Obama speaks in generalities...

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
I don't want to get to overheated about what occurred tonight, but I do think McCain had a clear and decisive victory over Obama. It all comes down to something that Phil Bredesen, the Democratic governor of Tennessee recently said about Obama: “Instead of giving big speeches at big stadiums, he needs to give straight-up 10-word answers to people at Wal-Mart about how he would improve their lives.”

By that standard, McCain did extremely well and Obama did very poorly. McCain's answers were direct, confident and, most importantly, serious. When asked about what leaders he would consult as president, he first suggested Gen. Petraeus, architect of the surge, who he correctly praised as one of America's all-time great military leaders. By way of contrast, Obama suggested he would seek out the advice of a typical white person, er, his grandmother and his wife Michelle, who's still trying to decide whether she's proud of her country.

When asked "At what point does a baby get human rights, in your view?," McCain answered "At the moment of conception." Obama's answer here was flaming-dirigible bad:

Whether you are looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity is, you know, above my pay grade.

That spectacularly inept metaphor is going to haunt Obama throughout the rest of the campaign. News flash: There's not a job on the planet above the pay grade of the President of the United States. If you can't solve every problem and are humble about it, that's fine — but you can't get away with being unsure about the most defining moral issue in politics. Of course, he didn't put down the shovel:

But let me speak more generally about the issue of abortion. Because this is something, obviously, the country wrestles with. One thing that I’m absolutely convinced of is that there is a moral and ethical element to this issue. And So I think that anybody who tries to deny the moral difficulties and gravity of the abortion issue is not paying attention.

So after completely hedging on the question and declining to give a specific answer — he wants to speak "more generally" about the issue? And, lo and behold, speak more generally he does: "I’m absolutely convinced of is that there is a moral and ethical element to this issue." In related news, Obama is also "absolutely convinced" that the sky is blue, water is wet and puppies are adorable. None of this, however, tells me a thing about his judgment and moral worldview.
and more at....
The Corner on National Review Online

Change and hope are good....:cuckoo:

Obama's priorities couldn't be more clear....

1. Get out of Iraq
2. Develop American Energy Independence
3. Universal Healthcare

If you want specifics, go to Obama's website.

But you really don't, you just want to score cheap political points.

1. Get out of Iraq
3. Universal Healthcare

Obama's quote to this question...
When asked "At what point does a baby get human rights, in your view?,"
Obama's response....
Whether you are looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity is, you know, above my pay grade.

That is as clear as mud...

Obama's response....

Sounds like humility to me.

Something we haven't seen in the White House in quite a long time.

Sounds like humility to me.

Something we haven't seen in the White House in quite a long time.

More like a dodge.

I particularly like how he answered each question twice,once for each personality apparently.

"I am Pro Choice,yet Anti Abortion." "Marriage should be between an Man and Women,But I'm also for Gay Unions".

This guy is a Psycho.

Last edited:
More like a dodge.

I particularly like how he answered each question twice,once for each personality apparently.

"I am Pro Choice,yet Anti Abortion." "Marriage should be between an Man and Women,But I'm also for Gay Unions".

This guy is a Psycho.

More insults....

There is a definite distinction between civil unions and marriage. Marriage is a religious entity, civil unions are a legal entity. Too suble a concept for you prehaps.

More insults....

There is a definite distinction between civil unions and marriage. Marriage is a religious entity, civil unions are a legal entity. Too suble a concept for you prehaps.

You have to admit...he tries to play both sides of the coin.
Is that really a new type of politics?
At least Mccain answered directly.

Obama's answer was direct.

He believes in civil unions.

Obama's answer was direct.

He believes in civil unions.

I am Pro-Choice but I am anti abortion....take a position
MCcain supports civil unions as well but he said that marriage was between a man and a woman...

More insults....

No ...it's obvious that the reason it takes him 10 minutes to answer a question is because he has to judge which way the audience is going...that way he can hem and haw his way into every side of an issue and "nuance" his way to the popular answer.

Unfortunately for him his stuttering and loooooooong winded "specificity" bores the folks, and they get tired of trying to figure out what the hell he is talking about and they just tune him out.

Last edited:
No ...it's obvious that the reason it takes him 10 minutes to answer a question is because he has to judge which way the audience is going...that way he can hem and haw his way into every side of an issue and "nuance" his way to the popular answer.

Unfortunately for him his stuttering and loooooooong winded "specificity" bores the folks, and they get tired of trying to figure out what the hell he is talking about and they just tune him out.

kinda like when that 7 year old girl got him all choked up when she asked "why are you running for president?"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1dgxrMSEVY]YouTube - Barack Obama scares 7 year old girl Anti-American remarks[/ame]

1. Get out of Iraq
3. Universal Healthcare

kirk those are your priorities and none of them are cheap(tax wise). and if you want to believe barack hussein obama will accomplish any of those goals thats fine. we already know you are living in an illusionary dream world.

Last edited:
kinda like when that 7 year old girl got him all choked up when she asked "why are you running for president?"

YouTube - Barack Obama scares 7 year old girl Anti-American remarks

I kind of like this one....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4STLISLdxi4&feature=related]YouTube - Obama: Hold on one second 'sweetie'[/ame]

Hold on one sec.....
that and that issue is beyond my pay grade

Can be his new campaign slogan...
Its about as specific as his one now is...

I kind of like this one....

YouTube - Obama: Hold on one second 'sweetie'

Hold on one sec.....
that and that issue is beyond my pay grade

Can be his new campaign slogan...
Its about as specific as his one now is...

i like that one as well. the man is very clueless and is in way over is head the second his feet hit the floor every morning.

oh just to save kirk some time, yes barack hussein obama is very well spoken and sounds very smart when one of his speech writers writes him a wonderful speech and he reads it off a tele-prompter. do any of those speeches carry any substance? not a single one.

I really hope McCain goes to town with him in debates. I'm tired of all this playing nice. Clinton would be on her way to the White House if she said how she really felt about him all those chances she got.

Obama's response....

The Audacity of Death - WSJ.com

Mr. Obama said in a speech on the Illinois Senate floor that he could not accept that babies wholly emerged from their mother's wombs are "persons," and thus deserving of equal protection under the Constitution's 14th Amendment

So even after a child is born it is not a person according to BHO.

And the above is precisely why and how we are being manipulated, and how our society is being divided and conquered, too

The idiotic belief that every question has only two possible sides and that one must be either entirely on one side or the other.

Further, by allowing this sort of us/them thinking to pollute the body politic, the most radical zealots among us get to define where the dividing line is, too.

Nonsense!

Childish bumpersticker logic does NOT describe most of the problems facing us, nor do those idiotic slogans, however clever, give us solutions to the problems facing us, either, folks.

Obama did great. This was McCain's crowd. Or at least we all knew McCain was going to say what the crowd wanted to hear.

Thank God most Christians are waking up to the fact that religion isn't only about abortion and gay marriage.

And it seemed like McCain had prior knowledge of the questions. Didn't it seem that way to you?

And McCain is as dry as a bag of salt.

I really hope McCain goes to town with him in debates. I'm tired of all this playing nice. Clinton would be on her way to the White House if she said how she really felt about him all those chances she got.

Don't worry, McCain will blow up. You'll get your wish.

Questions:

Did McCain really denounce the United States when he was a POW? On camera, read a confession saying the US was wrong for occupying Viet Nam? And you guys say Kerry wasn't a hero but this guy was? Just because he got shot down and tortured?

Did Cindy McCain really steal and commit fraud to get perscription drugs when she was addicted to pain killers? She said the stress of McCain's Keating 5 scandal was the straw that broke the camels back.

Does McCain really have a big temper? Does he really call asians Gooks? Do we really want his finger on the button?

Did John McCain really leave his first wife when she was injured in a car accident? Apparently she gained a lot of weight so he basically pulled a John Edwards and cheated on his sick wife. Is that moral?

Forum List

Back