago and forced car manufacturers to change the way they do business, we would still have junkers that give us 8 mpg, made of wood, with glass that cut you up severely and eject you out of the car upon a 10 mph crash like they used to. Seat belts? What are those?

$1600 is the cost of reducing emissions, not raising mileage. Raising mileage will cost upwards of another $5000 to $8000 per vehicle. That will not help sales nor affordability. The savings in fuel costs will not offset the additional cost of the vehicle. It won't even come close. For someone who is struggling, buying a new car is hard enough to swing. Add on another $8000 and you can forget them purchasing that wonderful new vehicle that will save them a couple bucks at the gas tank.

While we're at it, why should the government dictate to us how safe the food should be in restaurants? Why should the government get to tell food manufacturers what's in our food packages?

Heck, and owners of sewage treatment plants are victims of governmental abuse because they can no longer pump raw sewage into America's rivers, lakes and oceans. Now they have to actually treat the sewage. That's not right.

And to think that in a movie theater that the exits are clearly marked.

I can't believe those pinko commies in government make pilots go through a safety checklist, and make sure planes are maintained on a schedule the government deems appropriate. Come on! We can trust the airline business to regulate themselves.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the government inspects and dictates safety requirements on amusement park rides, elevators, and playgrounds.

Darn government interference!

lol, now that is spinnin' it to the extreme!

I think most people are just questioning the timing, and short time frame to get it done.

I just hope they don't fuck with my SUV, I need it for at least a few more years, with my wife, 3 kids, and I with 3 sets of hockey equipment, and a lunch/refreshment cooler, it can be a tight squeeze as it is sometimes. My 2 boys and I are fairly big(6'2 to 6'4 and 210 to 230 lbs), and living in the sticks we always drive a good distance anywhere we go, not to mention always having sports equipment and/or school bags.
I suppose there are always exceptions, and we are probably one in this case, but I'll be sticking to my gas guzzler for a good while yet so we can be somewhat comfortable for all the driving we do.
There's no way one of these fuel misers for a family vehicle will hold up to 60-70 000 miles a year for us. With regular, and proper, maintenance, my Ford Excursion(diesel) just rolled 500 000 and still runs like a top, my goal is a million out of it.:clap2:

WASHINGTON (May 19) - President Barack Obama is asking consumers to put their money — up to $1,300 per new vehicle by 2016 — behind his plan for higher efficiency standards for cars and trucks and tougher rules on their greenhouse gas emissions. In return, Obama said Tuesday in unveiling the plan, drivers would make up the higher cost of more fuel-efficient, cleaner vehicles by buying less gas at the pump.
It would take just three years to pay off the investment and would, over the life of a vehicle, save about $2,800 through better gas mileage, the president said.

How can he make this promise without knowing what the cost of a gallon of gasoline will be????

I do have concerns about this. The auto industry were going to have trouble making the adjustments by 2020, and now it's been moved up to 1016. Here is my concern....we will get better gas mileage, but the offset will be safety of the vehicles. I feel they will have to be lighter with less metal for impact. Any thoughts?

Also, last year when gas prices went up, and people were actually using less gas there was talk at the state level and fed level of raising gas taxes to recoup what they're losing with less consumption. Will we be repeating this scenario, and actually have gas prices much higher? Willow made a good point in her prior post.

Last edited:
how many miles to the gallon does the president's limo get? how about all those suburbans's the boys and girls in power in DC use?

do as i say, not as i do, the democrat party motto

WASHINGTON (May 19) - President Barack Obama is asking consumers to put their money — up to $1,300 per new vehicle by 2016 — behind his plan for higher efficiency standards for cars and trucks and tougher rules on their greenhouse gas emissions. In return, Obama said Tuesday in unveiling the plan, drivers would make up the higher cost of more fuel-efficient, cleaner vehicles by buying less gas at the pump.
It would take just three years to pay off the investment and would, over the life of a vehicle, save about $2,800 through better gas mileage, the president said.

How can he make this promise without knowing what the cost of a gallon of gasoline will be????

He can because the government is genius while you and I are morons that they need to take care of.

Last edited:
Isn't it amazing how so few in the media have yet to find the balls to confront the President on this broad assertions of how his ideas will actually work?

"Uh, Mr. President, are you saying you know the price of gas in 24 months? If so, how do you know that sir?"

Geez, how hard could that be?

Forum List

Back