Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

What would be the point? In an economy like this, an education is moot. It's not like there are jobs waiting for you. Except for McDonalds, and who needs math and science for that?

Then why is the president proposing we spend a billion dollars on math and science teachers?? Isn't this what this thread is about?? :confused:

I think you're missing my point. While I support investing in education, I think this is the wrong investment at the wrong time. We have bigger problems.

Something I'd be more interested in seeing is funding for adult job training, to help put Americans to work in areas that are looking for help, especially in things like health care.

I agree, those on welfare should be required to go to an adult training, child care to be provided. My mom did, she had a 9th grade education with 4 kids to support. School lasted about 4 months, she went to work at Sears in the credit dept. right after completion of the training.

Took us from welfare to owning our own home. :eusa_clap:

Pretty scary stuff. Obama plans to finance an "elite corps of master teachers" with taxpayer dollars while union educated kids lag behind in every subject but self esteem. Yeah Barry, that's the way to do it, throw money at the problem.

And what would you suggest? How do you think we should attract more teachers to reduce classroom sizes?

For all of you right wing fucktards, THE STATES already control education so don't blame the federal government for getting involved in something that state and local governments are already fucking up on.

Odd, we didnt have a problem with education until the Federal Government started getting involved. And your solution to the problem that is naturally caused by detaching parents/local communities from the process is to continue to detach the parents/local communities from the process and throw money down the drain to do things we already know don't work.

I dont think there is a single person that would have a problem wiht local governments spending more money to address education needs if the money exists and is being directed in a way that actually fixes the problem. When the Federal government spends billions of dollars when they dont have authority to spend in the first place and results are going backwards, it's not a very big surprise when people dont to illegally spend more money to not fix the problem.

Then why is the president proposing we spend a billion dollars on math and science teachers?? Isn't this what this thread is about?? :confused:

I think you're missing my point. While I support investing in education, I think this is the wrong investment at the wrong time. We have bigger problems.

Something I'd be more interested in seeing is funding for adult job training, to help put Americans to work in areas that are looking for help, especially in things like health care.

I agree, those on welfare should be required to go to an adult training, child care to be provided. My mom did, she had a 9th grade education with 4 kids to support. School lasted about 4 months, she went to work at Sears in the credit dept. right after completion of the training.

Took us from welfare to owning our own home. :eusa_clap:

When we agree, we agree. I love it.

Oh great!! Obama's answer to everything is to just spend more money. Will he ever realize it's not HIS money??

We have thrown millions of dollars at education and it's not getting better, it's worse. This isn't the "magic" answer to enhancing the math and science education our children receive. Try giving teachers pay based on merit and improvement in scores, not just throw it out there hoping it works. We've tried that, it's time for something new.

Civics lesson #2....

It's not HIS money...you are correct. but it's not YOUR money either. It's OUR money and that's why we have elections at every level....to decide how best to further our society, according to the people's will.

Just because you don't like it....doesn't mean it's wrong.

edit: again...the day I get to decide what my tax dollars pay for and what they don't...I'll gladly extend you the same courtesy.

Is it our money? or is it china's money that we are borrowing at an ungodly interest rate because our politicians are unwilling to actually live within our means and provide good stewardship over the Republic?

Four pages of conservatives whining, not one paragraph, not one sentence of substance.

How would the current public school system be improved?

Is it supposed to be our fault that you cant bother reading what we actually write?

Oh great!! Obama's answer to everything is to just spend more money. Will he ever realize it's not HIS money??

We have thrown millions of dollars at education and it's not getting better, it's worse. This isn't the "magic" answer to enhancing the math and science education our children receive. Try giving teachers pay based on merit and improvement in scores, not just throw it out there hoping it works. We've tried that, it's time for something new.

Civics lesson #2....

It's not HIS money...you are correct. but it's not YOUR money either. It's OUR money and that's why we have elections at every level....to decide how best to further our society, according to the people's will.

edit: again...the day I get to decide what my tax dollars pay for and what they don't...I'll gladly extend you the same courtesy.

Is it our money? or is it china's money that we are borrowing at an ungodly interest rate because our politicians are unwilling to actually live within our means and provide good stewardship over the Republic?

Ungodly interest rate? HAHAHA!!

I love clueless posts.

Civics lesson #2....

Ungodly interest rate? HAHAHA!!

I love clueless posts.

That certainly explains why you write so many. But it really doesnt address the questions, now does it?

I don't know what to say except your out of touch with middle America if you think throwing money to a corrupt institution hell bent on teaching kids what to think not to think freely from factual information. Really Mitt and the repubs need to make this the first institution where privatization or vouchers for competition will benefit us by bringing up standards and grades.

BTW I'd love to know why you seem to think we dont have enough teachers. Every state I've lived with is oversaturated with teachers. Many are trained as teachers and can't find employment.

I also don't see how larger class sizes make it more difficult to teach. Some of my best teachers in school were in large classes. Guess what, the teacher didnt have any problem with making the subjects interesting to the students (which was precisely why they had so many students trying to get into those classes).

The problem isnt the need for more teachers. The problem is we need teachers who actually care more about the students and teaching them then they care about their salary and benefits and fixing our broken culture so that students actually want to learn. You can do that without spending another dime of money from the Federal Government.

Pretty scary stuff. Obama plans to finance an "elite corps of master teachers" with taxpayer dollars while union educated kids lag behind in every subject but self esteem. Yeah Barry, that's the way to do it, throw money at the problem.

And what would you suggest? How do you think we should attract more teachers to reduce classroom sizes?

Say what? You want to attract teachers with some crazy scheme to create an "elite co0rps of master teachers" with a billion of taxpayer dollars while unemployment is around 18% in some areas? Sounds like Barry Hussein is pandering to his elitist left wing base and union educated lefties are too dumb to understand it.

BTW I'd love to know why you seem to think we dont have enough teachers. Every state I've lived with is oversaturated with teachers. Many are trained as teachers and can't find employment.

I also don't see how larger class sizes make it more difficult to teach. Some of my best teachers in school were in large classes. Guess what, the teacher didnt have any problem with making the subjects interesting to the students (which was precisely why they had so many students trying to get into those classes).

The problem isnt the need for more teachers. The problem is we need teachers who actually care more about the students and teaching them then they care about their salary and benefits and fixing our broken culture so that students actually want to learn. You can do that without spending another dime of money from the Federal Government.

Students trying to get into a class sounds like an elective. Those are always easier to teach. Try teaching a required class of Math in 50 minutes with 40 students when you are not allowed to deviate from the "Teach to the Test" criteria. You can't. You're toast before you even set foot in the classroom!

Now, how do you fix that situation? Right wingers seem to think you either get rid of the union or fire the teacher. That won't help. You put a different teacher in that same scenario and you get the same results. The key to changing the results is to change the scenario, and none of you want to do that, because it takes money.

And as a side note, ANYONE who has ANY job cares about their salary and their benefits. Suggesting teachers shouldn't is basically demanding they be slave labour. Fuck that.

Because borrowing money when we dont need to is needlessly enslaving ourselves to others.

its always a bad idea.

Really? So you think the better way is to buy a home or car with cash?

yes its called stay within ur means u dont need a corvette if u cant afford it.

Bankruptcy can be beneficial for people in a variety of circumstances. Some families might struggle to afford unexpected medical costs, while many people have lost their job due to company cutbacks and the poor economy. However, it is important for people to realize that everyone might be eligible for a fresh financial start even in these tough economic times.

According to the American Bankruptcy Institute, New Jersey residents filed roughly 20,000 bankruptcy petitions in 2007, and more than doubled that number in 2010 by filing roughly 41,000 petitions. Each person that filed for bankruptcy undoubtedly had concerns before submitting their petition, but in the end realized the many benefits bankruptcy has to offer.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Benefits Thousands of New Jersey Residents

All we have been doing is throwing money at education and yet we fall further and further behind other countries.

Seems to me it's about time we stop throwing good money after bad at teachers etc and try something new.

Fair enough. What "new" do you propose?

first off get the teachers off their agendas, once a teacher is on a rant u forget the children learning.

example a child asks who was the first president of the USA.

most people know there was one before George Washington but i dont know how he was recongnized and by what, but im sick of teachers saying George Washington was the first president and a slave owner.

second find a way to educate teachers on new information and correct information.

example child asks was T rex a carnivore
teacher yes he was big and strong wrong there is evidence to suggest t rex was a scavenger.

after that than we really get into teaching and how it should be not what they want.

so what you are saying is that you want YOUR own personal curriculum taught...if you want that, then homeschool your kids. The truth is, Washington was the first established President and yes...in fact, he was a slave owner....Thomas Jefferson inherited his land from his father, employed slaves and upon his death, Monticello had to be sold to pay off his debts. So much for fiscal Conservatism and being a self made man, huh?

Now I really don't give a shit.... but ignoring truths about history is revisionist history and not really history at all....the T-Rex? who gives a shit?

Because borrowing money when we dont need to is needlessly enslaving ourselves to others.

its always a bad idea.

Really? So you think the better way is to buy a home or car with cash?

Hi, you have received -1086 reputation points from Pale Rider.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Too fucking bad, dick head. I\'m glad it pisses you off. That was the idea. Now eat a neg twenty times as large as yours dumbass.

Regards,
Pale Rider
I never said it pisses me off. If you want to wait 20 years to save up cash for a house because you think that's best, what the fuck do I care if you're an idiot.

But just because you're an idiot, doesn't mean we have to run our country the way you demand.

Fair enough. What "new" do you propose?

first off get the teachers off their agendas, once a teacher is on a rant u forget the children learning.

example a child asks who was the first president of the USA.

most people know there was one before George Washington but i dont know how he was recongnized and by what, but im sick of teachers saying George Washington was the first president and a slave owner.

second find a way to educate teachers on new information and correct information.

example child asks was T rex a carnivore
teacher yes he was big and strong wrong there is evidence to suggest t rex was a scavenger.

after that than we really get into teaching and how it should be not what they want.

so what you are saying is that you want YOUR own personal curriculum taught...if you want that, then homeschool your kids. The truth is, Washington was the first established President and yes...in fact, he was a slave owner....Thomas Jefferson inherited his land from his father, employed slaves and upon his death, Monticello had to be sold to pay off his debts. So much for fiscal Conservatism and being a self made man, huh?

Now I really don't give a shit.... but ignoring truths about history is revisionist history and not really history at all....the T-Rex? who gives a shit?

what im saying is thats all the teacher would teach about george washington. THey wanted the kids to know there agenda that George Washington was a slave owner, and not his philosphy on it, what he accomplished in life, the war, none of that, the teachers wanted the kids to know he was a slave owner. Its called agenda ive called many a teachers on it thru school.

Forum List

Back