Obama to Announce Car Mileage Plan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by auditor0007, May 19, 2009.

1. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Obama to Announce Car Mileage PlanBy KEN THOMAS and PHILIP ELLIOTT, AP
    posted: 4 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGOcomments: 1297filed under: National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAWASHINGTON (May 19) -- President Barack Obama wants drivers to go farther on a gallon of gas and cause less damage to the environment — and be willing to pick up the tab.
    Obama on Tuesday planned to announce the first-ever national emissions limits for cars and trucks, as well as require a 35.5 miles per gallon standard. Consumers should expect to pay an extra $1,300 per vehicle by the time the plan is complete in 2016, officials said.

Obama Mileage Plan

Obama's 35.5-m.p.g. deal may be a game-changer | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

The standardization of emission limits makes a great deal of sense for everyone involved, so I give this plan the thumbs up from that perspective. However, is the 35.5 mile per gallon standard realistic? In real terms, the government is requiring manufacturers to increase the mileage per gallon by over 36% in the next seven years.

In order to achieve this standard, auto makers will be forced to build more small cars, and we are likely to see a huge increase in hybrids. That is great if that is what consumers want. However, if this is not what consumers want, then there will be a very big problem for the manufacturers. In order to make that standard, a lot of these cars will need to get between 40 to 50 miles per gallon to offset the bigger ones that will continue to fall in the low to mid 20's.

While there is a percentage of people who will be, and currently are, happy buying really small cars, many families want something bigger and safer. Another question is whether or not increasing production of hybrids will lower the cost. While the auto manufacturers are trying to recover, increasing the cost of vehicles to the consumer seems to be the last things we should be doing. And right now, hybrids tend to cost around $5000 to $8000 more than the same non-hybrid. That's a lot of money for a car that will probably only save the user a few hundred dollars per year due to the better gas mileage.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Saving-Money,-Saving-Fuel---Is-the-Hybrid-Worth-It?&id=2044375

I see big trouble in these numbers. I'm all for increasing mileage but forcing this on the manufacturers in such a short period of time, when they are currently just trying to stay in business..... well, you get the idea.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    Yeah I don't see how it's going to encourage people to buy new cars, given that the cost will just be passed on to the consumer. Too much govt interference imo.

3. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,160
    They are already producing cars that get this kind of mileage. However, adding approximately $1600.00 per car to the emissions of said cars in this bill will in effect--drive prices up--making it more affordable for Foreign cars to be sold here. To Americans--it's always about cost.

As far as trucks & SUV's--I work in construction--we need big trucks with 4 wheel drive capabilities. We can't carry equipment around in small electric cars. It doesn't look like they have a plan for that.

4. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    The milege requirements don't pertain to larger trucks, only cars and light trucks. As for the emission standards raising prices, it will raise them on the foreign cars just as much as on American cars, so this won't give an advantage to the foreign companies.

5. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Produce greater and greater mileage cars... more power to 'em... if they are indeed in demand (which I believe they are and will be), they will sell.. good for people, good for businesses, good for fuel savings, etc..

BUT... if I have the means and the will to have a big 500CI engine that gets 7 miles to the gallon, or I wish to produce it, thinking that it will sell.. I have every right to do so in a freedom based society... it'ss my risk, my gamble, and my choice

I think it would be one thing to ENCOURAGE companies to produce vehicles with better and better mileage... to force it is a whole different ball of wax

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Freep isn't really the place to get a viable discussion on the issue. But it does seem the automakers are on board so I'm figuring that the new standards were a condition of keeping them alive.

Automakers back Obama rule to raise mpg - Climate Change- msnbc.com

7. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    It is true that GM sure as hell didn't listen to the consumer when we wanted better mileage and they kept making SUV's. I just don't like that kind of regulation.

8. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    What ... people still want freedom? Who'd have thunk it?

Oh wait ... it's only the freedoms they agree with, forgot.

I say, if they can sell it, let them make it, period. If there is no market the company will fail, like all those which have recently that were bailed out with our money.

9. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Short time period? It's 8 years away. $1600 more means about $29 more a month with a 60 month loan at a 7% interest rate. If I have to fill up 18 gallons of gas each week I spend $36 to buy $2/gallon gas. If I only have to go to the gas pump twice a month instead of 4x a month, I save $72 while I spent $29 which means I save $43 a month, $516 a year or $2580 during the life of my auto loan.

If the government had not stepped in decades ago and forced car manufacturers to change the way they do business, we would still have junkers that give us 8 mpg, made of wood, with glass that cut you up severely and eject you out of the car upon a 10 mph crash like they used to. Seat belts? What are those?

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,813
    From what I understand this was a compromise deal worked out with the car makers...and they are relieved to have a national standard instead of having to make different cars for different states.

The technology already exists.