Obama May Veto His Tax Proposal if Not Granted Power to Raise Debt Ceiling

It's a moot point because democrats would have never held such a thing as the debt ceiling hostage, republicans either before the teapublicans joined congress and felt empowered to use terrorist tactics to get what they wanted. As a debt reduction measure it is an abject failure as a political weapon it is much like a ABomb in that it is too potentially devastating to the country at large to leave in the hands of people would use it as a first strike.

Obviously republicans are only doing it because democrats are in power, but that doesn't answer my question.

How many other aspects of the legislative would you be okay transferring to the executive just because you don't like the way the legislative is handling it? If the legislative isn't doing their job that's a problem with the people, who keep voting these dumb shits back into power while they have an approval rating of about 17%. It's no reason to grant the president more power. I don't care who the president is, that's a slippery slope I don't even want to approach.

Well then the solution is to get rid of the dangerous and useless policy altogether like every other country in the world then no one can use it for a weapon. There are much safer ways to gain political leverage in this country than trying to default on our debts.

I agree that we should get rid of it. But I want to be able to get rid of it because we don't need it, not just because we don't like it. Again, that would require the american people to stop voting in the same people who caused this situation, so I have little hope.

Obama May Veto His Tax Proposal if Not Granted Power to Raise Debt Ceiling​

by Tony Lee
6 Dec 2012

On Wednesday, President Barack Obama indicated that having unlimited powers to raise the debt ceiling without Congress’s approval may be more important to him than raising taxes -- and he may veto his own tax hike proposal to take the country over the fiscal cliff if he does not get his ultimate wish.

Addressing corporate CEOs at the Business Roundtable, Obama said using the debt ceiling as leverage to get more spending cuts was a “bad strategy for America” and “it is a game I will not play.”

According to The Hill, Obama also told the business leaders that they “should not accept going through” another round of debt-ceiling negotiations like the one in 2011.

Das Feurher has spoken.

You and Breitbart are idiots.

At first I was against it, not just for Obama, but for any President....but then on another thread Kissmy mentioned that it was not the president that is spending the money that raising the debt ceiling would have to cover. It is CONGRESS who is responsible for the spending that requires the debt ceiling to be raised, NOT the President....and if congress can't do their job and reign in spending then the country and the president should not be held hostage by them for money that THEY, CONGRESS has already spent....if you owe money, you PAY YOUR BILLS, (this is the moral thing to do, period) whether you have to put one of your bills on a credit card or not, pay it....

THEN, those of us in the stock market with our retirements and so forth won't be subject to this roller coaster of ups and downs that CONGRESS has put us in....

And CONGRESS will be solely responsible for the debt ceiling rise for their spending, will be under the microscope for the debt ceiling rise and their lack of management, and these stupid GAMES that congress is playing and shuffling of blame congress is trying to pass off on to the president for their OWN SPENDING will cease.....and HOPEFULLY congress will do their jobs....

Which congress?

the one that passed the bush tax cuts.

At first I was against it, not just for Obama, but for any President....but then on another thread Kissmy mentioned that it was not the president that is spending the money that raising the debt ceiling would have to cover. It is CONGRESS who is responsible for the spending that requires the debt ceiling to be raised, NOT the President....and if congress can't do their job and reign in spending then the country and the president should not be held hostage by them for money that THEY, CONGRESS has already spent....if you owe money, you PAY YOUR BILLS, (this is the moral thing to do, period) whether you have to put one of your bills on a credit card or not, pay it....

THEN, those of us in the stock market with our retirements and so forth won't be subject to this roller coaster of ups and downs that CONGRESS has put us in....

And CONGRESS will be solely responsible for the debt ceiling rise for their spending, will be under the microscope for the debt ceiling rise and their lack of management, and these stupid GAMES that congress is playing and shuffling of blame congress is trying to pass off on to the president for their OWN SPENDING will cease.....and HOPEFULLY congress will do their jobs....

Which congress?

We need a compromise.

Which congress?

If that is the case, why are we going into the fifth year without a budget from Congress? Democrats in the Senate from 2008 to the present have refused to agree on a fiscal budget and have blocked any efforts from Congress to pass a balanced budget. We can all thank Nancy Reid for that.

Which congress?

If that is the case, why are we going into the fifth year without a budget from Congress? Democrats in the Senate from 2008 to the present have refused to agree on a fiscal budget and have blocked any efforts from Congress to pass a balanced budget. We can all thank Nancy Reid for that.

no. you can thank the teatards who refused to send anything rational because they think compromise means we do what they want.

now maybe if they'll get out of the way a deal can be struck now.

by Tony Lee
6 Dec 2012

On Wednesday, President Barack Obama indicated that having unlimited powers to raise the debt ceiling without Congress’s approval may be more important to him than raising taxes -- and he may veto his own tax hike proposal to take the country over the fiscal cliff if he does not get his ultimate wish.

Greedy dictatorial bastard.

no. you can thank the teatards who refused to send anything rational because they think compromise means we do what they want.

No deal will be struck with Obama saying give me congressional powers.

The buck doesn't stop with congress. Obama apparently still doesn't know how to lead.

Which congress?

The budget process has become an impossible situation since it became the central political gripe of the republican party, not that we need an omnibus spending bill any more than a debt ceiling, entire political careers hang in the balance over what has become a self defeating process initially intended to get spending under control. The deficit hawks need to quit setting their sights so high trying to recklessly accomplish in a single term what a responsible government might be able to accomplish in twenty years.

The buck doesn't stop with congress. Obama apparently still doesn't know how to lead.

someone's got to make congress do what they're supposed to. boehner seems singularly incapable of it.

so assume i might agree with you... (although I don't in this instance) ... how do we assure that the radical right of the GOP doesn't do what they did the last time the debt ceiling came up?

they need to do their job.

now... i might do things differently... i might bring an emergency action before the supreme court to compel congress to do what it has to do and meet it's obligation to lift the debt ceiling on the basis that it's money previously authorized BY THEM.

the problem then arises that this particular supreme court would probably decline to hear the case as a purely political matter...

so then what?

it's easy to say "lead"...

when you're not the one dealing with a bunch of petulent extremists.

by Tony Lee
6 Dec 2012

Addressing corporate CEOs at the Business Roundtable, Obama said using the debt ceiling as leverage to get more spending cuts was a “bad strategy for America” and “it is a game I will not play.”

According to The Hill, Obama also told the business leaders that they “should not accept going through” another round of debt-ceiling negotiations like the one in 2011.

Das Feurher has spoken.

Let the motherfucker veto it! He won!

It's a moot point because democrats would have never held such a thing as the debt ceiling hostage, republicans either before the teapublicans joined congress and felt empowered to use terrorist tactics to get what they wanted. As a debt reduction measure it is an abject failure as a political weapon it is much like a ABomb in that it is too potentially devastating to the country at large to leave in the hands of people would use it as a first strike.

Never? Are you sure about that?

when other than after the 2010 elections has anyone ever treated the debt ceiling as anything but an administrative act?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZ39Zet97Q]"O" the Debt Ceiling - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELkbDdPeL7I]Harry Reid in '06: Raising debt limit last thing we should do, will weaken country, hurt economy - YouTube[/ame]

Keep asking and I will keep answering.

Obviously republicans are only doing it because democrats are in power, but that doesn't answer my question.

How many other aspects of the legislative would you be okay transferring to the executive just because you don't like the way the legislative is handling it? If the legislative isn't doing their job that's a problem with the people, who keep voting these dumb shits back into power while they have an approval rating of about 17%. It's no reason to grant the president more power. I don't care who the president is, that's a slippery slope I don't even want to approach.

Well then the solution is to get rid of the dangerous and useless policy altogether like every other country in the world then no one can use it for a weapon. There are much safer ways to gain political leverage in this country than trying to default on our debts.

The real solution is to stop spending more money than we have.

someone's got to make congress do what they're supposed to. boehner seems singularly incapable of it.

so assume i might agree with you... (although I don't in this instance) ... how do we assure that the radical right of the GOP doesn't do what they did the last time the debt ceiling came up?

now... i might do things differently... i might bring an emergency action before the supreme court to compel congress to do what it has to do and meet it's obligation to lift the debt ceiling on the basis that it's money previously authorized BY THEM.

the problem then arises that this particular supreme court would probably decline to hear the case as a purely political matter...

so then what?

Money previously authorized by other Congresses.

As far as leadership goes.... You don't play the fiddle while America burns when you're president.

Which congress?
Both Houses....Senate and house of representatives!

Unless you are asking ala congress 111 or congress 112 etc??? Cuz the congress in session will just blame the previous congressional session????

and Merry Christmas Elvis in case I don't catch up with you again before Christmas! (My shop is hopping, so I am really busy this time of year!)

I love it when people who don't understand why we have the debt ceiling insist it serves no purpose. This actually forces both Congress and the President to admit that we need to borrow more money to pay our debts, and gives the voters, the people who actually have to pay that debt, a chance to hold them accountable. Eliminating it, or pretending that the fault actually belongs to either Congress or the President, just makes all of you look stupid.

The real solution is to stop spending more money than we have.

Maybe, but that has nothing to do with the debt ceiling and holding it hostage was both ineffective and the most reckless thing I have seen our government do since starting the Iraq war. Maybe you like the government to do shortsighted foolish things all the time but for others who prefer careful deliberation in government policy it's rather horrifying to see such towering stupidity in action.

Last edited:

Which congress?

If you think the Bush tax cuts are the problem you should have no problem with eliminating all of them, including the ones that helped the poor and the middle class. After that happens, and the deficit is still there, I am sure you will be happy to argue that we should repeal the Clinton and Regan cuts also. Not sure what you are going to do after we raise taxes to WWII levels and still spend more money than we have, but I am sure you will still find a way to blame it on tax cuts just because it cannot possibly be your fault.

The budget process has become an impossible situation since it became the central political gripe of the republican party, not that we need an omnibus spending bill any more than a debt ceiling, entire political careers hang in the balance over what has become a self defeating process initially intended to get spending under control. The deficit hawks need to quit setting their sights so high trying to recklessly accomplish in a single term what a responsible government might be able to accomplish in twenty years.

Why don't you save yourself some time and simply type "I am so stupid all I can do is babble incoherently" instead of actually babbling incoherently?

so then what?

I happen to think that Congress is supposed to live within its budget. Given that, I don't see the people that insist that Boehner actually do that as the problem. I do, however, agree that Boehner cannot get the House to actually pass a balanced budget, probably because, like you, he sees no reason not to spend money.

Forum List

Back