Obama Speaks to President of Iran in First Talk Since 1979

SherriMunnerlyn

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2012

"President Obama spoke by telephone with President Hassan Rouhani of Iran on Friday afternoon, the first direct conversation between leaders of the two estranged countries since the rupture of the Tehran hostage crisis more than three decades ago. Mr. Obama called the discussion an important breakthrough after a generation of deep mistrust and suggested that it could serve as the starting point to an eventual deal on Iran’s nuclear program and a broader renewal of relations between two countries that once were close allies. But the telephone call on Friday reinforced optimism at the White House that Mr. Rouhani’s election in June may presage a new thinking in Tehran under the weight of crushing economic sanctions imposed in recent years. Secretary of State John Kerry engaged in direct talks on Thursday with his Iranian counterpart, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, and Mr. Obama said the two would pursue additional discussions in cooperation with allies."

Obama Speaks to President of Iran in First Talk Since 1979 - NYTimes.com

I learned about these positive developments from an email from moveon.org this afternoon. That organization, with its millions of members, has been focusing its energy on opposing new ME wars and supporting diplomacy as a method for the US to resolve its issues with ME countries.

1382113_260088027475575_1735229457_n.png

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...401.1073741828.187987244685654&type=1&theater

Last edited:

"President Obama spoke by telephone with President Hassan Rouhani of Iran on Friday afternoon, the first direct conversation between leaders of the two estranged countries since the rupture of the Tehran hostage crisis more than three decades ago. Mr. Obama called the discussion an important breakthrough after a generation of deep mistrust and suggested that it could serve as the starting point to an eventual deal on Iran’s nuclear program and a broader renewal of relations between two countries that once were close allies. But the telephone call on Friday reinforced optimism at the White House that Mr. Rouhani’s election in June may presage a new thinking in Tehran under the weight of crushing economic sanctions imposed in recent years. Secretary of State John Kerry engaged in direct talks on Thursday with his Iranian counterpart, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, and Mr. Obama said the two would pursue additional discussions in cooperation with allies."

I learned about these positive developments from an email from moveon.org this afternoon. That organization, with its millions of members, has been focusing its energy on opposing new ME wars and supporting diplomacy as a method for the US to resolve its issues with ME countries.
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...401.1073741828.187987244685654&type=1&theater

Well ain't that special ShiaSherri. He'll negotiate with terrorists but not congress. You got an email from MoveOn.org? Do tell. Did they tell you to move on?

Iranian MoveOn Member Explains Why You Should Speak Up

For the first time in 35 years, U.S. and Iranian leaders might meet this week at the UN General Assembly. Sara Haghdoosti is fighting to make that happen. As part of*Berim*(Farsi for “Let’s go”), the organization she founded to create a free Iran, the Iranian-born woman*started a MoveOn petition*urging President Obama to meet with Iran’s new president, Hassan Rouhani. “I was really scared that no one would sign it,” she says — but more than 46,000 people have! Before delivering the petition, she answered a few of our questions.

sara-haghdoosti.jpg

Iranian MoveOn Member Explains Why You Should Speak Up | MoveOn.Org | Democracy In Action

Last edited:

For the first time in 35 years, U.S. and Iranian leaders might meet this week at the UN General Assembly. Sara Haghdoosti is fighting to make that happen. As part of*Berim*(Farsi for “Let’s go”), the organization she founded to create a free Iran, the Iranian-born woman*started a MoveOn petition*urging President Obama to meet with Iran’s new president, Hassan Rouhani. “I was really scared that no one would sign it,” she says — but more than 46,000 people have! Before delivering the petition, she answered a few of our questions.

sara-haghdoosti.jpg

Iranian MoveOn Member Explains Why You Should Speak Up | MoveOn.Org | Democracy In Action
What does the Persian people think about this?

A View From Inside Iran: What Sanctions Do to Real People

For about 10 days, I have been in Tehran visiting family. In my short time here, I have already heard about and seen the painful consequences of sanctions.Sanctions against Iran are doing great harm to an economic system that ordinary Iranians rely on to make a living, and are also indirectly increasing health and safety risks. Iran’s new president continues to express his desire for direct talks with the United States, most recently with the Iranian parliament’s confirmation of Iran’s new foreign minister, Mohammad-Javad Zarif. Many Iranians are hopeful that America and Iran will sit down and repair relations.

For about 10 days, I have been in Tehran visiting family. In my short time here, I have already heard about and seen the painful consequences of sanctions.Sanctions against Iran are doing great harm to an economic system that ordinary Iranians rely on to make a living, and are also indirectly increasing health and safety risks. Iran’s new president continues to express his desire for direct talks with the United States, most recently with the Iranian parliament’s confirmation of Iran’s new foreign minister, Mohammad-Javad Zarif. Many Iranians are hopeful that America and Iran will sit down and repair relations.

How does the Grand Ayatollah Assahollah figure into this? Does he go along with the new President? You seem to have the inside track. What's the latest poop from group?

1382113_260088027475575_1735229457_n.png

It's about time. The best way to resolve any problem in the world is for both sides to talk about it.

Well ain't that special ShiaSherri. He'll negotiate with terrorists but not congress. You got an email from MoveOn.org? Do tell. Did they tell you to move on?

If you're referring to Republicans committing economic terrorism on the middle class....you're correct.

If you're referring to Republicans committing economic terrorism on the middle class....you're correct.
Yes he is. He's talking about the American patriots in Congress who want to prevent most of the 99% from mooching off the taxpayers.

Yes he is. He's talking about the American patriots in Congress who want to prevent most of the 99% from mooching off the taxpayers.

Who receives the majority of their financial backing from the Koch Brothers.....please!

Who receives the majority of their financial backing from the Koch Brothers.....please!
You should go into partnership with GeorgePhillip, form a corporation, write a book and watch the gelt roll in.

sara-haghdoosti.jpg

I'd hit that!

Forum List

Back