Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

How dare they want to teach children "science and stuff". Jesus is all we need to know. Jesus loved "People" and corporations are people. Jesus loved corporations. So we must bow down before corporations. It's what the Bible says to do and if I could read, I would point out the chapter and the verse.

hey Dean ....one of your buddies here Franco.....said that the great majority of Medical Doctors are Conservative/Republicans because many dont like some of the tenants of Obamacare......kinda goes against what you say,aint it?.....Republicans who are educated enough to be men of Medicine....who would have thought....:eusa_eh:.....maybe you better take the lad aside and give him the Dean indoctrination...obviously he hasnt heard yet..............

What does that have to do with science and math teachers?

YES --- for crying out loud -- there are currently enough. I don't know of ANY schools who are canceling math/science classes for "lack of teachers"... Can we get off that?

Maybe it has more to do with teachers that know WHY math and science are important in the real working world..

We'd need MORE teachers in those areas if we EXPANDED the curriculum in those areas. Like offering advanced application oriented classes like software programming, meterology, electronics, or astronomy. Stuff that would MOTIVATE more interest in math and science.

If anything, we need teachers in those areas who aren't EXPERIMENTING with "modern math" or "whole language" or any number of failed retarding academic ideas. Ditching politically correct indoctrination -- such as "the environment" as the primary application cited in the math and science texts would allow exposure to more areas.

Less College of Education prep -- MORE College of Eng and Sciences requirements for math/science teachers.

Again it is not a question of filling Science and Math teacher slots. You can take any Industrial Arts or Phys Ed teacher, waive your magic wand and make them a Physics teacher. It doesn't make them a good Physics teacher.

You need good Techno-Geeks to teach Math and Science. As of now, there is no incentive to accept what a teacher makes

You can also "not wave a magic wand" and make good Physics teachers out of folks who spent TOO MUCH TIME over at the College of Education and not ENOUGH time over at the Colleges of Science and Engineering.

In fact, -- I'd put up any decent right-hearted 50 yr old Engineer who is being outsourced and betcha they do better in motivating the topics and getting results than your "skilled" College of Education graduate..

YES --- for crying out loud -- there are currently enough. I don't know of ANY schools who are canceling math/science classes for "lack of teachers"... Can we get off that?

Maybe it has more to do with teachers that know WHY math and science are important in the real working world..

We'd need MORE teachers in those areas if we EXPANDED the curriculum in those areas. Like offering advanced application oriented classes like software programming, meterology, electronics, or astronomy. Stuff that would MOTIVATE more interest in math and science.

If anything, we need teachers in those areas who aren't EXPERIMENTING with "modern math" or "whole language" or any number of failed retarding academic ideas. Ditching politically correct indoctrination -- such as "the environment" as the primary application cited in the math and science texts would allow exposure to more areas.

Less College of Education prep -- MORE College of Eng and Sciences requirements for math/science teachers.

Again it is not a question of filling Science and Math teacher slots. You can take any Industrial Arts or Phys Ed teacher, waive your magic wand and make them a Physics teacher. It doesn't make them a good Physics teacher.

You need good Techno-Geeks to teach Math and Science. As of now, there is no incentive to accept what a teacher makes

You can also "not wave a magic wand" and make good Physics teachers out of folks who spent TOO MUCH TIME over at the College of Education and not ENOUGH time over at the Colleges of Science and Engineering.

In fact, -- I'd put up any decent right-hearted 50 yr old Engineer who is being outsourced and betcha they do better in motivating the topics and getting results than your "skilled" College of Education graduate..

You don't go from the College of Science and Engineering to teaching. You get a well paying Engineering job. Top technical students don't want to teach. If you major in English, Languages, History or the arts you have no choice but to teach. Computer Science majors and engineers have options and avoid teaching

Yep.

And for anyone unfamiliar with the typical high school classroom, it takes a whole lot more than being "smart" to teach. Super intelligent people have a hard time communicating with dumb teenagers. And many of them are really, really dumb. :lol:

I just can't picture a chemical engineer or neuroscientist doing lunch or bathroom duty.

BTW - In NJ, you MAJOR in your discipline and MINOR in education at the high school level.

Yep.

And for anyone unfamiliar with the typical high school classroom, it takes a whole lot more than being "smart" to teach. Super intelligent people have a hard time communicating with dumb teenagers. And many of them are really, really dumb. :lol:

I just can't picture a chemical engineer or neuroscientist doing lunch or bathroom duty.

BTW - In NJ, you MAJOR in your discipline and MINOR in education at the high school level.

Engineers do plenty of communication jobs. Just being with the juvenile sales force at a trade show qualifies as chaperoning and "lunch duty".. :eusa_angel: Or going out to colleges and recruiting. But more that that -- they do "training" all the time. Albeit with somewhat motivated grown-ups, but the successful schools TREAT the kids with respect and like grown-ups. See Jerry Browns -- Oakland Military Academy for an example of that.

I don't write off dumb people. If i did, I'd have more than one poster at USMB on my IGNORE list.. I believe that you CAN reach the hard cases. Sometimes by just forcing them to consider what they want to be doing in 10 years. I look at the Burger King kid and see a potential Chemical Engineer. You can't get the hard cases INTO the advanced classes where they SEE what the applications are for math and science. So I believe, you gotta take the motivation to THEM --- the earlier the better.

The couple teachers that reached me -- didn't do it because of the curriculum. THey taught me to take responsibility and how to think. And that's something that career scientists and engineers have figured out how to do.

I had one H.S. Physic teacher that gave me the class for 2 days.. Wanted me to a segment on how transistors worked. He sat in the back -- and didn't say a word for those 2 days. Because it scared the CRAP out of me having to prepare that much material and answer all the questions, I learned how to learn independently.

Typical of liberal scum, take money from engineers and scientists in the DoD and NASA that actually implement their training into productive outputs and give that money to teachers to blow on so-called improving science in the classroom.

If Obamination is getting rid of people that actually use science in the DoD and NASA...then why the hell train more people to get a degree that won't get them a job???:eusa_whistle:

Oh, most kids today are too stupid and lazy to do science and math, but as usual liberals believing spending money will force them to become the next Einstein. :badgrin:

I'm sure there are plenty of gifted math/science majors that could inspire students to pursue those fields. However, as rw noted, they can make a lot more money in other fields.

My point is that being talented in math or science does not necessarily translate into being a talented teacher. Inter-personal skills count just as much, if not more.

My son is an engineering major and a math enthusiast. I hate to say this, but even I don't understand half of what he says. He sees the world completely differently than I. His college essay on mountain climbing had a number/angle/ratio etc. in every sentence.

Maybe he could communicate with younger students, but I really don't think so. They would have to be of the same mind. Unfortunately, brilliance is not that easily shared.

Last edited:
Typical of liberal scum, take money from engineers and scientists in the DoD and NASA that actually implement their training into productive outputs and give that money to teachers to blow on so-called improving science in the classroom.

If Obamination is getting rid of people that actually use science in the DoD and NASA...then why the hell train more people to get a degree that won't get them a job???:eusa_whistle:

Oh, most kids today are too stupid and lazy to do science and math, but as usual liberals believing spending money will force them to become the next Einstein. :badgrin:

Are you really as nuts as that post makes you seem?

Let's sum it up for you idiot.

Obamination has made huge cuts to the DoD and NASA which is causing scientists and engineers to lose their good jobs, but then he turns around and promises to spend $1B on "education" in "science."

Science and math are down in the US because most kids aren't interested in those subjects, but your plan to fire people that actually work with science and math in the real world to give teachers more money to blow on science. Insanity is your middle name.

should u be asking anyone else that question? fix the problems at home first.

Uh, uh, uh....I have this uh great plan. Uh, we are going to use the money saved firing thousands of scientists and engineers associated with the NASA and DoD budget and spend that money along with more to be uh, uh $1 billion so that uh Littly Johnny in Harlem can be the next great scientist.

Uh, plus this is a stimulus for science teachers across America.

Obamination has made huge cuts to the DoD and NASA which is causing scientists and engineers to lose their good jobs, but then he turns around and promises to spend $1B on "education" in "science."

Science and math are down in the US because most kids aren't interested in those subjects, but your plan to fire people that actually work with science and math in the real world to give teachers more money to blow on science. Insanity is your middle name.

You think there is a limited supply of scientists and engineers? That if you use them as teachers they will not be available for other professions?

Obama recognizes we are falling behind in math and science. He wants tp start at ground level and get better teachers in the field. Good teachers will make students less stupid and lazy

But what the hell do conservatives care? We can continue to do what we have been doing.....recruit our scientists and engineers from other countries

Uh, uh, uh....I have this uh great plan. Uh, we are going to use the money saved firing thousands of scientists and engineers associated with the NASA and DoD budget and spend that money along with more to be uh, uh $1 billion so that uh Littly Johnny in Harlem can be the next great scientist.

Can you show where thousands of scientists and engineers have been fired?

Idiot...how did we produce the engineers and scientists in the DoD, NASA, military industrial complex, etc.....if we're sooooooo bad in science education?

How the hell do you improve science by firing people that actually do scientific related work? Oh, give it to so-called science teachers teaching little Johnny in the ghetto instead of on people that actually do real world work.

We understand, you don't like people that actually do real world work, you live in a fucked up demented world of make believe.

You think there is a limited supply of scientists and engineers? That if you use them as teachers they will not be available for other professions?

Obama recognizes we are falling behind in math and science. He wants tp start at ground level and get better teachers in the field. Good teachers will make students less stupid and lazy

But what the hell do conservatives care? We can continue to do what we have been doing.....recruit our scientists and engineers from other countries

Try Google dumbfuck.

The pending DoD cuts from the budget crisis is predicted to claim over a million jobs.....but of course there can't be any engineers and scientists among that group.

Nevermind the Shuttle Program cuts, the DoD buget cuts the past 2 years...it's all a lie in your fucked up head.

Can you show where thousands of scientists and engineers have been fired?

Investing in America? What a concept! The dupes are such brainwashed cut spending cultists they're off the walll MORONS. Has NOTHING to do with the end of the shuttle program or imaginary DoD cuts.

Thank god Dems have some intelligence to think about the future. See private space program, aternative energy projects, even IF Chinese dumping ruined Solyndra, 1 of 38 projects. Pub fear mongering is close to treasonous. Total A-HOLES, dupes/haters. See ACA, sig pp3.

Here's your fucked up world in action...

Lay off a scientist or engineer working in a Govt contractor position suporting the DoD or NASA while making $100,000/year in a perfomance based contract for 1-3 years.

Make that scientist or engineer take a $40,000 year job teaching science to a bunch of kids that most likely won't ever step foot in a science/engineering job. Also, throw in his teacher job isn't performance based, so he can sleepwalk to retirement.

There is your job stimulus bullshit, force people to work lower paying jobs or just give up working together.

Investing in America? What a concept! The dupes are such brainwashed cut spending cultists they're off the walll MORONS. Has NOTHING to do with the end of the shuttle program or imaginary DoD cuts.

Thank god Dems have some intelligence to think about the future. See private space program, aternative energy projects, even IF Chinese dumping ruined Solyndra, 1 of 38 projects. Pub fear mongering is close to treasonous. Total A-HOLES, dupes/haters. See ACA, sig pp3.

Last edited:
Oh, if Obamination is for educating people in science then why did $36M of the NASA budget cuts come from NASA's outreach education program???

Because there was no teacher's union involved with that education.....

Forum List

Back