Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

Noting but right wing complaints here.

And you wonder why we are falling behind in those subjects.

This is probably the funniest post in this thread...............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So how about you enlighten us as to how more money being thrown at something is going to improve the scores.

I agree with High Gravity, if there is no interest, all the money in the world won't teach them anything. ;)

If I'm an American teenager this means nothing to me, I'm not seeing any of that billion dollars. I just want to play with my I Phone and make out with my girlfriend.

Correct. Because you sit in a class with 34 other kids and have a teacher who doesn't have any time to impress you with the subject matter. Not that she would be allowed to anyway, thanks to No Child Left Behind.

Were currently preparing to make large cuts all Willy Nilly style across Defense and social programs and now Obama wants to spend money from his imaginary budget?

Oh great!! Obama's answer to everything is to just spend more money. Will he ever realize it's not HIS money??

We have thrown millions of dollars at education and it's not getting better, it's worse. This isn't the "magic" answer to enhancing the math and science education our children receive. Try giving teachers pay based on merit and improvement in scores, not just throw it out there hoping it works. We've tried that, it's time for something new.

Civics lesson #2....

It's not HIS money...you are correct. but it's not YOUR money either. It's OUR money and that's why we have elections at every level....to decide how best to further our society, according to the people's will.

Just because you don't like it....doesn't mean it's wrong.

edit: again...the day I get to decide what my tax dollars pay for and what they don't...I'll gladly extend you the same courtesy.

Last edited:
This is probably the funniest post in this thread...............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So how about you enlighten us as to how more money being thrown at something is going to improve the scores.

I agree with High Gravity, if there is no interest, all the money in the world won't teach them anything. ;)

If I'm an American teenager this means nothing to me, I'm not seeing any of that billion dollars. I just want to play with my I Phone and make out with my girlfriend.

Correct. Because you sit in a class with 34 other kids and have a teacher who doesn't have any time to impress you with the subject matter. Not that she would be allowed to anyway, thanks to No Child Left Behind.

In many such situations the teacher's time is mostly taken up keeping basic order in the classroom, trying to get wiseass brats to shut up, wake up, stay in their seats, off phones or other devices, etc. All of which is coupled with the fact that many of the "students" are rude, crude, disrespectful, dangerous, and devoid of any intention to learn anything to better educate themselves. School is a joke to them, just a place to hang out and be cool because that's what's important in their sorry ignorant minds.

In many such situations the teacher's time is mostly taken up keeping basic order in the classroom, trying to get wiseass brats to shut up, wake up, stay in their seats, off phones or other devices, etc. All of which is coupled with the fact that many of the "students" are rude, crude, disrespectful, dangerous, and devoid of any intention to learn anything to better educate themselves. School is a joke to them, just a place to hang out and be cool because that's what's important in their sorry ignorant minds.

I don't think all kids are like that or even the majority, but you're right, there are definitely kids like that in classes, and that makes the job of the teacher even harder. Plus, it's easier for a kid to act like that lost in a class of 40 as opposed to a class of 20.

you a teacher?

So giving teachers more money is going to help either of these situations?? I had on average 30-37 students in my classes when I attended public school. It was before the Fed DOE existed. ;)

So giving teachers more money is going to help either of these situations?? I had on average 30-37 students in my classes when I attended public school. It was before the Fed DOE existed. ;)

REWARDING teachers with more money. You're missing the key point. Punishing bad teachers will not really attract new ones to the profession. Rewarding the good ones will, and that will reduce class sizes.

I wonder where this 1 Billion is gonna come from??

Fairies, Pixie dust or what??

All we have been doing is throwing money at education and yet we fall further and further behind other countries.

Seems to me it's about time we stop throwing good money after bad at teachers etc and try something new.

Fair enough. What "new" do you propose?

first off get the teachers off their agendas, once a teacher is on a rant u forget the children learning.

example a child asks who was the first president of the USA.

most people know there was one before George Washington but i dont know how he was recongnized and by what, but im sick of teachers saying George Washington was the first president and a slave owner.

second find a way to educate teachers on new information and correct information.

example child asks was T rex a carnivore
teacher yes he was big and strong wrong there is evidence to suggest t rex was a scavenger.

after that than we really get into teaching and how it should be not what they want.

REWARDING teachers with more money. You're missing the key point. Punishing bad teachers will not really attract new ones to the profession. Rewarding the good ones will, and that will reduce class sizes.

are u saying punishing bad teachers will not bring in new teachers? really? so u dont want to fire bad teachers? this is like saying dont do anything to agitate our enemies, what? our enemies are already agitated for christ sake.

If the teachers really taught science, that's one thing. What they will teach is propaganda. Not to mention that by the time the 1B gets down to the teacher level, there won't be much left. Most of it will be sucked up by administrative costs.

A hundred billion wouldnt help these mindless civil servants improve the kiddies educations....

But it might enrich the unions, administrators,teachers, assistants, and aides to assisstants a bit more....

Forum List

Back