Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

It's time to get the Federal Government out of the Education business.
Ever since Government has taken over, our public schools have become worse and worse.

you misread the article. There is $100 million in an existing fund that would be directed to this program. The rest would be included in Obama's 2013 budget. Not that it matters, as he has yet to get a budget actually passed.

This line is what I was basing my point on:lol:: The administration will make $100 million available immediately out of an existing fund to incentivize top-performing teachers

Right. You got it wrong. It is saying there will be 100 million taken out of an existing fund... it does not state what the actual level of that existing fund is. Could it be 1 billion? Sure. It could also be 300 million.

Got it. I still don't think that is very sound idea financially.

Oh great!! Obama's answer to everything is to just spend more money. Will he ever realize it's not HIS money??

We have thrown millions of dollars at education and it's not getting better, it's worse. This isn't the "magic" answer to enhancing the math and science education our children receive. Try giving teachers pay based on merit and improvement in scores, not just throw it out there hoping it works. We've tried that, it's time for something new.

Last edited:
I love science and math.. hell, my career is based on it...

But why the FUCK is more FEDERAL money being thrown at education?? This is ridiculous...

It makes good 'press', as most talk about teacher need is... but this is NOT something the Fed should be doing...

All we have been doing is throwing money at education and yet we fall further and further behind other countries.

Seems to me it's about time we stop throwing good money after bad at teachers etc and try something new.

Apparently you didn't read the fucking link but repeat the same shitty arguments about money being thrown away.

When a fucking idiot politician says we need a billion more for this or that they are talking about throwing money at it.

If the headline read

Education funding to be re-prioritized

The article might be worth reading.

But then again tell me how paying an "elite corp of master teachers" 20K more a year is not throwing money at education?

Last edited:
At what point do we recognize that the money we are throwing at our problems isnt going to fix them? At what point are we going to recognize that if we are to be obedient to the law, educational issues belong to the States to deal with as they see fit and that the Federal Government doesnt and shouldnt have the authority to deal with education when it's best in the hands of parents and local government?

All we have been doing is throwing money at education and yet we fall further and further behind other countries.

Seems to me it's about time we stop throwing good money after bad at teachers etc and try something new.

Discplining the little brats would be a start but there is no interest in academics anymore, most teens would rather fuck around on their I Phone instead of pay attention to a science teacher.

I love science and math.. hell, my career is based on it...

But why the FUCK is more FEDERAL money being thrown at education?? This is ridiculous...

It makes good 'press', as most talk about teacher need is... but this is NOT something the Fed should be doing...

Havent you gotten the memo? The Constitution is meaningless. We dont have to keep oaths to uphold it. We should sell our integrity down the line for votes.

It's time to get the Federal Government out of the Education business.
Ever since Government has taken over, our public schools have become worse and worse.

Turn schools back to the states.

And let the government become more efficient? That's not the point of this. The point is to overwhelm and collapse the system.

There you go ,throw more money we do not have at a broken system ,brilliant "Obama" once again you have thrown us to the wolves.....he is just pandering for votes at the taxpayers expense...

$01e9-Obama.jpg

The bottom line is, the interest isn't there. We can invest 10 billion dollars but how will that get American kids more interested in math and science?

Noting but right wing complaints here.

And you wonder why we are falling behind in those subjects.

This is probably the funniest post in this thread...............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So how about you enlighten us as to how more money being thrown at something is going to improve the scores.

I agree with High Gravity, if there is no interest, all the money in the world won't teach them anything. ;)

This is probably the funniest post in this thread...............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So how about you enlighten us as to how more money being thrown at something is going to improve the scores.

I agree with High Gravity, if there is no interest, all the money in the world won't teach them anything. ;)

If I'm an American teenager this means nothing to me, I'm not seeing any of that billion dollars. I just want to play with my I Phone and make out with my girlfriend.

For all of you right wing fucktards, THE STATES already control education so don't blame the federal government for getting involved in something that state and local governments are already fucking up on.

Class sizes are on the rise. It was normal to have around 20 kids in a class a decade or so ago and now that norm is over 30 and in the worst cases, 40. If a class is 50 minutes long, there is simply no time for a teacher to help a student who is struggling, or challenge one that is having it easy.

The answer is not LESS money and LESS teachers, that will only make class sizes bigger. The answer is to hire more teachers and get the class sizes back down to realistically manageable levels.

And you do that, not by punishing bad teachers, but by rewarding good ones.

For all of you right wing fucktards, THE STATES already control education so don't blame the federal government for getting involved in something that state and local governments are already fucking up on.

Well, yea we had some of the brightest and best before the Federal Department of Education. It's been downhill since. Thanks Jimmah!!

Forum List

Back