Obama, Republicans reach deal to extend tax cuts, unemployment benefits

So this means we add another couple of trillion to give money we don't have to millionaires and billionaires? Republicans think this is "good" for the country?

apparently your Ossiah also thinks so.

How will the unemployment benefits be paid for? More debt spending. Will the decrease in the payroll tax result in a decrease in Social Security benefits? If not, how can we afford to do that when SS is also underfunded?

I feel this is an irresponsible move by both parties.
the payroll taxes will stay the same
Well it's now coming to a point where "politically popular" and "fiscally responsible" policies are becoming mutually exclusive.

People are not meant to be on Unemployment forever. How will this extension be paid for? Unemployment Benefits are meant to be only a temporary solution. This is another one of those expenditures that will come back to haunt us at some point. More Debt. isn't going to help this Nation. Good to see some Bi-Partisanship though i guess.

We will use the capitalist maneuver: Borrow from China.

Fiscal sanity gets my vote

Irrespective of the party

The entire agreement is deficit spending across the board. Complete sell-out

and a pathetic sellout at that, on both sides.

Republicans said "We are very serious about fiscal discipline...now give us our deficit-increasing policy or we'll take our bag of candy and go home".

Democrats said "We are very serious about fiscal discipline...now give us our deficit-increasing policy or we'll take our bag of candy and go home"

And both sides said "hey, let's share our candy!". The compromise consisted of both sides getting their wish to expand the deficit and neither side having to make a single difficult decision. Too often, that's what DC means when they talk of "compromise".

Obama got new spending that will double on the cost of what he claimed extending tax cuts on the "rich" would cost.
The Tea Party candidates haven't been sworn in yet.

And when they are sworn in, they will go their own way on pet insanities, and do just as the rest of the Republicans. Fiscal responsibility is just something that no present politician seems to be interested in. We should be doing WPA type projects on the crumbling infrastructure in our National Parks, or CCC type training for our young that are unemployed.

The tax cuts should have expired for all as the first step toward fiscal sanity. Then the loopholes should have been addressed. The loopholes should be addressed now. If President Obama does not address the deficit in a sane manner, and show some backbone when dealing with the fiscally insane Republicans, we will have another Democratic candidate in 2012.

Republicans said "We are very serious about fiscal discipline...now give us our deficit-increasing policy or we'll take our bag of candy and go home".

Democrats said "We are very serious about fiscal discipline...now give us our deficit-increasing policy or we'll take our bag of candy and go home"

And both sides said "hey, let's share our candy!". The compromise consisted of both sides getting their wish to expand the deficit and neither side having to make a single difficult decision. Too often, that's what DC means when they talk of "compromise".

Pretty sick, huh?

Agree

The lesson learned from the last election was supposed to be "Get our financial house in order"

Tax cuts should have expired across the board. Increased revenue should go to the deficit
Unemployment benefits should end at 99 weeks. Beyond that is just welfare

Both sides showed they are more concerned with making short term political capital rather than long term economic progress

Last edited:
Obama got double what the tax cuts on upper income earners cost in new entitlements.

You couldn't give us those actual numbers, could you?

Here's what we know...both the tax cut extention and the unemployment extention are going to be paid for by BORROWING money.

It would be nice to know how much each event is really going to cost.

Obama got double what the tax cuts on upper income earners cost in new entitlements.

You couldn't give us those actual numbers, could you?

Here's what we know...both the tax cut extention and the unemployment extention are going to be paid for by BORROWING money.

It would be nice to know how much each event is really going to cost.

we have to pay for letting people keep the money they've earned? How does that work? I think you guys are very discriminatory, you let 50% of Americans off scott free, they pay ZERO in FEDERAL INCOME tax. Now you want to bitch cause you let high earners KEEEP SOME of that which THEY EARNED? and you think we have to PAY to let people keep WHAT THEY EARN? HOW FUCKED UP ARE YOU?

The joke is, if we reconstituted the WPA and the CCC, they'd be staffed by cheap Mexican labor because we've already been told that Americans won't do those types of jobs.

how fucking much money do we have to borrow to let 50% of americans pay zero federal income tax each year? How much money do we have to fucking borrow to accomplish that?

This deal...as Obama outlined it tonight, will end up costing more that the dreaded stimulus that almost every single "conservative" on this board hates. So please tell me how any of you "conservatives" can believe this compromise is a good thing?

"I'm not about to add 700 billion dollars to our deficit by allowing a permanent tax cut for the wealthiest Americans"

It's just griping his nerves to not be able to raise taxes on the rich and everybody else.

How many billions are we adding by tacking on yet another full year of unfunded UEC?

This deal...as Obama outlined it tonight, will end up costing more that the dreaded stimulus that almost every single "conservative" on this board hates. So please tell me how any of you "conservatives" can believe this compromise is a good thing?

I don't.

155 weeks of unemployment is utterly insane. There are jobs out there. They are not your fantacy job, but it is a job.

can everyone work the jobs that are out there? No, some people are limited, and exceptions can be made.

UI should have been pushed past Christmas, just so no one takes it in the ass at this time, but not past the new year.

And no surprise, none of the liberals are demanding that thier people cut spending so we don't have to keep borrowing.

Forum List

Back